Del Potro's Highest Gear: The Ultimate Tennis Colossus?

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
DJJl5NEXUAA6NFK.jpg:large

By Scoop Malinowski

Juan Martin Del Potro only infrequently shows his highest gear of tennis might. It comes and goes like the wind, for a match or two or a tournament, then it dissipates until reappearing later. The cycle has been a constant of the Argentine’s unique professional career which began in 2005.

The first burst of Del Potro greatness was at the 2009 US Open final where the 20-year-old toppled Roger Federer in five sets. Looking back, it’s hard to believe a 20-year-old could beat Federer in his first Grand Slam final but Del Potro has always been an extraordinary player.

We have seen flashes of his unbeatable level of play, the domination of Nadal in Miami and the pummeling of Djokovic at last year’s Olympics come to mind first. There were many others.

When Del Potro is at his best level, his serve is nearly impossible to play and his forehand is quite possibly the all time most potent weapon in tennis history.

Last night we saw Del Potro’s forehand make Federer look helpless for much of their four set match. It wasn’t a matter of Federer playing poorly or even slightly subpar. Federer looked superb the entire match but he was thunderstruck by Delpo’s highest gear last night and it provoked insecurity and stunning errors to crop up at key moments in the match. I believe the missed volleys and overhead at the end were caused by the extreme pressure that Del Potro’s level of ball striking put on the Federer usually rock solid psyche.

Del Potro looked unbeatable last night. Not even Federer’s finesse and trickery had any effect. Federer admitted after that Del Potro “was better.”

Though it’s impossible for anyone to prove or disprove, it could be a plausible truth that Del Potro’s best tennis is simply superior to the best level of Federer, Djokovic or Nadal. Or any player in tennis history.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm interested in hearing what others think. I don't know if I agree, but I don't strenuously disagree either. There are stretches when he plays a seemingly untouchable power game that blows anyone off the court.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Cocop is fun to watch when she's in a battle or winning a close match, love her swagger and semi arrogance and interaction with the crowd. But like last night when she is getting killed it's not very good viewing pleasure. Routs in tennis are never entertaining. Keys is nice to watch always because she has such a nice mechanical fluid power game. If she had fans like Del Potro who sang to her to inspire her, she would never lose a match or a set :)

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

shawnbm; It's possible Delpo has that extra level of power like Lendl did, which takes over and dominates the sport. Lendl overpowered McEnroe and changed the sport. Del Potro seemingly has that extra level of power which even Fed, Rafa and Djokovic are helpless to thwart.

Reactions: shawnbm

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Catherine; It was odd how after Keys on and she did her interview with Tom Rinaldi, and it looked like most seats were empty and most people have left the stadium to get on their way home. Not very good vibe and totally unlike Del Potro fans who stayed and celebrated at the BJKNTC long after he left the court. Keys and Stevens and Venus and Coco all have nice games and personalities but you wonder how much this "Four Americans in the semis" dynamic will inspire a future generation. It was a nice achievement for USA Tennis but let's hope the final is an exciting thriller. Exciting thrillers are the kinds of matches that inspire kids to play tennis.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Too late and then you have the long drive home probably through some traffic or construction too. It's always a latenight adventure driving out to the US open. Maybe matches should start earlier like 6 or 630 but that would not comply with TV I guess.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Chazz, I think Delpo is one of those players that everyone adores. But I was sitting next to a very well dressed Argentine woman during the Fed match and I noticed her body language would get sad when Fed was losing so I asked her who she was rooting for? And she answered Federer. And I asked why and she said "Because he's better." Was quite surprised to find an Argentine who preferred Fed over Delpo.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Catherine; It was odd how after Keys on and she did her interview with Tom Rinaldi, and it looked like most seats were empty and most people have left the stadium to get on their way home. Not very good vibe and totally unlike Del Potro fans who stayed and celebrated at the BJKNTC long after he left the court. Keys and Stevens and Venus and Coco all have nice games and personalities but you wonder how much this "Four Americans in the semis" dynamic will inspire a future generation. It was a nice achievement for USA Tennis but let's hope the final is an exciting thriller. Exciting thrillers are the kinds of matches that inspire kids to play tennis.

Funny thing is that even all her team members have left. When she said thanks for the team, no one was there.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

shawnbm; It's possible Delpo has that extra level of power like Lendl did, which takes over and dominates the sport. Lendl overpowered McEnroe and changed the sport. Del Potro seemingly has that extra level of power which even Fed, Rafa and Djokovic are helpless to thwart.

Lendl gets half the credit and the change in racquet technology at that time should get the remaining half.

Reactions: shawnbm and britbox

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

And that is disresepctful, they should sit there and listen to every word the boss says and observe all of her actions. Davenport texting during matches is very bad coaching etiquette.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Wow. Cori Coco Gauff wins again in straight sets. 13 yrs old beating the world's best 18 and under at the US Open junior girls event. Stay tuned for my Biofile with Cori...

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

There is no doubt when a player increases his intensity and emotional adrenaline and fist pumps with fury it helps the player reach a higher level of performance. Anderson is proving it. I'd like to see Gasquet and Berdych sign up for my workshops :) How do you like Nadal's intensity and lion roaring after huge points? Nadal looks quite possibly the most intense he has ever been. he said after the match to Tom Rinaldi his "passion" is still there fueling him. As much as Anderson may want this US Open title I think Nadal will have more passion and greater intensity but let's see.

Reactions: Moxie

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Didn't see the F yet busy with other things and worrying about Irma hitting Bradenton FL where I have a small apartment. Sloane always was a future champion potential player since that infamous Serena spat about five years ago. She went into a Djokovic like tailspin for a few years following the Serena spat but now she has returned from surgery with Serena absent and finally fulfilled her star potential. Not sure if she could have done it were Serena not pregnant. Keys either choked or was hampered by the leg injury or possibly something else. Will watch the tape of the final later. Pray for Florida.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Thanks Hartt aned Catherine: We are all waiting and watching anxiously. There are so many academies and players based in south Florida that this storm will surely have a negative affect on the sport. The damages will be catastrophic.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

jg: I think Sloane and Keys were closer then Andre and Jim were back then :) The hugs at the handshake were considerably warmer yesterday.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Thanks Duke, Nola is a long drive from Sarasota, I did it once. One of my tennis friends fled to Alabama :)Both finals were rather anti-climatic though Hingis and Chan winning the doubles was a very nice match. First major for Chan in five tries. Hingis winning two more major titles in doubles and mixed for 25 total has to be the story of the tournament or Rafa notching his third US Open and 16th overall major at 31. They all said his body would be broken down by mid to late twenties. Boy were they wrong.