Nadal pulls out of Roland Garros with wrist injury

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
9 times French Open champion Rafael Nadal has pulled out of the tournament citing a wrist injury.

The Spaniard had progressed to the third round with a straight-sets win over Facundo Bagnis on Thursday to claim his 200th grand slam match win.

"Yesterday I played with an injection," the 29-year-old told a news conference on Friday.

"Yesterday evening I started to feel more and more pain and today I felt I could not move my wrist."

5377833424_6ed98f3564_o_zpssimomvpa.jpg

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Robbed of a spectacular semi. Wish him well, but obviously I can't help but see a clearer path for Novak to the title now.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well the men's side is now over for me......utterly gutted,followed Rafa since he first played on the tour,saw him play at his second home Roland Garos many times.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It's a shame, as he seemed to be playing well enough to at least ensure a very interesting semi with Novak. This might be it for Rafa.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's a shame, as he seemed to be playing well enough to at least ensure a very interesting semi with Novak. This might be it for Rafa.
I had some hopes for that SF. It is a shame, but I really can't think that this is it for Rafa. He is the best Lazarus in tennis.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
sorry to hear that Rafa fans, was looking forward to the semi with great interest. Fedal days might be over sooner than i thought.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Sad to hear about Rafa. Luckily, it seems, he stopped playing before making the injury even worse. The players have to listen to their bodies. I am not a fan of playing with injections to numb the pain, at all. Too many players got some serious, career threatening injuries because they ignore the pain and push too hard. Good news is that he doesn't need a surgery, so hopefully rest and treatments will help him heal. That is the most important thing he needs right now. Wish him a speedy recovery.

Reactions: isabelle

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's impossible to know if he's left it too long. He has before, with the knees. And look at Del Potro. So who knows if he'll need surgery, in the end. This is such a set-back and I'm so sad for him. Sure, hopefully speedy recovery. We'll see.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
I hope he won't need surgery, I really do. That would be the worst solution for him. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Probably screws the grass season. (Federer fans, please try not to sneer here.) But hopefully he'll be fit for the Olympics and NA HC swing/USOpen. He was obviously disappointed not to be able to carry the flag for Spain in London 2012. It would be a shame if he misses out again, as he's scheduled to be the flag-bearer in Rio.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
sorry to hear that Rafa fans, was looking forward to the semi with great interest. Fedal days might be over sooner than i thought.

Yep, I think we're coming to the end of an era. Still hoping Federer pulls one of the hat for the road... but the chances are getting slimmer. This year's Wimbledon is one of the few chances remaining. Likewise I think this year's Roland Garros was one of the last chances remaining for Rafa. Both might have another chance next year, but I reckon that will be it.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well, for the first time in many years Rafa will celebrate his Birthday at home :-)2

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Interesting Stat from Brad: Only 2 players in the Open Era have won more than one slam after turning 30 - Agassi and Connors.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Interesting Stat from Brad: Only 2 players in the Open Era have won more than one slam after turning 30 - Agassi and Connors.

And Agassi had a bad wrist surgery (though he was just 23) and when he came back to play he won 7 more slams.
I understand the age has to do a lot with it but the good news is that Rafa has stopped to play before it would have been too late, he doesn't need any surgery which is a good thing and hope :good:

Last edited:

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Why did he play MC and Barcelona with a wrist problem ? I can't get ,it maybe should he have another schedule on clay, less tourneys more rest ??? he's 30 he must admit he has less possiblities than before and take care of his health, which he's never done before
Toni suggested many times to play less but he refused, now his body says STOP

Reactions: Billie and britbox

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Why did he play MC and Barcelona with a wrist problem ? I can't get ,it maybe should he have another schedule on clay, less tourneys more rest ??? he's 30 he must admit he has less possiblities than before and take care of his health, which he's never done before
Toni suggested many times to play less but he refused, now his body says STOP

It's not his body, it's his wrist which was bother him and he never said something about it thinking that it was a minor problem. Many players are going through injuries, something very difficult to avoid unless they are very lucky which you can count with the fingers of only one hand

Last edited:

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It's not his body, it's his wrist which was bother him and he never said something about it thinking that it was a minor problem. Many players are going through injuries, something very difficult to avoid unless they are very lucky which you can count with the fingers of only one hand
Since when the wrist is not part of the body?