What on Earth is going on in the world today? It's gone mad

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
nehmeth said:
By the way, my condolences on the election of Trudeau. :cover

Dude...Talk about right place at the right time. The other end of spectrum from Trump, but same idea. People just voted AGAINST Harper, as opposed to FOR Trudeau, and his name just did the rest. The guy has zero substance and we are screwed as well....Where can we go?:huh:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Where can we go?:huh:

Well you can head to America before Canada builds the wall to keep the yanks out... :snicker

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1972Murat said:
nehmeth said:

Dude...Talk about right place at the right time. The other end of spectrum from Trump, but same idea. People just voted AGAINST Harper, as opposed to FOR Trudeau, and his name just did the rest. The guy has zero substance and we are screwed as well....Where can we go?:huh:

New Zealand? Nice weather, beautiful country, and Mastoor is there! :snicker

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
nehmeth said:
1972Murat said:
nehmeth said:

New Zealand? Nice weather, beautiful country, and Mastoor is there! :snicker
Sign me up. Maybe Cali will be there too...:snicker

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
nehmeth said:
GameSetAndMath said:
nehmeth said:
Um, no.

https://news.vice.com/article/no-canadas-immigration-website-isnt-being-bogged-down-by-americans-fleeing-trump

May be so. But, your article supports the underlying idea by mentioning google searches peaking about how to move to Canada.

Yeah, but the Google searches were mostly based in Mexico. With the "wall" coming they need another place to move. :snicker

Sorry, I beg to differ. Wall climbers will not be interested in checking the immigration rules from official web site. They would not be bothered by the rules. I contend the high amount of searches must have come from US only.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
nehmeth said:
1972Murat said:
There are bunch of problems with the above letter but let's say we take all of it as correct.

Murat, you must have missed my opening comments. The letter was to explain a common feeling within the middle class - Republican and Democrat. It has nothing to do with whether Trump is the right guy or if the general sentiment is correct, just that it's there. The people haven't been heard by the establishment, so when some guy steps up and says he's hearing them, well that opens the door for someone like - the Donald.

Nehmeth, I totally get the feeling of frustration. I am frustrated too, for years, not being able to find someone to vote for. My issue is why is that sentiment leading to a guy like Trump? His only qualification is that he does not talk like a politician. There is no guarantee he can do any of the things he is talking about and in that sense he is a typical politician, but people still believe him. There is no standard for him. Anyone else says the things Donald says, he is kicked out of the country! He has zero substance.
So , as much as I agree with the sentiment, I don't know why it leads to a divisive, racist , misogynistic phony. Talking straight should not be the only standard to vote for a president.

Because there are a lot racist and xenophobic misogynists in America, so trump plays to that group (I don't think this is a majority of the country, but it's definitely tens of millions of people). I feel like trump is a symptom of the utter bankruptcy of American politics. In order to avoid politicians sucking off the teats of corporations and billionaires, let's elect a billionaire! As if he really shares the interests of the average American. He doesn't have to rely on huge corporate donations because he is one of those people already.

I think the one thing trump has to fear is saying such awful things that he forces non-voters like myself to vote for somebody terrible like Clinton to prevent a demagogue from getting elected. Bernie is the only guy running who I would actively vote for and Trump is probably the only person who would get me off the couch to vote against. I am not lazy, I just don't see a big difference between the mainstream of either party.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'm genuinely concerned about what is happening in the States. This is the worst choices for President I have ever seen. No one appeals to me but if I hd to, I would go Bernie, if not Cruz, if not Hillary...if not then I'm applying for Japanese citizenship. I'm not kidding. Trump's policies for international relations with countries like Japan and Korea are downright scary and could lead Japan and the rest of the world on a path America will never recover from. The atmosphere of anger, self-righteousness, isolation and racism that is permeating in the States makes me afraid for my kids. At least I don't live in the States anymore and have zero intention of ever going back. This November is going to decide a while lot of things for the future.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the American voter stuck between a rock a hard place, if the choice is Trump v Clinton. A possible upside of a Trump victory is that it'll shake up the establishment, while bureaucrats and the system will also shake up Trump, leading to a toning down of his rhetorical excesses. There's no upside of a Clinton election: she is the establishment and no matter how often she fails, she just gets regurgitated back out at us...

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Kieran said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the American voter stuck between a rock a hard place, if the choice is Trump v Clinton. A possible upside of a Trump victory is that it'll shake up the establishment, while bureaucrats and the system will also shake up Trump, leading to a toning down of his rhetorical excesses. There's no upside of a Clinton election: she is the establishment and no matter how often she fails, she just gets regurgitated back out at us...

This would never happen. Toning down is anathema to Trump. His getting elected would be the equivalent of shutting down the government. The concept of negotiation -- a fundamental aspect of governing, regardless of appearances to the contrary -- would disappear entirely.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
Kieran said:

This would never happen. Toning down is anathema to Trump. His getting elected would be the equivalent of shutting down the government. The concept of negotiation -- a fundamental aspect of governing, regardless of appearances to the contrary -- would disappear entirely.

Then that might lead to another scenario I've been wondering about: could a Trump presidency lead the US republic into a constitutional crisis, where the commander-in-chief is deemed unfit to lead? Seriously. If he doesn't dial it back a bit, there's only one direction he's headed, and that's into bigger conflicts...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
Kieran said:

I am not Trump supporter, but there will be more negotiations in Trump Government than in Mr. Ted, my way or high way, Cruz Government.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Kieran said:
tented said:
Kieran said:

Then that might lead to another scenario I've been wondering about: could a Trump presidency lead the US republic into a constitutional crisis, where the commander-in-chief is deemed unfit to lead? Seriously.

It's an interesting question. Section 4 of the 25th amendment to the US Constitution states:

"Section 4. Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office. Thereupon Congress shall decide the issue, assembling within forty-eight hours for that purpose if not in session. If the Congress, within twenty-one days after receipt of the latter written declaration, or, if Congress is not in session, within twenty-one days after Congress is required to assemble, determines by two-thirds vote of both Houses that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall continue to discharge the same as Acting President; otherwise, the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office."

However:

"Section 4 is the only part of the amendment that has never been invoked. It allows the Vice President, together with a majority of either "the principal officers of the executive departments" (i.e., the Cabinet) or of "such other body as Congress may by law provide", to declare the President disabled by submitting a written declaration to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives. As with Section 3, the Vice President would become Acting President.

Section 4 is meant to be invoked if the President's incapacitation prevents him from discharging the duties of his office and he does not provide a written declaration to that effect. The President may resume exercising the Presidential duties by sending a written declaration to the President pro tempore and the Speaker of the House.

Should the Vice President and Cabinet believe the President is still disabled, they may within four days of the President's declaration submit another declaration that the President is incapacitated. The Congress must then assemble within 48 hours if not in session. The Congress then has 21 days to decide the issue. If within the 21 days allotted two-thirds of each House of Congress vote that the President is incapacitated, Section 4 states that the Vice President would "continue" to be Acting President. Should the Congress resolve the issue in favor of the President, or if the Congress makes no decision within the 21 days allotted, then the President would "resume" discharging all of the powers and duties of his office. The use of the words "continue" and "resume" imply that the Vice President remains Acting President while Congress deliberates.

However, the President may again submit a written declaration of recovery to the President pro tempore and the Speaker of the House. That declaration could be responded to by the Acting President and the Cabinet in the same way as stated earlier. The allotted 21-day Congressional procedure would start again."

In short, it would be a disaster. Or it would be precisely what would be needed to get Trump to go completely insane, thus permanently removed.

Of course, then the question would become: Who would be President? There are plenty of examples, even in the recent past, of VPs being worse than the President, in one way (Dan Quayle) or another (Cheney).

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:

The only upside to a clinton election is when it is against someone like Trump, where the terrible corrupt establishment might be better than what he may bring. It's role of the dice either way. Who knows maybe trump is a Huey Long type, blustering and somewhat fascistic but with more benevolent intentions than his opponents. He is tapping into a dangerous set of emotions in people, that make it potentially unpleasant to live here.

The thing we know about Hillary is virtually nothing will change from now. Maybe a slight shift to right from Obama (but overall they are very similar), and that's about it. Don't get me wrong, I really cannot stand Hillary Clinton, but Trump could be catastrophic.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
The thing we know about Hillary is virtually nothing will change from now. Maybe a slight shift to right from Obama (but overall they are very similar), and that's about it. Don't get me wrong, I really cannot stand Hillary Clinton, but Trump could be catastrophic.

This is the predicament. I kinda followed the last few presidential elections and was disappointed with the candidates from all sides, but the Republicans seem to be on a roll with regards to putting up candidates who say the wrong thing and just don't seem to understand the "Politic" part of the art of politics. The Democrats have put forward another Clinton (shorthand for crooked, shady and deceitful), and Bernie Sanders, who I know very little about. God bless America indeed, as GSM says, but also God Bless the (relatively) Free World, which depends on America, rightly or wrongly. There's been unsteady hands on the rudder for a long time now... :nono

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
Riotbeard said:

This is the predicament. I kinda followed the last few presidential elections and was disappointed with the candidates from all sides, but the Republicans seem to be on a roll with regards to putting up candidates who say the wrong thing and just don't seem to understand the "Politic" part of the art of politics. The Democrats have put forward another Clinton (shorthand for crooked, shady and deceitful), and Bernie Sanders, who I know very little about. God bless America indeed, as GSM says, but also God Bless the (relatively) Free World, which depends on America, rightly or wrongly. There's been unsteady hands on the rudder for a long time now... :nono

Bernie is a real deal European style social democrat. Radical here, moderate to liberal in Europe. One thing trump (and Bernie) present to the working class is a strong critique of the free trade agreements that have killed industrial labor in this country. So while I stand by that trump feeds into a lot of unpleasant parts of American working class culture, he also one of two candidates who actually critiques the clinton policies (continued by republicans and democrats) that have killed middle class labor jobs.

I like Bernie, but his election is a serious long shot (although not impossible). I think the other republicans are worse on most things, just trumps rhetoric and style is well off-puting.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I can't wait to see what the Republicans do at the convention. Will they actually try to deny Trump the nomination, even though he's winning a majority of the delegates?

And even if they do that -- which could cause riots, and make the '68 Democratic convention look like a tea party -- who will they nominate? The Republican bigwigs also hate Cruz, but he's No. 2 right now. And they must know Cruz would never win a general election, regardless of the Democratic nominee.