Rugby Union

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Astonishing defence by the wallabies. They have a real chance. I think only the all blacks at their best will beat them

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
There's an outside chance of an all Southern Hemisphere semis but at a pinch I'll say that Ireland will be the party poopers. All Blacks need to start playing now or they're out!

Alien

Reactions
I dont think Wales will defeat South Africa. Ireland indeed the fav but Argentina is used to bring some surprise; it should be tough. Australia, All Blacks, I think a given.

South prevailing again at least 3 out of 4 SF will come from here under IMO.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
So here are my picks for the first round of knock out matches...

South Africa vs Wales : South Africa for me. I think the first match humiliation is over, I didn't like what I saw in the Wales game against the Wallabies. They had such dominance when Australia were down to 13 men, but they kept trying to play through the forwards. It just exposed the injury losses they've had to their backs, and shows how limited their game has to be out of necessity. I think the Boks will do them in a tight match.

New Zealand v France : New Zealand all the way. The French haven't looked fluid, and although  they can be unpredictable, I just don't think they've shown much of their past fluidity. If they're going to do anything it's going to be through their forwards. But it really relies on the All Blacks taking them forgranted this time, and I think that will never happen. They've suffered at French hands enough for them to treat this as a final. I think this might actually be the most one sided of all the matches.

Australia v Scotland : Almost pointless saying the wallabies are going to win this one. I'm not sure anyone but a few Scots p1ssed on whisky will think anything other than an Australian win. The way Samoa were able to run the ball against them... no way no how!

Argentina v Ireland : If they hadn't had critical injuries I might have been less sure about this one. I think Argentina will win. They have a frightening record against Ireland in World Cups, and I think people have missed the fact that this is not the old Argentina. These guys move the ball through their backs like any of the top southern hemisphere teams. When I went to watch them at Wembley versus the All Blacks I was the only one of my mates that predicted a tight match. These guys know how to play the top SH teams now. They will not fear Ireland, and their 10 is as good as any in the tournament. If Ireland lose discipline, this guy will kick the points all day long. They just have a bit more than anything Ireland have faced, but pundits over here haven't really understood that. They keep thinking of Argentina as a second tier team. They are not, and haven't been for years

Bring it on! Buying a crate of London Pride this evening, and settling down for the battle. And to make my day perfect the Spurs Liverpool match will be on first before I can settle down for the main event!

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
A sporting feast @federberg .  I'm going to have to miss Liverpool/Spurs and catch up on some shuteye.

Your picks are interesting and I can see the justification, although I think Ireland will prevail in a tight game, and I'm holding out for a historic Welsh victory against the Boks.  We beat them in the last Autumn internationals and I haven't been overly impressed by them here.  The welsh back row have been superb at the breakdown and they can't beat us without the ball.  Still, they will be favourites - I just have a whim that Wales will sneak a tight match.

This has been the best world cup I've ever watched - so many games that are close to call.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes I agree, it's been amazing. I think that match will probably be the closest of the lot. And to be honest, that's the one that I wouldn't be surprised to get wrong. The clincher for me was how short of ideas Wales actually were against Australia. They made the wallabies defence look better than it was because they refused to move the ball through the backs. There's no question that the Boks will have a more predictable offence than Australia did. But with guys as good as Habana and Pietersen on the wings, I'm not sure they have to be that creative. Let's just say that if Wales are able to win it will probably be the match of the tournament, assuming Les Bleu don't have one of their mercurial days of course.

Definitely worth a punt on an all SH semi line up

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, I can't see Wales beating the All Blacks, the Springboks will be a tough enough assignment. I'd be happy making the semis personally.

Approaching midnight here in Oz but I have to stay up for the match. Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
@Federberg - You watching this pal.  Wales go into half time leading 13-12.  I'm as tight as anything man, butterflies in the stomach and murdering some Dry Dock lager.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
It's a great so far mate. Boks don't look like scoring a try. Wales look fantastic at the breakdown but they need to get more disciplined in the 2nd half. This is so tight!

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Federberg said:
It’s a great so far mate. Boks don’t look like scoring a try. Wales look fantastic at the breakdown but they need to get more disciplined in the 2nd half. This is so tight!

Agreed. A bit of sloppy discipline by the welsh in their own half and the Springboks bag 12 points on four penalties. I think Wales are playing all the attacking rugby. Second half is going to be as tight as hell, but Wales look the team more likely to be scoring tries.

ANOTHER great game in this tournament - the best world cup to date IMO.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh it's no contest. This is by far the best. The only one that comes close was Jonah Lomu in South Africa, and even then it was just the knockout matches. This has been awesome particularly because of the so called 2nd tier nations

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
That was brutal rugby. They really tried mate. The power game is bread and butter to the boks

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Gutted man. 23-19.  Great match and being honest, the Springboks deserved it after the second half performance.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I feel for you mate. That was powerful rugby in the second half. They didn't score enough when they were dominant in the first half

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
That put me in mind of what Roger did to Murray at Wimbledon. Good grief!  :good:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hi @Federberg, no I missed it as I had to goto bed after the Wales game but I'll catch up with it this morning here. 62-13... wow, a few ghosts laid to rest with that pummelling.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
What a morning! First No1e destroyed #2 player and then ABs destroyed their foe 62-13. One can almost say this was Baby Lomu vs France, since Savia scored 3 tries. I hope AB will stay in this form in next two matches and I am looking forward to the semifinal. They are always motivated against Boks too.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
britbox Other Sports 4
Federberg Other Sports 3