Western & Southern Open - Cincinnati (Men)

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
TennisFanatic7 said:
Not at all surprised that Andy lost in straights. Hopefully Federer wins in the final.

I don't have a problem with Nole and I'm not suggesting he's faking, but how many times does it have to be that he has an 'injury' on court and ends up winning before he gets the same amount of crap for it as Murray's grabbing? Maybe we should start a thread "Which injury will Nole recover from in his US Open third round match to win?" ;)

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

The double standards re: the treatment players get from fans, especially around these parts, is pretty common knowledge.

Sometimes it's a double standard. It's not that a have a problem with Andy grabbing his ankle. I don't think he does it to play possum. For Andy, it's the opposite. As soon as he starts screaming or grabbing his ankle, you know you've got him negative. It's not an act. I think it's a tick for him.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
TennisFanatic7 said:
Not at all surprised that Andy lost in straights. Hopefully Federer wins in the final.

I don't have a problem with Nole and I'm not suggesting he's faking, but how many times does it have to be that he has an 'injury' on court and ends up winning before he gets the same amount of crap for it as Murray's grabbing? Maybe we should start a thread "Which injury will Nole recover from in his US Open third round match to win?" ;)

The double standards re: the treatment players get from fans, especially around these parts, is pretty common knowledge.

Sometimes it's a double standard. It's not that a have a problem with Andy grabbing his ankle. I don't think he does it to play possum. For Andy, it's the opposite. As soon as he starts screaming or grabbing his ankle, you know you've got him negative. It's not an act. I think it's a tick for him.

I think for Murray it's become a bad habit at this point that he just can't shake off. It annoys me to an extent but I've grown numb to it.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
Well, wisdom and finesse should come with age, but physical prowess is the domain of youth, and Muzza shouldn't be getting swept aside so easy by a bloke in his dotage. Strange days indeed, but still, Andy can be happy with his two HC events. He did better here than I expected...

Physical prowess isn't exactly what Roger's game was ever built on. That's part of the reason he's still relevant now.

lacatch

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Carol35 said:
TennisFanatic7 said:

Yep, back, wrist, shoulder, upper leg, ankle, arm (chronic injury) stomach and what will be the next? maybe today he will have a new injury? poor guy, he has to suffer a lot, I don't know how he can make it :nono
Wow--pretty ironic, Carol, considering:
1. You always get on peoples' cases for dumping on Nadal;
2. Nadal hasn't played a full season since I don't know how many years
3. Nole is the ONLY one of the "big four" who hasn't had a serious chronic injury

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
lacatch said:
Carol35 said:
TennisFanatic7 said:

Yep, back, wrist, shoulder, upper leg, ankle, arm (chronic injury) stomach and what will be the next? maybe today he will have a new injury? poor guy, he has to suffer a lot, I don't know how he can make it :nono

3. Nole is the ONLY one of the "big four" who hasn't had a serious chronic injury

Why you don't read a little more (though probably you did) about what Novak said days ego about his chronic arm injury?
And yes, Nadal unfortunately hasn't played a full season for years due to a his chronic knee injury which I'm not sure if you have enough knowledge about chronic injuries and the consequences, but usually the players with that problem have to be out of the court for awhile
And hey, because the way that you attack to me it seems that your fav has been dumping by Nadal, isn't? :nono :rolleyes:

lacatch

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Carol35 said:
lacatch said:
Carol35 said:

Why you don't read a little more (though probably you did) about what Novak said days ego about his chronic arm injury?
And yes, Nadal unfortunately hasn't played a full season for years due to a his chronic knee injury which I'm not sure if you have enough knowledge about chronic injuries and the consequences, but usually the players with that problem have to be out of the court for awhile
And hey, because the way that you attack to me it seems that your fav has been dumping by Nadal, isn't? :nono :rolleyes:
I'm quite aware of Novak's arm injury, but it isn't major since he generally does quite well without being hampered by it. I'm afraid I don't understand the rest of your comments.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
lacatch said:
Carol35 said:
lacatch said:

I'm quite aware of Novak's arm injury, but it isn't major since he generally does quite well without being hampered by it. I'm afraid I don't understand the rest of your comments.

Or maybe it's more serious than you are thinking, he was figthing until the the end in every match (Montreal and Cincy) but not so sharp than usually he is
And I see....you don't understand whatever you don't want to understand, it's ok

lacatch

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Carol35 said:
lacatch said:
Carol35 said:

Or maybe it's more serious than you are thinking, he was figthing until the the end in every match (Montreal and Cincy) but not so sharp than usually he is
And I see....you don't understand whatever you don't want to understand, it's ok
No Carol that's NOT the case. I appreciate that English is not your first language and appreciate your efforts, but cannot decipher your meaning.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
lacatch said:
Carol35 said:
lacatch said:

No Carol that's NOT the case. I appreciate that English is not your first language and appreciate your efforts, but cannot decipher your meaning.

Really? don't make me laugh sir, I see that you cannot decipher my meaning but you're quick to respond my comments. Maybe English is your first language but......:laydownlaughing

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
lacatch said:
Carol35 said:

Really? don't make me laugh sir, I see that you cannot decipher my meaning but you're quick to respond my comments. Maybe English is your first language but......:laydownlaughing

Miss Carol has a point. When her so called "English" doesn't appeal to your rational then you want to attack her saying that you don't understand her meaning. So far it seems to be only an issue that is just "germane" to you. Carol clearly said earlier if you don't understand then she suggested that you should read further. I think that she is accurate but to try to attack someone because her "English" may not be her primary language is unfair and rude.. That some Cali type of reply which definitely isn't needed. Remember what Tented posted a few weeks ago from one of BB's gems, "Debate the post, not the poster." (maybe not in those words.) "The most respected person in the world is the one who is humble and can be the bigger person to "admit" when they may have been inappropriate to another" AP

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
Kieran said:
Well, wisdom and finesse should come with age, but physical prowess is the domain of youth, and Muzza shouldn't be getting swept aside so easy by a bloke in his dotage. Strange days indeed, but still, Andy can be happy with his two HC events. He did better here than I expected...

Physical prowess isn't exactly what Roger's game was ever built on. That's part of the reason he's still relevant now.

Well, his movement was/is a huge part of what his game was built on, which IMO falls under the "physical prowess" category.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Carol35 said:
lacatch said:

Miss Carol has a point. When her so called "English" doesn't appeal to your rational then you want to attack her saying that you don't understand her meaning. So far it seems to be only an issue that is just "germane" to you. Carol clearly said earlier if you don't understand then she suggested that you should read further I think that she is accurate but to try to attack someone because she "English" may not be her primary language is unfair and rude.. That some Cali type of reply which definitely isn't needed. Remember what Tented posted a few weeks ago from one of BB's gems, "Debate the post, not the poster." (maybe not in those words.) "The most respected person in the world is the one who is humble and can be the bigger person to "admit" when they may have been inappropriate to another" AP

I think we need to stick to the topic of thread and stop turning into a personal issue. I've been guilty of it too but I think there's a better way to say that you don't understand something by simply asking them to say it in another way. And some posters should stop mocking others for different opinions or not understanding something. Not so hard to do. I speak a second language too. And it's my responsibility to try and make myself understood. It's not the responsibility of the other to try to decipher what I am saying. Just ask again what they mean.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kirijax said:
the AntiPusher said:
Carol35 said:

Miss Carol has a point. When her so called "English" doesn't appeal to your rational then you want to attack her saying that you don't understand her meaning. So far it seems to be only an issue that is just "germane" to you. Carol clearly said earlier if you don't understand then she suggested that you should read further I think that she is accurate but to try to attack someone because she "English" may not be her primary language is unfair and rude.. That some Cali type of reply which definitely isn't needed. Remember what Tented posted a few weeks ago from one of BB's gems, "Debate the post, not the poster." (maybe not in those words.) "The most respected person in the world is the one who is humble and can be the bigger person to "admit" when they may have been inappropriate to another" AP

I think we need to stick to the topic of thread and stop turning into a personal issue. I've been guilty of it too but I think there's a better way to say that you don't understand something by simply asking them to say it in another way. And some posters should stop mocking others for different opinions or not understanding something. Not so hard to do. I speak a second language too. And it's my responsibility to try and make myself understood. It's not the responsibility of the other to try to decipher what I am saying. Just ask again what they mean.
Agreed and maybe a pm apology to Miss Carol is needed because she was attacked unfairly, IMO

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
lacatch said:
Carol35 said:
lacatch said:

Straight forward meaning, actually. Perhaps English isn't your first language... :dodgy:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Alright, that's enough about languages. Let's not be overly sensitive. We all come from different backgrounds and cultures. It's what makes this place what it is. We don't want to see anyone belittled or persecuted because they say to-ma-to and not tom-ato.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
britbox said:
Kieran said:

It's not wholly built on esoteric magic, either. Reflexes, hand-eye coordination, charging to the net, volleying, big serving, all these rely upon physical attributes which decay with age, not sharpen. His reactions should be declining, not pinpoint and speedy. He's conditioned very well, for an ancient old geezer. :angel:

As for Djoker, I don't think he's played great over the summer, struggled through the rounds at both events, beaten in the final each time. But reaching the final while playing poor, staving off match points, double breaks in the final set, etc, is a sign of something positive for him. But he's below the level he needs to be at if he's going to win the US Open. It's as if he's finding the physical or mental pace of the season and so much achievement is catching up on him. Murray has the win in Montreal to cosset him while he waits for the USO to start, but still, Andy can be disappointed with how he went down routinely again to Federer.

Remember we often spoke about how the big finals will be mainly between Murray and Djoker? I'm not sure that Andy is up to keeping his side of the bargain...

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
I think Roger takes care of Murray handily and actually wins the tournament.

Congrats for your predictions, you're the king of cristal ball indeed !!

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
lacatch said:
Carol35 said:

Don't worry Carol. Even native English speakers had trouble understanding a clearly written passage of Tignor. Your problems with English are nothing compared to that. :snicker

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
britbox said:
Kieran said:

It's not wholly built on esoteric magic, either. Reflexes, hand-eye coordination, charging to the net, volleying, big serving, all these rely upon physical attributes which decay with age, not sharpen. His reactions should be declining, not pinpoint and speedy. He's conditioned very well, for an ancient old geezer. :angel:

As for Djoker, I don't think he's played great over the summer, struggled through the rounds at both events, beaten in the final each time. But reaching the final while playing poor, staving off match points, double breaks in the final set, etc, is a sign of something positive for him. But he's below the level he needs to be at if he's going to win the US Open. It's as if he's finding the physical or mental pace of the season and so much achievement is catching up on him. Murray has the win in Montreal to cosset him while he waits for the USO to start, but still, Andy can be disappointed with how he went down routinely again to Federer.

Remember we often spoke about how the big finals will be mainly between Murray and Djoker? I'm not sure that Andy is up to keeping his side of the bargain...

Roger has declined significantly Kieran. One major in five years illustrates the fact... compared with 12 majors between 04 and 08. He might not have declined quickly enough for your liking but it's a fairly reasonable career trajectory. Once upon a time there was major inquisition when he dropped a set (I'm not joking).

I don't remember all our conversations about Djokovic/Murray but remember stating Federer will always be relevant until he hangs it up... he set that bar that high and had a big buffer to fall back on.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh, compared to his 24 year old self, he's declined, but for a 34 year old to dispatch the #'s 1 and 3 in straights, for him to be so spry and nimble in a sport renowned for grinding stars down to the ground, he's quite exceptionally conditioned, especially given the mileage he has on the clock. It's not an opinion, it's an observable fact. He's bucking trends in stamina and endurance. He's setting records that are remarkable. I commend him. They should donate that flesh to science when he's done with it...