WTA News and Gossip 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The tennis world is mourning the loss of one of its legends,as Dorothy "Dodo" Cheney passed away at her home in Escondido,California over the weekend,surrounded by family.She was 98 years old.

Cheney may be best known for winning the Australian Open in 1938.She made the semi finals of the other three Grand Slams,and a number of Grand Slam finals in doubles and mixed doubles.

From the WTA website November 26th.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Radwanska: WTA Shot Of The Year.

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/4333846/title/radwanska-wta-shot-of-the-year

There's a reason Agnieszka Radwanska has the nickname "The Magician" and "Ninja".It's simple,she can pull off the most difficult shots in the game with ease.

Agnieszka Radwanska has won the 2014 WTA Shot of the Year presented by Wilson.Radwanska took top honors with a brillant overhead backhand during the Rogers Cup in August.

This is Radwanska's second year in a row winning the WTA Shot Of The Year.Last year she took top honors with an incredible 360 spin backhand volley in Miami.

Final results for 2014 Shot Of The Year presented by Wilson.

1. Agnieszka Radwanska ( 45%)
2. Ana Ivanovic ( 31%)
3. Eugenie Bouchatd ( 15%)
4. Angelique Kerber ( 9%)

From the WTA website November 28th.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Season Reveiw: Serena Has Final Say. From the WTA website.November 28th.

The last few months of the year witnessed the coming of age of a few of the tour's brightest talents as well as the re-emergence of a few familiar faces.However,inevitably it was the irrepressible Serena Williams who had the final say.

With a number of leading stars taking a well-earned break in the weeks following the U.S.Open,the path was clear for the WTA's less familiar faces to make some noise,Mirjana Lucic-Baroni,Karen Knapp and Monica Niculescu obliging with victories at the International events in Quebec City,Tashkent and Guangzhou.

Up at Premier level,there was also success for Ana Ivanovic and Petra Kvitova,who walked away with the spoils in Tokyo and Wuhan.At the final Mandatory event of the year,the China Open,Maria Sharapova returned to form in some style,derailing the in-form Kvitova in an entertaining final.

Over in indoor halls of Europe,there were titles for Karolina Pliskova,Annika Beck and Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova in Linz,Luxembourg and Moscow,while Andrea Petkovic added a final flourish to a great victory at the Garanti Koza WTA Tournament of Champions in Sofia.

This was all an appetizer for the grand finale the BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global.

As with most of the big events in 2014,there was nothing predictable about the season-ending showpiece.The round-robin stage featured thrills and spills with the identity of the four semifinalists up in the air until almost the final ball was struck.

In the end,defending champion Williams was joined by a couple of old hands-Caroline Woznicacki and Agnieszka Radwanska-and the new kid on the block,Simona Halep,whom had earlier inflicted a chastening defeat on the World No 1.After denying good friend Woznicacki in an thrilling encounter,Williams had her chance for revenge against Halep.She grasped it with both hands,producing an hour-long clinic to finish the year as she began it on top of the world.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Wim Fissette Exclusive: There Were No 'Frustrations' With Halep.Report Nick McCarvel.November 26th.

After split with Fissette,Halep hires another new coach,advisor.

Monday the Romanian revealed that would be fellow Romanian Victor Ionita,a coach who had previously worked with compatriot Sorana Cristea.In addition,Thomas Hogstedt,the former coach of Maria Sharapova (and others),will serve as a consultant for the beginning of 2015 season.

But what of Wim? Wim Fissette,that is,Halep's now-ex coach who has made a name for himself in tennis circles,having helped Belgian Kim Clijsters in her come backs before working with Sabine Lisicki and then Halep.

In 2014,Halep brought on Fissette to help her achieve a career-high No 2 ranking as well as reach the final of Roland Garos and win 2 titles (Doha,Bucharest).Halep's move to split with Fissette came as a surprise to many.Here,Fissette opens up in an exclusive interview on how he felt this year went,what his plans are moving forward and more.

TennisNow: Wim,thanks for speaking with us.Tell us what's next for you?.Have you made plans for moving forward or are you taking some time off?

Wim Fissette: At this moment I'm waiting to make the right decision for my future.There are a few players I would really love to work with and I'm hoping to get a offer from them.I'm home (in Belgian).I coach in an academy nearby.We have many great young players under 12 years old (including three Belgian champions) and I love coaching them.

TennisNow: What are you most proud of in the last year working with Simona? she obviously had great achievements,what stands out from behind the scenes?

Wim Fissette: By far the final in Roland Garos.When we started in January after the Australian open,Simona told me it was very difficult to handle the emotions during a Grand Slam and when she reached the quarterfinal in Australia,she could not at all control her emotions.My goal was to make her a better player,but especially make her play her best tennis on the most important moments.When she came to Paris,she was considered an outsider for the title and she felt pressure for the first time.Every match she won,the pressure became more.But she was able to control her emotions and play her best tennis from the first ball of the tournament until the last one of the final.

TennisNow: What were the challenges with Simona?.You came in at a time when she was already on the rise.

Wim Fissette: I did not speak to Simona about the past coaches.I was just trying to do my job as good as possible.For Simona it was a completely new experience,as she only worked with Romanian coaches in the past.For sure it was not always,an easy relationship between player and coach.You spend a lot of time together and one very important thing is that the player feels very comfortable also off the court.For example,its much easier when you always speak your own language.

TennisNow: Were there frustrations at the end? Or this was more just a decision of Simona (and/or you) to go different direction?

Wim Fissette:I didnt feel frustrations at the end.As a coach you receive contracts of six to 12 months.(At first I had a contract through to Roland Garos and then one that continued until after Singapore).You never know what will happen when the contract finishes.So I just tried to give my very best until the end of my contract.Simona made this decision because she feels more comfortable with only Romanians in her team.She is a girl who needs a lot of variation.That's why,for example,every tournament there were some family members to 'entertain' her.Some weeks it was her mother,some weeks her brother,some weeks some family friends...so she would not be bored.She likes people around her and she also needs that.I believe it would be difficult for her to work longer than one year with a coach because she needs that variation (in her life).Other way of thinking,other way of working.

TennisNow: Who are two players who you have your eye on for a big year in 2015?.Perhaps a couple of names we might not expect?

Wim Fissette: Garbine Muguruza.I think she has a very big game and I believe she can make it to the Top 10 next year.In general,there is a change of generation happening right now in women's tennis and I'm looking foward to seeing who of these young girls will make it to the absolute top.
David Goffin.As a Belgian myself,I'm very interested how his 2015 will be.He started to win in July and he kept winning until the end of the year.He is a great player to watch,nice technique,variation and smart-its not only power tennis.He has almost no points to defend the first half of the year,so I'm curious where he will be after Wimbledon this year.

TennisNow: What do you think is most exciting about women's tennis right now?

Wim Fissette: As I mentioned before (I'm excited for) the change of generations.Players like Halep,Genie Bouchard,Muguruza,Madison Keys,Sloane Stephens,Belinda Bencic,Caroline Garcia,Ana Konjuh..I think in 2015 these players will surprise some bigger names and it will be interesting what other names will come up in the rankings.These are very important times coming for women's tennis.At this moment most of the tickets at the tournaments are sold to see the top players like Serena and Maria,the older generation.It's time now that the new generation will step up.As a coach I'm always looking forward to where women's tennis is going.Is it going more and more to men's (topspin,big serves,kick serve)?

TennisNow: What are most looking forward to about your time off?.Just relaxing?

Wim Fissette: Being home with my family.On the other side,I love tennis so after being a week home doing nothing,I'll go to the academy and help coach the younger kids.This is just so much fun,these children are so 'hungry' to learn they have so much fun playing their favorite sport.Hopefully I can travel with one of these in about 10 years.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
MYLAN WTT SMASH HITS: THIS SUNDAY.

London,England-Mylan WTT Smash Hits presented by Walgreens and AmerisourceBergen,a star-studded charity tennis event co-hosted by Sir Elton John and WTA Founder and legend Billie Jean King,will take place this coming Sunday,December 7,2014 at the Royal Albert Hall in London.

Eight WTA and ATP World Tour stars will be in action,and split into two teams-Martina Hingis,Heather Watson,Andy Roddick and John McEnroe will be on Team Elton,while Kim Clijsters,Sabine Lisicki,Jamie Murray and Tim Henman will be on Team Bille Jean.The teams will go-head-to-head in five matches-womens doubles,mens doubles,womens singles,mixed doubles and mens singles.The matches will follow World Team Tennis format-each match will feature one set with the first to five games,or a nine-point-tie-break at 4-all.Game scoring is no-ad and let serves are playable.Team Elton currently leads the overall head-to-head 11-10-can Team Billie Jean even it up?.

Mylan WTT Smash Hits benefits the Elton John AIDS Foundation.Since 1993,Mylan WTT Smash Hits has raised over $12 million for the Elton John AIDS Foundation and various AIDS charities throughout the US.This is the first time in the event's 22-year history that it will be staged outside the US.

It's an action-packed,star-studded night of tennis every year-and there's a pre-match live auction,which includes an Elton John signed piano bench.For more visit www.wttsmashhits.com.

From the WTA website..December 1st

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Muguruza named Ambassador for BBVA.

BBVA Bank,one of the largest financial insitutions in the world,has joined forces with WTA Rising Star Garbine Muguruza on the heal's of her breakout season.IMG has announced in a new global partnership with BBVA Bank for its client,WTA Rising Star Garbine Muguruza.Spain's Murguruza will become a global ambassador for BBVA,one of the largest financial institutions in the world,with a presence across 31 countires serving more than 50 million customers.

Muguruza is comming off her best season,in which she cracked the Top 20,won her first WTA title in Hobart,and upended World No 1 Serena Williams en route to her first Grand Slam quarterfinal at the French Open.

Twenty-one-year old Muguruza joins an international roster of BBVA's ambassador's,which includes some of the biggest names in sports,such as footballers,Iker Cassillas,Andres Iniesta,Radamel Falcao and Claudio Bravo,NBA stars Kevin Durant,James Harden,Chandler Parsons and Kawhi Leonard,and moutain climber Carlos Soria.

"It is a great pleasure to become an ambassador of BBVA and join such an accomplished group of athletes and personalities," Muguruza said."I would like to thank BBVA for choosing me for this prestigious role.I hope to attain the same level of excellence as the other athletes in this group and look forward to working with the BBVA family for years to come."

"Women's sports in Spain are gaining tremendous importance," said Miguel Cardenal,Spain's Secretary of State for Sport."Garbine is undoubtedly one of our most important athletes,and one of our most promising international stars.I think she has a great future ahead of her."

From the WTA website..Demember 1st.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
fashionista said:
Muguruza named Ambassador for BBVA.

BBVA Bank,one of the largest financial insitutions in the world,has joined forces with WTA Rising Star Garbine Muguruza on the heal's of her breakout season.IMG has announced in a new global partnership with BBVA Bank for its client,WTA Rising Star Garbine Muguruza.Spain's Murguruza will become a global ambassador for BBVA,one of the largest financial institutions in the world,with a presence across 31 countires serving more than 50 million customers.

Muguruza is comming off her best season,in which she cracked the Top 20,won her first WTA title in Hobart,and upended World No 1 Serena Williams en route to her first Grand Slam quarterfinal at the French Open.

Twenty-one-year old Muguruza joins an international roster of BBVA's ambassador's,which includes some of the biggest names in sports,such as footballers,Iker Cassillas,Andres Iniesta,Radamel Falcao and Claudio Bravo,NBA stars Kevin Durant,James Harden,Chandler Parsons and Kawhi Leonard,and moutain climber Carlos Soria.

"It is a great pleasure to become an ambassador of BBVA and join such an accomplished group of athletes and personalities," Muguruza said."I would like to thank BBVA for choosing me for this prestigious role.I hope to attain the same level of excellence as the other athletes in this group and look forward to working with the BBVA family for years to come."

"Women's sports in Spain are gaining tremendous importance," said Miguel Cardenal,Spain's Secretary of State for Sport."Garbine is undoubtedly one of our most important athletes,and one of our most promising international stars.I think she has a great future ahead of her."

From the WTA website..Demember 1st.
so beating Serena is lucrative...thats why Sloane was dazed after that win over Serena..all she saw was $$$$$$:popcorn

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Robert Paluba on Twitter,

A.Radwanska to hire a consultant.Former GS champ,to travel with her 12-15 weeks per year.Details to be announced later in December.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
fashionista said:
Robert Paluba on Twitter,

A.Radwanska to hire a consultant.Former GS champ,to travel with her 12-15 weeks per year.Details to be announced later in December.

Great news, but I wonder who it will be? Please let it be someone who can turn Aga into a GS champ. :please:

Thanks for letting us know, fashionista. :)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Kvitova and Safarova win WTA AWARDS.

Petra Kvitova has been named the 2014 Karen Krantzche Sportsmanship Award Winner and Lucie Safarova the Peachy Kellmeyer Player Service Award Winner.

The Karen Krantzche Sportsmanship Award acknowledges a player's professionalism,attitude and sense of play.It was a memorable year for Kvitova,as she captured three WTA titles including her second Wimbledon crown.She previously won the Karen Krantzche Sportsmanship Award in 2011,the same year she won her first Wimbledon.She also won WTA Newcomer of the Year in 2010,WTA Most improved Player of the Year in 2011 and WTA Player of the Year in 2011.

It was also a successful season on the court for Safarova,highlighted by her career-best Grand Slam outing in reaching the semi finals at Wimbledon,where she fell to Kvitova.She was given the Peachy Kellmeyer Player Service Award for having done the most to support her fellow players through the WTA Player's Council and other initiatives.

Both awards were voted on by fellow players.

Interestingly enough Kvitova and Safarova just led the Czech Republic to its third Fed Cup title in the last four years in November.

Meanwhile,voting continues for the WTA Fan Favorite Awards.You can still vote,visit the WTA website until Wednesday,December 3 at 11.59pm ET,with the final results announced on Friday,December 5th.

From the WTA website,2nd December.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Chang Kai-Chen secured her place at the 2015 Australian Open with an emphatic victory over Tamarine Tanasugarn in the final of the Asia-Pacific Wildcard Play-off.

From the WTA website.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BBC SPORT: Busy Times for Mauresmo.

Amelie Mauresmo's contract as captain of the French Fed Cup team has been extended by two years.

Ther former world No 1 will also continue to coach ATP World Tour star Andy Murray

From the WTA Website...2nd December.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Another Big First For Serena.

There's no doubt about it,Serena Williams has been becoming more and more of a WTA Legend over the last few years,joining some of the all-time greats on all kinds of all-time-lists.A lot of that has to do with her week-to-week consistency-while she always had the game to win the big ones,lately she's been coming through time and time again at regular-events.Serena is just the fifth player in WTA history to hold World No 1 for a whole calendar year.

Here are all the players who achieved the feat:

Chris Evert (1977,1981)

Martina Navratilova (1983,1984,1986)

Steffi Graf (1988,1989,1990,1994,1996)

Monica Seles (1992)

Serena Williams (2014)

Williams is the first player to achieve the feat since Graf did it in 1996,and since Graf was actually co-World No 1 with Seles for most of 1996(all but seven weeks of the year),Williams is the first player to hold the World No 1 ranking for a whole calendar all on her own since Seles did in it in 1992.

This year the 18-time Grand Slam winner was asked about her recent stranglehold on the top sport.

"That's why I try so hard in the other tournaments,is to have an opportunity to be No 1," she said.

"Obviously I want to win the Slams,but I always like being the best.The past several years,the effort I've been making outside of the Slams,and everything,it kind of speaks to that."

And it dosen't sound like she's going to slow down anytime soon.

"I love tennis and I love the sport",Williams commented."Especially lately,I've been having so much fun competing,when normal people have retired and gone on with their lives.But I've just been having such a great time winning titles and chasing different goals that I have personally.

"I've been enjoying every minute of it".

Back to holding World No 1 for a whole calendar year,one other player came ridiculously close to adding her name to the list-Caroline Wozniacki.Wozniacki was World No 1 for all but one week of the 2011 season-the week of February 14,Valentine's Day week,when Kim Clijsters took over for just that week.It wasnt such a stretch,really-Clijsters had won the last two Grand Slams.

From the WTA Website.December 3rd

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yvonne Meusburger: Proper Farwell.

Austrian tennis player Yvonne Meusberger is coming out of retirement to play one more tournament the Australian Open in January.Meusburger,who ended her career in August,following a first-round defeat by Karolina Pliskova at the US Open,tells the Austrian Press Agency,"I will play

there....because I also played my first Grand Slam in Australia (in 2006).It's a nice farwell.

The 31-year-old Meusburger reached a career-high 37th this year and still is Austria's highest-ranked female player in 86th place.Meusburger,who won her sole WTA title at the Gastein Ladies in Austria last year,reached the third round at the 2014 Australian Open for her best career Grand Slam result.

Report from AP...2nd December.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Tom Perrotta on Twitter,

Madison Keys now employs Lindsay Davenport and Wim Fissette.Shared coaching.Lindsay in U.S. both at slams.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
fashionista said:
Tom Perrotta on Twitter,

Madison Keys now employs Lindsay Davenport and Wim Fissette.Shared coaching.Lindsay in U.S. both at slams.
thats too many voices...sometimes the best coaches are the unheralded.Wim WAs good with atheletic players like Kim and Halep especially on hardcourts not sure about cultural differences....will he want Madison to win say over Wickmeyer of Flipkens..its tricky or would Lindsay want Keys to beat Coco...I feel sorry for Keys.Maddy must remember that she is going to be second to Lindsay when she plays Coco..:eyepop

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
tossip said:
fashionista said:
Tom Perrotta on Twitter,

thats too many voices...sometimes the best coaches are the unheralded.Wim WAs good with atheletic players like Kim and Halep especially on hardcourts not sure about cultural differences....will he want Madison to win say over Wickmeyer of Flipkens..its tricky or would Lindsay want Keys to beat Coco...I feel sorry for Keys.Maddy must remember that she is going to be second to Lindsay when she plays Coco..:eyepop

Maddie reminds me of Davenport in ways,with her serve and fhand,I think Davenport will be a good coach for her.Personally I dont think two coaches works,unless they are on the same page together.In this instance,I guess it is a case of wait and see.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Leander Paes,41,will play with Martina Hingis in mixed doubles at the Australian Open in 2015.

Report from Kamakshi Tandon.5th December.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
WTA FAN FAVORITE AWARDS: THE WINNERS.

The WTA Fan Favorite Awards are all about you and your favorite players of the year,your favorite matches,even your fave tennis dresses and selfies.And your spoken-roughly 70,000 votes were cast over the last week and a half,and we're proud to present you the winners.

Fan Favorite Player Agneiszka Radwanska

Fan Favorite Doubles Team Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci

Fan Favorite Tournament BNP Paribas WTA Finals,Singapore

Fan Favorite WTA Match Of the Year Serena Vs Woznicacki/WTA Finals

Fan Favorite Grand Slam Match
of the Year Sharapova v Halep/French Open

Fan Favorite Video WTA Finals-Best Moments

Fan Favorite WTA Live
All Access Hour Pre-Wimbledon Party

Fan Favorite Dress Venus Williams

Fan Favorite Facebook Maria Sharapova

Fan Favorite Twitter Caroline Woznicacki

Fan Favorite Tweet Maria Sharapova "Hey buddy,I'm right behind you...:)"

Fan Favorite Twitter
Mirror Photo WTA Finals draw group photo

Fan Favorite Selfie Caroline Woznicaki

From the WTA Website.5th December.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
fashionista said:
Leander Paes,41,will play with Martina Hingis in mixed doubles at the Australian Open in 2015.

Report from Kamakshi Tandon.5th December.

They are a regular partners in the WTT (world team tennis events). They have also played in
tour together many times. They stand a reasonable chance of winning it all at AO.

Status
Not open for further replies.