Western & Southern Open - Cincinnati (Women)

tented

Administrator
Reactions
On the Tennis Channel, Ted Robinson alluded to their not being able to broadcast WTA matches for contractual reasons. I take it the Tennis Channel and the WTA couldn't come to a financial agreement, so the only way to see them in the US is online through ESPN3.

The WTA needs to have their matches televised, or risk becoming irrelevant, and the Tennis Channel needs to air them. How could they end up in this situation? (That's mostly a rhetorical question, but still ...)

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
tented said:
On the Tennis Channel, Ted Robinson alluded to their not being able to broadcast WTA matches for contractual reasons. I take it the Tennis Channel and the WTA couldn't come to a financial agreement, so the only way to see them in the US is online through ESPN3.

The WTA needs to have their matches televised, or risk becoming irrelevant, and the Tennis Channel needs to air them. How could they end up in this situation? (That's mostly a rhetorical question, but still ...)

IDK why people are surprised! I think it's been like this for years; the women aren't shown until maybe Thursday after the telecast goes to ESPN! Nothing new! :cover :nono :angel: :dodgy:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
tented said:

IDK why people are surprised! I think it's been like this for years; the women aren't shown until maybe Thursday after the telecast goes to ESPN! Nothing new! :cover :nono :angel: :dodgy:
This is true. But it's not for every tournament. Like at the Rogers they were showing women's matches on Mon. And there are other tournaments where they show early round matches. So the contract is obviously based on a case by case w/ the individual tournament.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Azarenka comes through pretty handily. Belinda takes the opener 7-5 :eyepop

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tented said:

That's a shame. Was the deal THAT bad? While it's true that women's tennis is the most popular woman's sport, it needs more visibility other than Sharapova on magazine covers. Hope they can work something out.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Ok, I'm starting to be very impressed. Kerber is no slouch. She's the only one besides Serena who has won 4 titles this year. She just won Stanford a couple weeks ago. And with all the hoopla that goes on after winning a Premier event, I was a bit worried that Bencic would come out flat. Not over yet but after getting broken to fall back to 5-all in the first, she has turned it up a notch.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
And Bencic does it. Wins 7-5, 6-3. Kerber had her chances but after missing a couple BPs in the eighth game, she completely threw up the white flag and ended the match by being broken at love.
Pennetta is next for Bencic.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
this gal is on fire..hope she doesnt peak before the Open...she is the first real talent from all the under twenty three yr olds.
Madison is overrated compared to Bencic...Belinda has talent Keys is a BB favored by the media.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kirijax said:
And Bencic does it. Wins 7-5, 6-3. Kerber had her chances but after missing a couple BPs in the eighth game, she completely threw up the white flag and ended the match by being broken at love.
Pennetta is next for Bencic.

Actually, only the first match is tough for Bencic, in that quarter. The winner of that match, which is Bencic as we now know, is expected to win that quarter and reach SF at Cincy.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
http://espn.go.com/espnw/athletes-life/the-buzz/article/13463077/serena-williams-denied-locker-cincinnati-finds-doppelganger-instead
whats up with WTA and Serena...no.1 player in the world doesnt have a locker...
I am not surprised by this...Serena is about to make history and all this is a way to disrupt her.Toronto celebrated her loss with fireworks now no locker for the number one player.
she better not let this get to her because she is being tested....

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tossip said:
http://espn.go.com/espnw/athletes-life/the-buzz/article/13463077/serena-williams-denied-locker-cincinnati-finds-doppelganger-instead
I am not surprised by this...Serena is about to make history and all this is a way to disrupt her.Toronto celebrated her loss with fireworks now no locker for the number one player.

There's a boogie man under every bed!

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kirijax said:
tossip said:

you are not making sense madam:puzzled

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tossip said:
Kirijax said:
tossip said:

Neither are you Sir. I'll admit that sometimes you have a good point, but not everything is a racist conspiracy engineered to bring about the downfall of Serena and other players. If there is a conspiracy, they sure are doing a crappy job of it. Enjoy the tournament and watch Serena march right into history!

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kirijax said:
tossip said:
Kirijax said:

Neither are you Sir. I'll admit that sometimes you have a good point, but not everything is a racist conspiracy engineered to bring about the downfall of Serena and other players. If there is a conspiracy, they sure are doing a crappy job of it. Enjoy the tournament and watch Serena march right into history!
a number 1 player denied a locker is not newsworthy especially with the sisters history on tour...if it was not that important Serena would noth ave tweeted about it.:ras::popcorn

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tossip said:
Kirijax said:
tossip said:

a number 1 player denied a locker is not newsworthy especially with the sisters history on tour...if it was not that important Serena would noth ave tweeted about it.:ras::popcorn

The tweet and is she the only one without a locker?

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kirijax said:
tossip said:
Kirijax said:

yes she is the only one denied a locker..

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tossip said:
Kirijax said:
tossip said:

yes she is the only one denied a locker..

Link please.