SHANGHAI ROLEX MASTERS - ATP-1000 - OCT. 6 to 13, 2013.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
del potro destroyed rafa..

did del potro take nadal out of his pocket ?..or is he still in there crying. :snigger

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
DarthFed said:
NADAL2005RG said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
NADAL2005RG said:
Nadal has very good results at the World Tour Finals (apart from 2009).

No he doesn't.

Federer is one of the best World Tour Finals players ever, and Nadal took him to 3 sets in 2010 in the final of the WTF. And I rate Nadal a better hardcourt player now than back then. And I rate Federer a worse hardcourt player now than back then. And I think Djokovic will struggle to prioritize the WTF enough, with the Davis Cup to follow. Nadal is my pick for the 2013 WTF.

2 semis and 1 final is not good results for any good player. Rafa has stunk it up there but I agree that 2013 is his best chance. The Best World Tour Final player ever will be out of the picture (either literally or he will be 1-2 at best). Djoker, DP and Rafa seem to be the only legit picks.

I wouldn't rule out Tsonga either, he's an outsider. If he makes it.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This makes me even more annoyed with Del Potro for losing at Indian Wells and falling to Isner in the Cincinnati semifinals.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Front242 said:
Kieran said:
Rafa should pull up clutching his knee! :snigger

Was watching a clip of Nadal against Roddick where he hit his knee at the change of ends only to later fist pump in no apparent discomfort on one knee. He's a beaut. I'll find it later.

As promised ;) He belts his knee multiple times and then seems to forget there's supposed to be something wrong by throwing up said knee well up in the air with his trademark fist pump and knee combo.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kiyq3MOWDhc&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

You're kidding me, right? This is your smoking gun? He pulled his punches and then maybe an hour later fist pumped. I'm not sure what this video signifies at all... :huh:

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
And this match really illustrated why it is preposterous to call Nadal's forehand "the best in the game". I'd love to see someone explain how it is better than, for example, Del Potro's.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
This makes me even more annoyed with Del Potro for losing at Indian Wells and falling to Isner in the Cincinnati semifinals.

If every player could play their best all the time Nalbandian would be the slam count leader and would never have lost a match. Also, tennis would be pretty boring. Try these for size, meant to be good.

9-2000-05-25.gif

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
And this match really illustrated why it is preposterous to call Nadal's forehand "the best in the game". I'd love to see someone explain how it is better than, for example, Del Potro's.

This is your problem, buddy. You try draw huge definitive conclusions from one match. Sometimes even from one highlights reel... ;)

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
calitennis127 said:

This is your problem, buddy. You try draw huge definitive conclusions from one match. Sometimes even from one highlights reel... ;)

Not true at all. Delpo has more pedigree and more history with the forehand than just any ATP pro.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
calitennis127 said:

It's pretty ineffective this part of the year due to the surface but even as a non fan I'd have to admit his FH has been pretty stellar on the other surfaces this year. Obviously where the spin is at its most deadly is clay when the loopy topspin forces players to return at shoulder height. Best in the game this year for consistency. Fed's FH is nothing like it used to be and Del Potro eventhough he's got a vicious FH, hasn't won enough to have proven his is the best.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
If anyone could find a site showing points won with FH winners that'd be interesting viewing.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
Kieran said:
calitennis127 said:

Not true at all. Delpo has more pedigree and more history with the forehand than just any ATP pro.

How are you measuring that, my friend?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Federer, Roddick, Blake, Gonzalez and truckloads of others come into the equation if we're talking historically great forehands and I doubt Del Potro is above them in terms of achievements with that shot.

And we already mentioned Nadal.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
calitennis127 said:
Kieran said:
calitennis127 said:

Average level on a match-by-match basis over the course of the year.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
Kieran said:
calitennis127 said:
Kieran said:
calitennis127 said:

That year must have been 2009.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
Kieran said:
calitennis127 said:
Kieran said:
calitennis127 said:

Great. So you have some stats and records you'd like to share? And analysis of the same?

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
calitennis127 said:
Kieran said:
calitennis127 said:
Kieran said:

Great. So you have some stats and records you'd like to share? And analysis of the same?

I think Delpo's forehand can stand up pretty well in that kind of analysis, no?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
calitennis127 said:

Oh, I think that when it clicks it's magnificent, but you're the one who said he's got the figures and stuff to prove it has "more pedigree and more history" than any other pro...

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
If he had the best FH in history he'd have more than 1 slam...and he currently hasn't won a masters 1000. Maybe he will tomorrow.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
calitennis127 said:

Oh, I think that when it clicks it's magnificent, but you're the one who said he's got the figures and stuff to prove it has "more pedigree and more history" than any other pro...

On an average match-by-match basis Delpo's forehand is, overall, better than Nadal's. Nadal is able to move quicker for longer because he has more stamina. This allows him to set up his forehand better than Delpo can set up his FOR LONGER PERIODS OF TIME, but that doesn't mean Nadal's FH is better. It means that Nadal has more stamina.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
Kieran said:
calitennis127 said:

On an average match-by-match basis Delpo's forehand is, overall, better than Nadal's. Nadal is able to move quicker for longer because he has more stamina. This allows him to set up his forehand better than Delpo can set up his, but that doesn't mean Nadal's FH is better. It means that Nadal has more stamina.

Yeah, that's quite a forensic analysis. Proof, indeed! :huh: