Swiss Indoors 2017, Basel, ATP 500

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Since when did Paire become a lumbersexual?

Reactions: Moxie

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Paire is so out-matched, but I feel like he is like almost every French player in that he could move up a tier with a shift in attitude. He doesn't have elite talent, but he could be (or have been) a fixture in the top 10-20 range.

What is with French tennis players?

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Paire is so out-matched, but I feel like he is like almost every French player in that he could move up a tier with a shift in attitude. He doesn't have elite talent, but he could be (or have been) a fixture in the top 10-20 range.

What is with French tennis players?

I think what you're trying to say is that none of them have any edge. They're all kind of lackadaisical. It's like they just wandered onto the tennis court , thought it was an easy way to make living and\or better than a 9-5 job - and they'd get to travel the world too boot. There's no drive or ambition to be the best of the best. They just want to be good enough to earn a living, save some money and have a laugh while doing it all.. You know...kinda like Nick Kyrgios and Bernie Tomic.

Reactions: shawnbm

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fed won easily. If Shapo wins his match, which is going on as I speak, he will face Fed. That will be an interesting match.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Shapo did not earn his private lesson from TMF. He lost to Mannarino after winning the first set.

ftan

Masters Champion
Reactions
ARe the matches on Tennis Channel. I git time to see ESPN everywhere app on Roku today after forever and it has no matches. What's going on, does anyone know

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
After a couple of long three set matches, as expected Delpo and Cilic make it to SF. The other matches have not even begun as these folks were playing too long. Hope they can finish all matches today itself.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Our stats guys, El Dude, GSM...I have a question: Is there a stat for hawk eye challenges? I am curious as to which challenge is more successful, when you challenge your own ball, as in , linesman calls it out but you think it is in, OR, when you challenge your opponents shot, claiming it was out?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Our stats guys, El Dude, GSM...I have a question: Is there a stat for hawk eye challenges? I am curious as to which challenge is more successful, when you challenge your own ball, as in , linesman calls it out but you think it is in, OR, when you challenge your opponents shot, claiming it was out?

Not sure that they maintain that kind of data (although they could if they want to).

But, I think it should be easier to find the success rates of different players using the Hawk-Eye. Fed typically performs bad on this.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Actually, recently I heard an interesting idea mentioned by a commentator (forgot who it was) about Hawk-Eye. Hawk-Eye has a margin of error. Currently, we use the Hawk-Eye system assuming that it is always correct.

A better way of using Hawk-Eye is as follows: A call is made on the court. A player challenges it. They should use the Hawk-Eye. If Hawk-Eye can answer with absolute certainty, then use the result of Hawk-Eye; if not (i.e., if the ball could be either in or out both being possibilities based on the margin of error), simply retain the original call made on the court (sort of like what happens in NFL; if you want to change the ruling made on the field based on a video review, it should be demonstrable without a doubt that changing the decision is justified).

Finally, many people think that Hawk-Eye is actually using the video that it recorded. No, it does not. It actually calculates (based on the trajectory of the ball and based on available videos taken from different angle) the landing spot of the ball (when direct evidence is not
available).

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
After losing first set, Fed feed a Bagel to Mannarino. Not watching it as I am at work.

Now, on to third set.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Not sure that they maintain that kind of data (although they could if they want to).

But, I think it should be easier to find the success rates of different players using the Hawk-Eye. Fed typically performs bad on this.
Fed definitely is not good at this. But I am looking at this from a psychological perspective and it would really tell me something if I knew the stats I am looking for.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
One hell of a hold by Roger. That pick up to save the last break point was insanely good.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Some power in that last backhand from Roger.