Administrator
Reactions
Who wins? The head-to-head favors Nadal:

24A7B688-C6DB-4673-B1DB-1F7CC5D1CA43.jpeg

Reactions: AnonymousFan

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The ultimate head vs heart match-up for me. Head says Medvedev but Heart definitely tells me Nadal.

Either way, I won't be mad if Medvedev wins because he has EARNED it. As for Nadal, just fight to the end, no?

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I just want to add something too. Both players are chasing history. We all know what an AO title means for Nadal. As for Medvedev, he actually has A LOT to gain if he wins the AO title.

If Medvedev wins, here are the records he can set:

- He will be the first male player outside of the Big Four to be rank number 1 player in world
- He will be the first male player in the Open Era to win a second consecutive slam after winning the 1st slam the previous slam event
- He will deny another member of the Big Three of his 21st Slam
- *He will be the first male player ever to beat Djokovic and Nadal in a Slam final in consecutive finals.

There will be a lot of stakes on this championship match!

Reactions: Moxie and Jelenafan

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hopefully Nadal, especially after the disrespectful and disgusting way Medvedev talked to the referee in the SF.

Reactions: Fiero425

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Medvedev is clearly the favorite. The #2 seed, now finalist in the last 3 consecutive HC Majors, winning the last one, and overall his 4th HC Major in 2 1/2 years. In the words of Steven A, he's a bad Mutha on those hard courts. Complete freak in running like a gazelle at 6-6. Never thought I would see a tall guy who ran as well or better than Marat Safin but there you have it. I usually don't like using the term "inevitable" in sports, but in Medvedev we are looking even if he loses the final at an inevitable #1.

Tsitsipas rather poor service return games didn't help , so Rafa needs to do a better job than that. At this point in his career, Rafa can't play a baseline game of attrition, because as tempting as that is per Rafa's career MO, it's catnip for Medvedev's game. Rafa tends to fall into those patterns in matches but recently he's really paid the price.

Controlled aggression and variety is hard, because that is the one taking the risks. FAA tried that and it worked. IMO Rafa will need do that, mix in the groundies, use slice, drop shots , bring Medvedev in, be agressive in closing to the net when he has the opportunity, etc. The key is keeping Medvedev a little off balance. Medevev isn't the type like a Berrettini or a Tsistipas to try to blow Rafa off the court with sheer power, but if his serve is clicking he might as well, as he can just put the ball away on the second shot. Just long rallies will not do the job for Rafa, becaue he can't let Medvedev get into a groove.

Looking forward to a great final.

Last edited:
Reactions: don_fabio and Moxie

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I'm of 2 minds concerning the result of the match! There are pluses and minuses for both believe it or not! If Nadal wins, it'll help preserve Novak's #1 ranking, but pushes him over the line with 21 Majors! If Medvedev wins, I'll be just as happy of the Next Gen. making their move! Pressure would come off Novak where he can concentrate on winning a 3rd FO and 7th Wimbledon while the press goes "Gaga" over Daniil who perhaps won the last 2 Majors! :popcorn :rolleyes::astonished-face::facepalm:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This will be Rafa's 29th Major final. Not a bad ratio. I haven't looked up Djokovic or Roger, but I'm pretty sure this one is still better. Daniil is playing the tennis expected of him, as the #1 player in the tournament, but cracks in the armor have been showing, last couple of rounds. I will say again, I think what he showed against Felix will serve him in the final: he can get behind, and win; he can get to the 5th and be fresh. This is gold, for the confidence. Rafa will know what he has to do, and I expect he can execute, to some extent. In the USO final 2019, he came to net many times, and won a lot of those exchanges. If Dani gets way ahead of him, I don't think he'll win. If Rafa serves well, and troubles Meddie, he can work the head. If it comes down to the pressure, between the two of them, Rafa wins. Rafa needs to bring his best game, but so does Medvedev. I think Medvedev hasn't had so many sinks, or up until the last few rounds, but this gives me hope.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This will be Rafa's 29th Major final. Not a bad ratio. I haven't looked up Djokovic or Roger, but I'm pretty sure this one is still better. Daniil is playing the tennis expected of him, as the #1 player in the tournament, but cracks in the armor have been showing, last couple of rounds. I will say again, I think what he showed against Felix will serve him in the final: he can get behind, and win; he can get to the 5th and be fresh. This is gold, for the confidence. Rafa will know what he has to do, and I expect he can execute, to some extent. In the USO final 2019, he came to net many times, and won a lot of those exchanges. If Dani gets way ahead of him, I don't think he'll win. If Rafa serves well, and troubles Meddie, he can work the head. If it comes down to the pressure, between the two of them, Rafa wins. Rafa needs to bring his best game, but so does Medvedev. I think Medvedev hasn't had so many sinks, or up until the last few rounds, but this gives me hope.
Also, I want to add something up too: Tsitsipas actually played the first two sets very well. The way Tsitsipas was aggressive against Medvedev's defense was smart. The major problem for Tsitsipas is that his defense on HC is bad and his slice is also horrible. So, he was not really able to rally with Medvedev that much or dent Medvedev's serve.

Now, Nadal is not young anymore, but he is still a very strategic tennis player. He will definitely has to serve well and mix up his shot selection from the baseline. I know for sure Toni Nadal definitely talked to Rafa after the FAA match against Medvedev. If Tsitsipas can develop some strategy against Medvedev, then Nadal can certainly plan a good gameplan.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Nadal 4th oldest man to reach slam final in the Open Era
Rosewell,Federer,Mal Anderson,Nadal.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I was waiting for someone to notice lol!

I just wish I knew how anyone could proclaim Rafa "The GOAT" with an AO record like that? Those same people criticize Novak for having only 3 USO! At least he has 3! I'll take records of Fedovic anytime over Nadal's since theirs are more balanced! Having 13 FO's can't hide this glaring shortcoming! :zippermouthface: :rolleyes::facepalm: :-)2

Reactions: atttomole

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I just wish I knew how anyone could proclaim Rafa "The GOAT" with an AO record like that? Those same people criticize Novak for having only 3 USO! At least he has 3! I'll take records of Fedovic anytime over Nadal's since theirs are more balanced! Having 13 FO's can't hide this glaring shortcoming! :zippermouthface: :rolleyes::facepalm: :-)2

Until last year Djokovic also had only 1 FO. Federer also still has only 1 FO. Yet you guys were still saying that they are the GOATs. :zippermouthface::rolleyes::facepalm::-)2

Last edited:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Until last year Djokovic also had only 1 FO. Federer also still has only 1 FO. Yet you guys were still saying that they are the GOATs. :zippermouthface::rolleyes::facepalm::-)2

Forcing me to repeat myself! Fedovic have a more balanced resume with multiple YEC wins while Rafa's only played a couple finals! There are so many categories Nadal falls way back of Fedovic! Nadal's got the Single's OG and that's about it on them! :yawningface: :rolleyes::facepalm::popcorn:-)2

Reactions: atttomole

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am not interested In Goat Talk we can leave that for another time
I happy that Rafa has the chance at 35 and a half years young ,to win another GS title
Lets face it time is running out for Rafa.Yes I have been down to Melbourne Park to watch Rafa many times.
It will be a tough match,hopefully Rafa can come through and win..

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Forcing me to repeat myself! Fedovic have a more balanced resume with multiple YEC wins while Rafa's only played a couple finals! There are so many categories Nadal falls way back of Fedovic! Nadal's got the Single's OG and that's about it on them! :yawningface: :rolleyes::facepalm::popcorn:-)2

Nadal has at least 2 slams on each surface even without the AO this year, Federer has only 1 slam on clay. Stop embarrassing yourself... :yawningface: :rolleyes::facepalm::popcorn:-)2

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie and OneK

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have yet to see when anyone "forces" you to repeat yourself. You seem to do it quite willingly. Talk of an "unbalanced resume" for Rafa is frankly ridiculous at this stratosphere, and a cheap trope for haters, (and I don't like to use the word.) You like to pretend to be a fan of tennis, and long-time chronicler of it, but you have no respect for real tennis history if you don't value Rafa's place in it. But, hey, as you said recently, you hardly watch tennis anymore, so what do you care? It's ice-skating season, after all.

• Haha
Reactions: OneK and Fiero425