The Slam Race - Who are you Buying/Selling?

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Use this thread to discuss who you see or don't see winning slams?

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Would love the Russian to win it in Melbourne some day.

Reactions: tossip

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Meddy and Sinner have one and Carlos has two. It could prove interesting. Dominic (1) looks to be done

Reactions: kskate2

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Meddy and Sinner have one and Carlos has two. It could prove interesting. Dominic (1) looks to be done
Domi can only watch and learn at this point. Tits and Zed are done too. Now we wait to see who else from the new crop will write their name on this list.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Domi can only watch and learn at this point. Tits and Zed are done too. Now we wait to see who else from the new crop will write their name on this list.
I actually think there's still a chance Zverev wins a slam. Remember how he was doing against Nadal at RG. He often plays like a total beast. Needs to avoid 5 setters just like Medvedev and who knows. I could see him challenging at RG in future in fact. Still young. Immense power and big serve and he's done really well tbh after coming back from his injury.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I actually think there's still a chance Zverev wins a slam. Remember how he was doing against Nadal at RG. He often plays like a total beast. Needs to avoid 5 setters just like Medvedev and who knows. I could see him challenging at RG in future in fact. Still young. Immense power and big serve and he's done really well tbh after coming back from his injury.
We'll have to disagree there. I thought this was a good opportunity for him this slam w/ no Djoke in the way and he just couldn't duplicate what he did against Charlie. You can't waste these opportunities when they present themselves. When will the top 2 seeds be booted out of a slam by the SF paving the way for someone to earn their maiden slam? Normally you have to go through both of them to claim one. There is some mental block there preventing him from playing his best when it absolutely matters.

Reactions: Moxie

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
We'll have to disagree there. I thought this was a good opportunity for him this slam w/ no Djoke in the way and he just couldn't duplicate what he did against Charlie. You can't waste these opportunities when they present themselves. When will the top 2 seeds be booted out of a slam by the SF paving the way for someone to earn their maiden slam? Normally you have to go through both of them to claim one. There is some mental block there preventing him from playing his best when it absolutely matters.
Well, in fairness Sinner couldn't duplicate how he played against Djokovic either and won 'cos of Medvedev's fatigue. If Medvedev wasn't so passive in the latter half of set 3, this would've gone the other way. Zverev is definitely far, far better at 3 setters than he is at 5.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, in fairness Sinner couldn't duplicate how he played against Djokovic either and won 'cos of Medvedev's fatigue. If Medvedev wasn't so passive in the latter half of set 3, this would've gone the other way. Zverev is definitely far, far better at 3 setters than he is at 5.
Front the hardest thing to do is to close out an opponent in a tennis match. Yes best of 3 is tough but best of 5 is extremely extraordinary difficult as you know.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nice! Glad to wake up to this. Jannik is such a humble, sweet kid (or so it seems). More to come.

I don't like seeing Medvedev lose, though - he's so chill and with a great sense of humor. He is a MUCH better player than Cilic, who is really more in the Berdych/Tsonga level - a very good, second tier player, who had an opportunity and seized it (and played an amazing Slam in 2014, on a level that Berdych/Tsonga never did).

El Dude..how about a statistical analysis on the GS finalist that have blown an 0-2 lead. How have they fared afterwards?
I can look into it. I do think Medvedev will win another Slam, maybe two. The field is more open now. Even though Carlos and Jannik are looking like true multi-Slam champions going forward, I don't see them blocking the way like Novak/Rafa/Roger - at least not as fully. Also, while I didn't watch the match (sleeping), my sense is that it wasn't a huge heart-breaker - at least not to the degree that it will impact Daniil going forward. He kind of already had his big heartbreaker a couple years ago to Rafa and struggled back up. Hasn't won another Slam yet, but I think he will.

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
Fair or not, Medvedev needs to win a 2nd (maybe even a 3rd) slam if he wants to be viewed as the Wawrinka of this decade, rather than the Cilic.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Who would have thought that Sinner would win a slam before Berrettini.It is sad how Berrettini has fallen off .He was the face of Italian men tennis.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Who would have thought that Sinner would win a slam before Berrettini.It is sad how Berrettini has fallen off .He was the face of Italian men tennis.
Injuries sad to say with Matteo, though I always thought Jannik had more Up side to his game than Matteo

Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes, he would be like a boss if the 3 of them ever sit together to discuss 2 sets up issues, he knows how to win a slam, but also knows how to lose more than the other two. :)
Can you really see that those 2 Zverev and Stef will ever win a GS? honestly