Western & Southern Open 2016

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
largeimage_1118.jpg

Tournament Info
Tier: Premier Prize Money: $2,503,250 Surface: Hard Director: Andre Silva
Since 1899, just 25 years after the first recorded playing of the sport in the United States, tennis tournaments have been staged in Cincinnati, and what is now known as the Western & Southern Open is the country's oldest professional tennis event still played in its original city.

An ATP tournament for most of its history, Cincinnati welcomed a WTA stop in 2004, and then in 2011 it became a joint event, with the men's and women's tournaments going on at the same time. It was named the WTA's Premier 5 Tournament Of The Year in 2014.

Part of the Emirates Airline US Open Series, the event is held about 20 miles north of Cincinnati in Mason, Ohio, at the Lindner Family Tennis Center. It is the only tennis site in the nation outside of the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center to have four permanent stadiums - each of which has lights for night play.

Since 2002, Western & Southern Financial Group has been title sponsor of the tournament, benefitting Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, Barrett Cancer Center and Tennis For City Youth. Champions include Kim Clijsters, Lindsay Davenport, Jelena Jankovic, Li Na, Maria Sharapova, Victoria Azarenka and Serena Williams.

The draw will be present later today

Two-time defending champion Serena Williams has accepted a wild card into the 2016 Western & Southern Open

Cpmh6UYWEAAktsK.jpg

And Caroline should be there too - here she is leaving the Olympics and on her way to Cincinnati

CpezT87WEAAMYGe.jpg

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Cincinnati draw - no Wozniacki and she's not playing quallies - well have to wait until Neww Haven then where she's in. Good luck to your babes.

REVISED DRAW - no Kvitova, NO Serena

1 WILLIAMS, Serena USA replaced by M. Doi Japan
2 BYE
3 QUALIFIER/LUCKY LOSER
4 MCHALE, Christina USA
5 OSTAPENKO, Jelena LAT
6 SCHMIEDLOVA, Anna Karolina SVK
7 BYE
8 PLISKOVA, Karolina CZE

9 BACSINSZKY, Timea SUI
10 BYE
11 QUALIFIER/LUCKY LOSER
12 TSURENKO, Lesia UKR
13 QUALIFIER/LUCKY LOSER
14 QUALIFIER/LUCKY LOSER
15 BYE
16 KUZNETSOVA, Svetlana RUS

17 MUGURUZA, Garbiñe ESP
18 BYE
19 ERRANI, Sara ITA
20 VANDEWEGHE, CoCo USA
21 MAKAROVA, Ekaterina RUS
22 QUALIFIER/LUCKY LOSER
23 BYE
24 PAVLYUCHENKOVA, Anastasia RUS

25 BENCIC, Belinda SUI
26 BYE
27 CHIRICO, Louisa USA
28 PUIG, Monica PUR
29 QUALIFIER/LUCKY LOSER
30 BEGU, Irina-Camelia ROU
31 BYE
32 CIBULKOVA, Dominika SVK

33 RADWANSKA, Agnieszka POL
34 BYE
35 PETKOVIC, Andrea GER
36 SAFAROVA, Lucie CZE
37 QUALIFIER/LUCKY LOSER
38 IVANOVIC, Ana SRB
39 BYE
40 KONTA, Johanna GBR

41 SVITOLINA, Elina UKR
42 BYE
43 GARCIA, Caroline FRA
44 QUALIFIER/LUCKY LOSER
45 QUALIFIER/LUCKY LOSER
46 PUTINTSEVA, Yulia KAZ
47 BYE
48 HALEP, Simona ROU

49 VINCI, Roberta ITA
50 BYE
51 QUALIFIER/LUCKY LOSER
52 KASATKINA, Daria RUS
53 QUALIFIER/LUCKY LOSER
54 BERTENS, Kiki NED
55 BYE
56 SUÁREZ NAVARRO, Carla ESP

57 STOSUR, Samantha AUS
58 BYE
59 STRYCOVA, Barbora CZE
60 QUALIFIER/LUCKY LOSER
61 QUALIFIER/LUCKY LOSER
62 MLADENOVIC, Kristina FRA
63 BYE
64 KERBER, Angelique GER

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
In the opening round Serena gets Svitolina (who just won against her in Olympics although mostly due to Serena's UFE) or Chrsitna McHale (who played fantastic against Serena at Wimbly, even though she lost). Also, most likely Pliskova in the 3rd round.

If Serena can win these two matches, then she is assured of retaining #1 leaving Cincy.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
In the opening round Serena gets Svitolina (who just won against her in Olympics although mostly due to Serena's UFE) or Chrsitna McHale (who played fantastic against Serena at Wimbly, even though she lost). Also, most likely Pliskova in the 3rd round.

If Serena can win these two matches, then she is assured of retaining #1 leaving Cincy.

The court in Cincy plays very fast not like the slow sand grit court in Rio..in a revenge match, if Serena is healthy and focused.. The results will be dissimilar

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Seems Caroline is in NYC and visiting the MxEnroe academy so perhaps she's using time to train for New Haven, where she has a wild card for the main draw. I think she chose to say no to Cincy - too tough for her YET to play quallies.

I think we'll see some withdrawals from New Haven because of the tight schedule for many players. Don't know about Cincy because people need points after the Olympics - where they used a lot of power and got no points.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I wonder if Kerber will be there. She called the trainer out in the Olympics final alluding to her back. It might be smart to skip Cincy and head to the US Open. Take a couple weeks to clear her mind and get over any injuries. We will see might be enticing to try and get the ranking from Serena.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I wonder if Kerber will be there. She called the trainer out in the Olympics final alluding to her back. It might be smart to skip Cincy and head to the US Open. Take a couple weeks to clear her mind and get over any injuries. We will see might be enticing to try and get the ranking from Serena.

I had never seen you having so much concern about Kerber's welfare. :snicker Stop shedding crocodile tears. :nono

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well the way I see it, the last slam and chance at glory is around the corner it is between her and Serena really unless Muguruza decides she wants to pull her head out of her....You know where Serena stands on this she will want the US Open. She will have a shot at number 1 at some point I imagine Kerber.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
First withdrawal Petra Kvitova. I really doubt that Puig and Kerber will be there - we'll see. And what a stupid schedule placing aa premier 5 event after the Olympics - there should have been an international instead me thinks. The WTA could have prolonged the season with ONE week.

Hope someone else will continue this thread. I'll take a break until New Haven. Hope your babes will do it well.:cool:

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I wonder who else will withdraw if anyone. Well that moves Svitolina over to the Kerber side of the draw and balances the draw a bit more.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Yep, Serena's first round opponent will be a lucky loser or Chrsitina McHale. However, I think Christina is a greater threat than Svitolina.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Serena withdrew due to shoulder issues. :(

If Kerber wins this tourney, Serena will be knocked out of #1 rank and the consecutive weeks at #1 streak will be halted.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena doesnt need the no.1 ranking..she has held that badboy since 2013.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kerbie has won two matches. Three away from #1. But, my guess is she will fall along the way somewhere.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Sania Mirza and Martin Hingis split beginning in Cincy. However, they both played in Cinci, although with different partners. Guess what, they both have reached the finals. :clap

If Sania brings the heat and wins against Martina, will Martina take back Sania? :puzzled

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Pliskova will flop just to make way for Kerber...anything for kith and kin..

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Satina should be interesting..Swiss Miss will probably be the winner

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Mirza won the first set 7-5 and is 5-1 up in second set. Just a game away from victory.