WTA News and Gossip 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Leander Paes has to one of my all time favorite doubles player,happy to say I have seen him play live at many tournaments over the years.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Wozniacki linked to NFL Player.

Caroline Wozniacki attended a charity event in Washington D.C. this week as a guest of NFL footballer Ryan Kerrigan,leading to speculation that the two are dating.It is the first time Wozniacki has been seen socially with another man since Rory McIiroy broke off their engagement before the French Open.

Asked about Wozniacki during a TV interview,Kerrigan said he preferred not "to get into it," adding,"We're friends,and she wanted to attend the event.We had a good time."

Report from Kamakshi Tandon 5th December.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
MYLAN WTT SMASH HITS RAISES OVER $1M. Report from WTA Website,December 8th.

WTA stars Martina Hingis,Kim Clijsters,Sabine Lisicki,Heather Watson and.of course,WTA Legend and founder Billie Jean King,were all part of a magical night at Royal Albert Hall on Sunday night,helping Mylan WTT Smash Hits raise more than $1 million for the Elton John AIDS Foundation-just the second time in the event's history that they crossed the $1 million mark.It was the 22nd edition of Mylan WTT Smash Hits and team Elton went in with an 11-10 head to head lead.But team Billie Jean came out with the victory this time,evening that head to head up 11-11.

The night featured five matches,starting with Hingis and Watson beating Clijsters and Lisicki in women's doubles,5-4,followed by Tim Henmen and Jamie Murray beating John McEnroe and Andy Roddick in men's doubles,5-0.Lisicki then beat Watson in women's singles,5-3,followed by Hingis and McEnroe beating Clijsters and Murray in mixed doubles,5-3.The on court action wrapped up with a 5-3 victory for Henmen over Roddick in mens singles.Team Billie Jean beat Team Elton 22-16.

But the big picture was more than $1 million raised,which brings the 22-year event total to over $13 million to support HIV and AIDS prevention and awareness.The live auction before the on-court action brought in over $247,000 of that amount,the top-selling items being US Open ticket packages,a Wimbledon package featuring a visit with McEnroe,and an autographed Elton John piano bench.

"This is a wonderful evening",Elton John said to the capacity crowd."Without Mylan,we couldn't possibly do this.They're made drugs for HIV positive people and we're an HIV positive AIDS Foundation,so the two of us fit hand and glove very well and it's a wonderful relationship.It would be wrong of me not to acknowledge the extent of the generosity Mylan has given us,which is immense."

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Courtney Nguyen on Twitter.

Seles v Sabatini at the BNP Paribas Showdown exo at Madison Square Garden in March 2015.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ben Rothenberg on Twitter,

'Per Sloane Stephens team,there is "no deal in place" for her to work with Nick Saviano in 2015,despite her training at his academy now.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
On Twitter 25 min ago:

BREAKING: Women's tennis tour strike 10-year, $525Mln broadcast deal with Perform Group
Perform to produce all of @WTA's 2,000 matches. @WTA's $525 Million broadcast deal with Perform biggest in tennis, and in women's sports. ``A game changer,'' WTA boss Stacey Allaster

A brief extract from content "WTA Media, together with tournaments, will produce all main draw singles matches and the semifinals and finals of all doubles matches from 2017".

Read the article here:
http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/4354360/title/wta-performs-historic-new-deal

Ok from 2017 but what about 2015 and 2016 - anyone knows?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
hoergren said:
On Twitter 25 min ago:

BREAKING: Women's tennis tour strike 10-year, $525Mln broadcast deal with Perform Group
Perform to produce all of @WTA's 2,000 matches. @WTA's $525 Million broadcast deal with Perform biggest in tennis, and in women's sports. ``A game changer,'' WTA boss Stacey Allaster

A brief extract from content "WTA Media, together with tournaments, will produce all main draw singles matches and the semifinals and finals of all doubles matches from 2017".

Read the article here:
http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/4354360/title/wta-performs-historic-new-deal

Ok from 2017 but what about 2015 and 2016 - anyone knows?

"The deal,announced Tuesday,keeps the WTA's international television rights with its current broadcast distribution partner PERFORM,but expands the scope of the relationship.Their current agreement runs from 2013-16"......report from AP.December 9th.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
SI Tennis on Twitter,

"WME/IMG officially announces signing of Eugenie Bouchard.Interesting to see Serena's agent,Jill Smoller,will be part of her team.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Courtney Nguyen on Twitter,

Just spoke to Jamie Hampton.Rough 2014 marred by injury setback after injury setback.Multiple surgeries.Earliest return would be April 2015.

colleen66

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
fashionista said:

Just spoke to Jamie Hampton.Rough 2014 marred by injury setback after injury setback.Multiple surgeries.Earliest return would be April 2015.

Wow, really sorry to hear that Jamie will not be back until April! She was playing good tennis before she got hurt and had almost won a tournament. I wish her a speedy recovery.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Carla and Garbie are honored in Spain:

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/4358626/title/suarez-muguruza-honored-in-spain

B4euEVGIQAAAjvM.jpg:large

rubydo

Reactions
colleen66 said:
fashionista said:

Wow, really sorry to hear that Jamie will not be back until April! She was playing good tennis before she got hurt and had almost won a tournament. I wish her a speedy recovery.
Yes, I feel the same way, saw her play in 2013 and was really looking solid in all aspects of her game. 2014 was not a great year for a number of players injury wise. Smart to not come back too soon after so many injuries.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
rubydo said:
colleen66 said:
fashionista said:

Yes, I feel the same way, saw her play in 2013 and was really looking solid in all aspects of her game. 2014 was not a great year for a number of players injury wise. Smart to not come back too soon after so many injuries.
she is always on twitter...another of those annoying players.:popcorn

tented

Administrator
Reactions
tossip said:
rubydo said:
colleen66 said:
she is always on twitter...another of those annoying players.:popcorn

What's Serena's Tweet count?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Keys Hires Davenport's husband Leach,won't work with Fissette.

American teenager Madison Keys will add Jon Leach to her coaching team instead of Wim Fissette.Leach's wife,former No 1 Lindsay Davenport,was also recently brought in as Key's coach.Earlier this week,Fissette was named as one of Key's coaches,with the Belgian scheduled to work with her at European events.Leach had been hitting with Keys in California over the past month since Davenport has been unable to play because of foot surgery.Taking a liking to Leach,Key's decided not to continue with Fissette,who helped Simona Halep reach No 2 in the world this year.

Leach was a college star and four-time All American at USC.Davenport and Leach will work with the 19-year-old at big tournaments,and will eventually hire another team member to help out at the smaller tournaments.Davenport and Leach have four young children,the whole family will travel together,or one parent will have to remain at home in California.Now ranked No 30,Keys was previously coached by Juan Todero and Jay Gooding of the USTA.

Report from Matt Cronin 11th December.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
CiCi Bellis ends with No 1 Ranking.

American teen CiCi Bellis has clinched the worlds year-end No 1 Junior Ranking.

The 15-year-old Bellis was the sensation of this year's US Open,stunning the Australian Open finalist Dominka Cibulkova in the first round to become the youngest player to win a match at the Grand Slam tournament since Anna Kournikova in 1996.

Bellis earned her spot in the main draw by winning the USTA Girls 18s National Championship,the youngest to do so since Lindsay Davenport in 1991.

She's the second American girl in three years to rank No 1 at year's end.Before Taylor Townsend accomplished the feat in 2012,it had been three decades since an American girl held that distinction.

Bellis clinched the ranking with a quarterfinal victory at the Orange Bowl Junior Championships on Friday.

Report from AP December 12th.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Wozniacki putting marathons,triathlons on hold.

Caroline Wozniacki is still interested in running marathons,but wants to hold off on more until retiring from tennis.The Dane ran the New York City Marathon earlier this year.

"I have done one marathon and would definitely like to do another one.I actually qualified for the Boston Marathon,"said Woznicacki,but added that she would not be running the race because it is during the tennis season.

"So for now I am very happy to be playing tennis and I am focusing on that.I've done one marathon and for now that's enough.Maybe after my tennis career ends I might do another or even try my hand at triathlons.That would be a really good challenge."

The former No 1 had a bounce-back season that included a run to the U.S.Open final and a No 8 finish in the rankings.Looking forward to the new season,she said,"I just want to win as many tournaments as possible.And winning a Grand Slam would be amazing.Woznicacki has reached two Grand Slam finals during her career.

Report from Kamakshi Tandon December 13th.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Nick McCarvel on Twitter,

2 Americans,Stefan Kozlov and Sofia Kenin,win@OrangeBwlTennis,marking 1st US sweep since '04.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Kvitova: 'I can play tennis the 'Petra' way'. Report from Matt Cronin December 15th.

World No 4 Petra Kvitova says she wants to reach No1 for her first time ever.

"Next year I have some clear goals in mind," she said in her blog."I want to have better results at the Grand Slams,and of course one day I want to be No1 in the world.I have been close already,but I really hope that day will come."

The Czech won Wimbledon and sealed the Fed Cup final,but had some tough losses in the other Grand Slams this season.Kivtova was shocked by Luksika Kumkhum in the first round of Australia,lost in the third round of Roland Garos to Svetlana Kuznetsova,and then lost to Aleksandra Krunic in the third round of the U.S. Open.However,she did reasonably well in the fall,winning Wuhan and reaching the final in Beijing,but then losing to Aga Radwanska and Caroline Wozniacki in the WTA finals.

The 24 year-old Kvitova said that beating Germany's Angelique Kerber to win the Fed Cup in November in nearly three hours made her season great overall."It's a great battle and the perfect match to end the season on a high," she said.

Kvitova is working with her fitness coach,Alex Stober,who worked with Li Na before she retired this year.Stober has worked with Pete Sampras,Tommy Haas,Gustavo Kuerton and Andre Agassi among others.

"He has a lot of experience and he knows what to do.He arrived with a very specific plan to make me stronger and faster on court," the two-time Grand Slam Champion Kvitova said."The exercises we are doing are very focused on tennis and on my game specifically so that I can play tennis the 'Petra way'.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
A little message from Caroline Wozniacki

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT_xyS4OTJU[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.