Which NFL/College teams do you follow?

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Who are your favourite NFL & College teams.

I'm a Raiders fan in the NFL and favourite college teams are USC and Florida Gators.

Hardly watch college football to be honest and not too much NFL these days apart from a few Raider games every year and some of the playoff games and SuperBowl.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
RE: Who are your team?

Don't really have a favorite. Love the entire NFL season and playoffs. Now, there are a couple of teams I could do w/o. :laydownlaughing

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

All about the Green and Gold. The week is make or break depending on if they win or lose.

I don't care about college that much but am a Wisconsin Badgers fan. Usually will catch a few of their games every year and whatever Bowl game they play.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

^ I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the Packers in the NFC. Particularly when Ron Wolf went there - he was underappreciated at the Raiders until he left. The guy is a legend. Also looked out for Woodson went ended up in Green Bay.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

britbox said:
^ I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the Packers in the NFC. Particularly when Ron Wolf went there - he was underappreciated at the Raiders until he left. The guy is a legend. Also looked out for Woodson went ended up in Green Bay.

Ron Wolf was excellent, he really built the Packers up from nothing in the early-mid 90's. I am bitter at him for one thing though; Mike Holmgren desperately wanted the duo coach/GM role and he bolted to Seattle when Wolf made it clear that it wasn't going to happen. Then all of 2 years later Wolf retired. I bet Holmgren would have stayed if he knew Wolf's plans but egos got in the way. The Packers haven't had a coach as good as Holmgren since he left and they had a couple awful ones.

Woodson had a great few years here. He was the defensive player of the year and was the leader of the great 2010 defense that helped the Packers win the Super Bowl. He was still good through 2012 but naturally he was slipping, he is 37 now.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

DarthFed said:
britbox said:

Ron Wolf was excellent, he really built the Packers up from nothing in the early-mid 90's. I am bitter at him for one thing though; Mike Holmgren desperately wanted the duo coach/GM role and he bolted to Seattle when Wolf made it clear that it wasn't going to happen. Then all of 2 years later Wolf retired. I bet Holmgren would have stayed if he knew Wolf's plans but egos got in the way. The Packers haven't had a coach as good as Holmgren since he left and they had a couple awful ones.

Woodson had a great few years here. He was the defensive player of the year and was the leader of the great 2010 defense that helped the Packers win the Super Bowl. He was still good through 2012 but naturally he was slipping, he is 37 now.

Woodson was a real shutdown corner with the Raiders. I think they franchise tagged him twice... but injuries were killing him and they let him go. He's a natural ballhawk. I was glad to see him come back to Oakland, even at this stage of his career. Obviously slipped from his prime but still a decent safety and still a playmaker.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

DarthFed said:
britbox said:

That's a negative Darth, Mike H was a very good head coach but was lousy as a GM..ask the good folks in Cleveland, if he ever returns to that area , they will have him arrested for all the idiot's moves he made

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

No doubt AP but I'd have lived with that if it meant he stayed as head coach. After Holmgren the Packers went 8-8 with Ray Rhodes and then had clown Mike Sherman for many years. I'm no fan of McCarthy but he is at least better than Sherman and Rhodes.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

College (the important stuff)

Auburn U. Tigers

Pro:

New Orleans Saints
I also like Cam Newton a lot so I follow the panthers a bit.

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions

College: Have been a Notre Dame phan my entire liphe (basketball, too).

N.EPH.L: Was a St. Louis Cardinals phan phrom when I phirst started watching in 1979 until about 1987, when they skipped town. Was a big phan of RB Ottis Anderson. Lost interest in the Cards when they moved to Phoenix. I then became a Filadelfia Eagles/Randall Cunningham phan. Was a phan of theirs phrom about 1987 to 1994, which is when I began to lose interest. Became a Seattle Seahawks/RB Chris Warren phan in 1994 and have stuck with the Seahawks ever since.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Hey Chewy,

I struggle to follow how people can change teams. I'm a cradle to grave supporter. I can understand the feelings when a team relocates but out of interest why did you drop the Eagles and start supporting Seattle?

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions

When I was younger/growing-up, I was more of a phan of certain players than I was of teams, regardless of the sport. Iph there was a player who I really liked (eg. Ottis Anderson, Randall Cunningham, Chris Warren, Julius Erving, Clyde Drexler, Tony Phernandez), then I tended to pull phor him and I learned to like the rest of the team. Once my phavorite player and the core group of players lepht, then I'd lose interest. As I got older, I stopped idolizing players and decided to just pick a team and stick with 'em.

fedfan

Club Member
Reactions
DarthFed said:
All about the Green and Gold. The week is make or break depending on if they win or lose.

I don't care about college that much but am a Wisconsin Badgers fan. Usually will catch a few of their games every year and whatever Bowl game they play.

Obviously not the Rose or other BCS bowl, but paid $5 ea for two from a scalper at the Cap 1 Bowl game. Granted they were crappy seats, but like usual sat on the 50 about 25 rows up. That's the way to do it at these non BCS games...so many empty seats even at midfield. Don't worry, wont mention the score :cool: but will say you guys had one impressive rushing attack.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ I'm surprised there would be empty seats at the Capital One Bowl. It is not BCS but probably the 1st or 2nd biggest non-BCS bowl. That and UW fans usually travel well! The game kind of went as expected this year, just not good enough QB play to beat a solid SEC school. That's always been UW's problem sans the one year they had Russell Wilson.

fedfan

Club Member
Reactions
DarthFed said:
^ I'm surprised there would be empty seats at the Capital One Bowl. It is not BCS but probably the 1st or 2nd biggest non-BCS bowl. That and UW fans usually travel well! The game kind of went as expected this year, just not good enough QB play to beat a solid SEC school. That's always been UW's problem sans the one year they had Russell Wilson.

It is considered the next in line to a BCS bowl, but it's that easy. Granted paying 5 each for an 80 ticket was an absolute fluke(guy with his son had two extra and was basically giving them away) as I was expecting to pay around 60 as I did for this game two years prior(Nebraska). In that case I sat in the actual seats...about the 25, decent lower level. "OK" seats, but could've done better looking back.

Last year at the Outback(Michigan), scalpers wanted a lot for some reason. Ended up going to the ticket booth and bought two upper deck crappy seats but had a plan as I always try to sit well. Told the gf to follow my lead, walked to one of our sections at midfield, prime level, and found about 5 empty ones(this was a few minutes after KO). No one asked us to move similar to the Cap 1 against you guys. There were other clusters of empty ones as well around us. These bowls never come close to selling out. The upper decks are like ghost towns.

Now...if you go to a sold out SEC tilt or I can imagine another hot bed like your Camp Randall, you sit in those seats you bought. But I rarely pay face(although I did pay a little over in Athens Ga this past year) and typically sit between the 30s/good level. The key is waiting right before or a little after KO as YOU now have control of the scalpers. They are there, no matter how big the game. You have to be patient more than anything, conifident and have your eyes on a swivel.

To be honest, I've been going through scalpers for 30 years so it's not a big deal for me as it was the first few times. Two reasons I don't buy them in advance...1)If something comes up I don't have to go through the hassle/time to resale them. 2) Unless 40-50 yders/ideal row come up before at face or below, I much prefer to go through scalpers as you get the best seats for the best price for maybe 5 minutes of work. People say this method is a real hassle, it's not if you know what you're doing. Hell, if I can do it...anyone can.

Edit: Some tennis experiences...

Drove all the way to NY (from SC) to see Fed for the first time(2009) in hoping to get semis and finals tickets. No room, no tickets. Got there Friday, found a room in Queens (lol)...about a $50 room for around 125 if I recall. Did meet Vilas and Gonzales in the lobby one morning which was kind of cool. Road by Ashe stadium to get a lay of the land later that Friday. Was planning to try my luck at the stadium Saturday semis am. If I remember correctly Saturday's semis got rained out and it was pushed to Sunday. Anyway, left my name at the front desk if by chance two came up and sure enough got a call around 8 am(can't remember if it Sat or Sunday). They weren't good(highest level), but jumped on them nonetheless(face) as this was a new market with some "unknowns" and heard rumors they really crack down on scalpers. We moved down a few levels and saw Fed beat Nole in straights highlighted by that famous tweener setting up match point. Being Sunday night and people catching flights, I got two for the finals(Monday) walking out for half price. Crappy upper level jobs, but moved down a level and a half. Unfortunately the match didn't have a pleasant ending as you know(Delpo). That was one long ass drive back!

I went to RG the following year(qtrs., semis, and finals). In this instance I got those in advance as I don't speak French. :snigger

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Was that $50 room for $125 in Queens a Howard Johnson hotel? I went last year with my brother and we stayed in a crap hotel for something like $140/night for the 5 days we were there. Day passes are the way to go unless you are only there to see 1 or 2 players. We had tickets to Arthur Ashe for 2 days, crap seats so we left after the 1st set of Roger's 2nd rounder last year. It was tough to watch from the top deck when we could often sit front 3 rows at every other court except Louie Armstrong (could sit front 3 at Grandstand as well).

I went in 2009 too (first time) and we didn't know better so we just got 2 days of Arthur Ashe (day and night passes). We saw all the big guns on both sides except for Sharapova who had been bounced by Oudin. I saw Roger's 4th rounder against...good old Robredo. 7-5, 6-2, 6-2. What a (sad) difference 4 years made :(

fedfan

Club Member
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Was that $50 room for $125 in Queens a Howard Johnson hotel? I went last year with my brother and we stayed in a crap hotel for something like $140/night for the 5 days we were there. Day passes are the way to go unless you are only there to see 1 or 2 players. We had tickets to Arthur Ashe for 2 days, crap seats so we left after the 1st set of Roger's 2nd rounder last year. It was tough to watch from the top deck when we could often sit front 3 rows at every other court except Louie Armstrong (could sit front 3 at Grandstand as well).

I went in 2009 too (first time) and we didn't know better so we just got 2 days of Arthur Ashe (day and night passes). We saw all the big guns on both sides except for Sharapova who had been bounced by Oudin. I saw Roger's 4th rounder against...good old Robredo. 7-5, 6-2, 6-2. What a (sad) difference 4 years made :(

I want to say it was the Pan American Hotel. Just googled it up and looks like they plan to make a homeless shelter out of it, lol.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
BCS isn't too much different from the old format I think, just made it a computer program. I believe they are starting with playoffs next year or the year after. That is always the way it should be because the BCS system is still subjective based on strength of schedule as well as some teams' ability to run up the score. I think it should be top 6 teams in a playoff starting on or just before January 1st (top 2 get byes).

fedfan

Club Member
Reactions
DarthFed said:
BCS isn't too much different from the old format I think, just made it a computer program. I believe they are starting with playoffs next year or the year after. That is always the way it should be because the BCS system is still subjective based on strength of schedule as well as some teams' ability to run up the score. I think it should be top 6 teams in a playoff starting on or just before January 1st (top 2 get byes).

Yep, going to 4 team playoff this year. It's been a LONG time coming as the college presidents finally realized the cash they left on table outweighed "our student-athletes missing more class time."

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Federberg Other Sports 4
Fiero425 Other Sports 32
J Other Sports 34
britbox Other Sports 365
britbox Other Sports 518