Djokovic about to pass Nadal on the GOAT rankings

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Didn't think it was possible a year a go, but it's looking more and more like Djokovic is getting ready to pass (or has already passed) Nadal in many of the major categories. Their 2016 season will be very interesting.

CUcwjV_UAAAbvgk.jpg:large

Reactions: Fiero425

Great Hands

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
As you say, 2016 will be a key year for both guys. Novak will be trying to make hay while the sun shines, pushing hard for all the records. And we'll have to see if the off-season can be the game changer for Nadal that it was for Roger in 2013 and Murray in 2014. 2016 will tell us a lot about both Rafa's and Novak's legacies, I think. Interesting times ahead...:popcorn

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
He's still got a long ways to go. If they finish tied in slam total and Nole wins a French then I'd give him the nod. If Nole doesn't win a French then it's a debate even if he ends up with 1-2 more slams than Rafa.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
DarthFed said:
He's still got a long ways to go. If they finish tied in slam total and Nole wins a French then I'd give him the nod. If Nole doesn't win a French then it's a debate even if he ends up with 1-2 more slams than Rafa.

Agreed. He needs that French Open title. But if he gets that he'll be passing Nadal for sure.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It seems only a matter of time. When all is said and done, the only categories in your list that Rafa will still own, in my opinion, are French Opens, Davis Cups, and the H2H over Federer (Novak will win the H2H against Roger, but not as lopsided as Rafa).

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well if Novak can get that French and singles gold, Roger remains without a singles gold and Nadal remains without a WTF title then he will have a leg up on Nadal and accomplished something Fed didn't. 2016 and 2017 will be the years he needs to really make those pushes. I think he can pass Nadal, but he needs to win 3 slams next year, and he definitely needs to push for that French while Nadal is still out of sorts.

Ilovetennis2

Club Member
Reactions
Unless I'm mistaken, Djokovic doesn't have an Olympic medal. I believe delpo won their bronze match.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Novak got the Bronze in 2008, so technically he has a medal.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think that leaving the wishes out it would be more smart to wait three or four more years to see who pass to whom. The future results will be on their game and confidence (and without injuries) and not because our wishes :cool:
It's' clear that Novak has had an excellent year, he haven't lose any opportunity to be the best, first because he has been very consistent and second because the inconsistency of his opponents
But my question is, will he keep the same consistency and confidence if the opponents would start to play better and better been tired to play crap and he will start to complain to his box, breaking the rackets and he will have to try something else like he did after 2010 and 2013 to keep his present "supremacy and complex of superiority" to his opponents?
Hmm, nothing is forever, the bad and neither the good times ;)

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kirijax said:
Didn't think it was possible a year a go, but it's looking more and more like Djokovic is getting ready to pass (or has already passed) Nadal in many of the major categories. Their 2016 season will be very interesting.

CUcwjV_UAAAbvgk.jpg:large

He "wil be" lead is to say too much, we'll see....I would removed 6 of those 'check' :p

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Funny how we allowed Sampras to remain at the top of the GOAT ladder and never even played a FO final! I don't think Nole needs it; just a want/desire to complete the CGS! All the Masters records will belong to him in full within a year or 3! There's really no one out there that challenges him on a consistent basis! If people are hoping for another act by Roger, better get ready for disappointment! He can only hold on for so long! Sooner or later the "young bloods" will "gain some nads" and finish off the old man! He's still the GOAT for now, but Nole will challenge most of those records he holds before all is said and done; believe it! :ras: :rolleyes: :cover

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Great Statistics, However At this point only one thing matters, #17 &18... That's is the primary unit of measures, the Grand Slam totals..

By the way, you left out Career GS, Rafa is only on AO title from making that accomplishment twice :clap

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Great Statistics, However At this point only one thing matters, #17 &18... That's is the primary unit of measures, the Grand Slam totals..

By the way, you left out Career GS, Rafa is only on AO title from making that accomplishment twice :clap

Making the loss to Stan in 14' final all the more frustrating.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
For my generation series I use a formula that accounts for three broad areas: Slam results, everything from wins to 2R appearances; titles, with extra points for Masters and World Tour Finals; and rankings, with points for different tiers (#1, top 5, top 10, etc), as well as weeks at number one. Anyhow, through 2015 Rafa has a very slight edge. They are very close with ranking points, with Rafa still having a solid edge in Slam results but Novak having the edge in non-Slam titles. I figure that Novak can pass Rafa in this formula as soon as the AO, depending upon the result.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
El Dude said:
For my generation series I use a formula that accounts for three broad areas: Slam results, everything from wins to 2R appearances; titles, with extra points for Masters and World Tour Finals; and rankings, with points for different tiers (#1, top 5, top 10, etc), as well as weeks at number one. Anyhow, through 2015 Rafa has a very slight edge. They are very close with ranking points, with Rafa still having a solid edge in Slam results but Novak having the edge in non-Slam titles. I figure that Novak can pass Rafa in this formula as soon as the AO, depending upon the result.

Of the Fedalovic Trifecta, Djokovic was naturally always the No. 3 guy, but suddenly Nadal is looking like the No. 3 guy as Djokovic passes him and begins his assault on Federer's records. Incredible.

BIG3

Futures Player
Reactions
DarthFed said:

If Nole ends up with 1-2 more slams than Rafa, French Open won't be deal breaker at all.
If Nole catch up with Rafa in slam count, even without FO, my vote still goes to Nole, due to his huge lead in year end #1, weeks as #1 and WTF.

BIG3

Futures Player
Reactions
What makes Nadal so amazing and his fans so proud
1. He defended his own turf, defeated numerous attacks from Nole and Fed in FO.
2. He conquered Fed's turf in WIMBLEDON08, AO09, Nole's turf in USO13.

Splash of brilliance goes to Nadal and consistency goes to Nole. Fed has both.

Even IF Nole can break Fed records in slams and #1 weeks, his first 10 slam didn't have convincing dominance through the whole tournament, so different from Fedal.

• Haha

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
BIG3 said:
What makes Nadal so amazing and his fans so proud
1. He defended his own turf, defeated numerous attacks from Nole and Fed in FO.
2. He conquered Fed's turf in WIMBLEDON08, AO09, Nole's turf in USO13.

Splash of brilliance goes to Nadal and consistency goes to Nole. Fed has both.

Even IF Nole can break Fed records in Slams and #1 weeks, his first 10 didn't have convincing dominance through the whole tournament; so different from Fedal.

I'm pretty sure Nole can catch up to Roger's tenure at #1, but I'm going to be a little withholding and just hope he can gain enough in the next few years of GS titles to at least surpass Nadal! :nono :angel: :dodgy: :p :ras: