WTA News and Gossip 2015

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
rubydo said:
Reports are circulating that Maria Kirilenko got secretly married today. There is a partial picture of her in a wedding dress. Wondered what she had been up to recently. There had been no information on her for quite a few weeks, especially after she had departed ways with Alex Ovechkin. I wish the sweet Russian well, and hope to see her back on the court healthy again. She has been beset with a number of injuries the last couple of years.:clap

Yes you are correct.I am just about to post a article regarding her wedding

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Reports: Kirilenko marries mystery man in Moscow.Report from Kamakshi Tandon,25th January.

According to Russian media reports,Maria Kirilenko was married in Moscow on Saturday.The 28 year old was said to have had a wedding to a Russian businessman named Alexei,who she met several months ago.Several Russian players and former players were supposed to be in attendance.

Childhood friend Maria Sharapova said she had heard about the wedding."I did actually.I'm not sure to who.I really don't know.I mean,wonderful actually," she told the press following her fourth round match at the Australian Open.Few personal details about the husband are known."What happens in Russia stays in Russia," said Sharapova smiling.

Kirilenko has reportedly cited privacy reasons for not revealing more about her husband,following her previously high profile relationship with hockey player Alex Ovechkin,who she was engaged to until the pair ended their relationship six months ago.

Kirilenko,who has been repeatedly sidelined with injury,is now 189 in the WTA rankings.

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
^Well....at 189 in rankings, one may as well set themselves up for the next stage in life. ;)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
golds girl said:
^Well....at 189 in rankings, one may as well set themselves up for the next stage in life. ;)

At 189 in the rankings, you also need a rich businessman. :devil

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
Isn't she a millionaire? Why would she need a rich businessman she has her own money.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Free Advice from the stands:

A fan cried out some advice that Serena Williams says helped her win a very tough fourth-round match.The No 1 ranked Williams was down a set and trying to find a solution-when she heard a voice

"Someone in the crowd was like,"Come on Serena use spin" and I was like,"OK", Williams said after coming back 26 63 62 to beat Garbine Muguruza and reach the Australian Open quarter finals.

"There's coaches everywhere out here!.Thank you guys,you really helped me," Williams said during her on court interview after the match.

The 18-time Grand Slam winner scanned the stands of Rod Laver Arena where she recalled hearing the voice and then pointed to someone in the crowd: "It was you? Thank you.Thank You!."

The interviewer,retired Australian player Rennae Stubbs,then suggested she give the fan a cut of the prize money.

"Five percent?" asked Stubbs.Williams laughed off the suggestion " Come on Renee!".

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Coach and Learn:

Watching from the sidelines is a learning experience for Martina Navratilova.The 18 time Grand Slam winner joined the ranks of celebrity coaches in December,when she signed onto the coaching team of No 6 ranked Agnieszka Radwanska.

Navratilova was asked what it's like to be watching and not playing.

"I have to be very calm," Navratilova said during a TV interview on ESPN."There is a camera right in the box it showed us going "Oh NO!".

"I'm definitely going to keep my emotions in check tonight," Navratilova said,before Radwanska lost her fourth-round match to No 18 Venus Williams.

Report from AP,26th January.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
We're down to the final four at the first Grand Slam tournament of the year,

Maria Sharapova (2) v Ekaterina Makarova (11)...H2H Sharapova leads Makarova 5-0

1. Sharapova has a shot of taking the No 1 from Serena Williams.Sharapova needs to win the title at the Australian Open and Serena Williams to lose to Keys in the second semi final.Anything else and Serena Williams stays No 1.

2. Makarova is going for the biggest win of her career.Makarova's best career wins in terms of ranking against a pair of No 3's-Victoria Azarenka (Madrid 2013) and Simona Haleop (here on Tuesday).

3. Sharapova loves playing fellow Russians.Sharapova has won 21 of her last 22 matches against Russians,a stretch that dates back to the start of the 2011 season-the only loss came to A.Pavlyuchenkova at Paris (indoors) last year.

4. Makarova will return to the top ten no matter what.Makarova,who spent her first two weeks in the top 10 in the first two weeks of 2015,is projected to set a new career-high of No 9 if she loses today,and could go as high as No 6 with a title.

5. Sharapova has a lot more experience at this stage of a major.Sharapova is playing her 19th Grand Slam semi final today,going 9-9 in the first 18 (and 3-3 here).Makarova is playing her second Grand Slam semi final-she was a semi finalist at the U.S.Open in 2014.

From the WTA website,January 28th.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Serena Williams (1 USA) v Madison Keys (35 USA)
H2h first meeting.

1. Serena has been unstoppable at this stage of the Australian Open-once she gets past the quarter finals.Serena is perfect at the Australian Open-5-0 in Australian Open semi finals and 5-0 in Australian Open finals.She's 22-3 in all Grand Slam semi finals combined.

2. Keys is going for a rare Williams-Williams double.WTA Rising Star Keys,who beat Venus Williams in the quarter finals,is trying to become the eigth player to beat both Williams sisters at the same tournament (check out the Stats corner of the WTA website for more information).

3. Keys is trying to become the first teenager to reach a Grand Slam final since Caroline Wozniacki,who was the last teenager to reach a Grand Slam final when she did it at the U.S.Open in 2009.The last American teenager to do it was Serena herself at the U.S.Open in 2001.

4. Serena can secure her stay at No 1 by winning this match.Even if Sharapova wins the first semi final of the day.Serena will keep her hold on No 1 if she just reaches the final here.Even if Sharapova beats her for the title,No 1 would be locked in.

5. Keys is projected to break the Top 20 now.Keys is projected to rise from No 35 to No 20 by going this far,soaring past her previous career-high of No 27.She could climb to No 13 by reaching the final and end up No 9 or No 10 with a title.

Report from the WTA website,Januray 28th.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Dominika Cibulkova was fined $4000 for receiving coaching during her fourth-round victory over Victoria Azarenka after receiving a violation during the second set.

Report from Daily Telegraph Newspaper,Sport's section,Saturday 31st January.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
fashionista said:
Dominika Cibulkova was fined $4000 for receiving coaching during her fourth-round victory over Victoria Azarenka after receiving a violation during the second set.

Report from Daily Telegraph Newspaper,Sport's section,Saturday 31st January.

How come your avatar does not ever get fined for that?

I distinctly remember Maria's dad asking her to eat a banana from the stands. Is there
a fine for that under current rules?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Coaching from the player's box currently happens both in the WTA and ATP.I am in favor of any penalty the WTA or ATP deem's fit to that particular player.In this instance Cibulkova's coaching box continued to coach,if I remember in that particular match the WTA supervisor was called to the match and stood courtside for some time in that match.

colleen66

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
During her speech, Serena thanked Patrick for being her coach and for being in her life. Hmmmmmm. Makes me wonder if they are still a couple.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
colleen66 said:
During her speech, Serena thanked Patrick for being her coach and for being in her life. Hmmmmmm. Makes me wonder if they are still a couple.
I don't have any definitive proof, but I think they are back on again. She was practically sitting in his lap during the Venus/Aga match.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
colleen66 said:

Was wondering the very same thing. Most likely they are based on that speech.

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
Speaking of on and off, so Dimitrov doesn't go to his girlfriend's big matches: puzzled.
Must not be in his contract...;)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I was looking around to see if Flavia was watching her boy friend win his Grand Slam Doubles title, Fognini, even at the trophy ceremony the camera went to the players box she was no where in sight.Dont say she has 'seen the light?????

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
fashionista said:
I was looking around to see if Flavia was watching her boy friend win his Grand Slam Doubles title, Fognini, even at the trophy ceremony the camera went to the players box she was no where in sight.Dont say she has 'seen the light?????

I was wondering why Pennetta was not in his box. Her tennis would improve if she dropped him. He has so much talent. It is a joy to watch him when his head is screwed on.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
golds girl said:
Speaking of on and off, so Dimitrov doesn't go to his girlfriend's big matches: puzzled.
Must not be in his contract...;)

I assume she told him to stay away. She did not want him to see her lose yet again.