What Elo stats don't tell us: Why has Djokovic failed to win a slam without dropping a set?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Federer did it both on hardcourt and grass which are also Djokovic's 2 best surfaces, and they both face pretty much the same competition. Please don't fall for @El Dude 's desperate excuses, you are better than that.
I'm not under-informed and I'll debate as I please, thank you.

PS: Weren't you going to look up how many sets Djokovic lost in his various Majors? I mean, someone should, and you are the OP.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm not under-informed and I'll debate as I please, thank you.

PS: Weren't you going to look up how many sets Djokovic lost in his various Majors? I mean, someone should, and you are the OP.

I never said that I was going to look up anything, also it doesn't matter "how many" sets he lost in various majors. The point is that the absolute pinnacle in tennis are the slams, and for someone like Djokovic who is supposed to be "the best of all time" and the player with the "highest level" to not be able to do it once without dropping a set is an argument that he may find a way to win but that he isn't as invincible as some of his fans make him out to be and that he can always be challenged. Nadal doing it 4 times, Borg 3 times and Federer 2 times show that at the peak of their powers they can literally breeze past the competition without resistance. That's what high level and best of all time should be about.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
OK, you lazy bastards, this is how long this took: 2008 AO, his first Major, he dropped one set, in the final, to Tsonga, winning 4-6. 6-4, 6-3, 7-6(2). (This included beating Roger in straights.) That leaves 21 more to look into, and anyone want to bet how many others he won only dropping one set? I'm going to guess 5. Anyone else have a guess?

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
OK, you lazy bastards, this is how long this took: 2008 AO, his first Major, he dropped one set, in the final, to Tsonga, winning 4-6. 6-4, 6-3, 7-6(2). (This included beating Roger in straights.) That leaves 21 more to look into, and anyone want to bet how many others he won only dropping one set? I'm going to guess 5. Anyone else have a guess?

It doesn’t matter as losing a set is not breezing, or best of all time or highest level.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I never said that I was going to look up anything, also it doesn't matter "how many" sets he lost in various majors. The point is that the absolute pinnacle in tennis are the slams, and for someone like Djokovic who is supposed to be "the best of all time" and the player with the "highest level" to not be able to do it once without dropping a set is an argument that he may find a way to win but that he isn't as invincible as some of his fans make him out to be and that he can always be challenged. Nadal doing it 4 times, Borg 3 times and Federer 2 times show that at the peak of their powers they can literally breeze past the competition without resistance. That's what high level and best of all time should be about.
Nah, I was just razzing you, because I was trying to get someone to do the homework. (As you see above, he only lost 1 set in his first Major win. THAT took 3 seconds to look up.)

As you can see, I have been in your corner in being interested in this point. I do agree that there is something to be said for winning a Major without dropping a set. But only dropping one is not that much different, I have to say.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It doesn’t matter as losing a set is not breezing, or best of all time or highest level.
Even NOT dropping a set is not breezing though, but I get your point. Nadal won his first USO, and the Career GS in 2010. He only dropped 1 set, and that in the final, to Djokovic. Everything about that achievement was epic, however, it could have been better, but for that one set. Winning a Major without dropping a set is a big deal. I'm with you on that.

Reactions: Nadalfan2013

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Djokovic is 89-8 at the Australian Open and not 92-8. You pretend that you are neutral but you clearly are a Djokovic fanboy. Clearly we can't trust you with all your elo stats because you have proven that you will embellish Djokovic's numbers and have an agenda. You have ZERO credibility.

walkofshame-noshame.gif
You're hard to take seriously. You honestly think I'm lying? I saw 89-8 on Ultimate Tennis Statistics but then went to Tennis Abstract because it is more searchable and it has it at 92-8. So you can think I'm lying, or you can just look at this webpage:

I checked the discrepancy and Tennis Abstract includes Qualifiers - Novak won three in 2005 (including against Wawrinka). So yes, technically he's 92-8 at the Australian Open.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You're hard to take seriously. You honestly think I'm lying? I saw 89-8 on Ultimate Tennis Statistics but then went to Tennis Abstract because it is more searchable and it has it at 92-8. So you can think I'm lying, or you can just look at this webpage:

I checked the discrepancy and Tennis Abstract includes Qualifiers - Novak won three in 2005 (including against Wawrinka). So yes, technically he's 92-8 at the Australian Open.

Bro, the ATP tour official website has it at 89-8. Clearly your sources are not reliable. Qualifiers don’t count and the official record is 89 -8. :facepalm:

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Bro, the ATP tour official website has it at 89-8. Clearly your sources are not reliable. Qualifiers don’t count and the official record is 89 -8. :facepalm:
My point is that you accused me of lying, and I proved that I wasn't. Can I get an apology?

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My point is that you accused me of lying, and I proved that I wasn't. Can I get an apology?

No you get zero apology because you just picked the higher number that you found for Djokovic, it wasn’t a coincidence. What next, you will sneak in his wins in doubles? :facepalm:

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Oh, come on. Don't say what Kieran and I wanted it to be about. You spent the entire first page making about the agenda of the OP. All we were doing was considering the question.

As to Rafa being amazing on clay, that's not the question, either. I thought we were talking about Novak.

Again, we're not talking about Rafa.

I don't know who advertised this as "new?" What it was was "news to us," including, as far as I can tell, everyone who responded. So we're discussing. Now, let's be fair, you do like to put statistics together in new ways, even when they aren't "new." I don't see the difference. And I disagree that it doesn't address dominance in a meaningful way. But it's OK if you don't see it that way. I don't agree with all of your graphs and charts, either. There's always a Z factor of opinion/bias, because choices have to be made. The simplicity of this is that it is one factoid. Easier to debate. You don't think much of it. Fair enough.

Understood about Rafa, but, again, we're talking about Novak.

A percentage is not an opinion. I know all about why you like the Elo. And you're welcome to your opinion about Rafa-Novak matches, but I do think, as you suggest, it has a lot to do with not having a dog in the fight. But there is a reason why the world stood up and took notice for the Fedal rivalry. I know it didn't work out as well for Federer fans, but, IMO, at that of much of the rest of the world, it was very compelling. They made great tennis together. I think that's why they're great friends, and wept together when Roger hung 'em up. Like Chrissie and Martina...tied at the hip.

Back to the OP: do you think that Novak is disadvantaged (in this particular stat) because most players are HC players? I thought that's what you were implying. It's not an unreasonable theory.
We're veering into repetition, Moxie, and some of this is sounding familiar - some of which we differ on (like the refrain of "everyone is biased"...truth to that, but motives differ, and thus not all are equally biased. You are far less biased than Nadalfan2013, for instance).

I'm not sure what else to say, lest we go round and round. I've said my piece already, so will step out and let you guys play with your new Rafa bauble in peace. Make of it what you will. I should probably resist the temptation to enter a thread started by Nadalfan2013!

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't deny that it is impressive at all. I was commenting on your endless highly biased attempt to prove that Rafa is better than everyone else, which as I said above, seems rather insecure. You find things that support your Rafa worship and ignore things that don't.

And I have often said that Rafa on clay is the highest peak. But not overall, on all surfaces. Rafa on clay is the best player I've ever seen. But overall, across all surfaces? Novak's peak was higher - he was more consistent across all surfaces. Both Roger and Novak were better on hards and grass than Rafa, but Rafa was better on clay than either were on grass or hards.

You do realize that I don't have a horse in this race (Novak vs. Rafa)? I like both players, but my guy among the Big Three is Roger. As I've said before, I think all three have different, unique flavors of greatness and are the three greatest players of the Open Era (along with Laver, if we include his pre-Open career). I do think that Novak has a slight edge overall, though, as the "first among near-equals."
It goes without saying Rafa has less consistency on grass then the other two, and yet
I know we are all splitting hairs here, but it has to be said, Rafa has had sustained periods of brillamce on hardcourts such as his 2013: USO and the fall double Masters (cincy & canada) and the IW HC Masters that Federer never had an equivalent on clay ever.

Also the fact remains he has more HC titles at the USO than Novak and has had HC master titles or Majors on HC through a preriod of 18 years & counting, the longest in the Open era.

Again we all tend to be selective on the stats we use but my own bias is to push back when Rafa’s HC record is IMO minimized somewhat.

Reactions: Moxie and tented

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It goes without saying Rafa has less consistency on grass then the other two, and yet
I know we are all splitting hairs here, but it has to be said, Rafa has had sustained periods of brillamce on hardcourts such as his 2013: USO and the fall double Masters (cincy & canada) and the IW HC Masters that Federer never had an equivalent on clay ever.

Also the fact remains he has more HC titles at the USO than Novak and has had HC master titles or Majors on HC through a preriod of 18 years & counting, the longest in the Open era.

Again we all tend to be selective on the stats we use but my own bias is to push back when Rafa’s HC record is IMO minimized somewhat.

Rafa has the double career slam and at least 5+ finals in each slam. He has nothing to prove, he is one of the most consistent and versatile players in the history of the universe.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Rafa has a GREAT hard court record - not minimizing it at all. He's one of the very best hard court players of the Open Era. But Novak's and Roger's records are greater, and it isn't particularly close - the two best of all time. Sure, there are nuances; for instances, we can differentiate between different court speeds, indoor vs. outdoor, etc etc, but at that point we might as well not talk about hards as a category.

Really, there are a "Big Two" of hard court dominance, then a gap after which are Rafa, Sampras, Agassi, and Lendl in some order. I think we can debate how to order 3-6, but not who is in the top two. To say Rafa's isn't in the top 2 isn't minimizing it at all; he's still--at least--in the top 6.

Similarly, there is one guy far above everyone else on clay, then another guy (Borg) who is a solid but somewhat distant second, then we get into a group that includes Novak, Vilas, and Lendl (I'd personally put Wilander a bit behind these guys, with the next group that includes guys like Kuerten, Muster, Federer, etc).

I'll illustrate what I'm getting at in a different way. Roger was excellent on clay. That gets a bit diminished because he only won RG once. But he played alongside Rafa, reached five finals, won 11 clay titles including a Slam and six Masters. According to GOAT points he's 6th all time on clay and 8th all-time in peak clay Elo. That's a terrific record. But I have no problem with people pointing out that it is a fraction of Rafa's clay record, or that Rafa on hards was better than Roger on clay.

As for "stat selectivity," I actually don't try to be selective, except to contextualize them in a way that is realistic. I try to look at as many stats as I can to see the picture as clearly as possible, and have no interest in the game of "How do I select stats that say what I want them to say?" If that was true, I'd be working overtime like some do to try to prove that Roger Federer is the GOAT. But I don't think he is, and I'm OK with that.

In other words, I'm interested in stats to answer questions, not to serve agendas. Or rather, my "agenda" is to understand tennis, to have an honest and clear and knowledgable opinion - including how great players were relative to each other. I admit to sometimes being overly aggressive towards folks that I feel are cherry-picking to serve their fanboyism. Or when they confuse their fanboyism with legiitimate tennis analysis. It irritates me. It doesn't matter if it is Rafa fanboyism, Novak fanboyism, or even Roger fanboyism (I used to get into squabbles with Fedfan all the time, who thought I was a closet Novak or Rafa fan).

Yes, everyone is selective or biased, but I feel that is sort of a cop out. Shouldn't we try to check our biases and be as objective as we can? At least for me, understanding truth is more important than "winning" or being right. I like "winning" and I like when, say, a statistic highlights a particular aspect of Roger's greatness. But I'll always choose truth over that, because I find it more important, at least in terms of my interest in understanding tennis history.

Reactions: atttomole and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa has a GREAT hard court record - not minimizing it at all. He's one of the very best hard court players of the Open Era. But Novak's and Roger's records are greater, and it isn't particularly close - the two best of all time. Sure, there are nuances; for instances, we can differentiate between different court speeds, indoor vs. outdoor, etc etc, but at that point we might as well not talk about hards as a category.

Really, there are a "Big Two" of hard court dominance, then a gap after which are Rafa, Sampras, Agassi, and Lendl in some order. I think we can debate how to order 3-6, but not who is in the top two. To say Rafa's isn't in the top 2 isn't minimizing it at all; he's still--at least--in the top 6.
At the risk of repeating myself (so save your breath,) look at what you wrote above, and think of it from another perspective. Novak and Roger's HC records are greater, and it isn't that close. But Rafa is top 6, at least, you say. Well, he was contemporaneous with Federer and Djokovic, and sandwiched in the middle, as we have discussed. There are only so many titles to go around, plus, it has been a bit "two against one." I agree they're better on HCs, esp. indoor HCs, but the spread across which he had to play them certainly diminished his HC achievements. In the one year he sort of had "to himself," 2010, he retired out of the AO injured, (to Murray, if memory serves, who lost to Roger in the final,) he went on to win the other 3 Majors, including his first US Open, which many thought he'd never win. (Many Nadal fans, at least secretly, included. I will demure on that.)
Similarly, there is one guy far above everyone else on clay, then another guy (Borg) who is a solid but somewhat distant second, then we get into a group that includes Novak, Vilas, and Lendl (I'd personally put Wilander a bit behind these guys, with the next group that includes guys like Kuerten, Muster, Federer, etc).

I'll illustrate what I'm getting at in a different way. Roger was excellent on clay. That gets a bit diminished because he only won RG once. But he played alongside Rafa, reached five finals, won 11 clay titles including a Slam and six Masters. According to GOAT points he's 6th all time on clay and 8th all-time in peak clay Elo. That's a terrific record. But I have no problem with people pointing out that it is a fraction of Rafa's clay record, or that Rafa on hards was better than Roger on clay.
I agree that Roger has been underrated by some on clay. (Not least of which, let's face it, were Federer fans, who loved to call it his "worst surface," which I think was a fannish reaction to how he'd done v. Nadal. "Least successful" would have been a less-biased way to put it.) Of course he was great on clay. With that footwork? But he really did slide like a clay courter, and adjusted his rally-tolerance to clay. He wasn't just a brilliant player who managed well on the dirt.

Yes, Rafa is inarguably the GOAT on clay, and that isn't even close. But the clay is 1/3 of the year, grass barely anything, and HCs the rest. And Nadal had to fend off both Roger and Novak numerous times, all by his lonesome. To take the other side on that, given how much HC is on offer, sure, Rafa would look better on HC than Roger or Novak on clay. But it wasn't like he was poaching small tournaments, or not winning beating Roger and Novak on HC, including at 3 Major finals.
As for "stat selectivity," I actually don't try to be selective, except to contextualize them in a way that is realistic. I try to look at as many stats as I can to see the picture as clearly as possible, and have no interest in the game of "How do I select stats that say what I want them to say?" If that was true, I'd be working overtime like some do to try to prove that Roger Federer is the GOAT. But I don't think he is, and I'm OK with that.

In other words, I'm interested in stats to answer questions, not to serve agendas. Or rather, my "agenda" is to understand tennis, to have an honest and clear and knowledgable opinion - including how great players were relative to each other. I admit to sometimes being overly aggressive towards folks that I feel are cherry-picking to serve their fanboyism. Or when they confuse their fanboyism with legiitimate tennis analysis. It irritates me. It doesn't matter if it is Rafa fanboyism, Novak fanboyism, or even Roger fanboyism (I used to get into squabbles with Fedfan all the time, who thought I was a closet Novak or Rafa fan).

Yes, everyone is selective or biased, but I feel that is sort of a cop out. Shouldn't we try to check our biases and be as objective as we can? At least for me, understanding truth is more important than "winning" or being right. I like "winning" and I like when, say, a statistic highlights a particular aspect of Roger's greatness. But I'll always choose truth over that, because I find it more important, at least in terms of my interest in understanding tennis history.
I honestly believe how hard you try to present stats for discussion, and without prejudice, and I know you've caught more that a little :shitstorm: for it, including from your "tribesmen." (Oh, I've been dying to use that emoji.)

This thread is actually about Novak, which I keep trying to bring it back to. I know the source put you off, and you may be finished with the original question, but please don't think that most of us consider it just an opportunity to salivate over Rafa's achievements. We already have a thread for that. ;):smooch:

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
At the risk of repeating myself (so save your breath,) look at what you wrote above, and think of it from another perspective. Novak and Roger's HC records are greater, and it isn't that close. But Rafa is top 6, at least, you say. Well, he was contemporaneous with Federer and Djokovic, and sandwiched in the middle, as we have discussed. There are only so many titles to go around, plus, it has been a bit "two against one." I agree they're better on HCs, esp. indoor HCs, but the spread across which he had to play them certainly diminished his HC achievements. In the one year he sort of had "to himself," 2010, he retired out of the AO injured, (to Murray, if memory serves, who lost to Roger in the final,) he went on to win the other 3 Majors, including his first US Open, which many thought he'd never win. (Many Nadal fans, at least secretly, included. I will demure on that.)
I agree 100%, which is similar to my view of Roger on clay. Roger made 5 RG finals...that's as many as Wilander, Lendl, and Vilas, and only fewer than Rafa, Borg, and Novak. That's a very select clay company.

Being #3-6 ever on hards is no small potatoes. As you said, if Novak and Roger weren't around, he probably would have won more on hards, and maybe even have been the greatest HC player of the Open Era, or at least seriously been in the running.
I agree that Roger has been underrated by some on clay. (Not least of which, let's face it, were Federer fans, who loved to call it his "worst surface," which I think was a fannish reaction to how he'd done v. Nadal. "Least successful" would have been a less-biased way to put it.) Of course he was great on clay. With that footwork? But he really did slide like a clay courter, and adjusted his rally-tolerance to clay. He wasn't just a brilliant player who managed well on the dirt.
See my comment above. I know that the 2009 RG was one of the most meaningful to Roger, though I'm guessing he would have loved to beat Rafa there. In truth, we have to give Novak accolades for beating Rafa in 2021 at RG. The 2015 match counts, obviously, but Rafa was not his usual self. Rafa wasn't quite as good in 2021 as he was at his very best, but he was still really, really good (and Novak had also dropped a half step). So Novak gets props for that. At the least, that loss is less controversial than 2009's loss to Soderling. I don't remember Rafa being hurt in 2021, though I also can't quite remember how Novak pulled it off. I suppose the margins were just small then, vs at other times.

Actually, here's a stat - players who have even won a single set vs. Rafa at Roland Garros, with their set record:
Novak: 11-24
Roger: 4-18
Soderling: 3-4
Auger-Aliassime: 2-3
Isner: 2-3
Schwartzman: 2-6

Brands: 1-3
Ferrer: 1-3
Goffin: 1-3
Grosjean: 1-3
Klizan: 1-3
Mathieu: 1-3
Puerta: 1-3
Sock 1-3
Thiem: 1-3
Hewitt: 1-9

A lot of those were early on (Grosjean, Puerta, Hewitt's single won set).

BTW, what's with the Daniel Brands moment?! That was the first round of 2013, what i consider Rafa's best year. I do remember him starting slow, though, but I think by RG he was at full power.
Yes, Rafa is inarguably the GOAT on clay, and that isn't even close. But the clay is 1/3 of the year, grass barely anything, and HCs the rest. And Nadal had to fend off both Roger and Novak numerous times, all by his lonesome. To take the other side on that, given how much HC is on offer, sure, Rafa would look better on HC than Roger or Novak on clay. But it wasn't like he was poaching small tournaments, or not winning beating Roger and Novak on HC, including at 3 Major finals.
Again, I agree. You don't need to defend Rafa's greatness on hards. That's kind of my point - that him having a record as good as the two best hard court players of all time isn't a slight. Not at all. But I do think you make good arguments that he could have been third. I might give the edge to Pete, though, and rank them Novak, Roger, Pete, Rafa, Lendl, Agassi (I'd rank Lendl over Agassi without much research, because I think he had tougher competition and a lot of Agassi's hardcourt wins were in the weak late 90s/early 00s).

I honestly believe how hard you try to present stats for discussion, and without prejudice, and I know you've caught more that a little :shitstorm: for it, including from your "tribesmen." (Oh, I've been dying to use that emoji.)

This thread is actually about Novak, which I keep trying to bring it back to. I know the source put you off, and you may be finished with the original question, but please don't think that most of us consider it just an opportunity to salivate over Rafa's achievements. We already have a thread for that. ;):smooch:
Thanks! Just to address one point, this is also why I'm not very tribal. It is not that I feel no connection to fellow Federer fans, but it is more of a resonance and shared feeling than an allegiance. Fedfan was just as onerous to me as fanboys of other players, in some ways more so because he couldn't hear what I was saying in good faith, with the whole closet Novak/Rafa fan. I mean, really?!

Anyhow,as for Novak and not winning a Slam without dropping a set, I did address this up thread. But in summary:

1. His defensive style, and his general pattern of play: assess the opponent, learn the pattern of play and weaknesses, then apply pressure at key moments. I've seen Novak utterly dominate a match, but less frequently than Roger or Rafa, both of whom seem to have had more 'runaway victories.' Not sure if that is statistically true, but it feels true from an eyeball/memory perspective.
2. He wasn't as dominant, even on hards, as Rafa was on clay. He was great everywhere, but Rafa on clay is on a different level. But this also relates to the second point: within a given match, his margins seem to be smaller. I've seen Rafa and Roger play more matches where there was no doubt that they'd win, from the very beginning. Novak seems to coast more, at least at first, and even fall behind more frequently. But again, more research should be done to see if this is actually true.

That second point is inseparable from Rafa, who has those 4 Slams largely because of his clay greatness (they were all at RG, unsurprisingly).

So I don't really see it as surprising that Novak hasn't done it, more of a statistical quirk. It isn't surprising because it is rare to begin with, and because of how he plays, and because the guy who did it four times was the "surface GOAT" by a good margin.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree 100%, which is similar to my view of Roger on clay. Roger made 5 RG finals...that's as many as Wilander, Lendl, and Vilas, and only fewer than Rafa, Borg, and Novak. That's a very select clay company.

Being #3-6 ever on hards is no small potatoes. As you said, if Novak and Roger weren't around, he probably would have won more on hards, and maybe even have been the greatest HC player of the Open Era, or at least seriously been in the running.
Thanks. All fair points.
See my comment above. I know that the 2009 RG was one of the most meaningful to Roger, though I'm guessing he would have loved to beat Rafa there. In truth, we have to give Novak accolades for beating Rafa in 2021 at RG. The 2015 match counts, obviously, but Rafa was not his usual self. Rafa wasn't quite as good in 2021 as he was at his very best, but he was still really, really good (and Novak had also dropped a half step). So Novak gets props for that. At the least, that loss is less controversial than 2009's loss to Soderling. I don't remember Rafa being hurt in 2021, though I also can't quite remember how Novak pulled it off. I suppose the margins were just small then, vs at other times.
I was working on the day of the 2021 match, and haven't had the heart to revisit it. Some say it was a good match. That was the only time anyone beat Rafa, and went on to win the title. To date. (Remember that when Novak won the title in 2016, he didn't play Nadal, who withdrew with injury.)
Actually, here's a stat - players who have even won a single set vs. Rafa at Roland Garros, with their set record:
Novak: 11-24
Roger: 4-18
Soderling: 3-4
Auger-Aliassime: 2-3
Isner: 2-3
Schwartzman: 2-6

Brands: 1-3
Ferrer: 1-3
Goffin: 1-3
Grosjean: 1-3
Klizan: 1-3
Mathieu: 1-3
Puerta: 1-3
Sock 1-3
Thiem: 1-3
Hewitt: 1-9

A lot of those were early on (Grosjean, Puerta, Hewitt's single won set).

BTW, what's with the Daniel Brands moment?! That was the first round of 2013, what i consider Rafa's best year. I do remember him starting slow, though, but I think by RG he was at full power.
You're kind to look of that record of set wins/losses to Rafa at RG.

Don't know what to say about Brands winning that set, but 2013 was a comeback from injury year for Rafa. He didn't really start that slow, once he started playing again. I think it must have been just "first-round nerves."
Again, I agree. You don't need to defend Rafa's greatness on hards. That's kind of my point - that him having a record as good as the two best hard court players of all time isn't a slight. Not at all. But I do think you make good arguments that he could have been third. I might give the edge to Pete, though, and rank them Novak, Roger, Pete, Rafa, Lendl, Agassi (I'd rank Lendl over Agassi without much research, because I think he had tougher competition and a lot of Agassi's hardcourt wins were in the weak late 90s/early 00s).
I could be OK with that.
Thanks! Just to address one point, this is also why I'm not very tribal. It is not that I feel no connection to fellow Federer fans, but it is more of a resonance and shared feeling than an allegiance. Fedfan was just as onerous to me as fanboys of other players, in some ways more so because he couldn't hear what I was saying in good faith, with the whole closet Novak/Rafa fan. I mean, really?!
No way. That's just ridiculous. We all "lean" a bit, in secondary allegiances, but I know you try really hard.
Anyhow,as for Novak and not winning a Slam without dropping a set, I did address this up thread. But in summary:

1. His defensive style, and his general pattern of play: assess the opponent, learn the pattern of play and weaknesses, then apply pressure at key moments. I've seen Novak utterly dominate a match, but less frequently than Roger or Rafa, both of whom seem to have had more 'runaway victories.' Not sure if that is statistically true, but it feels true from an eyeball/memory perspective.
This is where we differ, as I've said before. I feel like you're describing Rafa here, more than Novak. I mean, Rafa is the king of the come-from-behind victory...this has been rather signature. I think Novak is more likely to make his own path difficult. We can look up some old matches and compare, but I'm doubting your memory here.
2. He wasn't as dominant, even on hards, as Rafa was on clay. He was great everywhere, but Rafa on clay is on a different level. But this also relates to the second point: within a given match, his margins seem to be smaller. I've seen Rafa and Roger play more matches where there was no doubt that they'd win, from the very beginning. Novak seems to coast more, at least at first, and even fall behind more frequently. But again, more research should be done to see if this is actually true.
Again, I doubt your memory, as to matches, overall. Roger was surely the one who took leads and ran with them. Rafa and Novak have tended to take the long road, being more natural baseliners. But, sure, it was harder for Novak to dominate on HC, since most players tend to them. However, I don't remember him struggling, for the most part. Though, when he does, it's often of his own making, or was, in his dominant years. Not the same, earlier, and of late.
That second point is inseparable from Rafa, who has those 4 Slams largely because of his clay greatness (they were all at RG, unsurprisingly).

So I don't really see it as surprising that Novak hasn't done it, more of a statistical quirk. It isn't surprising because it is rare to begin with, and because of how he plays, and because the guy who did it four times was the "surface GOAT" by a good margin.
Right, but Rafa won the 2010 USO and only dropped one set. I'm still going to look into some of these others, as to "sets lost." I actually think that Borg still holds the record for fewest sets lost at RG on the way to a title, but that's memory, not fact.

Reactions: El Dude

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

How did that go for Diogenes ? ; )

• Haha
Reactions: El Dude