• Kyrgios in 5

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Nick is
Nick just told his box that he didn't want to be out there. So it looks like bad Nicky has shown up for this one. Let's see if he really means that or he's just yapping.
Have you EVER heard a player say that? Good thing when playing singles tennis is an individual sport. I know it's nerves.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Imagine Karen Khachanov winning the U.S. Open… Not the most exciting news in tennis that’s for sure… lol
I liked his demeanor during the match,he was so relaxed.He had kinda stagnated and his peers were passing him by.This win is good for him for sure.Nick needs to go home to visit his parents,wish him all the best.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tough loss for Nick. He came in this match as a strong favourite, which I don't think worked best for him. He prefers to be an underdog, so this loss was like a cold shower to him. I just hope this loss will work in his favor and he gets even hungrier to do well on the slams.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Tough loss for Nick. He came in this match as a strong favourite, which I don't think worked best for him. He prefers to be an underdog, so this loss was like a cold shower to him. I just hope this loss will work in his favor and he gets even hungrier to do well on the slams.
I think it is a prime opportunity for anyone with Djokovic and Nadal out, so I think for anyone a loss at this point is going to hurt as a missed opportunity. I’m not sure what Djokovic is going to be able to do for 2023 with current positions not changed regarding vaccinations in Australia and the US. What Nadal will do in regard to starting a family and whether that plays into his future tennis plans.

Reactions: don_fabio

Hailz

The Tennis Kid
Reactions
Looking at some of the video of this match after seeing the first set, it seemed like this was a roller coaster match of emotion for Nick. First, it seemed he was just not there and worried about his knee or thigh and seemed depressed. Then he turned that around and started to energize a bit. Then he started to get down and a little agitated after the 3rd set it seemed. He then seemed to somehow work his way out of that and win the 4th set. The 5th set from what I saw on video he seemed like he was going to take the set and then at the end it unraveled. On the video they showed him slamming the water bottles during the changeover and then after the match him breaking his racquets.

Karen seemed to have kept focus the entire match which probably was the key for him winning this match.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think it is a prime opportunity for anyone with Djokovic and Nadal out, so I think for anyone a loss at this point is going to hurt as a missed opportunity. I’m not sure what Djokovic is going to be able to do for 2023 with current positions not changed regarding vaccinations in Australia and the US. What Nadal will do in regard to starting a family and whether that plays into his future tennis plans.
I doubt anyone around here is sparing much thought for Zverev, but I couldn't help thinking today that he must be ruing his injury more than ever, not having a chance at this USO. Not saying he would have made the most of it...he's not known for that, but I couldn't help but think.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Looking at some of the video of this match after seeing the first set, it seemed like this was a roller coaster match of emotion for Nick. First, it seemed he was just not there and worried about his knee or thigh and seemed depressed. Then he turned that around and started to energize a bit. Then he started to get down and a little agitated after the 3rd set it seemed. He then seemed to somehow work his way out of that and win the 4th set. The 5th set from what I saw on video he seemed like he was going to take the set and then at the end it unraveled. On the video they showed him slamming the water bottles during the changeover and then after the match him breaking his racquets.

Karen seemed to have kept focus the entire match which probably was the key for him winning this match.
I agree with Margaret who says that she'd never seen Khachanov play a better match. Maybe Paris/Bercy a few years back when he beat Novak in the final, but that was best of 3. Nick, yes, with a niggle, but also not used to being favored in such a big match. I'm sorry Nick couldn't pull it off, and that Khachanov came through, but it's hard to fault Karen's performance.

Reactions: Hailz

Hailz

The Tennis Kid
Reactions
I agree with Margaret who says that she'd never seen Khachanov play a better match. Maybe Paris/Bercy a few years back when he beat Novak in the final, but that was best of 3. Nick, yes, with a niggle, but also not used to being favored in such a big match. I'm sorry Nick couldn't pull it off, and that Khachanov came through, but it's hard to fault Karen's performance.
The little I saw of the match in the beginning and what I saw on the video, Khachanov just seemed to stay focused the entire 5 sets. Even after he lost a set he seemed to come back and play focused.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The little I saw of the match in the beginning and what I saw on the video, Khachanov just seemed to stay focused the entire 5 sets. Even after he lost a set he seemed to come back and play focused.
It's sort of the way I feel about Cilic winning the USO in 2014. It's not the most interesting game, but a tall guy with a big serve can play well within his strengths, stay focused and prevail. It's not that interesting, but there is a way to prevail with those tools. Not to completely diminish what it takes...you already have to be top drawer. And you have to be really focused. It's just not the tennis that I root for.

Hailz

The Tennis Kid
Reactions
It's sort of the way I feel about Cilic winning the USO in 2014. It's not the most interesting game, but a tall guy with a big serve can play well within his strengths, stay focused and prevail. It's not that interesting, but there is a way to prevail with those tools. Not to completely diminish what it takes...you already have to be top drawer. And you have to be really focused. It's just not the tennis that I root for.
I have to admit those players that have the tremendously powerful serve like Nick, Karen, Isner they all have something in their games that can help them win any match they are in. You are correct that it is not the most exciting tennis or at least not for me to watch. I would much rather watch two players scrap out a 30 stroke rally.

Nick, though from the little I saw in the match was so in and out of the match and up and down. That was the big difference I saw in the two players. Even when Karen was losing he stayed focused.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have to admit those players that have the tremendously powerful serve like Nick, Karen, Isner they all have something in their games that can help them win any match they are in. You are correct that it is not the most exciting tennis or at least not for me to watch. I would much rather watch two players scrap out a 30 stroke rally.

Nick, though from the little I saw in the match was so in and out of the match and up and down. That was the big difference I saw in the two players. Even when Karen was losing he stayed focused.
Nick has been working on his mental game, but I think we all agree he has a way to go.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nick is overall the higher level player of the two, more talent, more weapons and better hands.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The USO have issued their fines of course true to form Nick K has come in as the No 1 player who has been fined the most at $32 K, though he won $445,000, for making the QFs so that evens out a tad lol!

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I hope the 32K is tax deductible. Should be considered the cost of doing business, certainly in Nick's case.

• Haha