Western & Southern Open - Cincinnati (Men)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, wisdom and finesse should come with age, but physical prowess is the domain of youth, and Muzza shouldn't be getting swept aside so easy by a bloke in his dotage. Strange days indeed, but still, Andy can be happy with his two HC events. He did better here than I expected...

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
Well, wisdom and finesse should come with age, but physical prowess is the domain of youth, and Muzza shouldn't be getting swept aside so easy by a bloke in his dotage. Strange days indeed, but still, Andy can be happy with his two HC events. He did better here than I expected...

I said before the two weeks off and easy week here, he is way fresher than McToothy. Fed is always dangerous if he can keep it to two sets, even at the advanced age of 34.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Very happy with Murray's prep for the USO! Washington was a it of a letdown, but he more than made up for that with his 2nd Masters title of the year and finally defeating Djokovic. He had a rough draw with no-longer-Sugarpova-fed Dimitrov and Gasquet who was on a roll after beating the Aussie bad boys and the defending USO champ. Federer had a laughable draw and was the fresher of the two. Murray had nothing to gain with another battle to the death with Djokovic so he can now go home and rest up for the USO. Hopefully, Djokovic will win today, give Murray the No. 2 seed for the USO and then the draw gods will let Djokovic have to play Federer in the semifinals for a change. That would be perfect.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
These defeats are getting to be quite embarrassing for Murray. He had a solid H2H against Federer when he was young and Roger was in his prime. Now Roger is 34 fricking years old and he's swatting Muzza aside like its 1999. :dodgy:

What's their record since Murray's op? Has he won a single set, apart from their match in Oz?

Roger lost a bunch of matches early but has figured Murray out more as time has gone on. It was rather inexplicable that Roger would have a mediocre H2H with him to begin with. Also, Roger always won the most important matches so it was misleading to begin with.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Kieran said:

I said before the two weeks off and easy week here, he is way fresher than McToothy. Fed is always dangerous if he can keep it to two sets, even at the advanced age of 34.

While Andy is one of the fittest on Tour, I saw him getting tired several times by the end of long matches or grueling events. This back to back events ( Canada + Cincy) is a tough task to tackle in the quest to win them both.
He has had too many 3 setters here in Cincy and that does not help either. And he is already 28 as well, so he should pace himself better in order to make the most of his events.
Novak plays less events than any of the top 10 guys who are not out because of injuries ande I think that helps him to stay injury free and manage his stamina.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
herios said:
nehmeth said:
Kieran said:

While Andy is one of the fittest on Tour, I saw him getting tired several times by the end of long matches or grueling events. This back to back events ( Canada + Cincy) is a tough task to tackle in the quest to win them both.
He has had too many 3 setters here in Cincy and that does not help either. And he is already 28 as well, so he should pace himself better in order to make the most of his events.
Novak plays less events than any of the top 10 guys who are not out because of injuries ande I think that helps him to stay injury free and manage his stamina.

Does Djokovic even play in 500 or 250 tournaments anymore? I swear I have only seen him in the Slams and Masters this year. Or so it seems. Oh, there was Dubai. Seems about it.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
herios said:
nehmeth said:
Kieran said:

Novak plays less events than any of the top 10 guys who are not out because of injuries and I think that helps him to stay injury free and manage his stamina.

With Andy, it's more than "just" 3 setters he's playing; they're long grueling games involved taking 5-10 min. as well! Like Nadal, he'll never last as long as Roger doing this idiotic "counter-punching" thing! :cover :nono :angel: :dodgy:

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kirijax said:
herios said:
nehmeth said:

Does Djokovic even play in 500 or 250 tournaments anymore? I swear I have only seen him in the Slams and Masters this year. Or so it seems. Oh, there was Dubai. Seems about it.

Djokovic usually plays in 2 500 events, Dubai and Beijing. These are fixtures in his calendar.
250 events he does not play usually anymore, except he entered in Doha this year. And that was clearly not paying off. Probably he got a big paycheque because the oil rich folks there lost Roger and they would like as many top players as they can get.
If he goes there next year again, he may have signed a contract with them. But he does not really need to get a warm up, because he goes to Abu Dhabi and that is enough for him.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
herios said:
nehmeth said:

Novak plays less events than any of the top 10 guys who are not out because of injuries and I think that helps him to stay injury free and manage his stamina.

With Andy, it's more than "just" 3 setters he's playing; they're long grueling games involved taking 5-10 min. as well! Like Nadal, he'll never last as long as Roger doing this idiotic "counter-punching" thing! :cover :nono :angel: :dodgy:

That is his style. As he gets older, that is not a good strategy. It would be smart to make adjustments.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
Not at all surprised that Andy lost in straights. Hopefully Federer wins in the final.

I don't have a problem with Nole and I'm not suggesting he's faking, but how many times does it have to be that he has an 'injury' on court and ends up winning before he gets the same amount of crap for it as Murray's grabbing? Maybe we should start a thread "Which injury will Nole recover from in his US Open third round match to win?" ;)

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Carol35 said:
I knew that Feli can't do a second 'wonder' in a row, he never did and he never will :nono

What do you mean? He has beaten Rafa twice in a row now. :lolz:

You evil b*****d :D Had forgotten that stat actually.

he is keeping a list with Rafa's defeats:snicker

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
herios said:
Front242 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

He is keeping a list with Rafa's defeats. :snicker

Well in comparison to 2013, they're coming fast and furious! :p :clap :laydownlaughing :angel: :dodgy:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:
Not at all surprised that Andy lost in straights. Hopefully Federer wins in the final.

I don't have a problem with Nole and I'm not suggesting he's faking, but how many times does it have to be that he has an 'injury' on court and ends up winning before he gets the same amount of crap for it as Murray's grabbing? Maybe we should start a thread "Which injury will Nole recover from in his US Open third round match to win?" ;)

Yep, back, wrist, shoulder, upper leg, ankle, arm (chronic injury) stomach and what will be the next? maybe today he will have a new injury? poor guy, he has to suffer a lot, I don't know how he can make it :nono

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
herios said:
Front242 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

he is keeping a list with Rafa's defeats:snicker

Of course, how he can forget that? :rolleyes:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kirijax said:
Very happy with Murray's prep for the USO! Washington was a it of a letdown, but he more than made up for that with his 2nd Masters title of the year and finally defeating Djokovic. He had a rough draw with no-longer-Sugarpova-fed Dimitrov and Gasquet who was on a roll after beating the Aussie bad boys and the defending USO champ. Federer had a laughable draw and was the fresher of the two. Murray had nothing to gain with another battle to the death with Djokovic so he can now go home and rest up for the USO. Hopefully, Djokovic will win today, give Murray the No. 2 seed for the USO and then the draw gods will let Djokovic have to play Federer in the semifinals for a change. That would be perfect.

Is your memory fading? Fed and Novak have played more SFs at USO than any other round.
I hope Fed wins today (hopefully in straights) and keeps his #2 seed at USO (and Novak goes out before they could meet at USO).

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:

That is so magnanimous of you rooting for Fed. Aren't you forgetting that if Fed wins, your boy will not get #2 seed at USO?

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Kirijax said:

Is your memory fading? Fed and Novak have played more SFs at USO than any other round.
I hope Fed wins today (hopefully in straights) and keeps his #2 seed at USO (and Novak goes out before they could meet at USO).

Hope is for the weak GSM... :cry
Alas, it is all we have left.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:

It's called "playing possum", and you're certainly not the first to notice this pattern. Unfortunately, some players still fall for it, including Murray.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:

The double standards re: the treatment players get from fans, especially around these parts, is pretty common knowledge.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
TennisFanatic7 said:

It's called "playing possum", and you're certainly not the first to notice this pattern. Unfortunately, some players still fall for it, including Murray.

To be fair, Novak is also just an expressive guy, but his mood or even how he feels physically doesn't always affect his actual physical performance. That is the difference between him and Murray. Murray's play often follows his mood. It's trouble for Novak not when he's angry, but when he looks wide-eyed and not mentally there.