What on Earth is going on in the world today? It's gone mad

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
A military coup in Turkey. What do you make of this, Murat?

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
A small group who were not happy with the status quo attempted it. It failed, soldiers involved are arrested. As if any other distractions were necessary! The government is in place though. Like it or not, %50 of the Turkish people voted for this government.

What a mess though...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
What you think is behind this, Murat? Who are the rebels? And what do you think of Erdogan?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Apparently, some Turkish guy sitting in Pennsylvania is calling the shots (of the coup).

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Apparently, some Turkish guy sitting in Pennsylvania is calling the shots (of the coup).

I hear that the Turks may want the US government to give him up and back to them. Interesting

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Kieran said:
What you think is behind this, Murat? Who are the rebels? And what do you think of Erdogan?

The position of military in Turkey has always been different from most countries, in that ever since Ataturk, the military sees itself as the guardian of the democracy in the country. Weird concept, I know, but it is what it is.

So, a small part of the military thought Erdogan and its party has gone too far right and wanted to take matters into their own hands. It was not something that happened within the chain of commend . There are lots of theories as to the timing (most of the military folks involved were going to be let go soon) and why it looked weak. I think it was planned well but they had to change the date and attempt the coup earlier than they wanted and it did not happen.

Erdogan is the Putin of Turkey. He loves power, loves using it. But see, the Turkish people are smart...last election, they did not give his party the majority. Even though they love him, they did not want him to get so much power. They forced him to a coalition but the main problem in Turkey, the lame and weak opposition parties, failed to establish a coalition, so the country went to another election and this time Erdogans party got the majority.

Turkey's main problem is the opposition, more than Erdogan. They are so weak and lame that people feel like they have no choice. They want to give them a chance and they did, but the opposition botched it again.

The Gulen character in the USA has been attempting to destabilize the country for a decade and he has a far reach and millions of followers. I am not sure how much he was involved in the latest attempt but he was.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Interesting stuff, thanks for that, buddy! I heard only shady stuff about Erdogan, but he's there by the democratic will of the people, so as you say, come up with something better, or he stays!

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Kieran said:
Interesting stuff, thanks for that, buddy! I heard only shady stuff about Erdogan, but he's there by the democratic will of the people, so as you say, come up with something better, or he stays!

Most people including me really hate the guy, especially his social policies, but people are scared to death about instability and their jobs, and like it or not, this guy has been good for the economy. So people are grinding their teeth, hating the guy and yet going to vote for him because the alternative is so weak and clueless that this is your only choice...Of course he has his %25-30 of die-hard followers that will vote for him no matter what.

It is like having to choose between Trump and Hillary...sad choices all around.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:

That is the argument for the supremacy of democracy as well. :)

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Kieran said:

Most people including me really hate the guy, especially his social policies, but people are scared to death about instability and their jobs, and like it or not, this guy has been good for the economy. So people are grinding their teeth, hating the guy and yet going to vote for him because the alternative is so weak and clueless that this is your only choice...Of course he has his %25-30 of die-hard followers that will vote for him no matter what.

It is like having to choose between Trump and Hillary...sad choices all around.

My political and business sources mention on numerous occasions that Trump is truly an utter ignoramus. Not only does he still doesn't have legitimate economic or military plans. Elliot Spitzer said his father said Trump isn't a good business man and he has over stated his wealth. Also, Trump doesn't read books.Yes, Hilary isn't a mother Theresa but she is at least qualified and have the intelligent to be President. Big difference between those two candidates. I think Trump is gonna scare the American people about what mistakes he could do, very similar to when Palin was campaigning with McCain as the potential GOP vice presidential candidate

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
You like Hillary, A-P? You think she lied about the classified emails? It seems she did. That's kind of a biggie, no?

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
You like Hillary, A-P? You think she lied about the classified emails? It seems she did. That's kind of a biggie, no?

Kieran, I am not a huge Hilary fan but she is qualified. The whole email scandal was for lack of a better word, some GOP "trumped up charge". There was evidence of other politicians who had issues with emails. No top secret emails were intercepted by hackers or stolen. It was all about not following the top secret protocol which Hilary didn't follow to the letter of the law but it's was much to do about nothing. Kieran, I have school age kids and I am really concerned about their future. We all know who and what Trump is.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Kieran said:

Kieran, I am not a huge Hilary fan but she is qualified. The whole email scandal was for lack of a better word, some GOP "trumped up charge". There was evidence of other politicians who had issues with emails. No top secret emails were intercepted by hackers or stolen. It was all about not following the top secret protocol which Hilary didn't follow to the letter of the law but it's was much to do about nothing. Kieran, I have school age kids and I am really concerned about their future. We all know who and what Trump is.

I understand what you're saying about Trump, buddy, but sticking with Hillary for the minute, it's not "trumped up" - she put classified stuff at risk by using her own private servers. The FBI director even said if it was anyone else, there'd be serious questions about them keeping their job. Imagine then, she's running for president. Commander in chief. The fact that no mails were intercepted is neither here nor there. It's kinda like saying she left addresses of secret agents lying about but nobody picked them up, so she didn't really do anything wrong.

She did, then she lied about it. She's shady, bro...

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
the AntiPusher said:
Kieran said:

I understand what you're saying about Trump, buddy, but sticking with Hillary for the minute, it's not "trumped up" - she put classified stuff at risk by using her own private servers. The FBI director even said if it was anyone else, there'd be serious questions about them keeping their job. Imagine then, she's running for president. Commander in chief. The fact that no mails were intercepted is neither here nor there. It's kinda like saying she left addresses of secret agents lying about but nobody picked them up, so she didn't really do anything wrong.

She did, then she lied about it. She's shady, bro...

Kieran, the FBI Director would have put an indictment against her if he had credible evidence. However, that jackass was just suppose to say that he didn't find anything to charge her with not to air out his opinions of her so called email dirty laundary. What he did was plant the seed in the court of public opinion that she was careless. Who does that? Look what the DOJ said, they stood by the FBI assessment and said it was a close case in their jurisdiction. As for lying, do you trust Trump..that's clown is a huge asshole. Politicians lie all the time, they have been doing it since Roman times. As for a commander in chief, I want someone who is calm when there my be chaos in the world domestically and foreign. I don't want a racist bigot who plays on the fears of recent terrorist tradegies to get someone to vote for him. Kieran you may know about foreign policy than Trump and you may not be American. As for shady, we lived thru 8 years of Chency/Bush .. Bush wasn't running the Whitehouse, it was always that evil sonabitch Dick C.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
No buddy, I'm not recommending to you The Donald - although Trump was loved by the Democrats when he was greasing their palms. I'm saying, Hillary is shady, uninspired, in league with big business, has lied about virtually everything important and is the second act in an ugly power grab by two of the most nasty characters we've seen in politics in modern times.

The first act being her husband.

I agree with your initial assessment where you say you're not a big fan of hers, and I think that American politics is in a shameful and dangerous state right now. You've come through 8 years of Bill, followed by Bush, followed by 8 years of empty suit rhetoric, with the current bloke. Then the GOP put forward a bunch of nondescript blokes who sounded like they were reading off the "What Not To Say If You Want To Be Elected" list. Bernie and Trump are classic protest votes, an example of how jaded things become when all the choice you have is between two mirror-image careerist politicians. It's not really a democracy. It's stuck right now, and I'd be more fearful of what comes after Trump as the next protest figure. But between Trump and Clinton, it's like being between the devil and the deep blue sea...

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
No buddy, I'm not recommending to you The Donald - although Trump was loved by the Democrats when he was greasing their palms. I'm saying, Hillary is shady, uninspired, in league with big business, has lied about virtually everything important and is the second act in an ugly power grab by two of the most nasty characters we've seen in politics in modern times.

I agree with your initial assessment where you say you're not a big fan of hers, and I think that American politics is in a shameful and dangerous state right now. You've come through 8 years of Bill, followed by Bush, followed by 8 years of empty suit rhetoric, with the current bloke. Then the GOP put forward a bunch of nondescript blokes who sounded like they were reading off the "What Not To Say If You Want To Be Elected" list. Bernie and Trump are classic protest votes, an example of how jaded things become when all the choice you have is between two mirror-image careerist politicians. It's not really a democracy. It's stuck right now, and I'd be more fearful of what comes after Trump as the next protest figure. But between Trump and Clinton, it's like being between the devil and the deep blue sea...
Well, we can disagree.. Look up the recession economics numbers of 2006-2008.. Pay very close attention to the housing, financial(banking) and unemployment numbers,, now look at those numbers now..remember the way things work here in the US, the president needs to have approval (majority) House of Representatives and the US Senate to pass his policies or bills which he had to work with a pro GOP.. You think this Man has done nothing.. Oh contra' my friend.. I totally disagree.. Bush & The Dick C ran this country into a huge financial debt.. Quit looking at the news or Fox News.. Do your own research, you are a smart fella then form your assessment

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Kieran said:

Well, we can disagree.. Look up the recession economics numbers of 2006-2008.. Pay very close attention to the housing, financial(banking) and unemployment numbers,, now look at those numbers now..remember the way things work here in the US, the president needs to have approval (majority) House of Representatives and the US Senate to pass his policies or bills which he had to work with a pro GOP.. You think this Man has done nothing.. Oh contra' my friend.. I totally disagree.. Bush & The Dick C ran this country into a huge financial debt.. Quit looking at the news or Fox News.. Do your own research, you are a smart fella then form your assessment

Surely, the economy improved under Obama. But, then it was in such a bad shape that it would have improved under anybody

Obama was so great as a campaigner and speaker. However, he could not deliver as the president. Sure, he cannot pass the bills without congress an senate supporting it. But, he needed to try to sell ideas and get things done. He was so poor in getting his way through them compared to other presidents who also did not have the support of congress and senate.

The handling of ISIS by Obama is certainly terrible. Many times the government even openly said that they don't have a structured plan of action on ISIS. Meanwhile, Philosopher Obama gives talk saying ISIS is not an existential threat to America.

Part of it has got to do with Obama receiving Nobel Prize in the first week after taking office. That Nobel Prize award was hugely political. It is not even clear whether Obama can keep peace in his home between Sasha and Milia. He was given such a huge prize with no credentials. That kind of tempered all his actions against ISIS I think.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes, the choice between Hillary and Trump is terrible. Both of them have more folks opposing them than supporting them.

Having said that, Hillary is definitely more qualified for the job than Donald. That is a no brainer.
Is Hillary Shady and Power Hungry? You bet she is. But, I would rather take a shady qualified person than a total idiot that you don't even know what he will do if he gets in power.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
the AntiPusher said:
Kieran said:

Surely, the economy improved under Obama. But, then it was in such a bad shape that it would have improved under anybody

Obama was so great as a campaigner and speaker. However, he could not deliver as the president. Sure, he cannot pass the bills without congress an senate supporting it. But, he needed to try to sell ideas and get things done. He was so poor in getting his way through them compared to other presidents who also did not have the support of congress and senate.

The handling of ISIS by Obama is certainly terrible. Many times the government even openly said that they don't have a structured plan of action on ISIS. Meanwhile, Philosopher Obama gives talk saying ISIS is not an existential threat to America.

Part of it has got to do with Obama receiving Nobel Prize in the first week after taking office. That Nobel Prize award was hugely political. It is not even clear whether Obama can keep peace in his home between Sasha and Milia. He was given such a huge prize with no credentials. That kind of tempered all his actions against ISIS I think.

Did you forget about Bin Laden and Khadfi, Obama disposed of both of them. Wouldn't you agree Bin Laden and Al-Qaeda was the primary threat to worldwide security when his first term of his administration began. Again You speak as if Obama was gonna be the Second Coming when he was a MAN that inherited a lot of GOP shit that he needed to handle. Again You really need to have a perfect understanding of the American political parties and their governance polices to be able to properly critique his two administration s, IMO

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Trump's wife Melania gave the keynote speech tonight, I didn't see it but I heard it was very well received by the attendees at the GOP.

However, twenty minutes later a lot of folks said they heard parts of the speech before. She plagiarized it from The 2008 Democratic convention that Michelle Obama's speech. She took at leads two huge paragraphs if fact at one point she used 22 of 26 words. Trump isn't gonna be too happy.