Nole's Wrist Injury Update

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
He says he's taking a break from tennis, and doesn't know how long it will be. Here's wishing him a speedy return.

MONACO (AP)—Six-time Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic will take a break from tennis to treat his sore right wrist.

Djokovic says ''I cannot play tennis for some time. How long, I don't know.''

Djokovic lost his Monte Carlo Masters title on Saturday after being beaten by Roger Federer in the semifinal, where Djokovic played with heavy strapping on his right wrist and was unable to serve or return to his usual level.

The second-ranked Serb had complained earlier this week about the pain, but then said it felt better after taking a day off from playing and training between his matches on Tuesday and Thursday.

His arduous quarterfinal win against Guillermo Garcia-Lopez on Friday, needing more than two hours to beat the Spaniard, aggravated the pain.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/04/djokovic-take-break-treat-wrist-injury/51220/#.U1KwkOZdWjQ

It's not sounding good. :nono

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
If they thought it was or could be serious before Monte Carlo it was a really bad decision to play. If there is no surgery then maybe it isn't too serious. Could be tendonitis...

tented

Administrator
Reactions
nehmeth said:
http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/04/djokovic-take-break-treat-wrist-injury/51220/#.U1KwkOZdWjQ

It's not sounding good. :nono

That's a shame. Hopefully this will be sorted by Rome, and he can have a good tournament there before heading to RG.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This isn't great news.Novak is one of my favourite players.At least Novak dosent require surgery.Novak please take your time to heal your wrist.Hopefully you will be back playing before Roland Garos.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
fashionista said:
This isn't great news.Novak is one of my favourite players.At least Novak dosent require surgery.Novak please take your time to heal your wrist.Hopefully you will be back playing before Roland Garos.

He could miss RG. Not seeing how a doctor will tell him to rest for three weeks and then say, 2 weeks of 7 best of five matches will be fine.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
nehmeth said:
fashionista said:

He could miss RG. Not seeing how a doctor will tell him to rest for three weeks and then say, 2 weeks of 7 best of five matches will be fine.

Hopefully that may not be the case.Still if Novak has to miss RG this year,so be it.Novak has to get his wrist healed that has to be his main priority at this stage.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
fashionista said:

Pretty Disappointing, hopefully a couple weeks can do a lot...

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
FO is still more than 5 weeks off so the balloons of despair need to remain uninflated for now.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The positive point is that he says no surgery will be needed. I honestly do think and
hope that everything will be fine after couple of weeks of rest. If needed, he can skip
Madrid too.

As long as he can come back healthy for Rome and RG, it would be good.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
FO is still more than 5 weeks off so the balloons of despair need to remain uninflated for now.

Exactly. If it means missing all the masters tournaments to give himself more recovery time so be it. He's more than good enough to play his way into form in best of 5 anyway. Case in point, he hasn't played a grass warm up event for years.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Also, his confidence isn't affected any more than Nadal's right now which is good for both him and his fanbase. They're both on pretty level terms when Novak heals up. Nadal lost a tournament he's won for years and can't be feeling too good though obviously mental anguish is less of a burden than physical. Novak will be fine and will heal up in time for Roland Garros which is more important than Rome or Madrid.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:

Exactly. If it means missing all the masters tournaments to give himself more recovery time so be it. He's more than good enough to play his way into form in best of 5 anyway. Case in point, he hasn't played a grass warm up event for years.

I agree with this. He doesn't necessarily have to have Madrid and Rome to do well or even win at RG, if the wrist is good. That would be the move, and he only has to look at Del Potro for reasons why not to chance it and keep playing with it sore.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Yup. Playing with a sore wrist is not clever. I see poor Laura Robson needs wrist surgery. She's very young for such surgery.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
When Nole says it's complicated, he is not kidding. Wrists are very complex..having had various wrist issues and having known many fellow players with wrist problems they can be difficult to get past.

Bad timing for sure.

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
Being that I'm a pessimist, I have a bad pheeling. When all is said and done: del Potrovic/Delpovic?
I pray that I'm wrong.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
To be honest, I'd be sick if he misses RG. He's set his stall out and he deserves his shot, all these guys are essential parts of the landscape. When one is absent, it's not the same. It makes the tournaments lesser. Remember when Rafa missed slams, it was a lesser experience for us fans, regardless of how you think of Ralph. It's not just about vicariously accumulating titles, there's more to it.

Hopefully, he'll rest and be ready for Rome, or even Madrid...

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
To be honest, I'd be sick if he misses RG. He's set his stall out and he deserves his shot, all these guys are essential parts of the landscape. When one is absent, it's not the same. It makes the tournaments lesser. Remember when Rafa missed slams, it was a lesser experience for us fans, regardless of how you think of Ralph. It's not just about vicariously accumulating titles, there's more to it.

Hopefully, he'll rest and be ready for Rome, or even Madrid...

He knows what to,do in regards to injury rehab and recovery..trust me, he is on the case. If an MRI confirms nothing is torn he will be fine.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Wrist pain is weird though. I hurt my left wrist doing too many forearm curls in the gym like a clown about 3 years ago. Sitting on the end of a bench with the barbell over my knees I was doing forearm curls with 50kg (20kg barbell with 15kg either side) and clown face here decided to do 25 reps, followed by a set of 20 and then a final set of 16 reps. Forearms were ridiculously pumped like Popeye on the Friday I was doing this gym session but the following Monday I really regretted doing more than 10 reps on each set as my wrist was very sore and not even straight and eventually did about 8 physio sessions.

Back to the weird part. I could barely lift 2kg dumbbells for bicep curls on my left wrist after I hurt it as it was so sore with that particular bend of the wrist but yet I was able to do 3 sets of 10 reps of incline dumbbell chest press with 40kg dumbbells in each hand so it very much depends on the movement involved.

In the same way, some shots probably don't hurt Novak at all right now but others are very painful. My left wrist clicks still 3 years later after that stupid day when I was doing too many reps and if I could do a Marty McFly and go back 3 years I'd have cut out have those extra reps. Stupid :nono Anyway, a few strengthening exercises with special rubber bands from a good physio is probably what Novak needs and some time off. He'll be fine.