Anyone here bet on tennis ?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Anyone here bet on tennis ? I used to bet large amounts but not anymore. These days it's mostly for fun and small amounts but curious if anyone else here does. An extra incentive when I watch matches. Probably saw from the 1/4 final thread posts but today I had a double on Nadal and Fritz to both win a set and Kyrgios v Garin to be over 35.5 games but the 6-3 second set didn't help and Garin really needed to win a set which he didn't but anyway. It was small, only €25 for potential €65 back. Seemed like it was a good call but Garin let me down!

You never know what to expect from Kyrgios so I'm reluctant to ever bet on his matches and it's gonna stay that way after today. Just seeing the fight Garin put up against De Minaur, I thought he'd at least keep it closer or win a set but Nick wins in 3 when you don't want him to and vice versa :banghead:

Last edited:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
No, but I have no idea why @kskate2 doesn’t. She would be so rich, she would forgot about us.

769564BE-12B8-4F2F-A1BC-417E37A32A61.gif

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I used to bet a lot in my high school and college years, but mostly small money up to 5 euros. Later when started to work I tried a couple of times with a bigger money up to 200 euros, but seemed like sooner or later I just messed up my bets.

One thing I know is that tennis knowledge doesn't really help that much in betting. Betting can be fun though, but also frustrating at times.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Actually my PT and I , well he forced me into it today to have a few bets on tennis, while I was having my training session with him at the gym.
It was all in good fun, though I will be interested to see how we both fare at the completion of Wimbledon.He bet's regularly on sports and he's quite successful, though asked for my advice on tennis today.

Last edited:

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I used to bet a little. But I closed my online betting accounts after they started wanting passport id no way...

1 year at the USO I think 2016 I put a £1 bet on every 1st round men's match which was fun, think I ended up just about making my money back. Do you ever play the draw challenge? That's enjoyable, obviously no financial gain but no loss either :p I remember betting one time on Federer winning a set at Wimbledon 6-1, the odds were really good & he was 5-1 up & I thought he was serving next so stuck £15 on it, you can imagine my annoyance when I put his match on tv to find his opponent serving next :facepalm: He won the set 6-2 in the end, I made sure to pay more attention to the scores after that lol.

I know it's wrong, but I always wanted to try betting live at a tournament because of the delay, I have seen people do it at Wimbledon before. I think with all the cctv it's risky but it would be tempting to chance it, just to make a couple hundred just to pay for the extremely over priced Wimbledon tickets :)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well my fortunes have kind of taken twist of good fortune.The odds for Nick K making the final at the start of the tournament was 50/1, geez my PT trainer just texted me and said I should have taken those odds, I texted him and said Nick K has a walk over to the mens final.Though we put a bet on Nick K to win the mens finals yesterday at the odds of 8/1, also Ons Jabeur to win the ladies final.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Well my fortunes have kind of taken twist of good fortune.The odds for Nick K making the final at the start of the tournament was 50/1, geez my PT trainer just texted me and said I should have taken those odds, I texted him and said Nick K has a walk over to the mens final.Though we put a bet on Nick K to win the mens finals yesterday at the odds of 8/1, also Ons Jabeur to win the ladies final.
Personally I think Rybakina will win but I like both and will be happy either way. Gonna try and watch it if I can. She strikes me as a younger, less erratic Kvitova and the best thing about her is not a single grunt out of her eventhough she belts seven shades of shit out of the ball! Hits very clean, not a lot of errors, good serve. I get that Jabeur uses tons of variety (slice etc) but wonder if she'll be able to. Rybakina is borderline unplayable like Kvitova at her best though Kvitova rarely manages to maintain a high level long, often with crazy scorelines of 6-1, 1-6, 6-1.

I kinda hope Rybakina wins as it's bound to piss the organizers off. She was born in Moscow, lives in Moscow and like many other Russian players only represents Kazakhstan for sponsorship. Imagine if Kyrgios wins too. Bad day for the media. Bad boy of tennis and for all purposes a Russian winner for the women's title. It could happen and would serve them right for the totally unjust ban this year.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Personally I think Rybakina will win but I like both and will be happy either way. Gonna try and watch it if I can. She strikes me as a younger, less erratic Kvitova and the best thing about her is not a single grunt out of her eventhough she belts seven shades of shit out of the ball! Hits very clean, not a lot of errors, good serve. I get that Jabeur uses tons of variety (slice etc) but wonder if she'll be able to. Rybakina is borderline unplayable like Kvitova at her best though Kvitova rarely manages to maintain a high level long, often with crazy scorelines of 6-1, 1-6, 6-1.

I kinda hope Rybakina wins as it's bound to piss the organizers off. She was born in Moscow, lives in Moscow and like many other Russian players only represents Kazakhstan for sponsorship. Imagine if Kyrgios wins too. Bad day for the media. Bad boy of tennis and for all purposes a Russian winner for the women's title. It could happen and would serve them right for the totally unjust ban this year.
I ,love Rybakina's game she does also remind of Petra, though a right handed one, she got over COVID earlier this year as well, which held her back a bit.
It will be a contrast of styles, in the match, though the one factor on Ons side, is that she has not lost a match on grass in 12 months, also has the game to diffuse big hitters, it will be an interesting match up for sure.

Reactions: Front242