The Rankings Thread (ATP)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW with Casper Ruud's loss in the 3rd round in Toronto, Rune will be the new world No 5, new career high. ( when the new rankings come out Monday 14th August)

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
ATP Top Ten Monday 14th August,

1. Alcaraz
2. Djokovic
3. Medvedev
4. Tsitsipas
5. Rune NCH
6. Sinner NCH
7. Ruud
8. Rublev
9. Fritz
10. Tiafoe

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
New Career Highs on ATP Top 100 ( Monday 14th August)

5. Rune
6. Sinner
12. De Minaur
13. Paul
23. Davidovich
25. Griekspoor
43. McDonald
47/ Vukic
61. Arnaldi
82. Marozsan
90. Watanuki

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Its like the early fall Novak has the advantage becase he has 0 points to defend ( No NA Masters or USO) but in the late fall/earlywinter he has 1800 points to defend (YE win, Paris Masters finals) where Alcaraz has not much.

The Asia swing back this year with the Shanghai Masters makes things interesting

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I talked about it earlier but there’s looming a real battle for the # 4 ranking before the USO. The 4th place is huge because it’s the potential difference between meeting Alcaraz, Novak & Medvedev in the qtrs as opposed to the Semis at Flushing Meadows.

Here are the players ranked # 4 through # 8 as of this Monday with their points. I’ve put in parentheses the points #5-# 8 are out of 4th place:

4. Ruud 5005
5. Tsitsipas 4850 (-155)
6. Rune 4825 (-180)
7. Rublev 4525 (-480)
8. Sinner 3975 (-1,030)

Now are the points each is “defending” between here and the USO:

Ruud 620
Tsitsipas 610
Rune 100
Rublev 415
Sinner 430

Highly improbable Sinner can reach #4, even say his winning the 2 NA Masters the rest would all have to crash & burn, so realistically it’s one of the other 4.

I believe Rublev & Ruud are playing this week.
If Casper Ruud doesnt win this week’s Swedish Open defending 250 points at best (ergo he makes it all the way to the final) retains 4th but he’s in a virtual tie with Tsitsipas & Rune with only 30 points between. Not reaching the final he slips to 5th or even 6th in the ranking.

Obviously on paper Holger Rune has the best shot, he plays Umag (250) next week while Tsitsipas plays Los Cabos (250). If any of these guys can snag a Masters (1000 points) it makes life easier. Wouldn’t discount beautiful hair ( Rublev) because he is the kind of steady, consistent player who could win a 250 & make the SF’s or Finals of the Masters.

Ruud has a tough row to hoe, as he also has a boatload of points to defend from the USO onward to the end of the season.

Tsitsipas is more than capable of catching fire of course.

Inexplicably though Stefano has a horrible track record at the USO , never gotten past the 3rd round. So if he snags the #4 by then that would be interesting.
So it’s down to Tsitsipas to determine the No. 4 seed.

IMG_3610.jpeg

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tsitsipas out of Cincinnati, so Rune will be No. 4 going into the US Open. Now we have to see about his back. I know he has his detractors, but personally I hope Rune is healthy and ready to go in New York.
Yes the back is cause for concern, after Wimbledon that exhib Hopman Cup he did not look right at all and I hate to see the kid struggling already with a chronic back issue so young. : (

On a ranking note, I believe this is the first time in the Open Era that two 20 year-olds (Alcaraz & Rune) are ranked in the top 4 simultaneously.

Both Becker & Edberg won Slams as teens but ranking wise before age 21 they were top ten, but not top four at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fiero425 and tented

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am hoping that Rune's back won't flare up while playing the US Open. Also, he really needs to take a break after the US Open. Yes, he is defending a lot points during the indoor season, but he needs prioritize his health before he gets more small injuries while he is young.

Reactions: tented

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Has this EVER happened before?? Djokovic’s win in Cinci puts him within 20 points of Alcaraz. And since he did not play the USOpen last year, if he wins his first round match he will return to #1 the second Monday of the Slam. :slap: Exciting times in tennis 2023.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
ATP Top 10 Monday 21 August,

1.Alcaraz
2. Djokovic
3. Medvedev
4. Rune (+1)
5. Ruud (+2)
6. Sinner
7. Tsitsipas (-3)
8. Rublev
9. Fritz
10. Tiafoe

Movers of the week,
Rune 4 +1
Zverev 12 +5
Popyrin 40 +18
Purcell 47 +23

Notable Top 100 Movers,
No 17 Hurkacz
No 21 Davidovich Fokina +2
No 23 Mannarino +9
No 24 Jarry +2
No 39 McDonald +4
No 52 Lajovic +14
No 65 Luca Van Assche +3
N0 71 Moutet +6
N0 84 Schevchenko +4

Last edited:
Reactions: tented

tented

Administrator
Reactions
ATP Top 10 Monday 21 August,

1.Alcaraz
2. Djokovic
3. Medvedev
4. Rune (+1)
5. Ruud (+2)
6. Sinner
7. Tsitsipas (-3)
8. Rublev
9. Fritz
10. Tiafoe

Movers of the week,
Rune 4 +1
Zverev 12 +5
Popyrin 40 +18
Purcell 47 +23
Tsitsipas has taken quite the fall. Just a few months ago, he was No. 3, with the possibility of becoming No. 1.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Tsitsipas has taken quite the fall. Just a few months ago, he was No. 3, with the possibility of becoming No. 1.
Mark P is his new coach, dad is not around at present, ( lets hope that is full time) lets see if he can improve his ranking for the rest of the season

• Wow
Reactions: nehmeth

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Mark P is his new coach, dad is not around at present, ( lets hope that is full time) lets see if he can improve his ranking for the rest of the season
Wish he’d get an excellent coach that could get the best from him, not the family friend. Mid twenties and not much time left to turn things around.

Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Wish he’d get an excellent coach that could get the best from him, not the family friend. Mid twenties and not much time left to turn things around.
Well even when Mark was around as Stef's coach with his dad, to me, nothing changed, agree mid twenties, not a lot of time to turn things around.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The other person who may be at a crossroads at age 23 is this forum’s one time Golden Boy FelixAA.

He’s dropped to 15th in the ranking and has a bucketload of points to defend this fall. Won like 3 tournaments last year after the USO plus made the ATP YE in Torino so he could conceivably drop out of the top 20 if his free fall continues. : (

This regression is no doubt partially due to his injury woes ( the knee) but something is definitely off.
Of course a good showing at the USO could jumpstart him.

Last edited:

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
The other person who may be at a crossroads at age 23 is this forum’s one time Golden Boy FelixAA.

He’s dropped to 15th in the ranking and has a bucketload of points to defend this fall. Won like 3 tournaments last year after the USO plus made the ATO YE in Torino so he could conceivably drop out of the top 20 if his free fall continues. : (

This regression is no doubt partially due to his injury woes ( the knee) but something is definitely off.
Of course a good showing at the USO could jumpstart him.
FAA was at the crossroads last year. I was rooting for him to take the next step for years, but I finally saw the light at some point earlier this year. I realized that he just doesn't have what it takes to become elite and that he has likely reached his ceiling.

If you ask me who is at the crossroads now, it's Jannik Sinner. 12 months from now, we'll either be talking about Sinner as a slam winner and the chief rival to Alcaraz or as the next Tsitsipas/FAA.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yes the back is cause for concern, after Wimbledon that exhib Hopman Cup he did not look right at all and I hate to see the kid struggling already with a chronic back issue so young. : (

On a ranking note, I believe this is the first time in the Open Era that two 20 year-olds (Alcaraz & Rune) are ranked in the top 4 simultaneously.

Both Becker & Edberg won Slams as teens but ranking wise before age 21 they were top ten, but not top four at the same time.
Actually, both Becker and Edberg were in the top 4 at the same time as 20 year olds, and even top 3 at one point - in late 1986.