Roland Garros / French Open 2023 [Women] - Grand Slam

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Garcia is struggling with confidence ,and players are going to make Iga run just to test that knee.This draw has lots of grenades and any seeded player can lose to qualifiers or unseeded players.I want to be surprised at this event..I am hoping for a surprise win by Keys..
Sabalenka is iffy as well. I won’t be surprised if she loses in the first few rounds. Keys winning? That would be incredible, but I won’t hold my breath. I wish Gauff could do it, but unfortunately I don’t think she will win either. I think we’re all going to be surprised, lol!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Garcia is struggling with confidence ,and players are going to make Iga run just to test that knee.This draw has lots of grenades and any seeded player can lose to qualifiers or unseeded players.I want to be surprised at this event..I am hoping for a surprise win by Keys..
I dont know what the problem is with Garcia, she got back with the coach, when she had those good results last year, was in tears in her last match at Rome, agree mentally she is not there, regardless of the knee

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sabalenka is iffy as well. I won’t be surprised if she loses in the first few rounds. Keys winning? That would be incredible, but I won’t hold my breath. I wish Gauff could do it, but unfortunately I don’t think she will win either. I think we’re all going to be surprised, lol!
If Aryna can watch her margins on clay, she can do better than she has at RG, from memory she has not got past the 3rd rd, also she can be the No 1 player if Swiatek does not make the SF

Reactions: AnonymousFan

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
Just a thought: Maybe Paula shouldn't play Eastbourne or the Cincinnati Masters this year.

Paula Badosa ruled out of French Open with spinal fracture

Paula Badosa will miss the French Open after suffering a stress fracture in her spine at the Italian Open last week, the former world No. 2 said Thursday.

Badosa, 25, who was ranked second a year ago, has dropped to 29th amid an injury-ridden season. The Spanish player was knocked out in the quarterfinals in Rome.

"Just when everything seemed to be fine again, I received bad news just before starting a Grand Slam. At the tournament in Rome I suffered a stress fracture in my spine," she said in a statement.

"It has been very hard news after such a difficult start of the season with injuries. This is going to keep me out of competition for some weeks."

Badosa also missed the Australian Open in January due to a thigh injury sustained in a tuneup tournament in Adelaide.

The French Open begins Sunday.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just a thought: Maybe Paula shouldn't play Eastbourne or the Cincinnati Masters this year.

Paula Badosa ruled out of French Open with spinal fracture

Paula Badosa will miss the French Open after suffering a stress fracture in her spine at the Italian Open last week, the former world No. 2 said Thursday.

Badosa, 25, who was ranked second a year ago, has dropped to 29th amid an injury-ridden season. The Spanish player was knocked out in the quarterfinals in Rome.

"Just when everything seemed to be fine again, I received bad news just before starting a Grand Slam. At the tournament in Rome I suffered a stress fracture in my spine," she said in a statement.

"It has been very hard news after such a difficult start of the season with injuries. This is going to keep me out of competition for some weeks."

Badosa also missed the Australian Open in January due to a thigh injury sustained in a tuneup tournament in Adelaide.

The French Open begins Sunday.
Sad news for Badosa just when she was getting some good results another injury, I wish her a speedy recovery

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Looking at the overall draw it is a bit top heavy with Swiatek and Rybakina in the same half
Barbora Krejcikova could be a dangerous player she has defeated Iga twice.,a former RG GS winner she knows how to play on clay

Reactions: AnonymousFan

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
The bottom half of the draw will be played across Sunday and Monday
The top half of the draw will be played across Monday and Tuesday
People who play on Sun will get 2 days off and not have to play again until Wed. I like the extra time off, but don't really agree w/ a slam starting on Sun.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yay..just happy for her,she is really putting in the work.She is such a talented player who deserves a break..
BTW Taylor with be teaming up with Leylah Fernandez in the doubles draw at Roland Garros, I hope Fernandez has her ball toss in order., her serve one of the main reasons she lost her match against Stearns the other day on clay

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
BTW Taylor with be teaming up with Leylah Fernandez in the doubles draw at Roland Garros, I hope Fernandez has her ball toss in order., her serve one of the main reasons she lost her match against Stearns the other day on clay
I hope so to, but unless she spent the last few days solely doing serve drills, I would say no. She can't fix that during a slam.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hoergren,

If you are still around good to see Tausen getting through quaifiers, hopefully for the rest of the year she can stay injury free
Oh yes and I'm following Denmarks new (almost) hope. She's been through a row of letdowns since Miami 2021, but it seems that she's powering her way back with her new coach the Spaniard Carlos Martinez. A few highligts though. Saved Denmark from moving down in BJK cup. Going to play on Denmarks team in The Hopman cup in July with Holger Rune - me thinks the other teams will be surprised, not knowing Clara who has some powerfull play. Second match in FO qualifying was a flawless performance where she's back in the top like in Lyon and Luxembourg.
Apart from that I like good female tennis - not watching the men . you have to have a nice view too.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh yes and I'm following Denmarks new (almost) hope. She's been through a row of letdowns since Miami 2021, but it seems that she's powering her way back with her new coach the Spaniard Carlos Martinez. A few highligts though. Saved Denmark from moving down in BJK cup. Going to play on Denmarks team in The Hopman cup in July with Holger Rune - me thinks the other teams will be surprised, not knowing Clara who has some powerfull play. Second match in FO qualifying was a flawless performance where she's back in the top like in Lyon and Luxembourg.
Apart from that I like good female tennis - not watching the men . you have to have a nice view too.
I read that Clara was playing with Rune in the Hopman Cup in July, yes she is a powerful player, like Rune, those 2 will be a tough doubles team for their opponents. Lets see how she fares at RG, and stays healthy for the rest of the year

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
These are the scenarios if No 2 Aryna Sabalenka to take over a world No 1 at Roland Garros this year, Sabalenka will open her campaign on Sunday against Kostyuk, remember Sabalenka has not gone past R3 at Roland Garros.

. If Sabalenka reaches the round of 16 or QFs, then Swiatek would need to reach the SFs to have a chance of staying at No 1
. Should Swiatek lose before the QFs, then Sabalenka will take over as world No 1 on Monday June 12 after Roland Garros ends.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW dont expect to see a hand shake between Sabalenka and Kostyuk in their match tomorrow, Kostyuk has really come out in the media and condemned Russia and what they have done to Ukraine people in the current war.

Reactions: Hoergren

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sad news for Anna Kalinskaya after her MRI scan in Rome, after she had to retire in her match against Rybakina, ( leg injury) she has decided to withdraw from Roland Garros and takes a few weeks off, Ana has been playing well and has been achieving some of the best results of her career.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Great win for Muchova who has defeated the No 9 seed Maria Sakkari in SS 76(5) 75
Love watching Muchova great variety and also high IQ for tennis well done Muchova who seems to have the 'wood' on Sakkari

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Good win from Leylah Fernandez ( I was a bit worried after she lost the other day, her ball toss/serve was her downfall) she defeated Linette (21) 63 16 63! she needed that victory! defending QFs points this year at RG

Last edited: