Wrist Injury Catches Up With Novak Djokovic. He withdraws from Cinci

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
10146092304_60927720fc_b_novak-djokovic.jpg

Photo by Marianne Bevis

Novak Djokovic has withdrawn from the Western & Southern Open Cincinnati citing a long-standing wrist injury.

“I am very sad to announce that I won’t be able to play this year in Cincinnati, I have a recurring injury that has taken its toll on my body due to a very busy and active schedule this year,” stated Djokovic.

The World number One did not have an enjoyable campaign at the Rio Olympics. He was upset by Argentine Juan Martin Del Potro in the opening round of the singles event, leaving the court in tears and later he would be knocked out of the doubles in the second round.

The Cincinnati Masters is only remaining Masters shield to have never seen the inside of Djokovic’s trophy cabinet and he will take plenty of rest rather than risk it in 2016.

“I have played many matches and I have to take some rest in order to heal.”.

Photo by Marianne Bevis

Read the whole post here.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
This is pity, because Cincy is, unlike Olympics, a real tournament No1e has never won and I hoped he may win it this year, but now I will be happy if he manages to recover by USO/ I think that Davydenko, Delpo and rafa all had left wrist problems for a long time and I hope No1e will recover sooner.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
in Toronto it was an elbow injury...and now it's wrist...he shouldn't have played Toronto with an injury, not very careful from his team

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
We could have a banged up Djoker, banged up Nadal, injured Federer... US Open could be wide open...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Didn't he have a wrist injury when he skipped Madrid a couple of years ago? What about the shoulder, or were we just misinformed?

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This is pity, because Cincy is, unlike Olympics, a real tournament No1e has never won and I hoped he may win it this year, but now I will be happy if he manages to recover by USO/ I think that Davydenko, Delpo and rafa all had left wrist problems for a long time and I hope No1e will recover sooner.

Wait, why is the Olympics not a real tournament? Aside than Novak losing...

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
We could have a banged up Djoker, banged up Nadal, injured Federer... US Open could be wide open...
Opens the way for Muzza I suspect. Would love it if the Stanimal or Kei won it though, or best of all... Delpo

Reactions: EdbergsGhost

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Didn't he have a wrist injury when he skipped Madrid a couple of years ago? What about the shoulder, or were we just misinformed?
Yep and also they say that he has a shoulder injury since Wimbledon......

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Wait, why is the Olympics not a real tournament? Aside than Novak losing...

Aside from this thing being held at the event meant for amateurs, not millionaires to take part in, all the real tennis tournaments :

1. Are held every year

2. Have the points schedule set

3. Have the prize scheduled set

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
in Toronto it was an elbow injury...and now it's wrist...he shouldn't have played Toronto with an injury, not very careful from his team

It wasn't elbow. Fans mentioned then it was probably shoulder because he was stretching it often between points.

And why is that strange for him to have several injuries at the same time? No one in history of tennis played more top 10 matches than him, so it only makes sense he gets injured as a result. I think it is a miracle he didn't have many injuries until recently.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Demise of the big 3.....makes it more interesting than before.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It wasn't elbow. Fans mentioned then it was probably shoulder because he was stretching it often between points.

And why is that strange for him to have several injuries at the same time? No one in history of tennis played more top 10 matches than him, so it only makes sense he gets injured as a result. I think it is a miracle he didn't have many injuries until recently.

It well could be both. He's been cagey about the injuries, but that's understandable. Hopefully just wear and tear and nothing serious.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
his head is fried as well...the serbinator amazing antics in late 2014-15-16 have drained him mentally.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
he is getting up there age-wise and starts to show a bit of decline.....whether or not it's temporary, should be clear this year.