What Elo stats don't tell us: Why has Djokovic failed to win a slam without dropping a set?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
AGAIN, my problem isn't about the stat. And you know I use and like a range of stats (not just those that support Roger!)

Are you deliberately being obtuse? ;)
Nope! Just giving you some suggestions… :)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If we can leave off discussing the OP anymore, anyone have any idea why it would be that Novak hasn't managed that, in all of his 22 Major wins, and "decade of dominance," as many insist? Or how close he's come? It's not an uninteresting question.

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
If we can leave off discussing the OP anymore, anyone have any idea why it would be that Novak hasn't managed that, in all of his 22 Major wins, and "decade of dominance," as many insist? Or how close he's come? It's not an uninteresting question.
I actually think it shows a positive side to him, that he wins his slams while dropping sets. I’m not sure how many he won dropping only one set, like Rafa did at the USO in 2010, but I’m sure he’s done that a few times..

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I actually think it shows a positive side to him, that he wins his slams while dropping sets. I’m not sure how many he won dropping only one set, like Rafa did at the USO in 2010, but I’m sure he’s done that a few times..
That's what I'm curious about, but right now I'm trying to keep track of 3 matches and sell a car (!) so it'll have to wait. I don't think anyone doubts Novak's fight, but I have heard a lot about "dominance" (something some people around here seem to prize a lot in their tennis players,) and I'd say this fact takes that down a peg when you compare it to Rafa and Roger. And I agree with you...this, amongst stats...is an actually noteworthy one. They do tell you on TV, for example, every time someone gets through a tournament without dropping a set...and I mean all tournaments.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
That's what I'm curious about, but right now I'm trying to keep track of 3 matches and sell a car (!) so it'll have to wait. I don't think anyone doubts Novak's fight, but I have heard a lot about "dominance" (something some people around here seem to prize a lot in their tennis players,) and I'd say this fact takes that down a peg when you compare it to Rafa and Roger. And I agree with you...this, amongst stats...is an actually noteworthy one. They do tell you on TV, for example, every time someone gets through a tournament without dropping a set...and I mean all tournaments.
Well, sometimes we can doubt his fight. Novak has chickened out in matches much more than Rafa and Roger combined. He’s lost matches where he’d have won them if he was mentally tougher. This isn’t even a million years ago, I’m talking about. He’s got his tough side but he can be incredibly brittle at times too..

Reactions: Moxie

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Winning a Slam without dropping a set is impressive in terms of the dominance it implies within a specific event - that the player didn't let up or go through any lapses or "coasting" periods (or at least none that got out of hand). Meaning, it speaks of a certain relentlessness within the context of a specific event.

On the other hand, with sports the end result is what matters. A win is a win, regardless of how you got there (assuming that cheating wasn't involved, of course). Now I do personally think that reaching a Slam Final, for example, is an impressive feat, and shouldn't be discounted; it is superior to, say, going out in the 4th round. But as far as wins are concerned, a win is a win. There are different paths to get there.

I do find it curious that Novak hasn't won a Slam without dropping a set...at least somewhat. It is rare enough that it isn't too weird. But I imagine that part of this is his overall defense-first approach. He reminds me of a boxer -- like Rocky Balboa -- that lets his opponent attack, assesses their pattern for weaknesses and/or to wear them down, then adjusts and attacks. I mean, it is hard to argue with the results: he's won as many Slams as anyone, more big titles, more weeks at #1, etc etc.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Winning a Slam without dropping a set is impressive in terms of the dominance it implies within a specific event - that the player didn't let up or go through any lapses or "coasting" periods (or at least none that got out of hand). Meaning, it speaks of a certain relentlessness within the context of a specific event.

On the other hand, with sports the end result is what matters. A win is a win, regardless of how you got there (assuming that cheating wasn't involved, of course). Now I do personally think that reaching a Slam Final, for example, is an impressive feat, and shouldn't be discounted; it is superior to, say, going out in the 4th round. But as far as wins are concerned, a win is a win. There are different paths to get there.

I do find it curious that Novak hasn't won a Slam without dropping a set...at least somewhat. It is rare enough that it isn't too weird. But I imagine that part of this is his overall defense-first approach. He reminds me of a boxer -- like Rocky Balboa -- that lets his opponent attack, assesses their pattern for weaknesses and/or to wear them down, then adjusts and attacks. I mean, it is hard to argue with the results: he's won as many Slams as anyone, more big titles, more weeks at #1, etc etc.

Basically you wrote a whole book just to indirectly say that Djokovic can't win a slam in straight sets because he is a pusher. Come on, just say it out loud, Djokovic is a pusher and his boring style has hurt the popularity of our sport, unlike the more exciting and impressive Fedal. Come on I know you can do it, say it and get it off your chest, you will feel better afterwards I promise. :smooch:

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Basically you wrote a whole book just to indirectly say that Djokovic can't win a slam in straight sets because he is a pusher. Come on, just say it out loud, Djokovic is a pusher and his boring style has hurt the popularity of our sport, unlike the more exciting and impressive Fedal. Come on I know you can do it, say it and get it off your chest, you will feel better afterwards I promise. :smooch:
I don't know why you hate Novak so much. Oh wait, I do.

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't know why you hate Novak so much. Oh wait, I do.

I don't "hate" Djokovic and this thread has to do with nothing else but an interesting stat that shows that he may not be the "best" or "highest level" of all time which is what many of his fans repeat. However since you asked I will answer you that I don't like him and am not a fan of his because he is a complete fool:

novak-djokovic-racquet-smash.gif

novak-djokovic-angry.gif

29fde9991d3bf680322d460177bbed0d.gif

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

novak-djokovic-racquet-throw.gif

djoker-olympic-smash-raquet-djokovic-angry.gif

1682114237124.gif

novak-djokovic-line-judge.gif

novak-djokovic-racquet-smash.gif

That's without mentioning his stupid behaviour off the court like the irresponsible super spreader parties at the Adria Tour, the either faking a Covid test or actually having Covid and seeing people, or of course his views on magical healing Energy Pyramids and controlling water molecules with his mind. Do you need me to continue? I can go on for hours.

Hopefully Rafa will be back to tennis quickly so that we actually go back to watching a true gentlemen and a true professional role model to kids.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's a bit soft-pedaling it, don't you think? It's not like it's been done by lesser greats. It does speak to a kind of superiority over the competition, particularly at a Bo5 Majors event. And surely it could be broadened out surrounding those Major wins w/o dropping a set to see other events where they hadn't, either. Nadal on clay, for sure.
Absolutely agreed. It's sports...what you want is the win. And the ultimate win, in the title. That's why I question the Elo. As you say, reaching Slam finals, etc., matters, but being a constant bridesmaid is not the same as besting the field in big moments.
Yes, but so many love to claim that Nadal is very defense-first. And he definitely does what you claim that Novak does: look for weaknesses and adjust. Rafa and Novak are not massively dissimilar, which is why their matches have never had the appeal of the Fedal one. Not enough yin-yang.

Kieran's comment above made me think of something that @nehmeth used to say about Djokovic fans going on the "Nolecoaster." He's been known to go walkabout, mentally, for a set. He's still got 22 Majors, and I do agree with you the end result is the final answer. But with such supposed domination over the tour available to him, and a "Décima" in Oz, it's surprising, to me, at least, that he never won a Major without dropping a set. He may have a couple more Majors in him, but, with the state of the youngsters, and his age, I doubt it will happen. Not a huge ding, but a point worth making.

roberto

Futures Player
Reactions
Moxie you're like a kid with a new toy or a dog with a new bone--this chink in Novak's armor that will cause some to put an * next to his slam total, eh?
And if you think he's done winning any more slams, than you don't really know your customer I'm afraid. Don't group him physically with Rafa--they are NOT at the same point physically in their careers...

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well here’s one no sets lost record Novak owns:

Most Masters 1000 titles without losing a set:

Djokovic 11
Nadal 8
Federer 7
Murray 4

Impressive because at least 4 if not 5 of the matches are on consecutive days…

Reactions: tented and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie you're like a kid with a new toy or a dog with a new bone--this chink in Novak's armor that will cause some to put an * next to his slam total, eh?
And if you think he's done winning any more slams, than you don't really know your customer I'm afraid. Don't group him physically with Rafa--they are NOT at the same point physically in their careers...
Do you just show up periodically to criticize me, in particular? There's an entire thread here for you to comment on, if you like. Did anyone say "asterisk?" I think not. I just said, at best, it was a ding, just because the other of the Big 3 have accomplished it. We all know their records will be compared. I also said that Novak may have a couple more Majors in him. Because I cannot predict the future, nor can you. I didn't say anything about his physical condition compared to Rafa's. You just wrote that in. If you actually watch tennis and have any opinions, feel free to make them. There are plenty of threads for that, and I'm sure we would all love to hear what you're liking about the current game. I hope you don't just show up to call me on bias, because that would be boring. I don't hide my bias, but you do have to get my points right.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well here’s one no sets lost record Novak owns:

Most Masters 1000 titles without losing a set:

Djokovic 11
Nadal 8
Federer 7
Murray 4

Impressive because at least 4 if not 5 of the matches are on consecutive days…
That was well-researched! A lot of people say that the MS 1000's are almost harder than Slams, because the field is dense, and, as you say, you have to play consecutive days. Nowhere to hide.

roberto

Futures Player
Reactions
Do you just show up periodically to criticize me, in particular? There's an entire thread here for you to comment on, if you like. Did anyone say "asterisk?" I think not. I just said, at best, it was a ding, just because the other of the Big 3 have accomplished it. We all know their records will be compared. I also said that Novak may have a couple more Majors in him. Because I cannot predict the future, nor can you. I didn't say anything about his physical condition compared to Rafa's. You just wrote that in. If you actually watch tennis and have any opinions, feel free to make them. There are plenty of threads for that, and I'm sure we would all love to hear what you're liking about the current game. I hope you don't just show up to call me on bias, because that would be boring. I don't hide my bias, but you do have to get my points right.
Oh I get your points---your attacking my frequency of posting and making it personal to you, rather than refuting the substance of what I said. winning a slam without losing a set is interesting but hardly on the hit parade of stats that folks generally focus on. But, I guess exacerbated by Rafa's current physical challenges, you are looking for nits to keep you busy . Whatever makes you happy . You did say : I doubt it will happen when referring to Novak winning more majors, and in many threads you and several other Nadalites have lumped them together particularly when talking about slam prospects as if they're in the same physical state. So breathe, own what you've said on this thread (and others)----and get back to you car selling. Hope it goes well for you.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh I get your points---your attacking my frequency of posting and making it personal to you, rather than refuting the substance of what I said. winning a slam without losing a set is interesting but hardly on the hit parade of stats that folks generally focus on. But, I guess exacerbated by Rafa's current physical challenges, you are looking for nits to keep you busy . Whatever makes you happy . You did say : I doubt it will happen when referring to Novak winning more majors, and in many threads you and several other Nadalites have lumped them together particularly when talking about slam prospects as if they're in the same physical state. So breathe, own what you've said on this thread (and others)----and get back to you car selling. Hope it goes well for you.
Why shouldn't I take it personally? You jump in out of nowhere to come after me.

Let's look at the "substance" of what you said. This is your post to me:

"Moxie you're like a kid with a new toy or a dog with a new bone--this chink in Novak's armor that will cause some to put an * next to his slam total, eh?
And if you think he's done winning any more slams, than you don't really know your customer I'm afraid. Don't group him physically with Rafa--they are NOT at the same point physically in their careers..."

I addressed all of your points. And what I said about "I doubt it will happen," referred to Novak winning another slam without dropping a set. I have never said that I didn't think that Novak didn't have another Slam or more in him.

The thing about selling the car, now you're creeping me out.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
That's a bit soft-pedaling it, don't you think? It's not like it's been done by lesser greats. It does speak to a kind of superiority over the competition, particularly at a Bo5 Majors event. And surely it could be broadened out surrounding those Major wins w/o dropping a set to see other events where they hadn't, either. Nadal on clay, for sure.

Call it what you will, I just don't find it particularly meaningful in the way that Nadalfan2013--and seemingly you and Kieran--want it to be meaningful. For one, it doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know: Rafa was amazing on clay, and especially at Roland Garros (all four were at RG). We knew this.

Another problem with considering it among serious criteria of greatness: It has happened so few times, and those who have done it barely did it at all. In other words, it is more of a freak statistical anomaly than a meaningful data point, because it is so rare.

What it tells us is that Rafa--on his best surface and at his best tournament--was hugely dominant, in an unparalleled way. But again, we already knew this. I think most will agree that "Rafa on clay" is the best surface-player combo in tennis history (aside from the few Borg, Roger, Novak diehards). You know I've said as much.

But again, this is old news, and doesn't really address "dominance" in a meaningful or new way. And of course the key point: dominance has to be about more than just clay, and more than just every once in awhile, and more than just one tournament.

So again, the stat illustrates Rafa's dominance on clay and at Roland Garros. It provides a different angle on what we already knew. But it doesn't in any way push him higher up or add to his legacy or, more to Nadalfan2013's endless quest, diminish Novak in any way. Novak is the greatest hard courter of all time (that is, the Open Era), but he wasn't as dominant as Rafa on clay. I don't think anyone is making a serious argument for that (and if they were to, I'd be just as happy to disagree with them and defend Rafa as the "surface/context GOAT" all day long).

Absolutely agreed. It's sports...what you want is the win. And the ultimate win, in the title. That's why I question the Elo. As you say, reaching Slam finals, etc., matters, but being a constant bridesmaid is not the same as besting the field in big moments.
Well again, Elo isn't the Grail - but it highlights some things well that other stats don't. I'm not Jeff Sackmann, who seems to think Elo trumps all. But I also don't need it to encapsulate everything to be useful. No stat encapsulates everything, at least in a way that negates the need for other stats or different perspectives.

I mean, I have questions about GOAT points, but the nice thing about them is that they include pretty much everything: Elo, ATP rankings, titles, good results at bigger tournaments, various accomplishment records, even H2H matchups and meaningful wins. So you get a shotgun approach that doesn't leave much of anything out. The problem is more that by including everything, it smoothes subtleties out. It also "double counts" stuff in a way; for instance, by including ATP ranking and tournament points, you're essentially doubling up. This is why I like to consider the parts separately, and then see how they look together.

When assessing dominance, I mainly look at three factors: Elo, good results at tournaments (Slam QF or better, Masters SF or better, Tour Final match wins, Olympic medals, 500 Wins and Finals, and 250 Wins), as well as another stat that I thunk up that I don't see anyone else use, which essentially boils down to actual ATP points earned divided by possible ATP points earned (i.e. If a player ends a year with 10,000 ATP points and played in events worth a total of 15,000 ATP points, they receive a 67% in this stat...meaning, they won 67% of the total points they could have won...which is great - one of the ten best all-time. The record for this is, of course, Novak in 2015 when he won 88% of his possible ATP points...just an absurd figure, if you think about it).
Yes, but so many love to claim that Nadal is very defense-first. And he definitely does what you claim that Novak does: look for weaknesses and adjust. Rafa and Novak are not massively dissimilar, which is why their matches have never had the appeal of the Fedal one. Not enough yin-yang.
I hear what you are saying, but to be honest I've always loved Rafa-Novak matches and enjoyed them from a pure tennis fan perspective more than Fedal or Fedkovic, but that's probably mostly due to not having a dog in the fight and just being able to sit back and enjoy the match. And while I agree that yin-yang is evocative, I also like seeing the two best at a roughly similar style of play duke it out. I suppose the Federer equivalent would have been seeing him face peak Sampras, which would have been glorious to behold.
Kieran's comment above made me think of something that @nehmeth used to say about Djokovic fans going on the "Nolecoaster." He's been known to go walkabout, mentally, for a set. He's still got 22 Majors, and I do agree with you the end result is the final answer. But with such supposed domination over the tour available to him, and a "Décima" in Oz, it's surprising, to me, at least, that he never won a Major without dropping a set. He may have a couple more Majors in him, but, with the state of the youngsters, and his age, I doubt it will happen. Not a huge ding, but a point worth making.
Well again, see my point above. As dominant as Novak was at the AO, the margins--while large--were still narrower than Rafa at Roland Garros. Everyone's were, in any place. Or we can compare:

Novak at AO:92-8 (92%), 10 titles
Rafa at RG: 112-3 (97.4%), 14 titles

I should probably look at up set record at those events, but I don't know how to do a search for that. But the above gives the picture.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Call it what you will, I just don't find it particularly meaningful in the way that Nadalfan2013--and seemingly you and Kieran--want it to be meaningful. For one, it doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know: Rafa was amazing on clay, and especially at Roland Garros (all four were at RG). We knew this.

Another problem with considering it among serious criteria of greatness: It has happened so few times, and those who have done it barely did it at all. In other words, it is more of a freak statistical anomaly than a meaningful data point, because it is so rare.

What it tells us is that Rafa--on his best surface and at his best tournament--was hugely dominant, in an unparalleled way. But again, we already knew this. I think most will agree that "Rafa on clay" is the best surface-player combo in tennis history (aside from the few Borg, Roger, Novak diehards). You know I've said as much.

But again, this is old news, and doesn't really address "dominance" in a meaningful or new way. And of course the key point: dominance has to be about more than just clay, and more than just every once in awhile, and more than just one tournament.

So again, the stat illustrates Rafa's dominance on clay and at Roland Garros. It provides a different angle on what we already knew. But it doesn't in any way push him higher up or add to his legacy or, more to Nadalfan2013's endless quest, diminish Novak in any way. Novak is the greatest hard courter of all time (that is, the Open Era), but he wasn't as dominant as Rafa on clay. I don't think anyone is making a serious argument for that (and if they were to, I'd be just as happy to disagree with them and defend Rafa as the "surface/context GOAT" all day long).

Well again, Elo isn't the Grail - but it highlights some things well that other stats don't. I'm not Jeff Sackmann, who seems to think Elo trumps all. But I also don't need it to encapsulate everything to be useful. No stat encapsulates everything, at least in a way that negates the need for other stats or different perspectives.

I mean, I have questions about GOAT points, but the nice thing about them is that they include pretty much everything: Elo, ATP rankings, titles, good results at bigger tournaments, various accomplishment records, even H2H matchups and meaningful wins. So you get a shotgun approach that doesn't leave much of anything out. The problem is more that by including everything, it smoothes subtleties out. It also "double counts" stuff in a way; for instance, by including ATP ranking and tournament points, you're essentially doubling up. This is why I like to consider the parts separately, and then see how they look together.

When assessing dominance, I mainly look at three factors: Elo, good results at tournaments (Slam QF or better, Masters SF or better, Tour Final match wins, Olympic medals, 500 Wins and Finals, and 250 Wins), as well as another stat that I thunk up that I don't see anyone else use, which essentially boils down to actual ATP points earned divided by possible ATP points earned (i.e. If a player ends a year with 10,000 ATP points and played in events worth a total of 15,000 ATP points, they receive a 67% in this stat...meaning, they won 67% of the total points they could have won...which is great - one of the ten best all-time. The record for this is, of course, Novak in 2015 when he won 88% of his possible ATP points...just an absurd figure, if you think about it).

I hear what you are saying, but to be honest I've always loved Rafa-Novak matches and enjoyed them from a pure tennis fan perspective more than Fedal or Fedkovic, but that's probably mostly due to not having a dog in the fight and just being able to sit back and enjoy the match. And while I agree that yin-yang is evocative, I also like seeing the two best at a roughly similar style of play duke it out. I suppose the Federer equivalent would have been seeing him face peak Sampras, which would have been glorious to behold.

Well again, see my point above. As dominant as Novak was at the AO, the margins--while large--were still narrower than Rafa at Roland Garros. Everyone's were, in any place. Or we can compare:

I should probably look at up set record at those events, but I don't know how to do a search for that. But the above gives the picture.

Djokovic is 89-8 at the Australian Open and not 92-8. You pretend that you are neutral but you clearly are a Djokovic fanboy. Clearly we can't trust you with all your elo stats because you have proven that you will embellish Djokovic's numbers and have an agenda. You have ZERO credibility.

walkofshame-noshame.gif

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh, come on. Don't say what Kieran and I wanted it to be about. You spent the entire first page making about the agenda of the OP. All we were doing was considering the question.

As to Rafa being amazing on clay, that's not the question, either. I thought we were talking about Novak.

Again, we're not talking about Rafa.
But again, this is old news, and doesn't really address "dominance" in a meaningful or new way.
I don't know who advertised this as "new?" What it was was "news to us," including, as far as I can tell, everyone who responded. So we're discussing. Now, let's be fair, you do like to put statistics together in new ways, even when they aren't "new." I don't see the difference. And I disagree that it doesn't address dominance in a meaningful way. But it's OK if you don't see it that way. I don't agree with all of your graphs and charts, either. There's always a Z factor of opinion/bias, because choices have to be made. The simplicity of this is that it is one factoid. Easier to debate. You don't think much of it. Fair enough.
And of course the key point: dominance has to be about more than just clay, and more than just every once in awhile, and more than just one tournament.

Understood about Rafa, but, again, we're talking about Novak.

A percentage is not an opinion. I know all about why you like the Elo. And you're welcome to your opinion about Rafa-Novak matches, but I do think, as you suggest, it has a lot to do with not having a dog in the fight. But there is a reason why the world stood up and took notice for the Fedal rivalry. I know it didn't work out as well for Federer fans, but, IMO, at that of much of the rest of the world, it was very compelling. They made great tennis together. I think that's why they're great friends, and wept together when Roger hung 'em up. Like Chrissie and Martina...tied at the hip.

Back to the OP: do you think that Novak is disadvantaged (in this particular stat) because most players are HC players? I thought that's what you were implying. It's not an unreasonable theory.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Back to the OP: do you think that Novak is disadvantaged (in this particular stat) because most players are HC players? I thought that's what you were implying. It's not an unreasonable theory.

Federer did it both on hardcourt and grass which are also Djokovic's 2 best surfaces, and they both face pretty much the same competition. Please don't fall for @El Dude 's desperate excuses, you are better than that.