WTA News and Gossip 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
She is playing challenger events at present, the last one of the year, is in Limoges a 125 WTA event, next week, I expect her to play to get more ranking points, so lets wait how she fares, playing challengers and into a main draw of a GS event is a big jump.
Parkes has made the singles and doubles final at the OpenP2i Angers Arena Loire, I just checked she is not playing the Limoges tournament, which I feel is a good move, she deserves a rest before 2023 season.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well done to Alicia Parkes winning the singles final at the Open P2i Angers Arena Loire, she defeated A. Friedsam 64 46 64. That is 2 singles titles in a row!
Alicia still has the doubles final to play.
Note: Alicia in just 2 weeks has gone from #134 to #75
S. Zhang/ A. Parkes defeated M.Koloziejova/M. Vondrousova 62 62 to win the doubles final.
Congrats Alicia winning the singles and doubles titles...now have a well earned rest before the 2023 season!
BTW Alicia hopes she can be in the Top 10 by the end of 2023.....

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
2022 WTA Award Winners,
Player of the Year..............Iga Swaitek
Most improved player Beatriz Haddad Maia
Necommer of the Year Zheng Qinwen
Sportsmanship Award Ons Jabeur
Doubles Team of the Year Krejcikova and Siniakova
Coach of the Year David Witt
Player Services Gabriela Dabrowski
ACES Award Maria Sakkari

Reactions: AnonymousFan

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Is Parks playing qualies at the Australian Open?

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Well done to Alicia Parkes winning the singles final at the Open P2i Angers Arena Loire, she defeated A. Friedsam 64 46 64. That is 2 singles titles in a row!
Alicia still has the doubles final to play.
Note: Alicia in just 2 weeks has gone from #134 to #75
S. Zhang/ A. Parkes defeated M.Koloziejova/M. Vondrousova 62 62 to win the doubles final.
Congrats Alicia winning the singles and doubles titles...now have a well earned rest before the 2023 season!
BTW Alicia hopes she can be in the Top 10 by the end of 2023.....
Alycia is definitely on the come up!!

Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Emma Raducanu is to work with German coach Sebastian Sachs, who was formerly with Julia Goerges and Belinda Bencic and also Victoria Azarenka.. This is on a 'trial basis' only.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Indian Wells WTA1000, Charleston WTA500, and Cluj-Napoca WTA250 have been named as Tournament of the Year in their respective categories.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The Billie Jean King Cup Heart Award is given to players who represent their country with distinction, exceptional courage and outstanding commitment.
Storm Sanders and Beatriz Haddad Maia, who are this year's BJK Cup winners. Each received a donation to a charity of their choice.

Reactions: Tennis_Steve

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
Venus Williams aged 42 years young has just received a wild card from Tennis Australia for the AO 2023!
Tennis Australia should have awarded the wild card to a young, up-and-coming player instead. Venus continuing to play is ruining her legacy, in my opinion. Half of her career is in irrelevance now. I know Kimiko Date Krumm played until she was like 44, but at least she was somewhat competitive at that stage.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Tennis Australia should have awarded the wild card to a young, up-and-coming player instead. Venus continuing to play is ruining her legacy, in my opinion. Half of her career is in irrelevance now. I know Kimiko Date Krumm played until she was like 44, but at least she was somewhat competitive at that stage.
I personally havent got a problem with Tennis Australia awarding Venus a WC, she is a fan favorite and will bring crowds to watch her play.. I can personally attest to that, I have seen both Williams sisters play live, they certainly draw crowds whereever they play throughout the world.. Also they have yet to announce Australian woman their WC's they have given Diane Parry from France a WC which is a reciprocal arrangement.and a USA woman who has won the USTA AO wild card challenge

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm glad you said it because we ALL feel the same way. If I said it , it would turn into a 10 plus segment thread.. jajaja

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm glad you said it because we ALL feel the same way. If I said it , it would turn into a 10 plus segment thread.. jajaja
May I ask ' who are the people that All Feel the same way??? is that meaning just you LOL!............Kskate, Tented and AF dont seem to have a problem with Venus receiving a WC BTW...me included:)
Tennis Australia have not given out all their wild cards as yet.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This is from Craig Tiley, Tournament Director of the AO, on Venus Williams receiving a wild card to the AO.

"Venus is not just an incredible player and fan favorite, she's a great role model and leader in our sport in so many ways. Venus is a two time AO finalist and holds a 54-21 win- loss" I am delighted she is returning to Melbourne Park this year"

Reactions: kskate2 and tented
Status
Not open for further replies.