Western & Southern Open - Cincinnati (Men)

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Cincinnati%20Masters%202_zpss6ah4vyd.jpg

Name: Western & Southern Open
Category: ATP World Tour Masters 1000
Place: Cincinnati, U.S.A
Date: 16.08.2015-23.08.2015
Draw Size: S-56 D-24
Surface: Hard
Defending Champion: Roger Federer

Tournament Central
Draws: Singles / Doubles

Cincy%20M%208%20Seeds%20sm_zpsk9pk3rol.jpg

Projected Quarterfinals (from top bracket down)
Djokovic vs. Wawrinka
Nishikori vs. Berdych
Murray vs. Cilic
Federer vs. Nadal

Seeds:
No. 1 Novak Djokovic (lost in final)
No. 2 Roger Federer (Champion)
No. 3 Andy Murray (lost in semifinals)
No. 4 Kei Nishikori (dropped out)
No. 5 Stan Wawrinka (lost in quarterfinals)
No. 6 Tomas Berdych (lost in quarterfinals)
No. 7 Marin Cilic (lost in 3rd round)
No. 8 Rafael Nadal (lost in 3rd round)
No. 9 Milos Raonic (lost in 1st round)
No. 10 Gilles Simon (lost in 1st round)
No. 11 John Isner (lost in 1st round)
No. 12 Richard Gasquet (lost in quarterfinals)
No. 13 David Goffin (lost in 3rd round)
No. 14 Gael Monfils (lost in 1st round)
No. 15 Kevin Anderson (lost in 3rd round)
No. 16 Grigor Dimitrov (lost in 3rd round)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Good to see Raonic out of top 8.

Is the draw out, this one does not have link yet? Just curious

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Projected Quarterfinals

Novak --- Stan
Kei --- Berdych
Cilic --- Murray
Rafa --- Fed

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
GameSetAndMath said:
Wow, we have a Fedal quarterfinal, great. :clap

You're assuming a lot! I predicted Nadal would lose to Kei so we have to wait to see who else is in their path on the way to that quarter-final! I think one or both might be gone by then; esp. Rafa being so vulnerable! :nono :angel: :dodgy:

Part of the draw is out, but qualifying doesn't start until tomorrow! Here what Wiki has so far:

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Western_%26_Southern_Open_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_Singles -

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The projected semifinal between Andy and Roger will probably decide who gets the #2 seed at USO.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Wow, we have a Fedal quarterfinal, great. :clap

You're assuming a lot! I predicted Nadal would lose to Kei so we have to wait to see who else is in their path on the way to that quarter-final! I think one or both might be gone by then; esp. Rafa being so vulnerable! :nono :angel: :dodgy:

No, Fed has a clear path. Rafa might be stopped by Milos. Also, Rafa might have to play Chardy who seems to be in form in his first match.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Interesting first round match. Kyrgios vs. Gasquet (repeat of Wimbledon QF)

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
alexander zverev won his 1st qualifier. plays denis istomin next for spot in 1st rd.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Didn't realize Murray was that close to the #2 ranking. Cincy now figures to be a bigger tournament for both Fed and Murray than a regular MS event. I was rooting for Kei tonight regardless, now I'm rooting HARD haha. If Murray wins Toronto he probably has #2 just about wrapped up probably.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
DarthFed said:
Didn't realize Murray was that close to the #2 ranking. This could be a big tournament. I was rooting for Kei tonight regardless, now I'm rooting HARD haha.

Even though I don't care for him, Murray's been the legitimate #2 with a Masters win, a couple 500's, and good results in the 3 majors played! Only points from last season and his defense of Wimbledon final keeps Roger ahead, but he will fall if he doesn't do something significant soon! Haven't checked lately, but he was as low as #6 on the point's list to YEC! :puzzled :nono :angel: :dodgy:

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Well, there is the confidence booster that Rafa has been waiting for to salvage the season...if he can make it to the quarters. Of course we are assuming Roger will be there as well.

If Roger loses at Cincy of all places to this version of Rafa, I think he should retire pronto.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
DarthFed said:
Didn't realize Murray was that close to the #2 ranking. This could be a big tournament. I was rooting for Kei tonight regardless, now I'm rooting HARD haha.

Even though I don't care for him, Murray's been the legitimate #2 with a Masters win, a couple 500's, and good results in the 3 majors played! Only points from last season and his defense of Wimbledon final keeps Roger ahead, but he will fall if he doesn't do something significant soon! Haven't checked lately, but he was as low as #6 on the point's list to YEC! :puzzled :nono :angel: :dodgy:

Roger is #4 in the YTD points I think. Murray definitely has been the 2nd best on a week-in week-out basis. Despite Stan winning a slam he hasn't been consistent enough to be ahead of Murray in YTD points. I think Roger will finish #3 this year if I had to guess.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think Murray will end the year at number 2. Djokovic doesn't even have to play the rest of the year and he has number 2 on lock. It will depend on Federer how he wants to end the year.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
huyeon chung and big kokk also join zverev into the last qualifying round on sunday.

kokk v ryan Harrison was a stormy encounter allegedly..won by kokk in 3rd set tb, ump leylandii has to rush off his chair and separate them after set one..

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
these Aussie boys are a lot of fun...did anyone see Kokkianis clown Ryan Harrison...tehehehe..they are really bringing drama to the boring pc men s tour..:clap:laydownlaughing

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Fiero425 said:
DarthFed said:

Roger is #4 in the YTD points I think. Murray definitely has been the 2nd best on a week-in week-out basis. Despite Stan winning a slam he hasn't been consistent enough to be ahead of Murray in YTD points. I think Roger will finish #3 this year if I had to guess.

For Roger (who has finished YE #1 five times) , at this stage, if he can not finish YE #1 (which is obviously beyond his reach), it does not matter whether he finishes #2 or #3 at year end. It is not a big deal.

However, it is important that he retains his #2 seeding for USO this year to give him a good chance there. Murray will be #2 in the rankings chart that will be released coming Monday. But, he may or may not be the #2 seed at USO. Assuming Murray loses in Montreal finals, #2 seed at USO goes to whoever (Fed or Murray) goes deeper at Cincy. Looking at the draw, it appears that both Fed and Murray have reasonably straightforward path to SF and so they will directly duel it out for #2 seed at USO, which is only appropriate.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Seeded singles players playing in doubles:

Stan (with Paes), Berdych (with Fish), Simon, Goffin, Monfils, Anderson.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
DarthFed said:
Fiero425 said:

For Roger (who has finished YE #1 five times) , at this stage, if he can not finish YE #1 (which is obviously beyond his reach), it does not matter whether he finishes #2 or #3 at year end. It is not a big deal.

However, it is important that he retains his #2 seeding for USO this year to give him a good chance there. Murray will be #2 in the rankings chart that will be released coming Monday. But, he may or may not be the #2 seed at USO. Assuming Murray loses in Montreal finals, #2 seed at USO goes to whoever (Fed or Murray) goes deeper at Cincy. Looking at the draw, it appears that both Fed and Murray have reasonably straightforward path to SF and so they will directly duel it out for #2 seed at USO, which is only appropriate.

Being #2 is absolutely huge for draw purposes so it is important for Roger to retain it as long as possible.