Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Here's a little chart for y'all.

Roland Garros - Big Three Era
Screen Shot 2023-06-14 at 5.38.43 PM.png

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
The last player to "sneak" out a slam might be Gaston Gaudio. I'm not sure that's going to happen much anymore, with players with such big weapons. You could almost say Cilic snuck one out at the USO 2014, but big weapons were involved. He's tall, and his serve was on fire. If Ruud wants to win a Slam, he's got a LOT of work to do. I don't know if he's a lesser version of David Ferrer, or a similar one, but, in the big moments, just being sturdy doesn't get it done, no matter how much I admire the ethic and the tennis.
Cilic doesn't get enough respect. His slam was nowhere close to sneaking out. He crushed Federer on the way to winning the slam. And if not for Federer's resurgence, Cilic has 3 slams like Wawrinka. Cilic is closing in on 600 career wins. Gaudio doesn't even have half of that.

If anyone snuck out a slam, it was Dominic Thiem. He won a slam where Rafa wasn't in the draw and Djokovic was defaulted.

Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Cilic doesn't get enough respect. His slam was nowhere close to sneaking out. He crushed Federer on the way to winning the slam. And if not for Federer's resurgence, Cilic has 3 slams like Wawrinka. Cilic is closing in on 600 career wins. Gaudio doesn't even have half of that.

If anyone snuck out a slam, it was Dominic Thiem. He won a slam where Rafa wasn't in the draw and Djokovic was defaulted.
I see your point, but there is a certain cloud around that due to his getting a doping ban. He blamed his mother, and they let him off. I'm not weighing in on that one way or another, but it's why his nickname is "Cough Drop" around here. (Kieran coinage, I believe.) I do he agree that he played an immaculate USO in 2014. Slid by under the radar until he demolished Roger in the semis, with no one left by a worn-down Nishikori between him and the trophy.

You're probably right about the Thiem one. IMO opinion, he never played better than his B-game (at the time,) the whole tournament, then went down 2 sets to love in the final, but he had the great folder on the other side, Alex Zverev. It was the worst men's final at a Slam for many years, if you ask me. Neither was brilliant, but someone had to win.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I see your point, but there is a certain cloud around that due to his getting a doping ban. He blamed his mother, and they let him off. I'm not weighing in on that one way or another, but it's why his nickname is "Cough Drop" around here. (Kieran coinage, I believe.) I do he agree that he played an immaculate USO in 2014. Slid by under the radar until he demolished Roger in the semis, with no one left by a worn-down Nishikori between him and the trophy.

You're probably right about the Thiem one. IMO opinion, he never played better than his B-game (at the time,) the whole tournament, then went down 2 sets to love in the final, but he had the great folder on the other side, Alex Zverev. It was the worst men's final at a Slam for many years, if you ask me. Neither was brilliant, but someone had to win.
Please dont remind me of that USO final, agree Moxie the worst final I have witnessed, my hubby walked out after the 1st set, he said if this is the future of mens tennis, I will watch dart competitions from now on:) that was a Pete Sampras fan talking btw:)

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
IIf you think Novak cause Carlos to cramp, that is your theory, not mine, I dont invest in hypothetical's, it was not a clear cut case, that Novak cause him cramps,being in the medical profession, I deal in facts., cramps can be cause by a lack of hydration, lack of magnesium in a player system,, Todd Woodbridge, a former player, who was one of my commies on the match, stated it was more physical related than stress related. I suggest he get a full FBC in his bloods to see if he is lacking in essential vitimans and minerals, if low, can be a factor in why he cramped, he did say he felt stressed, though to me there has to be more in it than just stress.

I know I seen Carlos shot before

BratSrbin

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Boris Becker: "Yes, we are talking about Djokovic, the most successful. So these are all talents that Novak has, and he brought to the day, and what's more, Carlos walked [ran] too much. This is a best-of-five match, you know your opponent is playing well, you have to manage your strength. When it's 40-0, let the ball go by. And he didn't do that."

Reactions: Fiero425

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Boris Becker: "Yes, we are talking about Djokovic, the most successful. So these are all talents that Novak has, and he brought to the day, and what's more, Carlos walked [ran] too much. This is a best-of-five match, you know your opponent is playing well, you have to manage your strength. When it's 40-0, let the ball go by. And he didn't do that."
Now we’re supposed to go by the words of Boris “Prison Bitch” Becker? Please. What does he have to say about Rafa never letting a game go, even when his opponent is up 40-0?

BratSrbin

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Now we’re supposed to go by the words of Boris “Prison Bitch” Becker? Please. What does he have to say about Rafa never letting a game go, even when his opponent is up 40-0?

Becker is a person whose word in tennis means 1000 times more than yours.

• Haha

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Ako nisi informisan da ti prenesem šta drugi kažu, na primer:

"Australian Open: Boris Becker back as a TV expert​

Good news for German-speaking fans: Boris Becker is back on the tennis stage after his release from prison. At the Australian Open he will be active again as a commentator."
I’m glad he is, I like Boris. I think he was taken advantage of way back in his youth and hasn’t been well advised since. But he’s done his time and I’m glad he’s getting work..

BratSrbin

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I’m glad he is, I like Boris. I think he was taken advantage of way back in his youth and hasn’t been well advised since. But he’s done his time and I’m glad he’s getting work..

They declare him an expert, why didn't you contact them to dispute that claim?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

Tiriac didn't become the 1st tennis billionaire under honest means that's for sure! I wonder how many of his clients were taken? :pleading-face: :fearful-face::anxious-face-with-sweat:

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Tiriac didn't become the 1st tennis billionaire under honest means that's for sure! I wonder how many of his clients were taken? :pleading-face: :fearful-face::anxious-face-with-sweat:
Yeah, and Boris was only 17 at the time. I think his emotional and mental growth was affected by such attention at so young an age, and nobody was looking after him..

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, and Boris was only 17 at the time. I think his emotional and mental growth was affected by such attention at so young an age, and nobody was looking after him..
Much as I’m not a fan of Ion Tiriac, I wouldn’t put all this on his shoulders. True, he made himself rich off of Becker but Becker didn’t exactly suffer financially or career wise under Tiriac’s management, which Boris ended in 1993 30 years ago.

Boris came from a solid upper middle class background, IIRC his father was an architect who also owned/operated a tennis Centre in Leimen where Boris started playing. So unlike say, Arantcha Sanchez Vicario or Del Potro, it doesn’t seem his parents where gold diggers who pumped their son dry, and I’m sure he had access to financial advisers, accountants, etc due to his background. We forget now but for awhile brand & sponsorship wise Becker was huge, wildly marketable with German corporations ( & others). Post Borg/Mac maybe only Agassi had the same marketing clout. Even when his playing days were over he had lucrative deals and was commentating, coaching, etc.

Poor management again seems the usual suspect:

Plus it didn’t help Boris had an extremely extravagant spending lifestyle that he never reigned in despite costly divorces, child support payments and investments gone sour.

A man child at 17, Ok, as a 55 year old, not so pretty.

Last edited: