Western & Southern Open - Cincinnati (Men)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
Oh, compared to his 24 year old self, he's declined, but for a 34 year old to dispatch the #'s 1 and 3 in straights, for him to be so spry and nimble in a sport renowned for grinding stars down to the ground, he's quite exceptionally conditioned, especially given the mileage he has on the clock. It's not an opinion, it's an observable fact. He's bucking trends in stamina and endurance. He's setting records that are remarkable. I commend him. They should donate that flesh to science when he's done with it...

Mileage does not depend on how many matches he won. It depends on how one wins the matches.
If you have not noticed an average service game of Roger lasts about 1 minute and 10 seconds.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
GameSetAndMath said:
Kieran said:
Oh, compared to his 24 year old self, he's declined, but for a 34 year old to dispatch the #'s 1 and 3 in straights, for him to be so spry and nimble in a sport renowned for grinding stars down to the ground, he's quite exceptionally conditioned, especially given the mileage he has on the clock. It's not an opinion, it's an observable fact. He's bucking trends in stamina and endurance. He's setting records that are remarkable. I commend him. They should donate that flesh to science when he's done with it...

Mileage does not depend on how many matches he won. It depends on how one wins the matches.
If you have not noticed an average service game of Roger lasts about 1 minute and 10 seconds.

Roger wouldn't be able to "hang" if he was slowed down and had to fight for his serve with the likes of Nadal or Nole! Could you imagine Roger dealing hour long sets the way Nole and Rafa have in the past? :cover :nono :angel: :dodgy:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Kieran said:

This is a recent innovation, and as a throwback to the old school way of playing, it's something I actually enjoy watching, because he's upsetting the dogma which says the baseline game rules - which is how he played until the last couple of years. In terms of his hit and hurry style now, I think his reflexes and reactions are like those of a spring chicken. He defies age and opponents with great gall. I'm a few years older than old Wodge, and if I ever decide to charge the net, I take a bus now instead. Less wearing on the knees! ;)

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Kieran said:

Mileage does not depend on how many matches he won.

Yes it does. Even if you win your matches swiftly enough, when you've been on the tour for 18 years, and spent the past 12 years going deep into every tournament, playing some marathons (even if your style isn't too taxing), dealing with the training, injuries, stress, and all that goes with being an elite player...that's mileage, and significant mileage at that. Roger has plenty of mileage, make no mistake about it.