Davis Cup Quarter Finals

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
ITALY v FRANCE
Venue: Valletta Cambiaso ASD, Genova, ITA (clay - outdoor)

SPAIN v GERMANY
Venue: Plaza de Toros de Valencia, Valencia, ESP (clay - outdoor)

CROATIA v KAZAKHSTAN
Venue: Varazdin Arena, Varazdin, CRO (clay - indoor)

USA v BELGIUM
Venue: Curb Event Center, Nashville, USA (hard - indoor)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Spain played US at the bull ring in Madrid in a SF some years ago, and everyone figured they got at least one match just for the bullring. LOL! Odds are on Spain, even if Rafa doesn't play. I'd also say that the US is on a run of momentum.

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
It always puzzled me how randomly different surfaces and cities the DC is played. It there any rule surounding the city/surface or the host nation has free choice. Then, how are hosts determined? It's an important detail because host nation has big advantage: local support & players' confidence who are jetlag free.
My questions above won't matter once a new DC format is introduced where they play RR on neutral ground. But once I know the old rules, I have better idea if there are valid reason for a DC format change...

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ My understanding is that the courts need to be ITF standard with court speed parameters and various provisions about the availability of practice courts and other stuff. With regard to who hosts the match... it's based on historical previous meetings where the host is alternated between the two countries. i.e. If the last time Belgium played the USA was hosted by Belgium, then the next time they meet it will be in the USA.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
If Rafael nadal plays, Spain wins for sure, I don't think he should, just Skipp it, Spain most likely could still win they don't need nadal to hold they hand every year.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
If Rafael nadal plays, Spain wins for sure, I don't think he should, just Skipp it, Spain most likely could still win they don't need nadal to hold they hand every year.
Agreed but at the same time remember ha has not played since January and he probably needs to play at least one match before the clay season starts. Like I said before I rather that he would skip one tournament, Roma or Madrid?

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
Agreed but at the same time remember ha has not played since January and he probably needs to play at least one match before the clay season starts. Like I said before I rather that he would skip one tournament, Roma or Madrid?
Well yea that's a good point, playing could help nadal in Monte Carlo, I agree he should Skipp Madrid or Rome, I think should be Rome that he Skips, seeing as he's not did well there in recent years but I would be happy with him not playing Madrid as well.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ My understanding is that the courts need to be ITF standard with court speed parameters and various provisions about the availability of practice courts and other stuff. With regard to who hosts the match... it's based on historical previous meetings where the host is alternated between the two countries. i.e. If the last time Belgium played the USA was hosted by Belgium, then the next time they meet it will be in the USA.
Oh, thanks for that! It's always seemed completely mysterious to me how the host country is chosen. (Though, I guess I wasn't curious enough to actually look it up.) I will add, as to @Chris Koziarz 's question that the host country does choose the surface and venue. I like some of the quirky choices. Besides Spain hold a couple of them in bullrings, the US converted a baseball stadium to clay (yes, clay!) v. Great Britain a few years ago.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well yea that's a good point, playing could help nadal in Monte Carlo, I agree he should Skipp Madrid or Rome, I think should be Rome that he Skips, seeing as he's not did well there in recent years but I would be happy with him not playing Madrid as well.
I think Carol's right that it's a good idea for Rafa to play a match in DC. (I'm guessing he might not play 2.) I think he should skip Barcelona, but between Madrid and Rome, Rome is really better for him.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Croatia has to be heavily favored, but Italy v. France should be tight. The French team seems a bit better, but Italy has the home court advantage. Both teams have some unpredictable players.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In a recent interview in Spanish, Ferrer has said that he's playing DC because he'll have few opportunities to play for Spain going forward. He says he'll play at a maximum 1-2 more years. He also noted he was playing this one because it's in his home town, and his wife is having a baby in a couple of weeks! He said if it has been anywhere else he wouldn't have gone. (For the Spanish-speakers, I read this on http://www.puntodebreak.com)

Reactions: mrzz

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nice presentation of both Teams

Reactions: Moxie

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Pouille won the first match in 5, now it's Chardy's turn vs the Fog

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Surprising result Zverev-Ferrucio 6-4 6-2 6-2, I’ve read that Ferru made 10 double faults and has played pretty bad Hope Rafa gets the point for Spain, otherwise Germany will win

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Extremely high quality match between Nadal and Kohlschreiber, way more competitive than the scoreline indicates. I doubt Zverev will take a set from Nadal. The doubles might decide the tie, as PK is playing well and may well beat Ferrer on the reversed singles.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Extremely high quality match between Nadal and Kohlschreiber, way more competitive than the scoreline indicates. I doubt Zverev will take a set from Nadal. The doubles might decide the tie, as PK is playing well and may well beat Ferrer on the reversed singles.
Thanks for that. I won't be watching any tennis this weekend. How did Nadal look? You imply he looked good, if you think he'll get Sasha in straights.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Thanks for that. I won't be watching any tennis this weekend. How did Nadal look? You imply he looked good, if you think he'll get Sasha in straights.

I just could watch an 15 minutes highlights reel. Nadal looked quite good, defensively perfect, and offense with more accuracy than power (for his standards). I haven't watched the Zverev match, obviously beating Ferrer on clay is a good result but I don't particularly like him playing on this surface, so I would pick Nadal on straights in any case. Considering what I saw I give Zverev 5 games, only way I can see him going deep in a set is by serving close to perfection.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks mrzz...maybe I can watch some highlights later. Davis Cup site says that this win gives Nadal the record with 23 consecutive wins in DC (singles and doubles.) Also, Spain hasn't been beaten at home since Brazil did it in 1999.

Reactions: mrzz