SHANGHAI ROLEX MASTERS - ATP-1000 - OCT. 6 to 13, 2013.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Congrats to Juan, good to see him playing well again. Huge step for him if he is able to take out Novak tomorrow. It's a very big match for both players (Nole still scrambling to try to get #1 back and DP looking for his biggest title since the USO) and I'm happy with whoever takes it.

Likewise. Happy whoever wins it and matches between these 2 are usually extremely entertaining high octane stuff.

N

NADAL2005RG

Front242 said:
NADAL2005RG said:
kskate2 said:
NADAL2005RG said:
Hopefully the Naderer h2h is added to at Basel.

Your concern seems misguided and misplaced. It should be relegated to your boy getting supreme arse whoopins in back-to-back losses.

I'd rather straight sets losses in Asia than marathons in Asia. Got to get your priorities straight.

True, it's better for Nadal to completely tire himself out in the slams instead for two reasons: you love watching players struggle with 5 set matches and clearly struggling with 6 hour matches sets you up for the rest of the season.

Well like I said earlier, 9 of my 10 favorite matches are 5-setters. And the match that isn't a 5-setter is the 2013 USO final. So I never consider a marathon 3-setters as being a favorite (even the Madrid marathon between Nadal/Djokovic). See, marathon 3-setters generally aren't good for your slam career. If you are going to play a marathon, it best be for the glory of a slam title, not Shanghai.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Has a newly crowned #1 ever been removed from the facilities in this manner (2 cans of whoop-ass opened in the span of 7 days)?

As much as I'd like to gloat about Whafa losses these aren't too big of a deal for him. He has had the perfect year and is going to really target the YEC. And as much as I can't stand Whafa I don't want Nole to be #1 at year end because it is undeserved even if he wins every match the rest of the year. Nole has done well to recover from the ugliness that was the USO final so just getting good results might get him on track for 2014.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
NADAL2005RG said:
Hopefully the Naderer h2h is added to at Basel.

Your concern seems misguided and misplaced. It should be relegated to your boy getting supreme arse whoopins in back-to-back losses.

It would be far more concerning had said cans of whooping occurred at a time of a season when Nadal has not historically struggled. He's just not that good on these surfaces. Luckily, none of the slams are played there. Moreover, I'd suggest that any 'concern' would be highly misplaced and quite the knee jerk reaction, when the losses in question are taking place right after what was, an absolutely unbelievable run. Del Potro is a phenomenal player who has the game to trouble Nadal, and Novak is Novak. No need for any concern. The newly crowned number 1 will find consolation for these 'ass whoopings' by looking at the list of trophies he's added to his trophy room this year alone.

N

NADAL2005RG

1972Murat said:
NADAL2005RG said:
1972Murat said:
NADAL2005RG said:
I must admit I like the Nadjokovic matchup on hardcourt more than on clay. My favorite Nadjokovic matches have been the hardcourt meetings, so I enjoyed 2010 (when they met at US Open and World Tour Finals), 2011 (when they met at Indian Wells, Miami, US Open) and 2013. The more Nadjokovic hardcourt finals the merrier for me.

^Not the 2012 AO final, the 5 setter? I thought you like those man...the physical exertion and what not?;)

I said 2010, 2011, 2013. The reason why I didn't include 2012 is because they only met once that year on hardcourts. I like the years when they met multiple times on hardcourts, is the bottom line.

So you did not like that match , even though it had everything you described before as being your favorites, because they did not meet again on hards that year? Thanks for clarifying.

Well I tried to clarify, but you still didn't get it. See I was listing my favorite years, not my favorite events. My favorite years are 2010, 2011, 2013. Why? Because we got to see multiple hardcourt meetings between Nadal and Djokovic. 2012 was a disappointing year because we didn't get to see multiple hardcourt meetings between Nadal and Djokovic. But you want me to now list my favorite events? That's a different conversation. AO 2012 is my favorite hardcourt loss ever.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
...In before Nadal's dominance over the entire tour on hards is somehow insignificant due to losing to two elite players on his weakest surface. Everything he's done right until the last seven days is a testament to high serving percentages and stamina, while those two losses are a result of a lack of talent.

There, I just saved this thread a long post that few care about.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
DarthFed said:
kskate2 said:
Has a newly crowned #1 ever been removed from the facilities in this manner (2 cans of whoop-ass opened in the span of 7 days)?

As much as I'd like to gloat about Whafa losses these aren't too big of a deal for him. He has had the perfect year and is going to really target the YEC. And as much as I can't stand Whafa I don't want Nole to be #1 at year end because it is undeserved even if he wins every match the rest of the year. Nole has done well to recover from the ugliness that was the USO final so just getting good results might get him on track for 2014.

The chances that Nole gets the year end no 1 are pretty remote. But if he pulls it off it is not that undeserved, although Id say Nadal has earned it a bit more. Nole made it to three slam finals and almost beat Nadal at RG. That is not a bad year by any standard.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:

Well, he only became world #1 on Monday, so it's only one can of whip ass. ;)

Sounds like a great match by Juan, looking forward to a brawl tomorrow. These two played one of the matches of the year at Wimbledon and an encore would be welcome!

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Denisovich said:
DarthFed said:
kskate2 said:

The chances that Nole gets the year end no 1 are pretty remote. But if he pulls it off it is not that undeserved, although Id say Nadal has earned it a bit more. Nole made it to three slam finals and almost beat Nadal at RG. That is not a bad year by any standard.

If he gets it, it's deserved. It would be a testament to a year-round consistency and a very strong finish (since getting it back would imply winning virtually everything from now till the end of the year). However, I don't think people would feel comfortable calling him the best player this year, and he certainly wouldn't have had the best year. Let's not ignore that getting it back -- however unlikely -- would also be a result of Nadal missing the first major of the season.

N

NADAL2005RG

The post-US Open events are usually not victories for Nadal, but Nadal has very good results at the World Tour Finals (apart from 2009). Nadal reached the final of the 2010 World Tour Finals and took a set from Federer (and beat Djokovic and Murray). And in 2011, Federer again beat Nadal (preventing Nadal from reaching the semis - and Nadal still had a shot at reaching the semis but lost to Tsonga in a tight 3-setter in the last RR match, and then went and won the Davis Cup). So while Nadal isn't known for winning post-USO, he is very good at the World Tour Finals and my pick for the 2013 WTF crown.

Srini

Futures Player
Reactions
Not a big deal for Rafa but a big deal for Delpo. Nice win. Novak winning tomorrow will make fight for #1 next year interesting but I want Delpo to win. Will be so much fun if he starts beating these guys back to back. May not translate into grand slams yet but there is always a start.

N

NADAL2005RG

Broken_Shoelace said:
NADAL2005RG said:
Nadal has very good results at the World Tour Finals (apart from 2009).

No he doesn't.

Federer is one of the best World Tour Finals players ever, and Nadal took him to 3 sets in 2010 in the final of the WTF. And I rate Nadal a better hardcourt player now than back then. And I rate Federer a worse hardcourt player now than back then. And I think Djokovic will struggle to prioritize the WTF enough, with the Davis Cup to follow. Nadal is my pick for the 2013 WTF.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Kieran said:
Rafa should pull up clutching his knee! :snigger

Was watching a clip of Nadal against Roddick where he hit his knee at the change of ends only to later fist pump in no apparent discomfort on one knee. He's a beaut. I'll find it later.

As promised ;) He belts his knee multiple times and then seems to forget there's supposed to be something wrong by throwing up said knee well up in the air with his trademark fist pump and knee combo.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kiyq3MOWDhc&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
NADAL2005RG said:

No he doesn't.

Federer is one of the best World Tour Finals players ever, and Nadal took him to 3 sets in 2010 in the final of the WTF. And I rate Nadal a better hardcourt player now than back then. And I rate Federer a worse hardcourt player now than back then. And I think Djokovic will struggle to prioritize the WTF enough, with the Davis Cup to follow. Nadal is my pick for the 2013 WTF.

Ok, so how does any of that back the idea that Nadal has had very good results at the WTF?

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
Front242 said:
Kieran said:

Was watching a clip of Nadal against Roddick where he hit his knee at the change of ends only to later fist pump in no apparent discomfort on one knee. He's a beaut. I'll find it later.

As promised ;) He belts his knee multiple times and then seems to forget there's supposed to be something wrong by throwing up said knee well up in the air with his trademark fist pump and knee combo.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kiyq3MOWDhc&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Yup. It's almost as inconsistent as being skeptical about the extent of his injury during his 7-months layoff only to discuss the "magical effect" of his therapy, and thus recognizing that he DID have a serious injury which required therapy. Which one is it? :)

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
NADAL2005RG said:
1972Murat said:
NADAL2005RG said:
1972Murat said:
NADAL2005RG said:
I must admit I like the Nadjokovic matchup on hardcourt more than on clay. My favorite Nadjokovic matches have been the hardcourt meetings, so I enjoyed 2010 (when they met at US Open and World Tour Finals), 2011 (when they met at Indian Wells, Miami, US Open) and 2013. The more Nadjokovic hardcourt finals the merrier for me.

^Not the 2012 AO final, the 5 setter? I thought you like those man...the physical exertion and what not?;)

I said 2010, 2011, 2013. The reason why I didn't include 2012 is because they only met once that year on hardcourts. I like the years when they met multiple times on hardcourts, is the bottom line.

So you did not like that match , even though it had everything you described before as being your favorites, because they did not meet again on hards that year? Thanks for clarifying.

Well I tried to clarify, but you still didn't get it. See I was listing my favorite years, not my favorite events. My favorite years are 2010, 2011, 2013. Why? Because we got to see multiple hardcourt meetings between Nadal and Djokovic. 2012 was a disappointing year because we didn't get to see multiple hardcourt meetings between Nadal and Djokovic. But you want me to now list my favorite events? That's a different conversation. AO 2012 is my favorite hardcourt loss ever.

Tha'sOk, I am slow sometimes, because when you started the post by saying you like that match-up better on hard courts and your favourites have been on hard courts, I assumed the AO classic would have been right up there. My bad.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
del potrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo winz

:clap that was awesome..

the crowd gasped ..the fanz watching telly went crayzeeee.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
NADAL2005RG said:

No he doesn't.

2 semis and 1 final is not good results for any good player. Rafa has stunk it up there but I agree that 2013 is his best chance. The Best World Tour Final player ever will be out of the picture (either literally or he will be 1-2 at best). Djoker, DP and Rafa seem to be the only legit picks.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
Front242 said:
Front242 said:
Kieran said:

Yup. It's almost as inconsistent as being skeptical about the extent of his injury during his 7-months layoff only to discuss the "magical effect" of his therapy, and thus recognizing that he DID have a serious injury which required therapy. Which one is it? :)

I don't believe he had any PRP treatment this time round but maybe he did. Seems to have been just recuperation time by not playing for 7 months.