WTA News and Gossip 2015

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Rafa and Caroline against the Power Couple Maria and Dimitrov in mixed doubles

Yeah....Bring It On!!!!!!!!!....:)

tented

Administrator
Reactions
hoergren said:
Here is a little from the Caro world - starting out with an interesting question:

Caroline Wozniacki
Who would like to see me and Rafa Nadal play mixed doubles together? https://www.facebook.com/CarolineWozniacki/photos/a.460036647227.239426.372776547227/10153605880912228/?type=1 …

Come on Frontier fans make a YES to that - use the link

CaroWozniackiNews @CWTennis · 4h

Caroline Wozniacki Australian Open 2015 Practice Session

Does she mean an exhibition? Or actually enter a tournament as an official mixed doubles team?

If it's the former, why not, no? If it's the latter, I'm not sure Nadal has ever played mixed. At least I can't recall a time. Perhaps very early in his career, but I don't think he would do it these days.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
hoergren said:
Here is a little from the Caro world - starting out with an interesting question:

Caroline Wozniacki
Who would like to see me and Rafa Nadal play mixed doubles together? https://www.facebook.com/CarolineWozniacki/photos/a.460036647227.239426.372776547227/10153605880912228/?type=1 …

Does she mean an exhibition? Or actually enter a tournament as an official mixed doubles team?

If it's the former, why not, no? If it's the latter, I'm not sure Nadal has ever played mixed. At least I can't recall a time. Perhaps very early in his career, but I don't think he would do it these days.

47836 likes - no now 47919 mounting up rapidly - on her facebook site tells all about what people want - why not here at the Australian Open - could be fun :)

tented

Administrator
Reactions
hoergren said:
tented said:
hoergren said:

Caroline Wozniacki

47836 likes - no now 47919 mounting up rapidly - on her facebook site tells all about what people want - why not here at the Australian Open - could be fun :)

When I take the link, all I see is "Who would like to see me and Rafa Nadal play mixed doubles together?" which doesn't answer my question -- would this be an exhibition, or an official team?

Actually, it would be too late for them to enter as a team in Melbourne, since the tournament begins in a couple of days.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
fashionista said:
^ Rafa and Caroline against the Power Couple Maria and Dimitrov in mixed doubles

Yeah....Bring It On!!!!!!!!!....:)

They would blitz Maria and her boytoy. :snigger

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
When I take the link, all I see is "Who would like to see me and Rafa Nadal play mixed doubles together?" which doesn't answer my question -- would this be an exhibition, or an official team?

Actually, it would be too late for them to enter as a team in Melbourne, since the tournament begins in a couple of days.

Sure about that? - because last part of the question in the link looks like this: — in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
hoergren said:
tented said:

Sure about that? - because last part of the question in the link looks like this: — in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

I thought that was just Caroline identifying the location of the photo.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nice quote from Vika

victoria azarenka ‏@vika7 1 h

To all the single ladies out there: if you looking for a man of your dreams, just go back to sleep ;)

B7VsXhFCEAAAA1s.jpg:large

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
^ That would have nothing to do with the fact of the break up between Vika and RedFoo? reading Christopher Clarey's recent interview with Azarenka,which by the way is a great interview,she said he really broke her heart.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
There's a lot on the line in Melbourne these next two weeks.Obviously the first Grand Slam title of the year,the Australian Open,but also a major haul of ranking points on the Road To Singapore,as well as the No 1 ranking-four players could leave Australia with that.

A lot would have to happen for that player to not be Serena Williams,but the leading challenger for the top spot is none other than Williams' longtime rival,Maria Sharapova,who was the hottest player in the lead up to the Australian Open,winning the biggest of five events-Brisbane International.

So what mountain does Sharapova have to climb to take the World No 1 ranking from Williams?

Well,firstly,it's important to know that Simona Halep and Petra Kvitova are in the this race,too.

Sharapova's first path to No 1 is by reaching the final and for two other things to happen-
Williams needs to fall before the semi finals,and Kvitova cannot beat Sharapova in the final.

Sharapova's second path to No 1 is by winning the title and for one other thing to happen-Williams needs to fall before the final.if Williams makes the final,nobody can take No 1 from her.

And if her pre-tournament press conference is anything to go by,Sharapova's gearing up for a deep run and maybe her Grand Slam title No 6-at the Happy Slam.She was asked if she's the women to beat for the title,and without naming other names,she showed she's confident in her chances.

"I'm sure I'm one of them,definitely," Sharapova said.

"I mean,I'm No 2 in the world.I had a great season last year winning a Grand Slam.There are a lot of players that have an opportunity to win this tournament,and I'm certainly one of them."

And what about getting back to No 1 specifically?

"No 1 is a ranking every player wants to grab and works so hard for.There's a lot of players that have an opportunity to get there,and I'm one of them.I am of course,determind to do that.But by doing that you need to win more matches than the person in first place.So that's definitely the goal."

Halep and Kvitova can both take the No 1 from Williams as well,but its much harder.They both need at least to win the title-Halep would also need Williams to fall before the quarter finals and Sharapova to fall before the final,and Kvitova would also need Williams to fall before the semi finals.

Report from the WTA website 18th January.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
^ It must also be noted that Petra Kvitova won a Premier tournament at Apia Sydney International,which also has the same ranking points as Brisbane International that was won by Maria Sharapova.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
We know Serena Williams is about to embark on a quest for her 19th Grand Slam title,which would separate her from Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova for second-most Grand Slam titles in the Open Era,trailing just one player-Steffi Graf,who won 22 Grand Slam titles.

But before anyone plays a match,the world No 1 has already achieved something historic,so rare that it's on the fourth time in almost 40 years of the WTA Rankings that it's happened.

Serena is spending her 100th straight week at No 1 this week.Just how rare is it? Here's the short- and complete list of the four times it's been done.

Chris Evert - 113 straight week from May 10,1976 to July 9,1978.

Martina Navratilova - 156 straight weeks from June 14,1982 to June 9,1985

Steffi Graf - 186 straight weeks from August 17,1987 to March 10,1991.

Serena Williams - 101 straight weeks from February 18,2013 to February 1,2015 ***

*** Williams' is guaranteed a 101st week at No 1 during week 2 of the Australian Open.

So how is Serena Williams feeling about her preparation for the first Grand Slam of the year?

"It's okay.I'm not very happy with it but I'm never really happy about my practice or preparation,so maybe that's a good sign," Williams said."I definitely feel better now than I did a couple of weeks ago.But I still want to improve some things.I feel like I should be doing some things better right now.

"But every day I see something coming through,so there's a light at the end of the tunnel."

Before her long-year long injury and illness lay off from July 2010-to June 2011,the Australian Open was Williams' best Grand Slam-she had five titles here,one at the French Open,four at Wimbledon and three at the U.S.Open.But since back it's the only one that has eluded her-She's piled on another French Open,another Wimbledon and another three U.S.Opens.What's her take on that?

"It would be really great to win here again," she said."I've been going for number six for a number of years now.I would be really happy.So I want it I think more than anyone else here."

"But that doesn't mean I'm going to get it,I'll have to fight hard to get it."

Report from the WTA website 18th January.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
fashionista said:
^ That would have nothing to do with the fact of the break up between Vika and RedFoo? reading Christopher Clarey's recent interview with Azarenka,which by the way is a great interview,she said he really broke her heart.

What???? He broke up with her? I hope Vika pulls a Woz and starts beating everyone in sight.

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
^hmmm...didn't read the article but there are multiple ways to break someone's heart....like cheating

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
^ I have read many articles regarding the break up of Vika and Redfoo,one article that was posted here in Sydney said,'they both came to the conclusion with their demanding careers they decided to break up and will remain the best of friends..'

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
golds girl said:
^ Nista are you going to Melbourne for the Open:D

No,not this year.I hope to be going to Roland Garos for the both the WTA final and the ATP final.I can still get tickets,it is just a matter of arranging when I go and for how long,seeing I have to fit in with my husbands working schedule,he works away from home.I also have relatives living in Paris and Lyon,so I want to be able to fit in spending time with them,attending the tennis.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
fashionista said:

I thought it was Vika who broke up. Was not RedFoo heard as saying that he wants to
cryogenically freeze his love for Vika and revitazlize it when she is ready?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
fashionista said:

I thought it was Vika who broke up. Was not RedFoo heard as saying that he wants to
cryogenically freeze his love for Vika and revitazlize it when she is ready?

The initial reports I read from Australia regarding their break up,they both said it was amicable,they felt their respective careers were too demanding,resulting in not being able to spend more time together as a couple.Red Foo did say in the press later,they may down the track get back together.

From the latest news I have been reading on twitter,which I do take with a grain of salt,cause some of them are 'fan based' Vika seems content to try to further her friendship with Gael Monfils.

Redfoo has been seen in Sydney,with quite a few different women as well.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nice message from Li Na - as usual a surpising remark

Congrats Li Na

"I think Dennis is doing a good job, he just made 1 ace"

Video--> http://wtatenn.is/x2F49R

If you're not crystal about this - Li Na is pregnant