Rafa withdraws from French Open with wrist injury

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Sorry to see Rafa being forced to quit in the middle. Due to his wins at MC and Barcelona and the close match with Novak in Rome, it looked like the Sf between them might be a mouthwatering clash. Unfortunately, it won't materialize now. :cry

Rafa was kind of healthy for almost an year now and so it looked like it was a matter of finding his mojo/confidence/game before he became a contender at Slams. Now, with the injury and with the end of clay season, it is time to write him off, for this year at least.

No Fedal in second week of GS. When was the last time it happened? Well, actually not too far away. In the year 2013 when Andy won Wimby, both Rafa and Federer lost early (and both were in Andy's half too).
May be Andy will win this one too.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
RE: 2016 French Open Day 6: Friday, May 27 - Order of Play

Happy Isner won.

Really sorry to see Rafa had to withdraw. I will never be a fan of the guy, but I was looking forward to a potential classic between him and Novak in the semi. Must be really tough for his fans.

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions

Depression Frontier.com

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

Puppet Master said:
Depression Frontier.com

After 2014, people should have started bracing themselves for this day; both Fedal on their last legs! Roger's almost 35 and Rafa on wheels that are even older! McEnroe and Connors tried to hang on past their primes, but they won no more majors after '84! Why is this so hard to accept? :puzzled :nono :cover :p

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Fiero425 said:
Puppet Master said:
Depression Frontier.com

After 2014, people should have started bracing themselves for this day; both Fedal on their last legs! Roger's almost 35 and Rafa on wheels that are even older! McEnroe and Connors tried to hang on past their primes, but they won no more majors after '84! Why is this so hard to accept? :puzzled :nono :cover :p

To be fair to Rafa fans, he had really resurged the last couple months, so I would definitely say it is in general surprising that he was having these issues, especially after playing so well in the first two rounds. I think more injuries will ultimately be unsurprising, but the timing and nature of the moment, made it extra surprising and disappointing.

Tennis Miller

Pro Tour Player
Reactions

Riotbeard said:
Fiero425 said:
Puppet Master said:
Depression Frontier.com

To be fair to Rafa fans, he had really resurged the last couple months, so I would definitely say it is in general surprising that he was having these issues, especially after playing so well in the first two rounds. I think more injuries will ultimately be unsurprising, but the timing and nature of the moment, made it extra surprising and disappointing.

Given the way he has whipped that forehand his whole life, it's amazing that his hand hasn't completely flown off his wrist by now.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

Tennis Miller said:
Riotbeard said:
Fiero425 said:

Given the way he has whipped that forehand his whole life, it's amazing that his hand hasn't completely flown off his wrist by now.

Agreed! I actually got to hating seeing his racket flying over his head like that; esp. when nothing was really on the shot! It was more flash than anything with the shot falling shorter and shorter in the court IMO! :nono :angel: :cover

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I know this was mentioned in other threads, but I just found out and am shocked, and thought this was worth its own thread - as a place to discuss the injury, what it means for Rafa, etc.

What a bummer - Rafa not playing the French Open just doesn't seem right. I'm also worried what this means for his short and longer term - it is hard not to think that this greatly decreases his chances of winning another Slam. It sounds like this injury is an inflamed tendon, but there's no clear news yet as to how long it will take to heal.

Anyhow, let's hope Rafa rehabs well and comes back later this year. I'm thinking that if it takes a long time and he misses Wimbledon, he might take it easy later in the year and then early next so that he times Roland Garros in a way that he doesn't get a lot of wear and tear before the tournament.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
As I said previously, I think this was his last shot at a major. In my opinion, he will be forever stuck at 14. It is amazing his body held together long enough to win so much. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
So, Rafa has not won a slam for two full years now.

If Roger does not win Wimby this year, his streak will be four years long. Hope, it does not come to that.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:

If Roger does not win Wimby this year, his streak will be four years long. Hope, it does not come to that.

Not looking good for Roger with practically no match play for months. My guess is neither Federer or Nadal win another slam. Roger may reach another slam final at the USO or Wimbledon but will lose it again.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
In my opinion, he played way too much in the last one year and a half, since his appendicitis surgery.
The chicken were going to come to roost at one point. I just kept wondering when it will happen.
And now here it is, worst timing ever. He most likely blew his last chance to win a slam.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Not looking good for Roger with practically no match play for months. My guess is neither Federer or Nadal win another slam. Roger may reach another slam final at the USO or Wimbledon but will lose it again.

He is playing both Stuttgart and Halle and that should be enough match practice (assuming he goes far in both0. The first thing is that he should be 100% fit and very soon at that.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Front242 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

He is playing both Stuttgart and Halle and that should be enough match practice (assuming he goes far in both0. The first thing is that he should be 100% fit and very soon at that.

He was apparently almost fit enough to play RG but just hadn't been able to practice so he decided it was better to skip RG. Yeah, two grass warm up events should be enough assuming he does well in them and gets enough matches in before the real deal at Wimbledon.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
"Now is a tough moment, but is not the end," Nadal said bravely. "I feel myself with the right motivation and the right energy to be back in Roland Garros the next couple of years, and I really hope to keep having my chances in the future.

So, Is Rafa saying 2018 RG will be his last RG? :puzzled

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The real challenge will be keeping his body together. It hasn't been able to manifest itself for long periods of time, but to have it happen in the middle of your favorite slam is tough. The way things are going with younger players on the up it will not get any easier. To be honest, this felt like his last, best shot to get in the slam winner circle again.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sad news no matter how you spin it. He'll be thirty in a week or so and the likelihood of him winning a major again is going to decrease. I thought he had a shot in Paris this year.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Front242 said:
He was apparently almost fit enough to play RG but just hadn't been able to practice so he decided it was better to skip RG. Yeah, two grass warm up events should be enough assuming he does well in them and gets enough matches in before the real deal at Wimbledon.

I am also worried about the lack of match play, but, on the other hand, if fit enough, why he would not do well in the grass court warm up tournaments? He is Roger Federer to begin with (he probably has more grass tittles than the rest of the field combined), and has practiced a lot on grass (at least I suppose), probably more than anyone else.

Of course upsets happen, but he is the overwhelming favorite in any possible early round he might get.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
If you are Rafa, do you skip grass season and prepare for the Olympics and US Open or do you give Wimbledon a try? I personally think he should skip Wimbledon his results overall have been dreadful over the past few years. I think he should comeback strong for the Olympics and hard court season if fit.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
If you are Rafa, do you skip grass season and prepare for the Olympics and US Open or do you give Wimbledon a try? I personally think he should skip Wimbledon his results overall have been dreadful over the past few years. I think he should comeback strong for the Olympics and hard court season if fit.

I think he will be forced to do that even if he does not choose it voluntarily. He is saying that doctors want to immobilize his wrist for two weeks to begin with before doing other possible treatments on it.