'The Davis Cup should not become the Piqué Cup' - Federer

luvsports!

Club Member
Reactions
"For us tennis players it's a bit strange to see a soccer player come into our world. He should be careful. The Davis Cup should not become the Piqué Cup" -- Federer on Gerard Piqué, according to Swiss news reports.

Interesting stuff. I agree! Do you?

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
Interesting indeed. One might think Fed should not care because he's likely not to play DC anyway (he's won it once and does not need to bother any more, old or new format), however here is the tricky issue for him: if he wants to play Olympics 2020 he should do some community service in Swiss DC, and DC 2019 would be the ideal time for it... Yet, pesky Gerard wants to make Fed life difficult by clashing DC and LC...
I smell a political game may be going on here. But I think Fed, with his position in this sport has the right to express his disapproval of such game, it if comes to it.
So I am fully on Fed side, that "l'ATP, l'ITF et les organisateurs de la Laver Cup se retrouvent pour discuter autour d'une table". (emphasis mine)
Piqué, mon ami, ecoutez s'il vous plait!

Last edited:

luvsports!

Club Member
Reactions
Good post. I never thought about that!
I don;'t like this power grab though.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
I agree with Federer on this. I can't imagine a tennis player making mess in football, the way they allowed Pique about Davis Cup.