Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
Front242 said:
Riotbeard said:
Front242 said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
No, I don't. In fact, I distinctly remember him getting broken in the 4th set, and then fighting to break back, and actually (marginally) raising his game at that instant. That's the very opposite of bending over, otherwise he would have just thrown in the towel at that point. I doubt he got broken to lose the match because he just decided "screw it" and bent over. He got tight on match point, and the crowd didn't help, sure. But "bent over"? How?

Well it was hardly Ferrer level bending over but frankly wtf was the point in the effort to break back to 4-4 in that 4th set only to throw it away as he did at the end? Hence, my allusion to bending over. Champions perform better under pressure than that and ending on a double fault was just the final nail in the coffin. Nadal actually hit a winning powder puff 77mph serve at one stage and either it was him playing super safe or trying to be clever by throwing Novak off, but either way it worked. Wouldn't it have been better to at least try and keep that last ball in the court for a start? Maybe Nadal takes a swipe at said wimpy serve and nets it and the match isn't over. He handed it to him.

My guess, Novak wasn't feeling well, but when Rafa looked injured, he thought maybe I can limp across the finish line. Rafa's back injury lasted only 2 games, Novak wilted.

My view: Novak wasn't feeling well. He handled not being 100% physically poorly and choked mentally.

Back injury? He just seemed to be getting tired. People hunch over trying to catch their breath. Either way he screwed up sadly.

That was based on the commentary from J-Mac. They interpreted it as Rafa's back hurting, as we all did making back related puns on the live chat. Obviously rafa's back did not flair up in any meaningful way, but it appeared so for a minute.

Jmac is a clown. I've hurt my back lifting weights loads of times and you certainly don't want to hunch over like that and bend your spine if your back is sore. Just catching his breath. They both looked pretty damn tired out there to me and nothing more. I heard Djokovic puked 3 times but I missed it I guess popping in at out of the room for food, glass of water, etc.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm late coming back to the conversation. It certainly wasn't a match for the ages, eh? Djokovic seemed ill, and then Nadal started to try to out-do him for weary. I don't know what was going on, but I'll take the result. RG can be a war of attrition, but it's rare that that happens in the last match.

Garro

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Couldn't help but feel bad for Djokovic personally. Nadal's worst clay court season in ten years (going into the French), and four consecutive losses to Djokovic and he still didn't even push him to five. I'd like to think he'll have more chances but who knows, Rafa could still be here years from now. Novak has to fix whatever mental block is hurting him at the slams.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I know he's not hugely popular round here, but I like his articles and Peter Bodo wrote an excellent article about the final.

He confirms Cali's theory, by the way, that "one of Djokovic’s fatal flaws in matches with Nadal is the difficultly he has sustaining the admittedly stunning level to which he sometimes takes his game. Furthermore, he doesn’t always play that elusive A-game when he most needs it."

Rafa, after the match, sounds poetic and profound about his recent struggles, particularly the injury-loss to Stanley Wow! in Oz:

“Of course I can always accept a loss, but a loss is something that travels with you during this long journey, you see, during our long careers.

“There are weeks sometimes, you know, when one has the feeling that one is losing more matches than winning matches; therefore, a loss is some type of company which lingers, if I can say..."

markus1

Club Member
Reactions
Djokovic wanted it way too much and maybe it was the reason for his bad performance. He had to take it easy and then he would have chances to win, imo.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Just a thing about the scheduling and putting Rafa on Lenglen on the first day, and for the QF.

I think he should have been on Chatrier the first day, as a sign of respect for the defending champion. The notion that his match wasn't so big a match as Novak versus ??? doesn't hold water, and the fact that Rafa had eight FO titles and was the four-time defending champ meant they should have shown greater appreciation of him, treated him better, and given him the privilege of opening his defence on the main court.

As for the QF, he should also have been on Chatrier, but I could understand that they wanted to show the hopeless Monfils spectacularly tank away a fifth set after gathering the full momentum of winning the previous two.

Nadal could have played on lenglen in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. It's not as bad as Wimbledon putting Pete on court 2 his last year - let's see if they do that to Roger this year :nono - but the great champions have earned their privileges and the opening match should always give the fans on the main court the chance to see their champ start his defence...

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
“There are weeks sometimes, you know, when one has the feeling that one is losing more matches than winning matches; therefore, a loss is some type of company which lingers, if I can say..."

I have a feeling Nadal did not originally state the above in English...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
Kieran said:

Well, it doesn't matter what language he said it in, might have been English or Spanish, it's fairly profound...

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
Kieran said:

Well, it doesn't matter what language he said it in, might have been English or Spanish, it's fairly profound...

Which is why I don't think he said it in English. If Nadal's English has improved to the point of using "linger," he's even greater than I thought...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
Kieran said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
Kieran said:

Which is why I don't think he said it in English. If Nadal's English has improved to the point of using "linger," he's even greater than I thought...

He's a goat, brother, he's a goat, and goats linger on the tops of mountains, some of 'em for as many as nine or ten YEARS!! :puzzled :snigger

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, Congratulations to moxie, kieran and the Nadal faithful--and I was one of them. I picked him and although I had my doubts, he still came through. I was not able to watch the match but saw the last twenty minutes on the tele as I luncheoned with a friend before the power went out due to a major storm down here. I have heard about Nole vomiting (but not able to pull a Sampras, sadly for him, but then look at the opponent), Rafa looking weary and how it was not a top-notch match compared to some in the past. No bother--Nadal can win ugly and he has on clay more than anyone. Oh, how I wish we could have seen Borg battle Nadal on Chartrier--I don't think there is a more compelling match you could cook up.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Request, Can someone let me know where to find a recording of yesterday's Men's Final...thanks

tented

Administrator
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Request, Can someone let me know where to find a recording of yesterday's Men's Final...thanks

Hi AP,

Impossible to find, unfortunately. Roland Garros has worked closely with YouTube to get everything removed as quickly as possible.

If you get the Tennis Channel, I think they're replaying it a few times over the next few days.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:

AP, I have it on my DVR but I live in California so you might not able to watch it:snigger

tented

Administrator
Reactions
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2014-06-09/201406091402319104422.html

Q. Congratulations, of course. Are we going to change the name of Roland Garros to Nadal Garros? How many times you have to win it for that? Did you change strategy? Because today you played 43 winners; one more than Djokovic. Play many, many forehand on his forehand down the line, which normally doesn't happen. You always play much more on the backhand. Was that strategic? Something that you started? I guess it worked.

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, thank you very much. The name is very nice, Roland Garros, so... (Laughter.) Don't need to change nothing.

Well, I tried to do my best all the time, no? I know to play against him I need to play to my limit, I need to play aggressive. But is always the same thing, no? To play aggressive and to play that shots, you need to be with confidence, you need to feel the ball.

Sometimes you don't have that great feeling. It's more difficult to produce these kind of shots, no? Is true that at the beginning the match start very equal, but I felt that the match was more in his hands at the beginning than in my hands.

I was winning more points from his mistakes than from my winners, and I need to change that. I think in the second set that the dynamic of the match changed. I was able to play more aggressive. I did better things.

And even if I was 4 All, the real thing was that the match really changed before. So that was a positive thing. For sure the day of today was very tough, very humid. The combination of two weeks of cold with the drastic change of yesterday and today, so today was the first real day that we play with that conditions.

This big change I think affects us, affects our physical performance. After the one set and a half we were a little bit tired today, no? It was very important for me to win that second set. Without that second set, I don't know if I have this trophy with me now.

Q. You got the trophy from Bjørn Borg, the other legendary winner in Roland Garros. In this room we were a few in the '70s to ask him similar questions 40 years ago. Now that you got the trophy from him, do you think, in 2050 you might come back here? How would you feel coming back to Roland Garros the way Bjørn Borg did 40 years from now giving it to some other champion? How would you see in retrospect?

RAFAEL NADAL: I would love to do it, hopefully.

Have past champions or very important champions of our history in our sport involved in tennis, coming to the big events, supporting, keep supporting our sport, makes our sport bigger.

Borg make amazing things. Borg makes big change on our tennis. Borg probably was the first big, big star. Borg make this sport bigger. Everybody should thank him for what he did.

I am a big fan of sport in general. For sure tennis is a thing that I did during almost all my life. So if I am healthy, nothing happens, I would love to be back in the future here for sure.

Q. This was a very special victory for you, your fifth in a row. You're the first person to achieve five in a row at Roland Garros. Your ninth victory. You equal Pete Sampras with 14 Grand Slam victories. How important would you rate this victory as compared to your first, and also the last year when you come back from injury? How important would you rate this victory?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think I always said the same, that I don't like the comparations. But always for me is the same. For me, the most important thing is win Roland Garros. That's the most important thing.

Then the other things, sure, are important, but the other things I always repeat the same. We will see when we finish my career how many Grand Slams I have or if I win four, three, or five in a row.

You know, today, that is not the most important thing, no? The most important thing today is I won the most important tournament of the world in clay, probably the most important tournament of the year for me.

I did a lot of times. I think was an emotional victory after what happened in Australia. I think I arrived with a lot of motivation to Australia this year. I prepared myself well to be there healthy and to be there with the right level.

All the tournament I played great, and in the final is true that I played against a player I always repeat the same that was playing amazing, like Stan. I don't know if I would be able to beat him in that match. I don't know.

But I didn't compete that match, so that was a little bit hard to accept for me. I had few months later that mentally I go down a little bit. I was keeping fighting, but I didn't feel myself enough strong.

Since one month I felt that I was able to playing better or worse, but my mentality was there again, no? And my motivation, my positive feelings on court was there again. Talking about mentally, no?

Then is a process that you need to work, need to win matches to play better and better. That's something that happened. I was winning more and more the last couple of weeks, and I arrived here playing well.

That's why I won against the toughest opponent possible today.

Q. You talked about the emotion. There was a lot of emotion before the National Anthem. It is, of the nine victories, one of the most emotional for you today?

RAFAEL NADAL: Last year was emotional for a few things. This year are emotional for another ones. But for sure when you are able to win Roland Garros, always will be emotional, no?

And then more when your age is older, no? Last year was with 27; this year is with 28. That's not forever. You know how hard is all the things that I am doing here. You want to enjoy the moment. You feel your emotions when you are there and you did it, because you know how much you worked to be there.

But at the same time, because I repeat, that's not forever. You have few more opportunities, yes, but you don't know if you're gonna win it again.

So the emotions were so high. A lot of people from my family here. A lot of supporters in Philippe Chatrier for me always is an emotional thing.

Play here and listen to the national, in that moment creates me emotional, too. All the combination makes the moment really special, and especially in this court that probably is the court that I really had more feelings.

Q. People talk about your big strokes, but you're also so strong on court mentally. You have such an ability to overcome problems. We saw that today. Talk about your ability to solve problems on court, your mental strength. Do you think that's one of your strongest qualities?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I think everybody who is able to do what we are doing, you know, is because we are able to find solutions.

But most important thing is not the solutions. It's not the most important thing. You find solution because you really want to do it, because you really want to fight, you really want to find it, you play with the right motivation all the time.

And that's why Novak, me, Roger, last eight years we were there so many times. It's obvious that we are not playing at our best every day, but when we are not playing at our best, we were able to keep believing in the victory, keep fighting for the victory, and keep trying different ways to win the match, no?

So that's my feeling. That's why we were able to do what we did that often and with that regularity, no? So it's true that during all my career I fighted a lot for every match, and that's the principal thing in my opinion, no?

Because then the solutions arrives, but because you really want to find the solution, no? Is true that during the matches I always try to improve the things, analyze the opponent, what's better, what's worse.

But the most important thing is what I told you.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
In case anyone wonders, I'm not neglecting Djokovic. RG hasn't yet published his interview.