What on Earth is going on in the world today? It's gone mad

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Trump's wife Melania gave the keynote speech tonight, I didn't see it but I heard it was very well received by the attendees at the GOP.

However, twenty minutes later a lot of folks said they heard parts of the speech before. She plagiarized it from The 2008 Democratic convention that Michelle Obama's speech. She took at leads two huge paragraphs if fact at one point she used 22 of 26 words. Trump isn't gonna be too happy.

Yes, but most people attribute the blame to speech writer and not to Melania. She is just an "innocent reader". :laydownlaughing

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Quit looking at the news or Fox News.. Do your own research, you are a smart fella then form your assessment

Oh buddy, when people reply with things like that, it usually makes me regret having read the bit before it. And you know I love your posts and want to read them :hug but we don't need to resort to this in order to have a chat. For example, I could easy paint you with the other brush that says stop drinking from the Democrats Kool-aid. Fact is, we all get our news from "the news" and I doubt I've watched more than an hour of Fox News in my life. Nothing against it! It's just not on basic TV packages in Ireland.

Obama inherited a mess from Bush, and Bush inherited a mess from Clinton, which led to 9-11. This kind of blame game can take years to resolve. I suppose in real terms, Obama is victim of hype. People listened to him and were strangely mesmerised. They even compared his oratory skills with MLK, which is frankly insulting to MLK. Expectations were huge, then as GSM said, he got the Nobel Peace Prize for...what? Being black and elected president? Who knows? But it became a symbol of his terms: he got the prizes but not for anything he delivered. He got to blame the democratically elected congress when he failed. As GSM said, a better man would find a way to cross the floor and deal with Republicans. They were elected to a strong congress for exactly that purpose. The people were shrewd in how they voted.

But anyway, Obama isn't the issue.

I agree about Trump, mainly because the man is loud and divisive and his rhetoric is getting outta hand. But you're missing the appeal of the man: people are sick of Hillary and Jeb and similar careerists mouthing platitudes, empty phrases, lies, and damned lies. American democracy is dead. You get a basic choice between dynasties, and you need to like it or lump it. This is most likely why congress was Republican. The people want something more, not something the same. Now you're getting left-fielders making huge gains. Bernie Sanders, a viable and plausible - and not shady - alternative to the Clinton scam, and Trump, a volatile response to people's anger at the system.

It'll be interesting in November. Is Hillary more qualified? Of course, she's served in the senate and as Secretary of State.

But it's her other "qualifications" that make her unsuited to the office...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I shouldn't say "American democracy is dead", that's too strong. It isn't dead, because it's still expressing the will of the people, despite the system being rigged to favour the elites, but it isn't too healthy, either...

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
the AntiPusher said:
Quit looking at the news or Fox News.. Do your own research, you are a smart fella then form your assessment

Oh buddy, when people reply with things like that, it usually makes me regret having read the bit before it. And you know I love your posts and want to read them :hug but we don't need to resort to this in order to have a chat. For example, I could easy paint you with the other brush that says stop drinking from the Democrats Kool-aid. Fact is, we all get our news from "the news" and I doubt I've watched more than an hour of Fox News in my life. Nothing against it! It's just not on basic TV packages in Ireland.

Obama inherited a mess from Bush, and Bush inherited a mess from Clinton, which led to 9-11. This kind of blame game can take years to resolve. I suppose in real terms, Obama is victim of hype. People listened to him and were strangely mesmerised. They even compared his oratory skills with MLK, which is frankly insulting to MLK. Expectations were huge, then as GSM said, he got the Nobel Peace Prize for...what? Being black and elected president? Who knows? But it became a symbol of his terms: he got the prizes but not for anything he delivered. He got to blame the democratically elected congress when he failed. As GSM said, a better man would find a way to cross the floor and deal with Republicans. They were elected to a strong congress for exactly that purpose. The people were shrewd in how they voted.

I agree about Trump, mainly because the man is loud and divisive and his rhetoric is getting outta hand. But you're missing the appeal of the man: people are sick of Hillary and Jeb and similar careerists mouthing platitudes, empty phrases, lies, and damned lies. American democracy is dead. You get a basic choice between dynasties, and you need to like it or lump it. This is most likely why congress was Republican. The people want something more, not something the same. Now you're getting left-fielders making huge gains. Bernie Sanders, a viable and plausible - and not shady - alternative to the Clinton scam, and Trump, a volatile response to people's anger at the system.

It'll be interesting in November. Is Hillary more qualified? Of course, she's served in the senate and as Secretary of State.

Same here.. I have the highest respect for your posts.
When I wrote the Fox News statement I didn't mean it that way. When I speak about America's politics to my comrades over seas, they have gather their thoughts from mostly watching Fox News... I didn't mean any disrespect .. I apologize I could have wrote my words differently ..

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
No need for an apology, brother, there's no offence given, or taken. :)

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
the AntiPusher said:

Well put Kieran.

I usually don't get too involved, as I don't like either party. They claim to be different but support the same wars, businesses, etc.

I am starting to feel like I am going to have to vote this election though. While I can't stand Clinton, and empathize with the Trump impulse of shaking things up. I think I would rather have a standard crooked politician over a former reality tv star/ open bigot.

I am curious what you think the image of America would be in the rest of the world if we elected trump. Is it as bad as I can imagine? Trump winning would just be embarrassing...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
I am curious what you think the image of America would be in the rest of the world if we elected trump. Is it as bad as I can imagine? Trump winning would just be embarrassing...

You know yourself, when we don't live in a country, we have a more superficial understanding of things, based upon the fact that we don't meet policies on the ground, as such. I know a lot of people, for example, think of Boris Johnson as a buffoon, a clown, a jester, but don't see him as he actually is, which is probably the most clever man in the room, an immense intellect, formidable historian, and quite a useful politician too. Trump gets stereotyped by people who haven't even bothered to listen to what he's saying. They just hear the loud soundbites, and the boys in the press fill in the rest.

In this sense, I agree with A-P, when he says, don't judge Hillary based upon what Fox News states. Likewise, the liberal press make more of Trump's missus plagiarising a speech (something both Obama and Biden have done) than they do of Hillary dumping 3000 classified emails into her electronic thrash can.

So if Trump was elected, the reaction might something akin to my liberal cousin in Canada who woke up on the day of Brexit and declared to the waiting masses on Facebook that "this is what it was like when the nazis came to power." :laydownlaughing

Exaggeration reigns, in party politics. When there's vested interests involved, it's a one-way street. But Trump is stinky. He's fishy, and he's dangerous. So if he's elected President it'll cause shockwaves around the world, and hopefully it'll make Americans question their system, that it's reached a point where this could happen.

I still think of the whole Trump thing as a huge protest vote against the system. Is there any merit in this kind of thinking, or am I missing the big picture?

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
Riotbeard said:

You know yourself, when we don't live in a country, we have a more superficial understanding of things, based upon the fact that we don't meet policies on the ground, as such. I know a lot of people, for example, think of Boris Johnson as a buffoon, a clown, a jester, but don't see him as he actually is, which is probably the most clever man in the room, an immense intellect, formidable historian, and quite a useful politician too. Trump gets stereotyped by people who haven't even bothered to listen to what he's saying. They just hear the loud soundbites, and the boys in the press fill in the rest.

In this sense, I agree with A-P, when he says, don't judge Hillary based upon what Fox News states. Likewise, the liberal press make more of Trump's missus plagiarising a speech (something both Obama and Biden have done) than they do of Hillary dumping 3000 classified emails into her electronic thrash can.

So if Trump was elected, the reaction might something akin to my liberal cousin in Canada who woke up on the day of Brexit and declared to the waiting masses on Facebook that "this is what it was like when the nazis came to power." :laydownlaughing

Exaggeration reigns, in party politics. When there's vested interests involved, it's a one-way street. But Trump is stinky. He's fishy, and he's dangerous. So if he's elected President it'll cause shockwaves around the world, and hopefully it'll make Americans question their system, that it's reached a point where this could happen.

I still think of the whole Trump thing as a huge protest vote against the system. Is there any merit in this kind of thinking, or am I missing the big picture?

I think Trump is a lot of things. I think for some it is anti-establishment vote, for others its isolationism and anti-immigrant prejudice. So, I don't buy the if you support trump you are a racist, but certainly some are.

My feelings on Trump are that I like some of the things he says. He left of the democrats on some industrial labor issues, which I like. However, I just don't buy that the billionaire is actually a populist and will rule as such. I kind of expect that it's mostly a swindle (which is true of almost every politician).

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
Kieran said:
Riotbeard said:

I think Trump is a lot of things. I think for some it is anti-establishment vote, for others its isolationism and anti-immigrant prejudice. So, I don't buy the if you support trump you are a racist, but certainly some are.

My feelings on Trump are that I like some of the things he says. He left of the democrats on some industrial labor issues, which I like. However, I just don't buy that the billionaire is actually a populist and will rule as such. I kind of expect that it's mostly a swindle (which is true of almost every politician).

Riotbeard I understand your points however to be politically motivated by praying on the fears of a historically divided country using bigotry as your main platform is totally unacceptable(Trump). I think what Cruz did yesterday could have been political suicide but I respect that he wasn't a pussy to cave in afterwards all the talk against his wife , his father and Cruz character which isn't the BEST that Trump did. Trump and his family truly believe that the majority of voters are ignorant , stupid and lazy. Well , we will all see how this plays out in early November.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
No, I think what Cruz did is wrong, even though I am no fan of Trump. Cruz should have stayed out of the convention if he did not want to play along (like the Bushes, Kasich etc) instead of spoiling Trump's party.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
No, I think what Cruz did is wrong, even though I am no fan of Trump. Cruz should have stayed out of the convention if he did not want to play along (like the Bushes, Kasich etc) instead of spoiling Trump's party.

Trump didn't say that the Bushes or Kasich women were ugly, he didn't say that the Bushes or Kasich were not legal citizens, he didn't say that the Bushes or Kasich fathers was part of the assignation of JFK, he didn't say that the Bushes or Kasich women had "secret pasts' , he didn't imply that Kasich or Bushes men had extra marrital affairs.. Cruz said it was personal and Trump shouldn't have invite Cruz to speak and was a complete idiot if he thought Cruz was going to come there to kiss his ring.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Trump didn't say that the Bushes or Kasich women were ugly, he didn't say that the Bushes or Kasich were not legal citizens, he didn't say that the Bushes or Kasich fathers was part of the assignation of JFK, he didn't say that the Bushes or Kasich women had "secret pasts' , he didn't imply that Kasich or Bushes men had extra marrital affairs.. Cruz said it was personal and Trump shouldn't have invite Cruz to speak and was a complete idiot if he thought Cruz was going to come there to kiss his ring.

I watched Cruz's full speech again. He never said anything negative about Trump at any point of time.
He congratulated Trump on winning the nomination, went on about a general speech about freedom and asked people to vote for their conscience. I don't find that to be wrong anymore.

Apparently, the full speech was given to convention organizers a few hours before and he has even told them that he will not endorse Trump long time ago. Finally, I guess if Trump and convention organizers wanted to not let him speak, they could have done so. So, they cannot blame it on anybody.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Any thoughts on Trump's speech .. I thought is was disgusting, disturbing and despicable.However, I wasn't surprised, it was the only type of speech he was capable of delivering. It was all about him. I liken it to watching Senator Palpatine aka the Emperor(Star Wars) , a pure invitation into the "Dark Side".

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Trump's speech was

1. way too long.
2. projects a very bad picture of current state, than it really is.
3. offers lots of promises as usual without any specifics.
4. he was slightly more presidential refraining from using "crooked" and "lock her up" etc.

However, according to pollsters it was well received by those who watched the speech (although most are likely to be republicans).

I would not be surprised if Trump actually got elected though, the way things are going.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Trump's speech was

1. way too long.
4. he was slightly more presidential refraining from using "crooked" and "lock her up" etc.

However, according to pollsters it was well received by those who watched the speech (although most are likely to be republicans).

I would not be surprised if Trump actually got elected though, the way things are going.

I would be surprised if he won.. He has way too many negatives to be president. I think he is going to loose worst than Mitt.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I suppose the big news this week, if we were to hold our noses and wipe our tears and ignore the actual and symbolic actions of ISIS in France, is that the USA has its second woman ever to run for President, after Victoria Woodhull, in 1872.

Now, look at the story of Woodhull, and you can't help but find her a fascinating person, begging to have a Hollywood film made of her, with a cast of characters that come straight from fiction, but are real. She's a real deal kind of woman, in the sense that you can actually say she believed what she said, it seems, and that just from a casual trawl through her wiki page. A pioneer, brave and neglected by history. The contrast with the slippery, deceitful Hillary couldn't be larger. But Hillary is getting the headlines, doing photo ops with people we'd more easy believe detest her - like the President, and her own husband. But that's politics, in the modern era. We're in for a bumpy ride. The candidates could be written off as "America's Problem" if it wasn't for the fact that whoever wins, we all most likely lose...

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
I suppose the big news this week, if we were to hold our noses and wipe our tears and ignore the actual and symbolic actions of ISIS in France, is that the USA has its second woman ever to run for President, after Victoria Woodhull, in 1872.

Now, look at the story of Woodhull, and you can't help but find her a fascinating person, begging to have a Hollywood film made of her, with a cast of characters that come straight from fiction, but are real. She's a real deal kind of woman, in the sense that you can actually say she believed what she said, it seems, and that just from a casual trawl through her wiki page. A pioneer, brave and neglected by history. The contrast with the slippery, deceitful Hillary couldn't be larger. But Hillary is getting the headlines, doing photo ops with people we'd more easy believe detest her - like the President, and her own husband. But that's politics, in the modern era. We're in for a bumpy ride. The candidates could be written off as "America's Problem" if it wasn't for the fact that whoever wins, we all most likely lose...

Hey brotha if you asked most blokes over here the Donald is a bit of a feminine acting punk ..we don't consider him a Real man

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Trump's speech was

1. way too long.

I would be surprised if he won.. He has way too many negatives to be president. I think he is going to loose worst than Mitt.

As per the current polls, it is still neck and neck. We have the Liberterian Party and Green Party candidates. Things may come down to whether they are cutting into Hillary's share or Trump's share.

On the other hand, given that both campaigns are projecting this election as an existential issue, it is quite conceivable that nobody would vote for Liberterian Party or Green Party candidates. However, people may sit out.

So, the real question would come down to whether people who hate both the candidates would actually come out to vote and if so to whom they will vote.

37% of people think of Hillary favorably and 58% have unfavorable impression of her. Guess what, Trump's numbers are identical.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
In the new poll, that includes the convention bounces, Clinton leads Trump 43% to 40% with 17% of voters still undecided.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I wonder how the polls are now, after Hillary fainted, stumbled and was dragged out of a 9/11 memorial? She can't even be straight about that, her press office has been slow and indecisive about what to tell the public. Is she addicted to secrecy?

Or cover-ups?