Anyone else feel like it's Roger vs. the field in early '18?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes, I do too. In fact, that is one of the reasons I would recommend Roger to play Rotterdam this year (and skip Miami).

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Playing Dubai, IW and Miami is actually playing five weeks in a row. He is too old for that. Even last year, it was visible that
he was struggling in Miami (even though he pulled off a victory). So, he must skip Miami. Once he skips Miami, he needs
some other tourney to compensate for it and Rotterdam fits that role nicely.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I wouldn’t say that. Some top players may not be fully fit for now, but they can get back to full fitness during the the course of the year. Given Roger’s age, he could be the one struggling more often with fitness in 2018. It’s too early to say that.

roberto

Futures Player
Reactions
I wouldn’t say that. Some top players may not be fully fit for now, but they can get back to full fitness during the the course of the year. Given Roger’s age, he could be the one struggling more often with fitness in 2018. It’s too early to say that.
That's why I said: "In early '18" in my post.

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
If Nadal is physically struggling, than yes, I agree with the OP. If not, it seems to be between those two.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If Nadal is physically struggling, than yes, I agree with the OP. If not, it seems to be between those two.
It's rather stunning that we're still back to the 2 of them, or Roger. But no one is making much mention of Roger having back issues at the WTF, and just before. He may look like the healthiest guy of the top ones, but his back and age do add the wildcard aspect. However, given all the news, he might just have early '18 to himself.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
It's rather stunning that we're still back to the 2 of them, or Roger. But no one is making much mention of Roger having back issues at the WTF, and just before. He may look like the healthiest guy of the top ones, but his back and age do add the wildcard aspect. However, given all the news, he might just have early '18 to himself.

Yes, right now it seems he is the one arriving at the AO in full strength. I saw about 10 minutes of his singles match and short clip of his doubles in the Hopman Cup, he is quite loose on court to my eyes. Of course that two or three matches may change a lot, but all of a sudden he seems to be the heavy favorite. Luckily for him, he's been on this place before and it might not compromise anything.

But there is still the draw factor. Djokovic will lose all points from Doha and will fall below #12. Murray might well lose some spots too, and who the hell might know who is going to benefit from a crazy draw, and the crazy results that might follow.

Reactions: britbox and Moxie

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Yep, I was about to post and you beat me to it. Novak was at Position #12. Now that he is not defending his title at Doha, He is sure to fall down from that spot and that spot is very crucial. Now, even assuming he manages to stay within top 16 (most likely scenario), he will be forced to face a top four (including possibly Rafa or Roger) player in R4.

Also, I believe Andy was in spot #16. While he does not have to defend a title, he has some points to defend at Brisbane. Not defending them might cause him to go down below 16. Again spot 16 is crucial and if he cannot maintain that, he will have a draw disadvantage.

Reactions: Moxie

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Yep, I was about to post and you beat me to it. Novak was at Position #12. Now that he is not defending his title at Doha, He is sure to fall down from that spot and that spot is very crucial. Now, even assuming he manages to stay within top 16 (most likely scenario), he will be forced to face a top four (including possibly Rafa or Roger) player in R4.

Also, I believe Andy was in spot #16. While he does not have to defend a title, he has some points to defend at Brisbane. Not defending them might cause him to go down below 16. Again spot 16 is crucial and if he cannot maintain that, he will have a draw disadvantage.
Or whoever is unfortunate to be in his draw

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
The top guys are dropping like flies!

To be honest - I've felt like it's "Roger vs. the field..." for about 15 years now... I would imagine Nadal's and Djokovic's fans think the same way...

This year is going to be interesting...especially if Djokovic and/or Nadal can't make it to the starting gate for the AO. And Murray and Djokovic are still nursing injuries by the time IW/Miami roll around in March. I fully expect Nadal to play the AO - even if he has to play one leg.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
To be honest - I've felt like it's "Roger vs. the field..." for about 15 years now... I would imagine Nadal's and Djokovic's fans think the same way...

This year is going to be interesting...especially if Djokovic and/or Nadal can't make it to the starting gate for the AO. And Murray and Djokovic are still nursing injuries by the time IW/Miami roll around in March. I fully expect Nadal to play the AO - even if he has to play one leg.
Even when there was lots of evidence to the contrary (the fallow years.) Federer fans are nothing if not...confident. :)

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Even when there was lots of evidence to the contrary (the fallow years.) Federer fans are nothing if not...confident. :)

Well, yeah...but isn't that true of Nadal and Djokovic fans as well? When Nadal was flaming out for 2 1/2 years - not even making it to FO finals - weren't you guys all saying he'll be back, he'll win again, etc., etc., etc? Cuz...I seem to recall Carol venting her spleen on the subject more than a few times... If you abandon your favorite in hard times then you're not really much of a fan, are you?

Reactions: Moxie and Federberg

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, yeah...but isn't that true of Nadal and Djokovic fans as well? When Nadal was flaming out for 2 1/2 years - not even making it to FO finals - weren't you guys all saying he'll be back, he'll win again, etc., etc., etc? Cuz...I seem to recall Carol venting her spleen on the subject more than a few times... If you abandon your favorite in hard times then you're not really much of a fan, are you?
For sure! I'm just giving you a hard time, plus the thread is about Roger vs. the field. But yes, I stick with Rafa through thick and thin, and I'd rather rally behind him and be a bit of a fan girl than turn on him or go away. :)