Davis cup 2019 Qualifying Ties

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The new look Davis Cup is in progress now. The one i'm interested is Australia taking on Bosnia-Herzegovina as it's being held in my hometown Adelaide (where we are experiencing yet another heatwave here). Aussies have already won the tie and will be in the 2019 Davis Cup finals in Madrid on November. I attended the opening day yesterday (Friday) but did not go today. Too bloody hot here now.

https://www.daviscup.com/en/home.aspx

Last edited:

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Davis Cup will be one week only to be held in Spain this year in November.
18 teams/countries will be involved.
All Davis cup matches reduced to best-of-3 tiebreak sets.
All 5 Rubbers played over two days now.

The changes are supposed to entice more of the big name stars back to playing and represent their countries. Whether it will be supported by the players is another thing.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

The changes are supposed to entice more of the big name stars back to playing and represent their countries. Whether it will be supported by the players is another thing.

How are the 18 teams selected?

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Good question. Some are already qualified according to how the finished last year. The rest will be determined by this weekend's results.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

That is useful to know, about the 5 rubbers being played over 2 days. I was confused.

Reactions: Vince Evert

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That is useful to know, about the 5 rubbers being played over 2 days. I was confused.

What do you reckon Mox, will the new look Davis Cup be supported by the big stars, including Nadal ?

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
The new look Davis Cup is in progress now. The one i'm interested is Australia taking on Bosnia-Herzegovina as it's being held in my hometown Adelaide (where we are experiencing yet another heatwave here). Aussies have already won the tie and will be in the 2019 Davis Cup finals in Madrid on November. I attended the opening day yesterday (Friday) but did not go today. Too bloody hot here now.

https://www.daviscup.com/en/home.aspx
That sounds good. Do you want me to send you some snow? I'd love to hear more about your heat. Just thinking about your heat might warm me up. It's been that cold the last few days I haven't been able to get warm despite wearing fleeces, getting wrapped up in blankets & drinking lots of hot drinks. It's freezing here. We've had frost, fog & snow & it's colder than it's ever been. Then I had to read about the poor Americans. Their temperatures are even colder (-40 degrees C last time I heard). I wonder how they're keeping warm.

Horsa

Reactions

I guess Britain won't be in the running.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The serie Hewitt & Tomic continues............

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I doubt very much the Top Players in their respective nations will play this event ,seeing it will be held in November.

In regards to Tomic and the ongoing feud with Hewitt and Tennis Australia he has brought this on himself.Tennis Australia bent over backwards in his early career to support him,Tomic has always had a sense of 'entitlement'.I wish he would just go away period.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I doubt very much the Top Players in their respective nations will play this event ,seeing it will be held in November.

In regards to Tomic and the ongoing feud with Hewitt and Tennis Australia he has brought this on himself.Tennis Australia bent over backwards in his early career to support him,Tomic has always had a sense of 'entitlement'.I wish he would just go away period.

Yep, I don't think Tomic is going to win anyone over with his TV appearances or his lame threats. Hewitt has achieved things in tennis that Tomic can only dream of... I'm not sure why he thinks he has merited consideration for DC over the last couple of years anyway.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

It's a good point about the event to be held in November. I'm sure players would like to, but it's going to be like the same reason that everyone bails on the Paris Bercy 1000 at the end. They have YEC to think about, and they're pretty battered up and tired at that point. Bad set up for marquee players. And, btw, yes, Tomic is a douche.

Horsa

Reactions
Britain are already in.
That's great. Thank you very much for the information. It would be nice if we get a win because we don't get many but I can't hold much hope for that.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
So, after this week, we move on directly to the finals gala at the end of year. Is that right?

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So, after this week, we move on directly to the finals gala at the end of year. Is that right?

That's my understanding. They've done the seedings. I grabbed this from the DC site.

1. France
2. Croatia
3. Argentina
4. Belgium
5. Great Britain
6. USA

The remaining nations are ranked 7 to 18 in accordance with the Davis Cup Ranking:

7. Spain
8. Serbia
9. Australia
10. Italy
11. Germany
12. Kazakhstan
13. Canada
14. Japan
15. Colombia
16. Netherlands
17. Russia
18. Chile

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't see Switzerland in the list. Does this mean Fed can claim eligibility for Olympics saying he wanted to participate, but his country was not selected.