Will there be anyone to challenge Alcaraz?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Exactly what I was thinking and was reading through the thread to see if anyone had mentioned this. The biggest threat to Alcaraz is Alcaraz. Running so fast and chasing down every ball makes for spectacular highlight reels, but it's also quite possible it'll result in injury. Look at Andy Murray although he lasted well till early thirties. But everyone is different so who knows.
Djoker splits himself like an elastic and never gets injured, so it’s not a hard and fast rule. But one thing Carlos has in common with Rafa is that he’s having to step up to the plate against a strong top dog while he himself is still greenhorn in development. This has an effect, the tension and wear and tear of a young body challenging the best at the biggest events. Novak developed slowly, which meant he had it easier in many ways than Rafa…

Reactions: shawnbm and Moxie

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think the fact that it doesn't tell us much, actually tells us something: there's no clear window that all or even most fall into, except for very large ones, and perhaps large enough to be almost meaningless. And then there's Stan, who sort of opens the door for other exceptions (especially 1-3 Slam winners).

A few years ago some of us were speculating that maybe the usual age curve had shifted back a couple years. Then Alcaraz came along and said, "Nope." But I think over the last decade plus, we've seen more players of all levels last longer than the 80s-90s, more players peak in their late 20s and hold on into their early 30s; we've seen Stan have his peak at 28-31ish; and we've seen Carlos as a kind of Venusian Rafa 2, emerging (nearly) fully formed rather quickly.

The point being, I don't think there are any rules. Everything is game. We might see someone like FAA put it all together at 25 and win a half a dozen Slams. Or we might see Zverev wake up and smell the roses, and win a few Slams in his late 20s. Or maybe we don't. But my point is that there's a lot of possible outcomes, and a lot of new paths that can be forged (as there always has been, but it seems even more so now).
ElDude snap out of it, don’t be lured ny these non-number infidels into the trap of “we can’t figure out anything out and everything is possible”

Outliers are outliers for a reason, they are rare freaks. You really think because Brady played to 45 we are now going to get a slew of 45 year old NFL quarterbacks?

Sorry but if your Felix goes 35 Slams without reaching a final im not saying his winning multiple slams is gonna happen.

Numbers can’t predict all but they do give us probabilities and odds of things occurring because of the statistical data.

The fact remains in the last 30+ years close to 85 % of those who won a Slam and made at least 2 finals had reached a final by their 16th attempt. 70% did it by their 12th Slam. If you don’t do it by a certain time on the tour odds are it becomes harder to accomplish. Dimitrov could suddenly blossom and pull a Wawrinka but im not holding my breath. But yes, technically anything is possible.

There are reasons why the three “one and dones” Major winners took 20+ attempts. Think about it.

As to Alcaraz, in the last 60+ years every Major winner who won their first Major by age 20 went on to make at least 3 more finals with 1 exception. Juan Martin Del Potro who only made one more final. Again think about it, the numbers make sense. The wildcard was Del Potro was chronically injured.

Michael Chang is the other outlier along with JMDP in that he reached 3 more slam finals but never won another Slam. All the other aged 20 or minus first time winners won at least one more slam.

But lets narrow the numbers even more, statistically speaking , all champs in the Open era who won their first Major by age 19 ala Alcaraz went on to win at least 6 Slams & reach 10 finals and spend some weeks as #1 in the computer ranking, the range of Slams won is 6 to 22(and counting) The one outlier? Michael Chang who * only* reached 3 finals and got to #2 in the rankings. Alcaraz has already reached #1.

So the odds are good, barring injuries Carlos will win at least 4 more Slams and reach double digit Slam finals. Not a guarantee, but solid indicators.

ETA: forgot to add that all the 19 or younger winners reached the finals of at least 3 different Majors in their career, including Michael Chang.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I never really bought into the later-peak trajectory of tennis, it seemed to me that only in the mental or maturity stakes could a player benefit from experience, but certainly not physically. Yeah, some young players overwork their bodies ahead of time and suffer for it, but there’s never seemed to me to be good reason why players were peaking later.

And yet, they were. It’s one of those Big 3 era anomalies, that players took longer to find their feet and tackle the tyrants. We’re finally heading into new days..
Well, this happened in baseball in the 90s and 00s, though mostly (entirely?) due to steroids. I look at it this way: A 35-year old is smarter and wiser than a 25-year old, and with more refined skills and acumen. If their body doesn't decline, then they should be even better, or at least somewhat compensate decline with skills and experience. The problem is that after about 30, injuries and wear and tear inevitably start taking a toll, so it is a "raging against the dying of the light" (for all of us, lol).

I'm not suggesting that any tennis players are using steroids, but it could be that with better training and health regimes, they are holding onto their fitness longer, and as they mature mentally, they combine experience with fitness and reach new levels--or at least maintain levels--a bit older and longer.

Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well, I'm glad you said that! I know you kind of like to fit things into boxes, or stats, and this one didn't fit. Age is only a number, in the new model, and maybe anyone can break out, whenever. Right? That's why I said lots of players might yet take heart. As the Big 3 shove off from the shore, a land of possibility awaits.
Well, I don't as much like to "fit things into boxes" as use stats to illustrate patterns and shine a bit of objectivity into the mix. As I think you know, I don't see stats as a replacement for what we see on the court, but to help us (or me, anyway) take a step back and better understand it.

But yeah, a long of possibility indeed. I like Alcaraz, but I certainly don't want to see the Big Three Era replaced by the Huge One Era! I do hope this new age will be competitive, and that there were will be bonafide challenges to Alcaraz's throne, even if he does hold it for the most part.

Reactions: tented and Moxie

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, I don't as much like to "fit things into boxes" as use stats to illustrate patterns and shine a bit of objectivity into the mix. As I think you know, I don't see stats as a replacement for what we see on the court, but to help us (or me, anyway) take a step back and better understand it.

But yeah, a long of possibility indeed. I like Alcaraz, but I certainly don't want to see the Big Three Era replaced by the Huge One Era! I do hope this new age will be competitive, and that there were will be bonafide challenges to Alcaraz's throne, even if he does hold it for the most part.
1689955684053.png

• Haha
Reactions: tented and Moxie

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Lot of Holger love here. He’s the youngster who deserves it, outside of Carlos. He has spite, grit, any of those words that describe cussed stubbornness. I do have one caveat with him though. He’s a bad boy with a tough mentality, but had he got the ambition to be king? We can’t know that yet, but the signs are good. He beat Novak and four others in the top ten last year in Paris. But I’m holding back a little until we see him breakthrough at a slam. I don’t doubt he will, but I just wonder if he has the ambition to be more than a spoiler, to be more than everybody’s favourite bad boy.

I think he has, but only time will tell..

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Lot of Holger love here. He’s the youngster who deserves it, outside of Carlos. He has spite, grit, any of those words that describe cussed stubbornness. I do have one caveat with him though. He’s a bad boy with a tough mentality, but had he got the ambition to be king? We can’t know that yet, but the signs are good. He beat Novak and four others in the top ten last year in Paris. But I’m holding back a little until we see him breakthrough at a slam. I don’t doubt he will, but I just wonder if he has the ambition to be more than a spoiler, to be more than everybody’s favourite bad boy.

There are still things in his game that need addressing, technically, his fhand to me needs a shorter back swing, it is too loopy at times and easy attackable especially on grass, also he needs more strength training, his shoulder, wrist, at times break down and being able to last a match the best of 5? he is young and has the time to improve.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, this happened in baseball in the 90s and 00s, though mostly (entirely?) due to steroids. I look at it this way: A 35-year old is smarter and wiser than a 25-year old, and with more refined skills and acumen. If their body doesn't decline, then they should be even better, or at least somewhat compensate decline with skills and experience. The problem is that after about 30, injuries and wear and tear inevitably start taking a toll, so it is a "raging against the dying of the light" (for all of us, lol).

I'm not suggesting that any tennis players are using steroids, but it could be that with better training and health regimes, they are holding onto their fitness longer, and as they mature mentally, they combine experience with fitness and reach new levels--or at least maintain levels--a bit older and longer.
Could be that, it’s always been hard to judge. Could be that the youngsters that came after just went up to the task. They just weren’t great enough to bring down the 3. I always used to say that the old get eaten by the young in the wild and in sports, but tennis bucked that law of nature for almost two decades until Carlos set an old trend again as if it was new. The next few years could see us going back again to the old ways, with youngsters growing into the role of leaders, and burning out quicker because the ones that follow them aren’t such pussies as the missing link generations that followed Federer…

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
There are still things in his game that need addressing, technically, his fhand to me needs a shorter back swing, it is too loopy at times and easy attackable especially on grass, also he needs more strength training, his shoulder, wrist, at times break down and being able to last a match the best of 5? he is young and has the time to improve.
The thing with great champions is that they still win despite technical deficiencies. They cover them. So with Holger, while he’s learning he would still win a slam if his last 3 matches were against Tiafoe, Ruud and Tsitsipas, as an example.

But the three of them wouldn’t win a slam even with a relatively easier passage against players they’re technically better than, unless they got really lucky..

Reactions: shawnbm and tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The thing with great champions is that they still win despite technical deficiencies. They cover them. So with Holger, while he’s learning he would still win a slam if his last 3 matches were against Tiafoe, Ruud and Tsitsipas, as an example.

But the three of them wouldn’t win a slam even with a relatively easier passage against players they’re technically better than, unless they got really lucky..
Those 3 lets move on shall we lol!, Rune is a future GS winner, he has the weapons and the will to win, though at times he does lose focus, he is still young and his focus is something to work on.

Reactions: Moxie and shawnbm

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I felt like I was in Twilite Zone when I turned on the Tennis Chnl to see Alvaraz playing Hopman Cup on clay! WTF? Too weird! Never seen a major winner playing the next week, much less on a different surface than more grass! Martina & Chris went to Newport once or twice way back when! As I said, this kid is going to overplay at first! I'm shocked! He's down a set & a break, but seems to be coming back against Goffin! :face-with-head-bandage: :fearful-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth::astonished-face:

Reactions: Kieran

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
ElDude snap out of it, don’t be lured ny these non-number infidels into the trap of “we can’t figure out anything out and everything is possible”

Outliers are outliers for a reason, they are rare freaks. You really think because Brady played to 45 we are now going to get a slew of 45 year old NFL quarterbacks?

Sorry but if your Felix goes 35 Slams without reaching a final im not saying his winning multiple slams is gonna happen.

Numbers can’t predict all but they do give us probabilities and odds of things occurring because of the statistical data.

The fact remains in the last 30+ years close to 85 % of those who won a Slam and made at least 2 finals had reached a final by their 16th attempt. 70% did it by their 12th Slam. If you don’t do it by a certain time on the tour odds are it becomes harder to accomplish. Dimitrov could suddenly blossom and pull a Wawrinka but im not holding my breath. But yes, technically anything is possible.

There are reasons why the three “one and dones” Major winners took 20+ attempts. Think about it.

As to Alcaraz, in the last 60+ years every Major winner who won their first Major by age 20 went on to make at least 3 more finals with 1 exception. Juan Martin Del Potro who only made one more final. Again think about it, the numbers make sense. The wildcard was Del Potro was chronically injured.

Michael Chang is the other outlier along with JMDP in that he reached 3 more slam finals but never won another Slam. All the other aged 20 or minus first time winners won at least one more slam.

But lets narrow the numbers even more, statistically speaking , all champs in the Open era who won their first Major by age 19 ala Alcaraz went on to win at least 6 Slams & reach 10 finals and spend some weeks as #1 in the computer ranking, the range of Slams won is 6 to 22(and counting) The one outlier? Michael Chang who * only* reached 3 finals and got to #2 in the rankings. Alcaraz has already reached #1.

So the odds are good, barring injuries Carlos will win at least 4 more Slams and reach double digit Slam finals. Not a guarantee, but solid indicators.

ETA: forgot to add that all the 19 or younger winners reached the finals of at least 3 different Majors in their career, including Michael Chang.
LOL, "non-numbers infidels."

Yes, probabilities but not certainties.

Dimitrov won't become Stanimal because he's 32 already. Stan started morphing into Stanimal at 28, in 2013, and played at a higher level until age 32 when he dropped off. But that doesn't mean that someone like FAA or Sinner couldn't find a new level in the second half of their 20s.

A lot of guys of the last decade, and not just the Big Three, remained at or near peak form into their 30s, more so than even Roger's gen. Even going back to Ferrer, who peaked at 28-33; crazy to think that he was born the same year as Roddick and Nalbandian. And this addresses @Kieran 's point: it wasn't just the weak Lost and Next Gens not being able to beat the Big Three. Other guys maintained form a bit later than the last few generations.

Or we can go back to the Kuerten gaggle. It was a weak group, but also marked by earlier decline -- pretty much all of them were done, at least as top 10 players, well before they turned 30 (except for Tommy Haas, sort of). But more recent 2nd and 3rd tier types like Berdych, Tsonga, Isner, Anderson, Gasquet, Monfils, all were still pretty good on their 30th birthdays, and some for a bit after. Oh, and Stan.

What Stan did was open the door of possibility. It doesn't mean the probabilities radically change, but it does show players that it is possible.

On the other hand, Alcaraz and, to a lesser degree Rune, show us that you don't have to wait until 22 to become an elite player. Actually, Zverev was already pretty good at 20 years old, so maybe he was the beginning of the return to normalcy. Before Sascha, you have to go back to Del Potro, born 9 years before, to find a player winning a big title at 20 years old.

So lots of factors involved: The greatness of the Big Three (or Four), the weakness of Lost Gen, and perhaps players maintaining form a bit longer than the last few decades (at least since the 70s, before the game skewed younger in the 80s and on).

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I felt like I was in Twilite Zone when I turned on the Tennis Chnl to see Alvaraz playing Hopman Cup on clay! WTF? Too weird! Never seen a major winner playing the next week, much less on a different surface than more grass! Martina & Chris went to Newport once or twice way back when! As I said, this kid is going to overplay at first! I'm shocked! He's down a set & a break, but seems to be coming back against Goffin! :face-with-head-bandage: :fearful-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth::astonished-face:
Fiero, this year Hopman Cup is a tiddlywinks giggles exhibition with zero points involved. Seriously, clay after Wimbledon & before the HC season? LOL

I doubt little Holger picked up a racket before he played or exerted himself too much to risk injury.

As to Carlos:
Since Wimbledon I didn’t touch the racquet, today will be the first time,” said Alcaraz, who takes on 111th-ranked Belgian David Goffin later on Friday.

“I’m a little bit tired, I’m not going to lie,” he said.

“I had some days off to rest a little bit. I’m feeling great right now. I’m here to make people happy watching the match.”

See ? Everybody happy with their appearance fees, playing “matches” (wink, wink) basking in the sun of the French Rivera and working on their tans. ; )

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
He just probably didn’t expect to do that well in Wimbledon..

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In regards to the Hopman Cup
As I explained earlier,in the ATP News
Each team that wins gets one point
The top 2 team at the end of the group stage compete in the final.
( Alcaraz won btw 10-8 in the super t/break) their are no ranking points.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Definitely agree. Plus, Novak didn't really look right physically during the Wimbledon final and he might have hurt his wrist when he broke the racket. I wouldn't be surprised if Novak didn't make it past the first week at the US Open. Also, a good point about Alcaraz. The US Open is the hardest slam to repeat. Carlos and Novak have won the last 5 slams, so we may be overdue for a slam champion outside those two.
Sorry I just saw your post to me, I have no sympathy for Novak when he smashed his racket into the post at Wimbledon for starters, ( this is not the first time Novak has smashed his racket in matches, if he hurt his wrist that maybe a 'wake up call' to try to control his emotions, he got a small fine of $8,000 of smashing the wood on the net post, also in front of his son who was watching his dad, what kind of message does that send? lets move on,well Meddy if he shows the same form on the HC earlier this year, he could be the player to win at the USO this year, his 2nd GS at the USO.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I do think he has the ambition. It's just a guess at this point, but I think it's one of the things that's made him a bad-boy. Remember that Roger was pretty ill-behaved in his early years, with the frustration of talent that was too unformed to keep up with his expectations of it. Another thing that might be motivating for him is having come up with Charly. They played against each other, and together, in doubles, as kids. If anything would light a fire under him, I'd think it would be seeing what Alcaraz is already doing, and wanting to meet it. Now, you might say, but what about Gasquet? He was born within weeks of Nadal, they played as juniors, and it didn't seem to give Richie a hot-foot. But let's face it: did Gasquet ever look as ambitious or hungry as Rune? I would say no.

Reactions: Kieran