US Open, Flushing Meadows, NY USA - Grand Slam (Men)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The problem with Delpo is that he gets tired very easy but I hope if he would reach the final he would be in perfect conditions
The problem with del Potro is that he doesn't seem to have the same power or confidence that he once had, though it does come to him in fits and starts. He has no excuse for lack of conditioning. And if it comes to facing Roger, even less, as Fed spots him 7 years.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It's true that Rafa has taken the brunt of the conspiracy theories on doping, over the years, but with the resurgence of Roger this year, folks have had to confront old prejudices and theories, and the fair people are also speaking up, too. Better late than never, anyway. Just take it on the chin, Carol, and move on. Everyone is banding together against spurious drug charges and calling out them for the not just unsubstantiated, but the rather ridiculous that they are. Why not just join in? You're beating against a wall that doesn't exist, right now.
Well, I'm sick of those theories and I know from where is coming from so because I'm not hypocrite is the reason because i call them haters and idiots (of course they deserve even worse) but you know? I believe in Karma

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The problem with del Potro is that he doesn't seem to have the same power or confidence that he once had, though it does come to him in fits and starts. He has no excuse for lack of conditioning. And if it comes to facing Roger, even less, as Fed spots him 7 years.
Two wrist surgeries are bad, really bad and I'm surprised that he still can play but according to him both wrists are ok though I'm sure that he plays with fear and it can not help him too much

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, I'm sick of those theories and I know from where is coming from so because I'm not hypocrite is the reason because i call them haters and idiots (of course they deserve even worse) but you know? I believe in Karma
Yeah, but just remember you're not calling out everyone. There are plenty of good people posting here who give them no credence. You don't have to be on defensive alert all the time. Not everyone who is a Federer fan, or whatever, is a "hater" or an "idiot." Those are childish/internet-slanderish words, and it might be worth considering when you use them. The more you throw them around, the less impact they have.

Reactions: ftan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Two wrist surgeries are bad, really bad and I'm surprised that he still can play but according to him both wrists are ok though I'm sure that he plays with fear and it can not help him too much
Agreed. I think we all think he plays with a bit less confidence, overall. I have noticed that he's using the two-hander more frequently, so he seems to have more confidence in the left wrist. And the FH has more sting, too, than it has had.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yeah, but just remember you're not calling out everyone. There are plenty of good people posting here who give them no credence. You don't have to be on defensive alert all the time. Not everyone who is a Federer fan, or whatever, is a "hater" or an "idiot." Those are childish/internet-slanderish words, and it might be worth considering when you use them. The more you throw them around, the less impact they have.
Have I called everyone those names? nope, only to the ones who deserve it, of course I know there are good posters around. And again, there are better things and news to talk about but to open this thread and to start to read some ugly comments I don't think is a good entertaining and always from the same posters who are Roger's fans, what a coincidence, isn't? also I don't think is too suitable to go to that low level so there are three choices, or to ignore them or to call them names or to go and bye bye

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Have I called everyone those names? nope, only to the ones who deserve it, of course I know there are good posters around. And again, there are better things and news to talk about but to open this thread and to start to read some ugly comments I don't think is a good entertaining and always from the same posters who are Roger's fans, what a coincidence, isn't? also I don't think is too suitable to go to that low level so there are three choices, or to ignore them or to call them names or to go and bye bye
Actually, you have. And this thread is about the US Open.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Of course hypocrisy is ugly but more ugly is the people who likes to attack a player without any reason and I see it's ok to you of course if Federer is not included in those attacks, otherwise you are ready for the respond....so if you are talking about hypocrisy you are the one who should look at the mirror .......

You're just being downright silly now. Did I not say that I've never believed the PED rumors about Nadal either? I clearly did say that. These rumors never floated when they were starting out. It was only after greatness was achieved that the attacks came. That's because some people are sore losers when their favorites are surpassed or can't deliver the big wins. There's a lot of pettiness and jealousy in these accusations - and attention seeking for themselves as well. You don't see them going to the media with their accusations. They're here on fan sites talking out of their asses. If they had proof they'd go to the doping agencies. They wouldn't be writing blogs about their "feelings" and "thoughts" and rumors.

Both Federer and Nadal have stated multiple times that there needs to be more testing in tennis - randomly and even when players are out with injuries. The people who are claiming they're both doping are going to argue that that's just a front or lip service, but the reality is the sticking point has always been - who is going to pay for the additional testing. ATP and ITF drag their feet because they don't want to part with the money - millions every year - and they really don't want to know if players are cheating. It dilutes their brand to have a scandal with multiple players being banned - so they don't dedicate the necessary resources for the testing. How is that Federer or Nadal's fault if the governing bodies of their sport won't put more money into testing? That doesn't mean either of them are doping, but you cannot convince these crazy conspiracy theorists of that.

Sure, there are athletes in tennis - and every sport - who push the legal boundaries of what "doping" and PEDs are. Is it doping to sleep in a hyperbaric chamber? Some would argue that it is, although it's perfectly legal. Anything that increases the levels of oxygen in the blood is by definition "performance enhancing" and yet Djokovic has said in the past that at times he sleeps in one of these chambers that's used by divers to increase oxygen in the blood to prevent the bends when they've returned to the surface too quickly.. But on a technical level - he's not using PEDs or illegal\banned substances. Oxygen is a natural element not a manufactured chemical compound. But, do you see anyone writing crazy ass blog posts about this? I haven't.- and wouldn't read it even if they did. Technically - he's not cheating and there's no scientific evidence that what he's doing is giving him an advantage over other players. Conversely - they've all got millions and can afford their own hyperbaric chambers and are free to sleep in one as well. When Federer was asked about it he laughed and said no, he doesn't do any stuff like that.

The reason I find the whole discussion of Federer using PED's to be downright comical is that this is a guy who was - and is - known to eat candy bars while laying on the locker room floor before matches and who told Jim Courier that he "likes my treats\that's an every day occurrence" when he was about eating ice cream the night before his match at the AO this year. I don't think anybody who's eating candy bars and ice cream is going to be doing that and nullifying the effects of whatever PEDS/doping he's doing. It kind of defeats the purpose of pumping that crap into your body when you then turn around and eat junk food. So you know...I'm just not buying it with Federer. I don't know Nadal's dietary habits, but given his super competitive personality and intensity I can see how people would think he'd do anything for an extra edge. BUT - and here's the big but - when he started losing to Djokovic regularly? That was a clue that he wasn't doping because he just flat getting out-played and out-maneuvered by someone who was playing better tennis.

So there you go - I have never ever accused Nadal of doping/PEDs. Call me naive - but I just don't buy it. Federer or Murray either for that matter. The jury is still out on Djokovic's hyperbaric chamber but I don't see him pumping crap into his body either. Dude won't even eat red meat anymore for ethical reasons - but he's going to do PEDs? That just strikes me as - well...stupid.. Is that clear enough for you? I could be totally wrong about all 4 of them but I'd rather be "naive" than sitting around on a grassy knoll hatching crazy conspiracy theories about these guys that even the flat earthers would side eye. Conners played top level competitive tennis until he was 39 - and yet I don't recall anybody dedicating blog screeds (or back in those days Morse Code screeds) to any Jimmy PED theories. Ditto with Agassi who played well, with sciatica, until he was 35. He completely transformed his training regime with Gil Reyes and increased his stamina substantially AFTER age 30 - yet, I don't remember any crazy PED conspiracies about Andre either. Kareem Abdul Jabbar played center for the Lakers until he was 38 and aside from his weed habit...don't remember any crazy doping allegations against him either. Mo Farah is what - 34-35? He's practically unbeatable and this year was the first time he lost a 5,000 or 10,000 meter race since 2011. He took a public blood test in 2015 to prove he's not cheating.. You can go all the way back to Paavo Nurmi winning Olympic medals at 3.000 and 5,0000 meters in his mid-30s in 1928. There are people who are simply exceptional athletes and for some reason there's a faction of people who just cannot except that.

Last edited:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Actually, you have. And this thread is about the US Open.
Exactly, this thread is about the USO but try to go back to the thread and you will see who started to talk about PEDs and Female BodyBuilder

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Did the Fed fans and others congratulate Carol on being steadfast about Rafa’s pre US Open odds on winning the championship..Maybe it’s time to give the lady some credit

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Did the Fed fans and others congratulate Carol on being steadfast about Rafa’s pre US Open odds on winning the championship..Maybe it’s time to give the lady some credit
Nah, they never do. And if you go back to this thread you don't see many comments or vids about the final result and the winner, pity!

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions

I missed that whole convo, but she can have all the credit she wants. The fact remains - Nadal didn't have to play or beat anyone in the top 25 to win. The draw fell his way. He SHOULD have won given the draw he had - especially once Roger was out. If he hadn't won he should have retired on the spot out of sheer embarrassment for not being able to win a glorified 250 event. I used to say "500 event" but upon reflection the competition he faced wasn't even that good. Not one top 25 player. ZERO. He got lucky. No ifs, ands or buts as far as I"m concerned. Sometimes luck is more important that skill. I remember when Roger won the AO his detractors kept harping that he got "lucky" because he didn't have to play Murray because Zverev beat him the round before. Yet Murray hadn't beaten Roger in 3 years so that was a specious argument. Regardless of not playing Murray (or Djokovic) Roger still had to beat 4 current or past Top 10 players to win. Nadal not having to play Roger, or any other top 25 players, at US Open though turned his entire draw into a 250 event. Let's just say it's not going to go down in history as one of the all-time greatest Grand Slam wins.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I missed that whole convo, but she can have all the credit she wants. The fact remains - Nadal didn't have to play or beat anyone in the top 25 to win. The draw fell his way. He SHOULD have won given the draw he had - especially once Roger was out. If he hadn't won he should have retired on the spot out of sheer embarrassment for not being able to win a glorified 250 event. I used to say "500 event" but upon reflection the competition he faced wasn't even that good. Not one top 25 player. ZERO. He got lucky. No ifs, ands or buts as far as I"m concerned. Sometimes luck is more important that skill. I remember when Roger won the AO his detractors kept harping that he got "lucky" because he didn't have to play Murray because Zverev beat him the round before. Yet Murray hadn't beaten Roger in 3 years so that was a specious argument. Regardless of not playing Murray (or Djokovic) Roger still had to beat 4 current or past Top 10 players to win. Nadal not having to play Roger, or any other top 25 players, at US Open though turned his entire draw into a 250 event. Let's just say it's not going to go down in history as one of the all-time greatest Grand Slam wins.
Maybe you should direct your distain at the entire APT tour including Roger but not at Rafa and Carol because they can't control who is on the other side of the net during the tournament. Very similar to Wimbledon whereas Rafa and Sir cough drop Cilic ruined that tournament, IMO.

Reactions: Carol

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is such a tired, whiney argument, and obvious effort to diminish Rafa's most recent Major win. You can blame Roger for Rafa not having to play him, and it's rather a technicality to insist (endlessly, as you're not the first by a long stretch to make the point) that he didn't play anyone inside the top 25, considering that del Potro is a former USO champion, and better than his then-28 ranking. And then you can blame Cilic and Zverev both for being handed a cream-puff bottom of the draw and neither one could get through. I said this on another thread, but I guess the Paris masters will be downgraded to a 250, as well, unless Rafa and Roger meet in the final. I don't know what you expect when the best of the rest of the top 10 are all out with injury.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Let me not saying anything else about that subject, someone could get very mad........

Obsi

Masters Champion
Reactions
I second that question. Why bother joining a tennis forum if all you're going to do is create conspiracies about the players? Look if you had anything substantive to say then perhaps it would be food for thought, but all I've heard so far seems like fluff.

I've got an idea, join a cycling forum, have fun!

At least he is not a scumbag like you.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
No idea why I'm even bothering to reply to this childish response but I am. Why would a normal person making a normal living be a doper? Doping is for professional athletes playing sports for huge amounts of money, not normal people. Carry on living a naive life thinking all these athletes are clean and that they wouldn't try whatever they can get away with to make millions and I'll carry on realizing the truth and harsh reality that you seem happy to just brush aside even when the giveaway signs are staring you in the eye.
Fronts ..I am debating the post not You this time.. you wrote “why would a normal person making a normal living be a doper”

This isn’t true..every public gym I am a member has the same disclaimer that steroids are not allowed in locker rooms.. we all know there are tons of men and women who are not professional athletes are dopers..I would suggest that you amend your post or apologize to Miss Carol

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fronts ..I am debating the post not You this time.. you wrote “why would a normal person making a normal living be a doper”

This isn’t true..every public gym I am a member has the same disclaimer that steroids are not allowed in locker rooms.. we all know there are tons of men and women who are not professional athletes are dopers..I would suggest that you amend your post or apologize to Miss Carol

You deserve the award for the most timely response among all TF posters. :lulz2:

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'll still never get over the irony of Roger fans accusing everyone of being on steroids...except the most successful player, who's still the most successful at 37 years of age.