Will there be anyone to challenge Alcaraz?

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don't want to derail other threads with my tangential musings, so thought I'd start this one. This is riffing off of the Wimbledon final thread, especially Pat Cash's rhetorical question about "who will challenge Alcaraz in the next few years?"

As I said to @Moxie , two things make me question the hint of certainty of the notion that Alcaraz will be largely unchallenged over the next few years (perhaps implying a similar level of dominance to Roger's 2004-07 reign, which is probably the best example of a largely unchallenged few year period). For one, Novak is still around and playing at a very high level. This may not be the Novak of 2011-16, or even of 2021, but he's still very good - and better than the version of Agassi that Roger faced. At the very least he won't be a pushover for Alcaraz; that is, he will challenge him. Daniil Medvedev, too, especially on hard courts.

Secondly, and more to the point of this thread, we just don't know how other young players will develop. We don't know how much more development Jannik Sinner (22 next month) or Holger Rune (20 in April, a few weeks older than Alcaraz) have - and even other young players: while they're both either 23 or almost 23, both Sebastien Korda and Felix Auger-Aliassime have un-tapped potential; we also have promising 21-year olds Lorenzo Musetti and Jiri Lehecka; Ben Shelton (20); and the rising French duo of 19-year olds in Arthur Fils and Luca van Assche.

What we're seeing in Carlos Alcaraz is both a player of immense talent and an early-bloomer. But the latter isn't a pre-requisite for the former. Alcaraz has already done more before American drinking age than all but a small handful of players in the Open Era: only Bjorn Borg, John McEnroe, Mats Wilander, Boris Becker, and Rafael Nadal were similarly accomplished (and Mac didn't even win his second Slam until after his 21st birthday, but had won a ton of other big titles).

Consider Roger Federer at the same age. Alcaraz was born on May 5, 2003; today is July 18 of 2023, so he's 20 years old and about two and half months. Roger was born on August 8 of 1981, so was the same age in late October of 2001.

Alcaraz (now): 2 Grand Slams, 4 Masters, 12 titles overall; 2344 Elo; one year-end #1, 29 weeks at #1.
Federer (end of Oct, 2001): 0 Grand Slams, 1 Masters, 4 titles overall; ~2116 Elo (had been 2168 earlier in the year); ranked #12

It would be almost two more years until Roger won his first Slam at Wimbledon in 2003, and two and a half more years until he became #1 -- or for his Elo rating to reach the elite level of 2300; he wouldn't reach Alcaraz's current Elo level until almost three years later, in May of 2004.

No one will say that Roger didn't become one of the greatest players ever. And his 2004-07 period was probably the most dominant four-year stretch in Open Era history. But at Carlos's age he was merely a very good player - he hadn't yet reached the top 10, had won a Masters but not a Slam. In fact, he had only reached two Slam QFs, earlier that year. If you want to look for a comp among currently active young players, Jannik Sinner works - his numbers are similar, even if he hasn't won a Masters yet. This is not to say that Sinner (or anyone, including Alcaraz) will become as good as Roger--he almost certainly won't--but to point out that at the same point in his career, Roger was about as good as Sinner is now.

Which brings me back to my central thesis: Different players, great and not great, develop in different ways and at different paces. We shouldn't confuse Alcaraz's unusually quick development with how great players inherently blossom. Many take a bit longer to cook. Connors did, as did Lendl, Edberg, even Sampras and Novak and most definitely Roger.

I do think that Alcaraz will be the player to beat in the years to come. But I'm not ready yet to say that there will be no one to challenge him. It is too soon to tell - especially with Rune, who I think has shown flashes of greatness to come; but also Sinner and other players, both known and unknown. All we know right now is that Alcaraz is already a great player; what we don't know is if anyone will join him in greatness, or if anyone will at least be good enough to play spoiler and challenge him in certain contexts.

Last edited:

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rune, Sinner and FAA could be the ones to challenge him in the next 10 years. Also Musetti on clay. Medvedev will also have some great moments in the next few years. Some new players will also emerge. That being said, Alcaraz will otherwise erase all tennis records except the ones that Nadal set on clay. Fedovic fans will see their records crumble on after the other and I look forward to it. :rose: :bye:

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I actually don’t think Sinner will challenge Alcaraz due to the physical difference between the two and obviously their games are in different stratosphere right now. Now, if Sinner is able to bring it all together, then maybe I can see him challenge Alcaraz in the future.

As for Rune, I can see him challenging Alcaraz in the future, however; I have to temper the expectations just a little bit also. Yes, Rune is ONLY 20 years old and yes, he does have that competitive spirit or edge, but that Wimbledon match showed me that their level is still far away from each other. Even Rune said it himself that he needs to be better mentally and physically in order to catch Alcaraz’s level. Just like Sinner, it is uncertain if or when Rune will reach his true potential yet.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Good post, @El Dude. I think that Pat Cash remark is commentator hyperbole. We did sort of discuss it on the other thread, but never one to shy away from repeating myself, let me say again: A) it's ridiculous to think that Sunday's final was the death knell of Novak. He's not merely "still a good player," he's still a great player. I do think he'll be ruing that Alcaraz is an early-bloomer and such a quick-study, but it certainly doesn't mean that Alcaraz has his number. And I doubt he'll underestimate him again. B) I do have faith in some of the other up-and-comers. Rune, in particular, I'll admit, but not selling on Sinner, and I do think there is a fair number of promising young players out there. I think they'll be looking at Alcaraz and maybe finally working hard for it, unlike some of the Next Gen/Lost Gen. And just maybe Novak lost an ounce of mystique on Sunday. Let's see who really wants it, and will put in the work. C) You mention Roger's 2004-2007 reign. I don't see that happening because of my A & B. I know it's a bit of a tetchy point around here, that run by Roger, but it's not only because he was so supremely talented, IMO. You need solid competition. For Alcaraz to have that kind of a run he'd need Novak to fade precipitously, and for every other solid player and promising youngster to prove to be nothing but an also-ran. i just don't see that happening. He may well run rough-shod over most of them, most of the time, but I expect real rivals to arise, and I expect Novak to extract revenge, before he's done.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
…Secondly, and more to the point of this thread, we just don't know how other young players will develop. We don't know how much more development Jannik Sinner (22 next month) or Holger Rune (20 in April, a few weeks older than Alcaraz) have - and even other young players: while they're both either 23 or almost 23, both Sebastien Korda and Felix Auger-Aliassime have un-tapped potential; we also have promising 21-year olds Lorenzo Musetti and Jiri Lehecka; Ben Shelton (20); and the rising French duo of 19-year olds in Arthur Fils and Luca van Assche.

(edited)

Which brings me back to my central thesis: Different players, great and not great, develop in different ways and at different paces. We shouldn't confuse Alcaraz's unusually quick development with how great players inherently blossom. Many take a bit longer to cook. Connors did, as did Lendl, Edberg, even Sampras and Novak and most definitely Roger.

I do think that Alcaraz will be the player to beat in the years to come. But I'm not ready yet to say that there will be no one to challenge him. It is too soon to tell - especially with Rune, who I think has shown flashes of greatness to come; but also Sinner and other players, both known and unknown. All we know right now is that Alcaraz is already a great player; what we don't know is if anyone will join him in greatness, or if anyone will at least be good enough to play spoiler and challenge him in certain contexts.
Don’t want this interpreted as bashing because they both seem like pleasant unassuming nice guys but…..

In August Jannik Sinner is turning 22 and Felix AA turns 23, what have they actually accomplished so far with a signature match win at a Slam over a champ or failing that, a big tournament victory?

Sure, Sinner beat Alcaraz at Wimbledon last year but Carlos wasn’t even a Slam winner yet and his flashes of brillance at the slams were 2 five set losses to Djokovic & Alcaraz.

Ditto Felix’s 5 set loss at the French Open to Nadal.

Neither has won a Masters ( compare with Rune beating 5 top 10 players in 5 consecutive days to win Paris)

To put it in perpective, by age 22 both Zverev & Tsitspas had flashes of sustained brillance. Zverev had won 3 masters over top 5 players and a YE ATP champs.

Tsitsipas had upset 6 time & defending champhion Federer to reach the 2019 AO SF’s and had won the YE ATP finals in London and by age 22 reached a Major final at the FO.

As you say players progress at different rates but i still haven't seen from Felix/Sinner anything tangible other than potential.

Having said that, again I concede bursting through is not always a gradual linear progression. It just happens.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Don’t want this interpreted as bashing because they both seem like pleasant unassuming nice guys but…..

In August Jannik Sinner is turning 22 and Felix AA turns 23, what have they actually accomplished so far with a signature match win at a Slam over a champ or failing that, a big tournament victory?

Sure, Sinner beat Alcaraz at Wimbledon last year but Carlos wasn’t even a Slam winner yet and his flashes of brillance at the slams were 2 five set losses to Djokovic & Alcaraz.

Neither has won a Masters ( compare with Rune beating 5 top 10 players in 5 consecutive days to win Paris)

To put it in perpective, by age 22 both Zverev & Tsitspas had flashes of sustained brillance. Zverev had won 3 masters over top 5 players and a YE ATP champs.

Tsitsipas had upset 6 time & defending champhion Federer to reach the 2019 AO SF’s and had won the YE ATP finals in London and by age 22 reached a Major final at the FO.

As you say players progress at different rates but i still haven't seen from Felix/Sinner anything tangible other than potential.

Having said that, again I concede bursting through is not always a gradual linear progression. It just happens.
Yes, Alcaraz was not a Slam winner yet, but he was a two-time M1000 title champion coming to Wimbledon and he just had an amazing run at Madrid. So, it was still an impressive win over Alcaraz by Sinner.

I am with you about Sinner/FAA regarding about not winning big titles. At some point, they have to start winning those Masters 1000 titles.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I actually don’t think Sinner will challenge Alcaraz due to the physical difference between the two and obviously their games are in different stratosphere right now. Now, if Sinner is able to bring it all together, then maybe I can see him challenge Alcaraz in the future.

As for Rune, I can see him challenging Alcaraz in the future, however; I have to temper the expectations just a little bit also. Yes, Rune is ONLY 20 years old and yes, he does have that competitive spirit or edge, but that Wimbledon match showed me that their level is still far away from each other. Even Rune said it himself that he needs to be better mentally and physically in order to catch Alcaraz’s level. Just like Sinner, it is uncertain if or when Rune will reach his true potential yet.

If Djokovic managed to challenge the much superior Nadal then anything is possible. Just like Nadal, Alcaraz due to his style of play will also probably suffer injuries throughout his career opening the door for Sinner & Rune to take advantage of the situation just like Djokovic did.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

It has been apparent that Sinner needs to not only concentrate on his serve, also his net play, though he said he does have to concentrate more on his physical being, strength training, I dont think we will see a big change this year in that department, quite frankly, it will be ongoing, his physical composite is tall and thin, though with the right diet and gym training he can put on some muscle, Novak has added much need weight this year, I have seen him live and up close and he was very thin, so Sinner can gain much needed muscle in the future, which will bode him well.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Good post, @El Dude. I think that Pat Cash remark is commentator hyperbole. We did sort of discuss it on the other thread, but never one to shy away from repeating myself, let me say again: A) it's ridiculous to think that Sunday's final was the death knell of Novak. He's not merely "still a good player," he's still a great player. I do think he'll be ruing that Alcaraz is an early-bloomer and such a quick-study, but it certainly doesn't mean that Alcaraz has his number. And I doubt he'll underestimate him again. B) I do have faith in some of the other up-and-comers. Rune, in particular, I'll admit, but not selling on Sinner, and I do think there is a fair number of promising young players out there. I think they'll be looking at Alcaraz and maybe finally working hard for it, unlike some of the Next Gen/Lost Gen. And just maybe Novak lost an ounce of mystique on Sunday. Let's see who really wants it, and will put in the work. C) You mention Roger's 2004-2007 reign. I don't see that happening because of my A & B. I know it's a bit of a tetchy point around here, that run by Roger, but it's not only because he was so supremely talented, IMO. You need solid competition. For Alcaraz to have that kind of a run he'd need Novak to fade precipitously, and for every other solid player and promising youngster to prove to be nothing but an also-ran. i just don't see that happening. He may well run rough-shod over most of them, most of the time, but I expect real rivals to arise, and I expect Novak to extract revenge, before he's done.
Agree on all accounts, Moxie - and well said. Actually, it makes me look forward to "Part 3" of Alcaraz vs. Novak (at Slams).

One thing to factor in, as well: Everyone will be gunning for Alcaraz, as the new anointed top dog. I also wouldn't be surprised if we see a bit of a let-down in in the coming months - he's been going all-out all year, and exhaustion might set in at some point.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

I hear you and feel the same about those two. I remarked earlier in the year that Sinner seemed a bit "fragile," and I think the last few months with minor injuries somewhat supports that. But he also seems like he doesn't quite have enough tooth - that fire and edge that great players tend to have.

As for FAA...I've whined about him. He's been rather disappointing. His game has a lot to offer, but he's reminding me a bit of Gasquet or Dimitrov: looks nicer than the results.

That said, I'm still expecting both to win at least a Masters or two and am not writing them off for Slams.

BTW, Zverev and Tsitsipas aren't the best names to bring up, because both have significant problems that have prevented them from fulfilling their potential - mostly mental. We could also bring up Daniil Medvedev, who has turned out to be the best of Next Gen and didn't even turn pro until he was 20 or reach the top 10 until he was 23.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Agree on all accounts, Moxie - and well said. Actually, it makes me look forward to "Part 3" of Alcaraz vs. Novak (at Slams).

One thing to factor in, as well: Everyone will be gunning for Alcaraz, as the new anointed top dog. I also wouldn't be surprised if we see a bit of a let-down in in the coming months - he's been going all-out all year, and exhaustion might set in at some point.
Alcaraz is in his salad days, and who knows where his trip-line will be.

I'm interested in the notion that everyone will be gunning for him. Technically, they would have been, anyway, as #1, but having beaten Novak at Wimbledon, yes, he does become the real top dog. For the moment. Do the younger players see some blood in the water in terms of Djokovic? Do they say to themselves, "why not me?" And, sure, does Alcaraz have a sophomore slump? Alcaraz winning last Sunday did sort of shake everything up. Let's see if we go back to status quo, or if everything changes.

Reactions: El Dude

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Alcaraz is in his salad days, and who knows where his trip-line will be.

I'm interested in the notion that everyone will be gunning for him. Technically, they would have been, anyway, as #1, but having beaten Novak at Wimbledon, yes, he does become the real top dog. For the moment. Do the younger players see some blood in the water in terms of Djokovic? Do they say to themselves, "why not me?" And, sure, does Alcaraz have a sophomore slump? Alcaraz winning last Sunday did sort of shake everything up. Let's see if we go back to status quo, or if everything changes.
That's kind of what I'm implying. Beating Novak in a Slam final is huge, and may have an unquantifiable ripple effect among some of the other players - not only the idea that Novak is beatable, but that Carlos is now the true #1. I mean, let's face it: despite the rankings, up until that win, Novak was the "real" top dog. I think Alcaraz sent a message: "No, I'm #1 and I deserve it."

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's kind of what I'm implying. Beating Novak in a Slam final is huge, and may have an unquantifiable ripple effect among some of the other players - not only the idea that Novak is beatable, but that Carlos is now the true #1. I mean, let's face it: despite the rankings, up until that win, Novak was the "real" top dog. I think Alcaraz sent a message: "No, I'm #1 and I deserve it."
I heard it more than a few times on Sunday, that the contest was between "the #1 player in the world, and the best player in the world." Alcaraz proved himself to be both, at least for the time being.

I really do think it's like the 2008 Wimbledon final. Had Roger won that match, the world would have moved on in much the same way as if Novak had won: Roger #1, Rafa still chasing, etc. When Rafa won, it was a seismic shift in tennis. And this one feels a bit like that. We don't know what comes next, but I find it hard to believe we won't look back at this Wimbledon and call it a milestone of some kind. Surely it's never going to be "just" another Wimbledon on Novak's resume.

Reactions: El Dude

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

I know it will be Felix. ( I hope he is taking time away to heal his body from those nagging injuries.) All Felix needs to do is to rewatch the 5 setter vs Nadal at RG for inspiration and extra motivation. There's hasn't been a person that the good LORD has created that could have defeated Rafa in that 5set. Remember Felix ONLY had 3 UFEs while Rafa had double digits winners. I'm not as big on Sinner as the rest of you folks. Holger Rune needs more time and experience.

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
I heard it more than a few times on Sunday, that the contest was between "the #1 player in the world, and the best player in the world." Alcaraz proved himself to be both, at least for the time being.

I really do think it's like the 2008 Wimbledon final. Had Roger won that match, the world would have moved on in much the same way as if Novak had won: Roger #1, Rafa still chasing, etc. When Rafa won, it was a seismic shift in tennis. And this one feels a bit like that. We don't know what comes next, but I find it hard to believe we won't look back at this Wimbledon and call it a milestone of some kind. Surely it's never going to be "just" another Wimbledon on Novak's resume.
I'd argue that Novak beating Roger in the 2008 AO was a bigger seismic shift than Rafa beating Roger at Wimbledon that year. All of a sudden, after Novak defeated Roger and won the AO, that group of 2 became 3. Rafa had already arrived by the time we got to 2008 Wimbledon. Although almost all of his slam success was at the FO before then, he already had 4 slams and had beaten Roger in the slam final in 3 of them. Plus, Rafa had taken Roger into 5 sets at Wimbledon in 2007. Even if Rafa didn't beat Roger in the 2008 Wimbledon final, it was only a matter of time before he did it outside of RG (he would do so again at the 2009 AO). In all, the end of Roger's dominance was a gradual process that took place over 3-4 years. Rafa and Novak chipped away at it from 2008 to 2010/11, it was apparent that Roger's dominace was over by the time he lost those back-to-back US Open quarterfinals to Novak.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I know it will be Felix. ( I hope he is taking time away to heal his body from those nagging injuries.) All Felix needs to do is to rewatch the 5 setter vs Nadal at RG for inspiration and extra motivation. There's hasn't been a person that the good LORD has created that could have defeated Rafa in that 5set. Remember Felix ONLY had 3 UFEs while Rafa had double digits winners. I'm not as big on Sinner as the rest of you folks. Holger Rune needs more time and experience.
Well doesn't appears Toni has confidence in his current protege FAA because he didn't mention him ! WOW!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'd argue that Novak beating Roger in the 2008 AO was a bigger seismic shift than Rafa beating Roger at Wimbledon that year. All of a sudden, after Novak defeated Roger and won the AO, that group of 2 became 3. Rafa had already arrived by the time we got to 2008 Wimbledon. Although almost all of his slam success was at the FO before then, he already had 4 slams and had beaten Roger in the slam final in 3 of them. Plus, Rafa had taken Roger into 5 sets at Wimbledon in 2007. Even if Rafa didn't beat Roger in the 2008 Wimbledon final, it was only a matter of time before he did it outside of RG (he would do so again at the 2009 AO). In all, the end of Roger's dominance was a gradual process that took place over 3-4 years. Rafa and Novak chipped away at it from 2008 to 2010/11, it was apparent that Roger's dominace was over by the time he lost those back-to-back US Open quarterfinals to Novak.
I disagree that they became 3 when Novak won the AO that year. Novak was fairly quickly joined by Murray at the #3/4, and they couldn't break that glass ceiling of #2 for 4 years. I take your point that Rafa was already there at #2 for 3 years, but I still think that was the changing of the guard moment. But to each his own.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
If memory servers me correctly , Roger own Novak for a few years longer especially at the US Open until maybe 2011-2012? Someone can look this up.. I still believe the era has to remembered as the big 3 with Andy plus Stan. Meaning Roger, Rafa and Novak with Andy as a threat plus Stan ..IMO

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
BTW, Zverev and Tsitsipas aren't the best names to bring up, because both have significant problems that have prevented them from fulfilling their potential - mostly mental. We could also bring up Daniil Medvedev, who has turned out to be the best of Next Gen and didn't even turn pro until he was 20 or reach the top 10 until he was 23.
Actually I brought them up specifically to point out talented players who *did* show flashes of brilliance early enough and yet that’s no guarantee they will fulfill their promise. Sinner and Felix are not even at that point *yet*. I grant you Felix seems to be going through injury issues, but as with Zverev/Tsitsipas the mental toughness looms even larger with the former two.

Plus both Zverev & Tsitsipas have actually reached a Slam final, and in the context of this discusiion I think winning a Slam is the fulfillment of tennis potential. Between both of them they have won everything ( YE ATP champs, Olympics, Masters) but a slam.

Medvedev brings out an interesting fact, physical age doesnt actually tell the whole story. Starting on the tour at the relative old age of 20, Medvedev reached his first Major final on his 12th attempt, which in tennis terms is not that late.

Compare with a relative prodigy like Lleyton Hewitt, who made his first Slam final at the young age of 20, but interesting enough on his 14th attempt. Granted AO give him wildcard entries early (ages 17/18) on but still. Just turned 21 year old Roddick reached his first slam final on his 12th attempt, same as Medvedev.

So maturing once on the tour usually happens within a certain window, regardless of age.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Actually I brought them up specifically to point out talented players who *did* show flashes of brilliance early enough and yet that’s no guarantee they will fulfill their promise. Sinner and Felix are not even at that point *yet*. I grant you Felix seems to be going through injury issues, but as with Zverev/Tsitsipas the mental toughness looms even larger with the former two.

Plus both Zverev & Tsitsipas have actually reached a Slam final, and in the context of this discusiion I think winning a Slam is the fulfillment of tennis potential. Between both of them they have won everything ( YE ATP champs, Olympics, Masters) but a slam.

Medvedev brings out an interesting fact, physical age doesnt actually tell the whole story. Starting on the tour at the relative old age of 20, Medvedev reached his first Major final on his 12th attempt, which in tennis terms is not that late.

Compare with a relative prodigy like Lleyton Hewitt, who made his first Slam final at the young age of 20, but interesting enough on his 14th attempt. Granted AO give him wildcard entries early (ages 17/18) on but still. Just turned 21 year old Roddick reached his first slam final on his 12th attempt, same as Medvedev.

So maturing once on the tour usually happens within a certain window, regardless of age.
Yes, good point. This got me curious about at what point in terms of Slam participation, different ATGs reached and then won their first final. I broadened a bit to include Vilas, Courier, and Murray.

Player First Slam F/First Slam W
Vilas 10/17
Connors 10/10
Borg 5/5
McEnroe 7/7
Lendl 9/18
Wilander 3/3
Edberg 11/11
Becker 4/4
Agassi 24/24
Courier 10/10
Sampras 8/8
Federer 17/17
Nadal 6/6
Murray 17/28
Djokovic 12/13

So there's quite a range. Most of the 6+ Slam winners won their first within 13, with Roger (17th) and Agassi (24th) being outside that.

And the young guys... (parentheses means they have done it yet, but the number of Slams they've played in):

Medvedev 6/7
Zverev 20/(30)
Tsitsipas 15/(24)
FAA (17)/(17)
Sinner (15)/(15)
Rune (8)/(8)
Alcaraz 8/8

Obviously Rune is still very young, and for him just reaching a final would be an accomplishment. FAA and Sinner are getting up there in Slams played, but they're both still well within the "Agassi Window" of 24.

Zverev and Tsitsipas are outside of that window, though Tsitsipas is still in the "Murray window."

And of course this doesn't look at the 1-3 Slam winners, some of whom won their 1st well before, say, Roger did, and not much after.