The Rankings Thread (ATP)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Haha.

What do you guys think about Alex De Minaur?
I like him. I think he’s limited in terms of how high he can go but I like his attitude. For me, that’s the main metric of how I decide who I like. I think he’s honest. Andy Murray hates him, which is a compliment to him..

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
I like a bunch of players.

I like Nick Kygrios' creativity and Shapovalov's improvisation.

My man Roger Federer is retired now so I am not emotionally invested anymore.

Congrats to Novak Djokovic for having ousted most tennis records. I just googled him up after a long time (I didn't follow tennis for a long time) and his records seem incredible.

Reactions: Fiero425 and Kieran

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I like him. I think he’s limited in terms of how high he can go but I like his attitude. For me, that’s the main metric of how I decide who I like. I think he’s honest. Andy Murray hates him, which is a compliment to him..
If De Minaur were a dog, he'd be a golden retriever. If he were a cow, he'd be De Manure.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I feel this way about FAA. I tried to be a fan of his, but for whatever reason, he failed to improve.
I'm not giving up on FAA. I saw some positive vibes with his play in mid to late October ..I think he was pissed he didn't advance further in Paris

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm not giving up on FAA. I saw some positive vibes with his play in mid to late October ..I think he was pissed he didn't advance further in Paris
Reading a translation of an article from FAA yesterday he was saying , 'the goal for 2024 is for Toni to be more present', players improve and develop at their own pace, not ours, hopefully 2024 will be a better year than 2023.,FAA was plagued by injuries in 2023.

Last edited:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I'm not giving up on FAA. I saw some positive vibes with his play in mid to late October. ..I think he was pissed he didn't advance further in Paris.

I feel for you! I'm sure he's a nice enough guy, but players like FAA, Tiafoe, Fritz, De Minaur & others are just solid, top players with no real gifts or skills to put them "above the fray" like an Alcaraz, Rune, Medvedev, or Sinner! :fearful-face: :yawningface: :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafael Nadal started the week ranked 672. He's currently 451 in the live rankings, after 2 matches. Mover of the week!

If he beats Thompson, he gets to around 248. If he wins the tournament, he gets to about 215. I think. I have no practice at watching players ranked so low moving up so fast. But now I start to see how he gets to the YE Top 10 with nothing to defend. @the AntiPusher

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Rafael Nadal started the week ranked 672. He's currently 451 in the live rankings, after 2 matches. Mover of the week!

If he beats Thompson, he gets to around 248. If he wins the tournament, he gets to about 215. I think. I have no practice at watching players ranked so low moving up so fast. But now I start to see how he gets to the YE Top 10 with nothing to defend. @the AntiPusher
Yeah, it is all about health. Remember how sub-par he was in 2015-16 and he still finished 5th and 9th, respectively. He played a ton of events those years - especially in 2015 (23!) - but the point being, even Rafa at the lowest point of his career was basically David Ferrer. I think this year will be different - if healthy, he'll probably play a latter-day Federer-esque schedule, maybe a dozen events, plus or minus a couple. I don't know what his schedule is, but this sounds about right. Meaning, a goal of 14 events--all Slams, the Olympics, 6 Masters, 2 ATP 500s, 1 ATP 250--but modifying downward to 10-12 if necessary.

But in terms of how quickly he can rise, at the AO a fourth round result gets him into the low 200s; QF gets him into the top 150; SF gets him to the 60s; F gets him into the top 30; a W gets him into the top 20.

If we take a moderate approach and say he loses in the QF or SF, then he goes into the Sunshine Double in the 60ish to 140ish range. Just a QF/SF at the Double gets him somewhere in the #30-60 range to start clay season, at which point he has 3 Masters and 1 ATP 500 before Roland Garros. If he gets about 2000 points in some form or fashion at those four, he's somewhere in the #10-20 range before Roland Garros.

Of course we'll just have to see how it plays out. The key, obviously, is health. I imagine his priorities in tiers are:

1. Roland Garros
2. Other Slams, Olympics
3. Clay Masters
4. Barcelona
5. Hardcourt Masters
6. Dubai

I'm guessing that he'll play it safe at the AO and not jeopardize the rest of his season. He won't want to be tentative, but he also won't go into nuclear mode to try to win no matter what. More so for the next three tournaments, and then a gradual ramp-up during clay season.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, it is all about health. Remember how sub-par he was in 2015-16 and he still finished 5th and 9th, respectively. He played a ton of events those years - especially in 2015 (23!) - but the point being, even Rafa at the lowest point of his career was basically David Ferrer. I think this year will be different - if healthy, he'll probably play a latter-day Federer-esque schedule, maybe a dozen events, plus or minus a couple. I don't know what his schedule is, but this sounds about right. Meaning, a goal of 14 events--all Slams, the Olympics, 6 Masters, 2 ATP 500s, 1 ATP 250--but modifying downward to 10-12 if necessary.

But in terms of how quickly he can rise, at the AO a fourth round result gets him into the low 200s; QF gets him into the top 150; SF gets him to the 60s; F gets him into the top 30; a W gets him into the top 20.

If we take a moderate approach and say he loses in the QF or SF, then he goes into the Sunshine Double in the 60ish to 140ish range. Just a QF/SF at the Double gets him somewhere in the #30-60 range to start clay season, at which point he has 3 Masters and 1 ATP 500 before Roland Garros. If he gets about 2000 points in some form or fashion at those four, he's somewhere in the #10-20 range before Roland Garros.

Of course we'll just have to see how it plays out. The key, obviously, is health. I imagine his priorities in tiers are:

1. Roland Garros
2. Other Slams, Olympics
3. Clay Masters
4. Barcelona
5. Hardcourt Masters
6. Dubai

I'm guessing that he'll play it safe at the AO and not jeopardize the rest of his season. He won't want to be tentative, but he also won't go into nuclear mode to try to win no matter what. More so for the next three tournaments, and then a gradual ramp-up during clay season.
Totally agree that he has to go with the conservative schedule, and I like your list, though why Dubai? Anyway, this also helps me for your YE Top 10 game. I may rethink it. :)