The Ultimate FEDAL (Wars) Thread

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think you meant 2019, not 2017. That was a dreadfully windy match, with clay blowing everywhere, getting in their eyes. I thought they should have stopped play.
In fairness, it was the 2nd semi (Djokovic v. Thiem) that had even worse conditions. I know they discussed the wind in that match, but the chair and/or tournament director said it's an outdoor tournament and they don't stop play for wind. The clay adds a different element, though, as you point out, as the surface blows up. I remember even Nadal's spinning, heavy ball got blown out of bounds a time or two, also. This post is not meant to be at all partisan. We have seen some important matches played in really rough wind, and we here have had some complaints about tournament choices. I remember an IW final Nadal v. Murray that was horribly windy, and Nadal beat Andy pretty badly, IIRC. But Murray learned something about playing in wind. If you remember the USO semis in 2012, Murray beat Berdych (who has a very high ball toss, and a flat shot) in the first SF. Wind so bad the chairs blew onto the court. Andy played the wind very smartly. Then Djokovic v. Ferrer had to be stopped and finished the next day, due to lightening. (There was a hurricane coming, and they knew it. Could have played both SFs simultaneously, was an argument we had.) Then the final, Murray d. Djokovic, was also somewhat windy, but not the only reason Murray won. Anyway, outdoor tournaments do force players to deal with many natural obstacles, like moving shadows, sun in the eyes, rain delays, etc. It's part of the tools in the tool shed to be able to adapt, physically and mentally. But sometimes you're never going to get the best match when the conditions are really rough.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
In fairness, it was the 2nd semi (Djokovic v. Thiem) that had even worse conditions. I know they discussed the wind in that match, but the chair and/or tournament director said it's an outdoor tournament and they don't stop play for wind. The clay adds a different element, though, as you point out, as the surface blows up. I remember even Nadal's spinning, heavy ball got blown out of bounds a time or two, also. This post is not meant to be at all partisan. We have seen some important matches played in really rough wind, and we here have had some complaints about tournament choices. I remember an IW final Nadal v. Murray that was horribly windy, and Nadal beat Andy pretty badly, IIRC. But Murray learned something about playing in wind. If you remember the USO semis in 2012, Murray beat Berdych (who has a very high ball toss, and a flat shot) in the first SF. Wind so bad the chairs blew onto the court. Andy played the wind very smartly. Then Djokovic v. Ferrer had to be stopped and finished the next day, due to lightening. (There was a hurricane coming, and they knew it. Could have played both SFs simultaneously, was an argument we had.) Then the final, Murray d. Djokovic, was also somewhat windy, but not the only reason Murray won. Anyway, outdoor tournaments do force players to deal with many natural obstacles, like moving shadows, sun in the eyes, rain delays, etc. It's part of the tools in the tool shed to be able to adapt, physically and mentally. But sometimes you're never going to get the best match when the conditions are really rough.
Wind and rain are one thing. Getting clay blown into your eyes is another, IMO. We’ll all survive if it’s windy or we get wet, but getting solid particles in your eyes could be very dangerous, especially at the rate it was happening that day. A gust or two of clay, yeah, whatever. But that day was unlike any I can remember on a clay court.

Reactions: Horsa

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wind and rain are one thing. Getting clay blown into your eyes is another, IMO. We’ll all survive if it’s windy or we get wet, but getting solid particles in your eyes could be very dangerous, especially at the rate it was happening that day. A gust or two of clay, yeah, whatever. But that day was unlike any I can remember on a clay court.
I don't disagree, but the part two of all of that is that a tournament wants to get through its matches. They have TV commitments and costs to consider. I'm not saying that's right, but that's what makes the decisions. We've debated against those decisions on this forum. I'll be honest and say the more fair thing would have been to have called the day on that Friday of men's SFs, in 2019, and played both on Sat., which would have left a more level field for the final on Sunday. And it DID favor Nadal, in the end. I think most of us also thought that the USO in 2012 should have played the men's SFs simultaneously on Ashe and on Armstrong, so that they could have played the final on the Sunday. But we're not tournament directors, and we don't know what goes into making the sausage, and it doesn't matter if we disagree. But that is why we have a forum...so we can complain about it. And I mean that in the nicest possible way. There have been numerous complaints about each of the past 4 Majors, including the choice to cancel Wimbledon. Frankly, I don't envy those people their jobs.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I don't disagree, but the part two of all of that is that a tournament wants to get through its matches. They have TV commitments and costs to consider. I'm not saying that's right, but that's what makes the decisions. We've debated against those decisions on this forum. I'll be honest and say the more fair thing would have been to have called the day on that Friday of men's SFs, in 2019, and played both on Sat., which would have left a more level field for the final on Sunday. And it DID favor Nadal, in the end. I think most of us also thought that the USO in 2012 should have played the men's SFs simultaneously on Ashe and on Armstrong, so that they could have played the final on the Sunday. But we're not tournament directors, and we don't know what goes into making the sausage, and it doesn't matter if we disagree. But that is why we have a forum...so we can complain about it. And I mean that in the nicest possible way. There have been numerous complaints about each of the past 4 Majors, including the choice to cancel Wimbledon. Frankly, I don't envy those people their jobs.

Yes, of course tournaments want to get through their matches, but they’re also quite used to stopping for rain (when/where needed), dealing with shuffling the schedule for walkovers and retirements, and so on. It wouldn’t have been the end of the world to have stopped those matches in 2019 because clay was blowing around so crazily the players kept hiding their faces and rubbing their eyes. It wouldn’t have been the first time RG would have moved its final to Monday. That was, as far as I recall, a unique day for clay court tennis, which merited delays, if not postponements.