3. GOFFIN, David
4. DEL POTRO, Juan Martin
5. SOCK, Jack
6. BAUTISTA AGUT, Roberto
7. MANNARINO, Adrian
8. ZVEREV, Mischa

swissindoors_centercourt.jpg

The Tournament:

Roger Federer, who once served as a ball boy at the Swiss Indoors Basel, fittingly became the first player to win six titles at his hometown tournament in 2014. Switzerland's leading sport event boasts an impressive list of former champions, including tennis Hall of Famers Bjorn Borg, Ivan Lendl, John McEnroe, Boris Becker, Stefan Edberg and Pete Sampras.

About City

Located on the Rhine River near the borders of France and Germany, Basel contains the country's highest concentration of museums. The culture-centric city, site of the world's most influential art market each June, is also home to the lovely Munster Cathedral, made of red sandstone with a multi-colored tile roof. Green spaces abound, including the popular zoological gardens in the city center. Switzerland's largest site of Roman ruins, Augusta Raurica, are an easy day trip to the east.

Basel is Switzerland's oldest university city. Historic landmarks of the city include the large market square with its richly decorated red sandstone town hall and the late Romanesque-Gothic cathedral. During a walk through the old town, past small boutiques, antique book shops but also shops of modern designers, a visit to the "Läckerli Huus" to try the traditional Basel honey cake is well worth your while. Basel is tradition-conscious and open-minded at the same time, a fact born out by several modern buildings designed by renowned architects such as Herzog & de Meuron, Mario Botta, Diener & Diener and Richard Meyer.

Almost 40 museums make Basel the city with the highest density of museums in the country. Internationally known museums, such as the Basel Art Museum, the museum devoted to the iron sculptor Jean Tinguely, the Fondation Beyeler and the Museum of Cultures attract a great many visitors, as do several galleries and playhouses. Basel is among other things home to the symphony orchestra and the chamber orchestra as well as the musical theatre featuring international productions. And a wide range of classical and contemporary productions are shown on the stages of the Basel Theatre and the Playhouse.

switzerland-basel-mittlere-bridge-old-town.jpg

_DSC3899014-L.jpg

basel_organisation.jpg

rathaus-basel-switzerland-bike-tour-germany-rhine-river-flmartinabegglen.jpg

switzerlandmap-2ee83n5.gif

Tourism Guide:

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Not an easy draw for Roger. Tiafoe probably won't beat him, but he's troubled him, and he's a kid with nothing to lose. Then potentially Shapalov. Same. Cilic has a tough first round v. Verdasco, who played very well v. del Potro in Stockholm.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Results from the Basel International Men's Singles Round 1 matches on Monday

Robin Haase (Netherlands) beat Marco Chiudinelli (Switzerland) 6-2 7-6(3)
Chung Hyeon (South Korea) beat Paolo Lorenzi (Italy) 6-3 6-1
Denis Shapovalov (Canada) beat Yuichi Sugita (Japan) 4-6 6-2 7-6(3)
6-Roberto Bautista (Spain) beat Mikhail Kukushkin (Kazakhstan) 6-0 6-3

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It was a master class by the maestro today against the American. It was clinical and precise.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Tiafoe has to confess now the close game at USO was due to Roger's injury only. Today it was 62 minute match. Fed did not face a break point and won 100% of his first serve points. Broke Tiafoe three times in the first set and once in the second set. Way to go TMF. :clap:

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Aw, give Frances a break...he's still a teenager and developing. He played Fed indoors and in his home town. How did you really think that was going to go?

Reactions: Carol

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I think the scoreline is much more due to Federer´s virtues than Tiafoe´s shortcomings. Watching the extended highlights, some games were brutal, and Tiafoe would have won them against 99,99% of the field.

Reactions: Moxie

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Aw, give Frances a break...he's still a teenager and developing. He played Fed indoors and in his home town. How did you really think that was going to go?

I think the better question is - How did Tiafoe really think it was going to go? :lol6: I said the other day that I thought Roger would be looking to give the kid a beatdown as a reminder - that wasn't the real me at the US Open, kid. And I thoughtTiafoe looked nervous. Playing Roger in his own house is vastly different than playing Roger in the US with American crowds to support you because you're an American. Tiafoe didn't completely suck...but he got a tennis paid lesson from the maestro like so many others before him have...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think the better question is - How did Tiafoe really think it was going to go? :lol6: I said the other day that I thought Roger would be looking to give the kid a beatdown as a reminder - that wasn't the real me at the US Open, kid. And I thoughtTiafoe looked nervous. Playing Roger in his own house is vastly different than playing Roger in the US with American crowds to support you because you're an American. Tiafoe didn't completely suck...but he got a tennis paid lesson from the maestro like so many others before him have...
For sure...on all counts. I'm not in anyway saying that Tiafoe is the next #1. But he has solid potential. Roger held all the cards in this match, and a bit of revenge in his heart. He extracted it. As @mrzz said above, Frances could have done well against a good lot of the field.

Reactions: ftan and shawnbm

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Results from the Basel International Men's Singles Round 1 matches on Tuesday

2-Marin Cilic (Croatia) beat Florian Mayer (Germany) 6-3 0-0 (Mayer retired)
Ryan Harrison (U.S.) beat Alexandr Dolgopolov (Ukraine) 6-4 6-1
1-Roger Federer (Switzerland) beat Frances Tiafoe (U.S.) 6-1 6-3
3-David Goffin (Belgium) beat Peter Gojowczyk (Germany) 6-2 7-5
5-Jack Sock (U.S.) beat Vasek Pospisil (Canada) 3-6 7-6(7) 7-5
Leonardo Mayer (Argentina) beat 8-Mischa Zverev (Germany) 7-5 7-5
Benoit Paire (France) beat Steve Johnson (U.S.) 6-3 7-6(4)

Days Highlights:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Results from the Basel International Men's Singles matches on Wednesday

Round 2
3-David Goffin (Belgium) beat Chung Hyeon (South Korea) 6-4 6-1
5-Jack Sock (U.S.) beat Robin Haase (Netherlands) 6-4 2-6 6-4
6-Roberto Bautista (Spain) beat Ryan Harrison (U.S.) 6-3 7-6(1)

Round 1
4-Juan Martin del Potro (Argentina) beat Joao Sousa (Portugal) 6-1 4-6 6-1
Borna Coric (Croatia) beat Henri Laaksonen (Switzerland) 6-7(8) 6-1 6-3
Julien Benneteau (France) beat Donald Young (U.S.) 6-4 6-2
7-Adrian Mannarino (France) beat Ruben Bemelmans (Belgium) 7-6(0) 4-6 6-1
Marton Fucsovics (Hungary) beat Jared Donaldson (U.S.) 6-0 6-1