2015 French Open Semifinal: Djokovic v. Murray

Make your picks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Andy has been displaying some excellent offense lately. Both guys are undefeated on clay this year. Murray beat Ferrer for the first time on clay and Novak beat Rafa for the first time at RG. What are your thoughts on this one?

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Murray relies too much on dragging Djokovic's level down. That can work as Nadal did force a few uncharacteristic misses from Novak today, and Murray is a better mover than Nadal even on clay at this point (boy does it feel weird to type that). He also is better at breaking the rhythm. But I have no idea how he'll hit through Novak consistently. Unless Djokovic makes a lot of errors and can't clean up his game I don't see Murray winning.

Mile

Masters Champion
Reactions
Djoker will, maybe, ease the hand for a set. But he will win.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This one could get interesting. Andy has been cool on clay this year, smiling like a newly wed and moseying through players who previously brushed him aside, and doing it with ease. He had taken control of the Oz final in January when he went AWOL, cuckoo, quack quack, for 12 of the final 13 games. But he's kinda sneaking about under the radar this year on clay.

Nole meanwhile, has looked invincible, and he's controlling his emotions, mastering all aspects of his game, but the pressure is more or less all on his side. The levels of expectation are now complete, given his record against Andy since Andy's back op, and he's expected to take the much coveted crown from here on in. It could get interesting. I expect Nole to continue his great form and win, but if Andy can stay close to him, keep at him, he has a fighters chance of causing the favourite to buckle, like he has in the past in other big matches.

Huge test for both men, but I think Novak should win...

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Mile said:
Djoker will, maybe, ease the hand for a set. But he will win.

This is going better than I thought or hoped; didn't expect either Roger or Rafa would get to the QF! Nole taking Rafa out makes it all the better instead of commentators running down the win because of how poorly Rafa's playing at this time! :nono :angel: :dodgy:

Aung Aung

Reactions
Although I always root for Andy, i like both players(usually root for novak when he is not playing andy). So I would be happy as long as they play a good match. One thing for sure is whoever wins should finish the match in 4 sets max. If he can gets through in 3, it would be better. When they play, the first 2 sets usually last over an hour each so they will surely wear each other out if the match goes to fifth set. Then whoever wins will have to face big-hitting from either Tsonga or Wawrinka in the final.

I just want the winner of this tie to grab a french open. Djokovic is a favourite right now though.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Andy has been displaying some excellent offense lately. Both guys are undefeated on clay this year. Murray beat Ferrer for the first time on clay and Novak beat Rafa for the first time at RG. What are your thoughts on this one?

So, both the big beast and little beast are gone on the same day. :cool:

Andy is unbeaten in clay this year and is in good mood too. His first serve is really good right now. His second serve is still bad and that would be the deciding factor in the match. But, these two push each other always. Andy's "sick days" are long gone. Moreover, Novak is sure to win a set and then do some mental walkabouts and so I expect this to go to full five sets.

IMO, the winner is not in doubt here, only the number of sets.

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
It's a lopsided 18-8 h2h, and Murray hasn't beaten Nole in 2 years.

Maybe it is just me, but I don't see this being that much of a contest. On hard courts, I would give Andy more if a chance. Here, it's all Novak.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
Djokovic is obviously favourite but I won't vote against Murray. I don't fancy his chances if it goes five because of his losing streak against Nole and I'd be shocked if he could do it in straights, therefore I voted for Andy in 4.

This logic paid off handsomely in the Madrid Masters final ;) .

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I was a perfect 0-4 in the QF's. On that note I pick Murray and Tsonga to win :)

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^I got Murray and Djokovic right :)
I'm hoping for Djokovic vs Wawrinka. But I wouldn't be shocked if it went the other way. So many intangibles. And I haven't been able to get my head around who the weather favours

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Playing someone Nole's really familiar with like Murray, not to mention someone who is playing great, should help him deal with the extra pressure and remain focused after beating Nadal. I think Nole will be fine mentally but Murray also is 15-0 on clay this year as crazy as that is so it won't be a walk in the park.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Playing someone Nole's really familiar with like Murray, not to mention someone who is playing great, should help him deal with the extra pressure and remain focused after beating Nadal. I think Nole will be fine mentally but Murray also is 15-0 on clay this year as crazy as that is so it won't be a walk in the park.

It is crazy, but it's still clay, and it's Novak, who has been playing at level above everyone else (with just one or two blips) since last fall.

Novak in 3.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I am going with Novak in three because he didn't make it this far to at least not make it to the final. I certainly don't think he is going to let Murray of all people rob him at the shot for a career slam.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:
Even when I take my Murray hat off and accept that Djokovic is probably going to win, the way Andy is playing I'll be genuinely very surprised if it is done in straight sets.

Murray says it's the pilates that are helping him.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/tennis/32858183

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
I think the monkey that's been on the back of Nole has been Rafa and that's done now.
I think it will take a Herculean effort from those remaining in the draw to keep him from that trophy.

That said Nole in 4...cause he does have walkabouts sometimes.:rolleyes:

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
golds girl said:
I think the monkey that's been on the back of Nole has been Rafa and that's done now.
I think it will take a Herculean effort from those remaining in the draw to keep him from that trophy.

That said Nole in 4...cause he does have walkabouts sometimes.:rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly. I picked him in four as well.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'm banking on all the pressure being on Djokovic now. He finally beat Nadal but he still has to win two more just to win that French Open. He might already be planning his Wimbledon after yesterday. Murray is playing as well as I have ever seen him play, and reached his seeding so there is no pressure. If he could get it to a fifth set, we'll get to see which cracks first. My homerism is strong. Murray in five.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Kirijax said:
I'm banking on all the pressure being on Djokovic now. He finally beat Nadal but he still has to win two more just to win that French Open. He might already be planning his Wimbledon after yesterday. Murray is playing as well as I have ever seen him play, and reached his seeding so there is no pressure. If he could get it to a fifth set, we'll get to see which cracks first. My homerism is strong. Murray in five.

Well if he can keep his tongue off the Terre Battu! How many times have I criticized him for being passive, trying to counterpunch and outlast players? That's ok for some, but not with Nole! :nono :angel: :dodgy: