What does Alexander Zverev Need to Become World Number 1?

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Nice article, good analysis on the german´s game. If you are interested in honest reader feedback, here it is:

1) A few typos here and there. It could make a difference in the battle for an audience, so I guess is worth the effort of one more revision...

2) The "mental" part seems to be an important part of his game. I guess most readers will react saying something like "all he needs to do is to put his head on his place". It was not your focus, I know, but when talking about such players I guess you need to warn your readers that you´re not touching the subject.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Zverev match vs Rafa is on YT and this time, NO COMMENTARY ! Interesting don't you think ?

Reactions: britbox

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Always seems a different match without commentary. Good find.
there's been a few Wimbly matches uploaded on YT with NO COMMENTARY such as the 2008 and 2014 finals.
Whether they're still there is another thing. I 'll have a look for thse and if I find, post these here.

Reactions: britbox

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
zed is a bit like early Federer ..gets upset with himself too much and not on an even keel mentally. then its ufe time...

but that'll vanish soon enough. joins the list of recent 2titles or more as a teenager list. nadal/Djokovic/murray/del potro/?anyone else recently ?.
not Federer tho , only won 1 title as a teen.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I thought maybe Gasquet, but he won his second title the day after he turned 20. I don't think anyone else in the last 10 years...you'd have to go back to Fed's generation to find a bunch of teenagers who won multiple titles.

Among all-time greats (6+ Slams), Roger and Ivan Lendl are the only ones who didn't win multiple titles before turning 20. Lendl didn't win any titles as a teenager.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
And today he lost vs Thiem. But I like him because he is down to earth, he says that he still has to improve a lot to win a big one

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
zed is a bit like early Federer ..gets upset with himself too much and not on an even keel mentally. then its ufe time...

but that'll vanish soon enough. joins the list of recent 2titles or more as a teenager list. nadal/Djokovic/murray/del potro/?anyone else recently ?.
not Federer tho , only won 1 title as a teen.
Tennis Channel put up a graphic of teenagers who won 2+ titles. Maybe I'll make it a thread.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Besides fitness, I think he needs experience. I am looking forward to his rivalry with Thiem.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Besides fitness, I think he needs experience. I am looking forward to his rivalry with Thiem.

I agree, but think the rivalry will be short-lived and/or lopsided. Thiem holds the edge now, but is far closer to his peak, whereas Zverev is probably a couple years away from his. I think the rivalry will favor Thiem for maybe the next half year or so, but then even out with Zverev taking the reins a year or so from now and being dominant, except maybe on clay.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
True. Thiem could be approaching his peak, and they may still not meet regularly until the old guard is gone. That would be at least 2 years from now.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree, but think the rivalry will be short-lived and/or lopsided. Thiem holds the edge now, but is far closer to his peak, whereas Zverev is probably a couple years away from his. I think the rivalry will favor Thiem for maybe the next half year or so, but then even out with Zverev taking the reins a year or so from now and being dominant, except maybe on clay.
Have seen little of Thiem, but from the little I have seen, he doesn't look like a good fast court player. Zverev could beat him on grass if they meet now.

Reactions: El Dude