Alcaraz and Elo (and speculations on what to expect going forward)

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
First, from the Rankings thread:

Carlos Alcaraz has a 2344 Elo, which is 22nd in the Open Era. I think he's all but guaranteed to reach 2400 and maybe even has a shot at 2500.

Look at the names ahead of him, but before 2400, that I expect him to pass this year:

13. Rosewall 2388
14. Smith 2381
15. Agassi 2376
16. Wilander 2371
17. Edberg 2370
18. Nastase 2363
19. Roche 2355
20. Ashe 2354
21. Ferrer 2348
22. Alcaraz 2344

#12 is none other than Pete Sampras (2407) whose Elo, as I've said before, was lowered by his relatively poor clay play (his peak Elo on other surfaces was 2500+).

Most notable on that list are Agassi, Wilander, Edberg - true ATGs, if more modest ones. As a group, this is the "lesser great" cohort - so think of the fact that Alcaraz, at age 20, is likely going to pass all or most of these guys.

To go further with this, it is worth noting that Roger reached his peak Elo at age 25, Rafa at 27, Novak at 28. So if Alcaraz is truly cut from the same cloth as the Big Three, expect him to get significantly better. Obvious, I know - and even if he doesn't end up nearly as accomplished, he is almost certainly going to get even better than he is now.

Or compare their Elo ratings by age:

Screen Shot 2023-07-17 at 2.19.09 PM.png

And a bit more detail:

Screen Shot 2023-07-17 at 2.22.07 PM.png

As you can see, he's just a bit below where Rafa was at the same age, and ahead of Novak--and significantly ahead of Roger. Rafa, at the same age, had come closer to reaching his peak level than the other two, so it may be that we should expect something closer to that, than the gradual and/or graduated rises of Roger and Novak.

And remember, Elo is just a number that depicts consistent quality of play over a period of time. Obviously Rafa did get significantly better, but not to the degree that Novak and Roger did (from age 20 to their peaks). Rafa had already surpassed 2400 Elo just after turning age 20 - after winning the 2006 Roland Garros, his second Slam.

Here is the percentage of their eventual peak Elo that they had reached before their 21st birthdays:

Rafa: 94.2% (2403 of 2552)
Novak: 86.9% (2279 of 2629)
Roger: 85% (2168 of 2550)

If we take a very moderate projection and use Rafa's number, Carlos would peak at 2488 Elo (2344 is 94.2% of 2488), which would be 10th best all time.

Now of course it doesn't really work like that, but I'm just crunching the numbers to give a baseline. Let's say that Carlos has performed at 90% of his eventual peak level - that would mean he eventually reaches 2604 Elo, becoming only the third player--after Novak and Borg--to surpass 2600. In the very unlikely scenario where he evolves as much as Roger did from age 20 to 25 (85%), he'd reach 2758!!! Again, very very unlikely - that would essentially be a perfect player. Or to put it another way, he'd be better on all courts than Rafa was at his best on clay (2669 Elo). Also, considering that Elo is based on defeating other players, the chances of him ever getting that high are slim indeed - he'd need to regularly beat a bunch of guys with very high Elos.

But the question is, how much of "peak" Alcaraz are we seeing at this point (at 2344 Elo)? Obviously we just don't know yet. But this is where we can ignore the numbers for a moment and look at what we've seen this year. A month ago, did anyone honestly think he'd be this good on grass, this soon? And beat Novak-freakin-Djokovic at Wimbledon? Maybe his mom?

What we've seen is a player with immense talent that adapts and evolves his game at a rather frightening pace. A player who takes feedback and applies it, and becomes better for it. In that regard, while I'm hesitant to say this when he's still just a fresh blade of grass, it is hard not to think of the over-used cliche: The sky is the limit -- there's no telling how good Alcaraz could become.

But to return to the numbers, perhaps the easy answer, and my guess, is that Alcaraz develops somewhere between Rafa (94%) and Roger (85%) at the same age. One question is whether his incline will be steadier than Rafa, who often had a "post-Wimbledon slump," as you can see in the chart. When Rafa came into his own in 2008 - which is the first of his three greatest years - his post-Wimbledon let-down was much smaller. Carlos did slow down a bit late last year, but unless we see it happen again, he may be able to hold his gains better in the latter part of the year than Rafa often did. As everyone knows, part of Rafa's greatness was the sheer intensity he played with, which was hard to sustain for a whole season. Carlos has similar intensity, but maybe not to quite the same degree. And of course as he matures, we'll get a better sense of his full season approach.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
First, from the Rankings thread:

To go further with this, it is worth noting that Roger reached his peak Elo at age 25, Rafa at 27, Novak at 28. So if Alcaraz is truly cut from the same cloth as the Big Three, expect him to get significantly better. Obvious, I know - and even if he doesn't end up nearly as accomplished, he is almost certainly going to get even better than he is now.

Or compare their Elo ratings by age:

View attachment 8511

And a bit more detail:

View attachment 8512

As you can see, he's just a bit below where Rafa was at the same age, and ahead of Novak--and significantly ahead of Roger. Rafa, at the same age, had come closer to reaching his peak level than the other two, so it may be that we should expect something closer to that, then the gradual and/or graduated rises of Roger and Novak).

And remember, Elo is just a number that depicts consistent quality of play over a period of time. Obviously Rafa did get significantly better, but not to the degree that Novak and Roger did (from age 20 to their peaks). Rafa had already surpassed 2400 Elo just after turning age 20 - after winning the 2006 Roland Garros, his second Slam.

Here is the percentage of their eventual peak Elo that they had reached before their 21st birthdays:

Rafa: 94.2% (2403 of 2552)
Novak: 86.9% (2279 of 2629)
Roger: 85% (2168 of 2550)

If we take a very moderate projection and use Rafa's number, Carlos would peak at 2488 Elo (2344 is 94.2% of 2488), which would be 10th best all time.

Now of course it doesn't really work like that, but I'm just crunching the numbers to give a baseline. Let's say that Carlos has performed at 90% of his eventual peak level - that would mean he eventually reaches 2604 Elo, becoming only the third player--after Novak and Borg--to surpass 2600. In the very unlikely scenario where he evolves as much as Roger did from age 20 to 25 (85%), he'd reach 2758!!! Again, very very unlikely - that would essentially be a perfect player. Or to put it another way, he'd be better on all courts than Rafa was at his best on clay (2669 Elo). Also, considering that Elo is based on defeating other players, the chances of him ever getting that high are slim indeed - he'd need to regularly beat a bunch of guys with very high Elos.

But the question is, how much of "peak" Alcaraz are we seeing at this point (at 2344 Elo)? Obviously we just don't know yet. But this is where we can ignore the numbers for a moment and look at what we've seen this year. A month ago, did anyone honestly think he'd be this good on grass, this soon? And beat Novak-freakin-Djokovic at Wimbledon? Maybe his mom?

What we've seen is a player with immense talent that adapts and evolves his game at a rather frightening pace. A player who takes feedback and applies it, and becomes better for it. In that regard, while I'm hesitant to say this when he's still just a fresh blade of grass, it is hard not to think of the over-used cliche: The sky is the limit -- there's no telling how good Alcaraz could become.

But to return to the numbers, perhaps the easy answer, and my guess, is that Alcaraz develops somewhere between Rafa (94%) and Roger (85%) at the same age. One question is whether his incline will be steadier than Rafa, who often had a "post-Wimbledon slump," as you can see in the chart. When Rafa came into his own in 2008 - which is the first of his three greatest years - his post-Wimbledon let-down was much smaller. Carlos did slow down a bit late last year, but unless we see it happen again, he may be able to hold his gains better in the latter part of the year than Rafa often did. As everyone knows, part of Rafa's greatness was the sheer intensity he played with, which was hard to sustain for a whole season. Carlos has similar intensity, but maybe not to quite the same degree. And of course as he matures, we'll get a better sense of his full season approach.

I have to agree I didnt think he could quickly adapt to grass as he did, winning Queens probably gave him the confidence he needed going into Wimbledon, his draw at Wimbledon contained a lot of big servers and hitter's though to me one thing that stood out, how his return of serve improved on the grass, which stood him well, when he got to the final. Carlos is a quick learner and absorbs information, uses it when necessary in matches. He has a title to defend at the USO, to me it is always harder to defend a GS title, than win one. Carlos is my favorite youngster to watch, I look forward to watch his progress in the future.

Reactions: tented and El Dude

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I have to agree I didnt think he could quickly adapt to grass as he did, winning Queens probably gave him the confidence he needed going into Wimbledon, his draw at Wimbledon contained a lot of big servers and hitter's though to me one thing that stood out, how his return of serve improved on the grass, which stood him well, when he got to the final. Carlos is a quick learner and absorbs information, uses it when necessary in matches. He has a title to defend at the USO, to me it is always harder to defend a GS title, than win one. Carlos is my favorite youngster to watch, I look forward to watch his progress in the future.
That's probably true (about defending a title). Further, I think Novak will know better what to expect and Medvedev will be even more of a factor. Plus, other hungry players: Rune, Sinner, and Zverev on the rise (sort of). But...he's still the favorite, I think, if only by a small margin over Novak, and not a huge margin over Medvedev (though for the life of me, I can't remember Daniil beating him...checking...Carlos is 2-1 against him, with Daniil beating him in their first match at Wimbledon two years ago).

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I think we're all trying to resist hyperbole, but what we saw yesterday was a bit shocking. Not just a taste of potential, but potential realized, way before we expected, in terms of grass and v. Novak. Especially after what happened at RG, when maybe Alcaraz WAS overrated. Given how evolved he already seems in his game and his mentality, it is rather head-spinning that he seems to be still a work in progress, and evolving so quickly. He might be close to his peak, and that might be enough. We've had 3 comets cross our skies in the recent couple of decades, and we've been waiting for someone else to even come close, for just as long. I do think we've just seen another comet, a super-star. We'll see how far he goes.

Reactions: tented and El Dude

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's probably true (about defending a title). Further, I think Novak will know better what to expect and Medvedev will be even more of a factor. Plus, other hungry players: Rune, Sinner, and Zverev on the rise (sort of). But...he's still the favorite, I think, if only by a small margin over Novak, and not a huge margin over Medvedev (though for the life of me, I can't remember Daniil beating him...checking...Carlos is 2-1 against him, with Daniil beating him in their first match at Wimbledon two years ago).
Medvedev has had his best overall midseason results after the AO, with a Masters win on both HC & Clay and a best showing ever on grass with a W SF.

If Daniil’s in full flight this USO swing and keeps his top 3/4 ranking one of the other guys would have to play him first in the Semis, then each other. THAT potentially is a daunting task.

Daniil is still the only guy to beat Novak in a full Slam HC match in 4 years and with 5 HC Masters, 1 Slam HC, and 3 other Slam HC finals ( 2 going 5 full sets) he is the one player IMO who is not a decided underdog vs Novak on a hard court.