US Open [Men], 2022 - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy if you are around Shapovalov has reconnected with Mikhail Youzhny, at least for the US Open apparently.

Reactions: kskate2

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy if you are around Shapovalov has reconnected with Mikhail Youzhny, at least for the US Open apparently.
”Reconnected” as in

0721F7B5-3A4C-480D-8649-4C351F7AD37C.gif

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I think this is a tough state draw for Rafa, actually. It’s niggly, and he’ll take a week to get up to speed again, after his absence. Rublev or Norrie in the qf, Alcaraz/Sinner/Coric potentially in the semi.

It could be tricky..
Nah..he will be AIGHT.. hopefully his fellow spains like PCB and RBA prove once again to be giant killers knock off a few of the top seeds if it's possible.. Rafa's biggest obstacle is if his child decides to make an early entrance, IMO.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Medvedev also has a good draw, I really dont expect him to play like he did at Cinncy, lost focus because of fireworks, also he needs to find his first serve again .

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Frenchman Giles ( chicken legs) Simon Grand Slam career is over after his 2nd round qualifying match today at the USO., bowing out to Matteo Arnaldi 61 36 64, I do not know if Giles will play any more tournaments this year, he said he would be retiring this year. ( I met Giles personally at a tennis tournament in Australia and yes I can confirm his legs are like 'thin sticks' still a very nice man ).
500+ Match wins
Career high No 6
2x US Open round of 16.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: kskate2 and Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
That is definitely the wrong direction. Youzhny is more unbalanced in game and personality than he is.
Apparently from what I read it is just for a trial period at the USO, I guess we will see what happens after the USO if it is to become a permanent arrangement

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Nah..he will be AIGHT.. hopefully his fellow spains like PCB and RBA prove once again to be giant killers knock off a few of the top seeds if it's possible.. Rafa's biggest obstacle is if his child decides to make an early entrance, IMO.
Hopefully! I’m never as optimistic as you are, but I look at his lack of match practice and think, it’s not so straightforward a proposition. Hopefully Xisca and the baby are fine, and he has a great tournament…

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Hopefully! I’m never as optimistic as you are, but I look at his lack of match practice and think, it’s not so straightforward a proposition. Hopefully Xisca and the baby are fine, and he has a great tournament…
I meant fellow Spaniards or countryman can help..Sure I would have preferred more match play than the earlier round upset by Borna Coric but Rafa was very confident that he will be ready and make the proper counters. Yes Rafa was rusty but give Borna Coric credit, he has an exceptional Cincy tournament from what I read . Plus Rafa should have "fresh legs" which as you know is the most important thing when "putting foot to ball". I have a feeling it's going to be Rafa vs FAA, Pegasus or Medvedev in the Finals.( Fritz's game may be a dark house.

Reactions: Fiero425 and Kieran

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I meant fellow Spaniards or countryman can help..Sure I would have preferred more match play than the earlier round upset by Borna Coric but Rafa was very confident that he will be ready and make the proper counters. Yes Rafa was rusty but give Borna Coric credit, he has an exceptional Cincy tournament from what I read . Plus Rafa should have "fresh legs" which as you know is the most important thing when "putting foot to ball". I have a feeling it's going to be Rafa vs FAA, Pegasus or Medvedev in the Finals.( Fritz's game may be a dark house.
If Rafa is going to win he needs to defeat #1 Medvedev in the final & #3 CA in the SF, that would be the best path to the trophy. Like RG better to defeat multiple (4 )top 10 players like he did at RG compared to a freebie slam Novax got at Wimbledon facing 0 top 10 opponents. Quality of opposition defeated on route to a slam is maybe going to have a say in things in the final analysis...

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
If Rafa is going to win he needs to defeat #1 Medvedev in the final & #3 CA in the SF, that would be the best path to the trophy. Like RG better to defeat multiple (4 )top 10 players like he did at RG compared to a freebie slam Novax got at Wimbledon facing 0 top 10 opponents. Quality of opposition defeated on route to a slam is maybe going to have a say in things in the final analysis...
Just to correct you a little - Novak got 2 freebie Wimbledons in a row. If anyone mentions Shapo and Berretini, they've made my day. I most probably won't have had a proper belly laugh today, until those 2 names are mentioned...

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Just to correct you a little - Novak got 2 freebie Wimbledons in a row. If anyone mentions Shapo and Berretini, they've made my day. I most probably won't have had a proper belly laugh today, until those 2 names are mentioned...

OCO, the disrespect! I'm surprised that you'd undermine Novak's last 2 Wimbledon crowns; esp. since it made 4 in a row! I guess his Fed win in '19 means nothing as well since he was considered a shell of his former self even though he had 2 MP's! Man, Djokovic will just have to wait for his achievements to be lauded decades from now because he's getting little praise from the hardcore fans of tennis now! It's sad that his numbers mean nothing, he'll have to deal with this nonsense long after he retires! Wow! Shocking! :shushing-face: :fearful-face::astonished-face::yawningface::anxious-face-with-sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.