Not open for further replies.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
3EACA4E4-28E1-4795-8827-39E21EAAFBFC.jpeg

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I feel this year's USO is wide open, I am picking Caroline Garcia as a dark horse, even though previously she has not done well at the USO, she has been 'on fire' during the Summer and her Cinncy tournament win was impressive.
A few of the players are not happy with the 'lighter balls' they use for the woman during the US hard court series, Iga, Badosa have both come out and said dont feel they have proper control, I remember Craig Tyzer, Ash Barty's coach saying last year, he felt that Ash could never win the USO because of the lighter balls they use., interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well it appears even Keys could find her game these days vs the limit matches Serena has played.
Well we can only live in the present, Serena took awhile to heal her achilles problem, I remember year's back Kanepi had a similar problem like Serena and had plenty of time off the tour, to heal as well.
Madison had a solid in tournament in Cinncy, she was playing freely, before we get ahead of ourselves let's see how she goes with a few of her matches at the USO.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Some very tasty R1 matches:

Iga vs Paolini
Amanda vs Putintseva
Zheng vs Osta
Mugu vs Tauson
Petko vs Belinda
Emma vs Cornet
Townsend vs Siniakova
Naomi-me-me vs Banshee
Vee vs Van Uytvanck
Maddy vs Yastremka
Tan vs Bebe
Muchova vs Ajla
Kudermetova vs Vekic

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Some very tasty R1 matches:

Iga vs Paolini
Amanda vs Putintseva
Zheng vs Osta
Mugu vs Tauson
Petko vs Belinda
Emma vs Cornet
Townsend vs Siniakova
Naomi-me-me vs Banshee
Vee vs Van Uytvanck
Maddy vs Yastremka
Tan vs Bebe
Muchova vs Ajla
Kudermetova vs Vekic
Emma had a wrist problem in her practice session and had to get it taped,earlier, I would not want to face Cornet in my first round match, just ask Iga she knows what it is like to play Cornet :)

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Emma had a wrist problem in her practice session and had to get it taped,earlier, I would not want to face Cornet in my first round match, just ask Iga she knows what it is like to play Cornet :)
So does Serena and that was almost 10 years ago when she apparently had Serena's # for an entire season

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Good to see Czech player Linda Frutvitova coming through qualifiers to make the main draw, 17 year old has loads of potential.

Reactions: kskate2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Great news a wild card for Serena and Venus for the doubles....( I had a feeling they would play)
Serena and Venus together for the first time since 2014. ( doubles winners 1999 and 2009)
Also it was in NYC they made their debut in doubles in the GS, 25 years ago, (1997) ( I suddenly feel quite old )
Serena and Venus record is 14-0 in GS doubles titles.....Insane!

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just watching Serena practice her serving, just importantly Christopher Chip Rafael Nadal, love the way Chip sits patiently on the sideline of the court, I guess he has had a lot of practice :)

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Just watching Serena practice her serving, just importantly Christopher Chip Rafael Nadal, love the way Chip sits patiently on the sideline of the court, I guess he has had a lot of practice :)
A lot of people think having a great service is how hard you can hit it but it's really how well you can place and back it up with combos. Rafa's, Roger's and Novak's serves had been vastly underrated but look at their results. Nuff said!

Reactions: Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
A lot of people think having a great service is how hard you can hit it but it's really how well you can place and back it up with combos. Rafa's, Roger's and Novak's serves had been vastly underrated but look at their results. Nuff said!

Serena has the best serve in women's tennis, first and foremost it starts with the 'ball toss' Serena's ball toss is text book perfect, also she has soo much variety in her serve., indeed she has the combo to back it up.

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Serena has the best serve in women's tennis, first and foremost it starts with the 'ball toss' Serena's ball toss is text book perfect, also she has soo much variety in her serve., indeed she has the combo to back it up.
Good points.. Serena's serve at times can be a resemblance how Pete Sampras serve was . Give me a minute, because we are going to get into a bit service techniques.

The ball toss obviously gets the points started but what these two historical great champions can do is regardless of whereas the ball it's how they roll and snap their wrist is what is the cause and effect. They can go down the T or deepest to the corner without changing their foot positions. Not all great servers have this gift of brilliant disguise. Also,they can produce the hammer power flat serve, the spin aka the kick serve and the slice which the latter two have the highest percentage of placement. Let's hope that for the next forthnight that Serena can serve once again at Pete's or just as effectively Serena's highest level.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Serena and Venus will face the Czech team of Lucie Hradecka/ and teen Linda Noskova in their first round doubles match on Wednesday or Thursday.Serena and Venus faced Lucie Hradecka in their 2012 gold medal match

Last edited:

Hailz

The Tennis Kid
Reactions
Can we say wide open? Coco Gauff would be great to see her raise the trophy. I absolutely love Amanda Anisimova and would love to see her do well here. You also have last year's champ in Emma and runner up in Leylah. I don't know if they are going to repeat what they did last year, but it will be fun to see what happens. Then there is Iga who you can't forget about. What about this girl on fire, Caroline Garcia? She has to be in the mix. It is going to be exciting. Plus added to all of that the greatest women's player of them all will play her last match ever here this year.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Can we say wide open? Coco Gauff would be great to see her raise the trophy. I absolutely love Amanda Anisimova and would love to see her do well here. You also have last year's champ in Emma and runner up in Leylah. I don't know if they are going to repeat what they did last year, but it will be fun to see what happens. Then there is Iga who you can't forget about. What about this girl on fire, Caroline Garcia? She has to be in the mix. It is going to be exciting. Plus added to all of that the greatest women's player of them all will play her last match ever here this year.
Amanda has great potential and a shame her partnership ended with Darren Cahill last year,
I agree with your thoughts this year's USO is wide open.
Caroline Garcia has always been one of my favorite players on the tour, I wanted her to have a proper coach, than her father, thank goodness she did that and she has had a great Summer and is a dark horse in the USO, even though she has not done well in the past at the USO

Last edited:

Hailz

The Tennis Kid
Reactions
Amanda has great potential and a shame her partnership ended with Darren Cahill last year,
I agree with your thoughts this year's USO is wide open.
Caroline Garcia has always been one of my favorite players on the tour, I wanted her to have a proper coach, than her father, thank goodness she did that and she has had a great Summer and is a dark horse in the USO, even though she has not done well in the past at the USO
I have enjoyed Amada's tennis a lot. She is another player that when she is clicking not many can stop her. The problem is when she has too many unforced errors it all goes bonkers for her.

Caroline Garcia going into the USO has to be the hottest player on the WTA tour alongside Pera. She has to be considered someone to be a threat for this title. Her serve is out of this world.

Status
Not open for further replies.